1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

OS X 10.8.x Mountain Lion preview and Messages out now for beta

Discussion in 'Apple Mac' started by dc8900, Feb 16, 2012.

1. dc8900

dc8900 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,451
    • Thanks Thanks x 3
    Last edited: Feb 16, 2012
  2. NewfieDrool

NewfieDrool Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,017
    Looks interesting, thanks for the heads up.
  3. hybridtheory

hybridtheory Active Member

Ratings:
    +387
    Hi

Nice one, I'll download the beta and try it out tonite.

Baz
  4. davemackenzie

davemackenzie Member

Ratings:
    +85
    At this rate, It won't be long before OS11 will be out!!!
    I really don't understand how they deem those few updates as a new class of OS. Most of the messaging features can be done already with 3rd party apps (Free aswell)
    But then again, I'm neutral, MS for certain jobs, and Apple for certain jobs etc!
  5. gkpm

gkpm Member

Ratings:
    +358
    Downloading Messages now! Great news that it's now all integrated.

As for the OS it looks like they're really tying up those loose ends.
  6. awsm

awsm Member

Ratings:
    +106
    I saw this in my twitter stream earlier and thought it was joke. Watched the preview and looks pretty good imo and pretty much what we've been expecting a tighter integration with iOS.

Official Apple preview page: http://www.apple.com/macosx/mountain-lion/features.html#video-mountainlion

Makes a lot of sense as it keeps people sucked into the whole Apple economy and I imagine will encourage many people whose first Apple device is something running iOS to strongly consider a laptop/desktop as a future upgrade for the tighter integration.

Same thing can be seen happening with Windows Phone 7 and Windows 8 etc.
  7. gkpm

gkpm Member

Ratings:
    +358
    Mac display mirroring via Airplay sounds very interesting, just noticed that's going to be in too.
  8. dc8900

dc8900 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,451
  9. awsm

awsm Member

Ratings:
    +106
  10. E-com

E-com Member

Ratings:
    +152
    a few thoughts on messages, after using it for a couple of hours:

doesnt seem to sync up anything in iMessage from before installation. Anything sent from messages goes straight to the phone too, pretty swiftly, i havent checked if anything sent to the phone will send to messages without prior conversation though.

notifications: phone will buzz like crazy as it receives the notification of a message and that disappears as you read it on messages. this could get tedious.

seems good though
  11. RobM

RobM Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,180
    Everything about this seems fantastic, even moreso if you're an iOS user as some of the best and most useful features of iOS can now be shared and managed with your Mac computer! Reminders and Notes getting their own Apps is enough to please me, but iMessage is EXACTLY what I've been banging on about in the iPhone discussions for over a year! iChat, iMessage and Facetime in one App that works consistently across all platforms. Perfick.

It does give the impression that this is all a long time in the making and perhaps wasn't quite ready to launch with Lion.

I just hope we don't get the same stupid 'dumbing down' OSX comments that we had with Lion. This is additional functionality, it's not OSX becoming simple old iOS.
  12. dc8900

dc8900 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,451
    lol, to be fair, as a member of the 'dumbing down' brigade, my issue was mainly GUI changes (I still can't stand Lauchpad or mission control) as Lion did have considerable improvements 'under the hood', as I'm sure Mountain Lion will have. Stuff like Messages etc is of course welcome as, as you say, it's an additional feature.
  13. Jean Valjean

Jean Valjean Member

Ratings:
    +189
    I'm a little unhappy after paying £29 for Lion only 7 months ago it looks like Mountain Lion is a new OS not a update and will have a price for-coming !
    It better be cheap !
  14. dc8900

dc8900 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,451
    Apple tend to update the OS at around the 18-24 month mark, this is still a preview and they have indeed, only opened up the developer preview (link here: Apple unleashes OS X Mountain Lion Preview to Mac Developer Program -- Engadget), so it will be at least another year before this OS gets released for retail purchase.

