Panasonic 2011 fluctuating brightness thread

I,m considering buying a 46gt30b. Will the models currently in the shops have the FBR problem? Should I buy one?

Anyone else with any comments. really torn as the 46gt30b i saw in the shop had a much better picture than a sony kdl46ex723 on the same source (yesterdays gp qualifying). the on track pictures from the sony were very poor compared to the panny.

Anyone else with any comments. really torn as the 46gt30b i saw in the shop had a much better picture than a sony kdl46ex723 on the same source (yesterdays gp qualifying). the on track pictures from the sony were very poor compared to the panny.

The new FW fixes the problem on the GT, so yes go for it.:)

It is an amazing television - so far i have no complaints at all. SD and HD on Virgin is great. Blu Ray is amazing. Not really tested 3D but what i have was great. Xbox is groovy too.

Not callibrated mine - not going to either. No FBRs that i can spot - No green spodges - and no 50 hz issues.

As stated above - GO FOR IT :thumbsup:

I have been following this thread for months but have not commented. I live in the UK and have a GT30 with terrible fluctuating brightness, I have been in contact with Panasonic UK about getting problem fixed and after months of emails and phone calls Panasonic are coming to my house on Thursday to try and fix the issue. I have worked in Broadcast Television for 10 years and have technical knowledge and due to this they are using me as a test case to what is potentially a fix for the UK.

What I need is some test material to show them, I have the social network and inception on Blu-ray but could do with more examples, I know that they have been many mentioned on this forum but I really don't have time to go through it searching for them. If anybody could send me the names of the films that have obvious examples I will try and get hold of them before Thursday.

Any help would be appreciated so I can get this problem solved for the UK.

I have been following this thread for months but have not commented. I live in the UK and have a GT30 with terrible fluctuating brightness, I have been in contact with Panasonic UK about getting problem fixed and after months of emails and phone calls Panasonic are coming to my house on Thursday to try and fix the issue. I have worked in Broadcast Television for 10 years and have technical knowledge and due to this they are using me as a test case to what is potentially a fix for the UK.

What I need is some test material to show them, I have the social network and inception on Blu-ray but could do with more examples, I know that they have been many mentioned on this forum but I really don't have time to go through it searching for them. If anybody could send me the names of the films that have obvious examples I will try and get hold of them before Thursday.

Hi

See the attached file, hope this helps. Remember to tell them its all this years models that have the issue, not just the GT30.

Baz

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2011-08-22 at 17.17.54.png
    Screen Shot 2011-08-22 at 17.17.54.png
    211.2 KB · Views: 202

What I need is some test material to show them, I have the social network and inception on Blu-ray but could do with more examples, I know that they have been many mentioned on this forum but I really don’t have time to go through it searching for them. If anybody could send me the names of the films that have obvious examples I will try and get hold of them before Thursday.

What FW you on?

mine never had any brightness flucs on the films i checked on that file, i notice it everywhere other film though

Hi

I couldn't notice it on The Dark Knight, noticed it on The Social Network.

Baz

To the OP you need to be running Software Version 1213 and your problem will be solved :), however this only works on the GT not the VT's.:thumbsdow

Hi

I couldn't notice it on The Dark Knight, noticed it on The Social Network.

Baz

didn't have that film but tried about 4 or 5 scenes with no luck of seeing them.

i have noticed them on nearly every film but it's not something i would make note when trying to enjoy the film

Have just received an email from Panny customer services requesting a host of info, has anyone else received this???

Thank you for your e-mail enquiry regarding your television and your patience in this matter.

To enable us to help you further and look into your case please could you answer the following questions:

1, What Viewing Mode do you watch your TV in (Dynamic, Cinema, Normal, THX or Professional)……………………………………

2, Have you adjusted any of the Brightness, Colour or Contrast settings for the viewing mode that you are watching it in…………………………………….

If yes, what values have you set?

3, What DVD/Blu-Ray are you watching……………………………….

4, At what point and time on what you are watching do you see this happen………………………………

5, Is the ‘C.A.T.S’ option turned on………………………………….(check after changing the viewing mode as it may turn itself back on)

6, Are there any lights on in the room (if so, are they Dimmed or Fully on)…………………………………..

7, Where did you buy it from and on what date………………………………

8, Is the TV Wall Mounted………………………………..

Maybe I should just reply "All of the above!" :lesson:

What I need is some test material to show them, I have the social network and inception on Blu-ray but could do with more examples, I know that they have been many mentioned on this forum but I really don’t have time to go through it searching for them.

If you can hook up a PC, I believe an effective demonstration is to use a bright coloured rectange on a dark desktop and drag it between the monitor and the TV. If you can get it working then it will be consistant and repeatable and has the added bonus of being less distracting than busier test material.

You'd still want to compliment it with your other material, just to be able to show normal behavior, but at least you'd have something that even the blindest of techs should be able to spot.

