Home Entertainment & Technology Resource

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Outlook - retrieving emails from old hard drive?

Discussion in 'Windows' started by MNH, Jul 10, 2008.

1. MNH

MNH Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

My old laptop died but I managed to salvage the hard drive. Can anyone tell me exactly where I can find the outlook emails I had on my old machine? My problem is exacerbated by the fact that my new laptop is running Windows Vista and i can't even work out how to use the 'search' function when browsing the old hard drive!!!!

In case it is necessary my old machine was Windows XP and I have Office 97.

thanks
  2. tbeachly

tbeachly Member

Ratings:
    +43
    Try looking on your old drive in

C:\Documents and Settings\"your logon"\Local Settings\Application Data\Microsoft\Outlook\Outlook.pst
  3. MNH

MNH Member

Ratings:
    +0
    tbeachly, thanks for your reply. I don't have the 'local settings' folder once I get to my logon folders? And I can't find 'application data' in any of the folders I do have; or any microsoft or outlook folders for that matter?

Thanks again
  4. ows90

ows90 Member

Ratings:
    +70
  5. MNH

MNH Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Many thanks to both of you. I've now found the old outlook.pst file - can you tell me what program I use to open that file or how I extract the old data from it please?
  6. timearp

timearp Member

Ratings:
    +39
    .pst files are Outlook files, go into outlook, click File/Open/Outlook PST and navigate to it and it should open in the side panel.
  7. rio688

rio688 Member

Ratings:
    +4
    Also on your new machine you can copy the pst file to your new machine and then from the new installation of outlook go to files import then point to the PST file this will then import all of the old emails into your new PST on your new machine