EDIT: reading the verge article again, looks like they are now aiming for 12-14 month update cycles, so it would be July/August at the earliest.
    Last edited: Feb 16, 2012
  15. E-com

E-com Member

Ratings:
    +152
    hmm, confirmed with a test that messages only receives stuff sent to iMessage if a message has been sent from messages first.
  16. Jean Valjean

Jean Valjean Member

Ratings:
    +189
    I've read it's out in the summer !

OS X Mountain Lion is scheduled for a public launch in "late summer", with pricing yet to be announced. (taken from Mac Rumors)
  17. bprentice2010

bprentice2010 Member

Ratings:
    +120
    As you say it does have a few little bugs but remember it is Beta Software.
  18. blue max

blue max Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,264
    Just wonder where Apple are heading with this...

As a graphic pro, Adobe need to be onside with the OS's. They are not up to speed with Lion, so this is another nail in their coffin.

They are turning their backs on the graphic industry which was traditionally their bedrock and focussing on the domestic arena. I do feel that with their neglect of the semi-pro market (between the mini and the pro, but naked without a screen), we are losing our historical allies.

I have stuck with Apple through thick and thin, but I'm worried. Really worried.

Graham
  19. RobM

RobM Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,180
    Graham - I'm very interested to hear your thoughts (as somebody who uses the Pro side of Apple computers) on why Apple are turning their back on the Pro market.

They are doing very well in the consumer market for sure, but to my limited knowledge of the Pro graphics industry I wasn't aware that Apple had cut anything out of the OS that you'd rely on, to make it less 'Pro'. But as said, my knowledge is limited and it's an interesting subject :)
  20. blue max

blue max Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,264
    Well, I have been looking at this site:
    http://roaringapps.com/apps:table

And it fills me with horror.

All is well with snow leopard. I fear there will be many issues by upgrading and I can't afford to face issues.

Graham
  21. RobM

RobM Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,180
    I see... that's the fault of lazy App developers though, I don't think that can be blamed on Apple or OSX. All operating systems change and evolve over time, as we're seeing here with OSX, also with Windows 8 and the changes that brings and I dare say (but without that much knowledge) that Linux variants are the same and also change and evolve over time. It's not up to Apple to re-develop third-party software :)

If I owned a software house and made software for any OS that I wanted to keep current and on-market, I'd put compatibility with new OS versions near the top of my priority list. In fact, that's why Apple release developer previews like this so early!
  22. dejongj

dejongj Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +4,356
    I'm downloading it now :)
  23. bpsmith

bpsmith Member

Ratings:
    +708
    Do let us know how it is!

The comment about spending for £29.99 for Lion only 7 months ago and there's already something new just cracked me up. That's a steal for a new OS!
  24. blue max

blue max Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,264
    I'm not suggesting it is Apple's 'fault', just that the pace of change is increasing in general and it is more pandering to the domestic market at the expense of it's traditional core market.

I love change and the benefits it brings, but to sideline your core market after all these years is a bit of a kick in the teeth for loyal support.

Guess I'm a minority these days though.

Graham
  25. dejongj

dejongj Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +4,356
    Still downloading :( welcome to countryside Internet. I'm going to put it on a virtual machine though.
  26. Jean Valjean

Jean Valjean Member

Ratings:
    +189
    It is a cracking price but an upgraded OS only 7 months !!!!
  27. bprentice2010

bprentice2010 Member

Ratings:
    +120
    By the time it is released in late summer (august/september) it will be about 12-15 months.
    Last edited: Feb 17, 2012
  28. zebs

zebs Member

Ratings:
    +42
    Where did you pay £29 for LION?

Should be £20.99 in UK ($29.99 in states)
  29. awsm

awsm Member

Ratings:
    +106
    I find it hard to follow this train of thought as upgrading isn't a requirement it's optional. If Lion or SL is sufficient for how you use your Mac and you don't wan't or need the additional functionality for the nominal price then skip the Mountain Lion release.

It's not like Lion will become any less functional and will likely still receive a few critical patches.
  30. dc8900

dc8900 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,451
    Each version of OS X tends to get security updates until two OSs later e.g. Leopard got security updates until Lion was released and Snow Leopard will still receive updates until Mountain Lion is released.