I do recall seeing a video someone made that shows this behaviour, but can't seem to locate it now.

hmmmmmmmmmm its frustrating this fluctuating brightness problem, i would have no hesitancy in buying the 42st30 otherwise, i will wait in hope of them finding a solution before buying, and not just another software update that half fixes it, i want a 100% fix before buying................

Thanks for the info, I've been running 12.13 for about month after panasonic emailed it to me. They are aware that its not fixed but believe they have a solution but want to see it in the real world before they implement it. I'm aware and have informed Panasonic that it is a problem with all the 2011 plasmas and have pointed them to the US who have identified the problem and are fixing it with a service menu eprom update done by a Panasonic Engineer or with an updated A-Board through third parties. I see this problem on all picture modes the only difference is where it happens and the intensity of the fluctuation. Hopefully it will finally get sorted for the UK on Thursday!

Thanks for the info, I've been running 12.13 for about month after panasonic emailed it to me. They are aware that its not fixed but believe they have a solution but want to see it in the real world before they implement it. I'm aware and have informed Panasonic that it is a problem with all the 2011 plasmas and have pointed them to the US who have identified the problem and are fixing it with a service menu eprom update done by a Panasonic Engineer or with an updated A-Board through third parties. I see this problem on all picture modes the only difference is where it happens and the intensity of the fluctuation. Hopefully it will finally get sorted for the UK on Thursday!

What i find strange is why they are still allowing the product to be sold, if the products are faulty then why are they allowing customers to spend hundreds or over £1000 on these products. If i buy a brand new television i find it unacceptable that it has to be taken apart and a new board fitted, i don't want my brand new television being taken apart thank you very much, all unsold or returned products should be recalled until the problem is fixed...............

Excellent work, holding out some hope for a fix finally then. Would be nice.

Excellent work, holding out some hope for a fix finally then. Would be nice.

it will be nice as long as it doesn't require your brand new television being taken part, if panasonic think i am gonna pay £700-800 on a product knowing that it will have to be taken part by a technician the moment it arrives then frankly they can get to ****............

it will be nice as long as it doesn't require your brand new television being taken part, if panasonic think i am gonna pay £700-800 on a product knowing that it will have to be taken part by a technician the moment it arrives then frankly they can get to ****............

As I understand it August builds have been fixed but all earlier models display the problem to some degree.

I've already had mine taken apart when it was only a couple of months old because of marks behind the screen from incompetent manufacturing process. The A Board is actually pretty easy to replace, it just requires the back off (a lot of screws). Mines been stripped down far further and I've got the dust behind the screen to prove it :rolleyes: I can't see any problem with the A Board being replaced with regards to dust getting in as the front is sealed, mine needed the glass off hence dust :(

I've already had mine taken apart when it was only a couple of months old because of marks behind the screen from incompetent manufacturing process. The A Board is actually pretty easy to replace, it just requires the back off (a lot of screws). Mines been stripped down far further and I've got the dust behind the screen to prove it :rolleyes: I can't see any problem with the A Board being replaced with regards to dust getting in as the front is sealed, mine needed the glass off hence dust :(

ok thats fine, but the fact remains the idea of spending £700 on a television that will have to be repaired on arrival is frankly laughable, the bottom line is i am not spending £700 on a faulty television, either panasonic recalls all the products and fixes them at the factory or they are not getting my money. As for the august builds being fixed, thats not what i have heard on other forums, people checked to make sure which build they were getting and have still had fbr problems, besides who knows how a different board will effect other areas of the televisions performance, will the input lag be increased etc...........

Last edited:

Apologies my mistake it should be 1217 that fixes it on the GT so your running the old SW.

So it's been sorted for the GT owners.:)

Last edited:
ok thats fine, but the fact remains the idea of spending £700 on a television that will have to be repaired on arrival is frankly laughable, the bottom line is i am not spending £700 on a faulty television, either panasonic recalls all the products and fixes them at the factory or they are not getting my money. As for the august builds being fixed, thats not what i have heard on other forums, people checked to make sure which build they were getting and have still had fbr problems, besides who knows how a different board will effect other areas of the televisions performance, will the input lag be increased etc...........

Are you in the US? Those reported August builds which are fbr free are American and only ones of a certain serial number upwards too. None of the A Board or eeprom fixes have happened anywhere else in the world to date. If you're in the states there's a retailler selling only fixed sets. Hopefully we're edging closer to the fix here in the UK though judging by recent posts. :smashin:

Are you in the US? Those reported August builds which are fbr free are American and only ones of a certain serial number upwards too. None of the A Board or eeprom fixes have happened anywhere else in the world to date. If you're in the states there's a retailler selling only fixed sets. Hopefully we're edging closer to the fix here in the UK though judging by recent posts. :smashin:

Mate if you have the GT 1217 fixes it.:)

For what it's worth, I have a UK 50VT30. I intalled the latest FW about two weeks ago and ever since I haven't seen any FBR (and I used to notice ALOT.)

Have you tried 1217 yet?:)

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom