Orange Big Sim to Micro Sim swap over

I have no idea, when I first called i got through to Orange Premier who put me through to the iPhone team, it was a bloke, might of been called Mike:confused:

When I called last night to activate it the geezers name was Gary, that I do know.

good luck:smashin:

Yeah...Orange Premier does that mean you spend lots of money? I wonder if that's why I can't get it because I'm just a standard customer.

Nope as I am a premier customer and I too am struggling to get a micro sim card from Orange. even though a customer advisor said he would send out a micro sim card if I could provide the IMEI number of my handset unfortunately my handset was in our offices mail room.

Called back numerous times to no avail. I dont want to spend an extra £10 a month as all I will gain is an extra 250mb of data and free wifi, neither of which I need.

So so frustarated.

Nope as I am a premier customer and I too am struggling to get a micro sim card from Orange. even though a customer advisor said he would send out a micro sim card if I could provide the IMEI number of my handset unfortunately my handset was in our offices mail room.

Called back numerous times to no avail. I dont want to spend an extra £10 a month as all I will gain is an extra 250mb of data and free wifi, neither of which I need.

So so frustarated.

Yes, it is very frustrating. I think I may head over to O2 on their simplicity tariff. With £100 cashback too on Quidco it makes it about £180 cheaper over 18mths.

Stingy Orange as usual but at least i cut my own sim card down to micro sim size with my micro sim cutter tool.

No one seems to be listening, but this is by far the best thing to do. I did and haven't looked back since.

I have an Orange contract through work, but cannot get the micro SIM because they have banned Orange from giving out the micro SIM to people in my company. I cut my existing SIM down to size but it is not working in my new iPhone. The SIM still works as I have put it back into my old phone. The chip looks bigger than other, and takes up all of the space in the new SIM tray. Has anyone else had this problem?:lease:

Hi,

I've been having the same problem getting a micro sim from orange. However, I've got my micro sim on its way to me now and at no extra cost on my bill.

You need to get annoyed at them, either ask to speak to a supervisor or get put through to disconnections (this is what I did). After the guy had a quick chat with the iphone team he said "I dont know why you were told you need the £10 bundle" I currently have the basic £5 bundle which he said will be fine, "you should have been offered both the £5 and £10 bundles". We then agreed whoever told me this needed a slap and then proceeded to order me a micro sim. Orange store staff were also surprised I encountered these problems.

Orange are literally trying to scam customers out of an extra £5 a month and people should not give in to them. What they tell you are complete lies and they should really be reported to trading standards/watchdog.

Or cut up your sim! It costs £3 for a replacement if you mess it up

which department can i moan at to get a micro sim. orange are refusing to give me one unless i pay an extra £10 a month.

absolutely pathetic.

which department can i moan at to get a micro sim. orange are refusing to give me one unless i pay an extra £10 a month.

absolutely pathetic.

I spoke to the disconnections department. Told them I was will to pay the £231 charge to end my contract if they couldn't sort this out. All you need is their standard £5 internet bolt on. A guy in my local orange store advised me to speak to a supervisor, but i figured disconnections would also have the power to get things done

Hi guys,

This may be a stupid question but what th:oops:e
i have been given a sim free i-phone 4, if i cut down the sim in my
Motorola v8 will the i-phone work ? i dont go on line or text and i only pay £10.00 a month for 300 minutes which is just right for my usage, but the other apps on the i-phone would be useful i am on Orange.

yea cut your sim down. i cut mine down. id highly advise getting a £5 internet add on... theres no point having an iphone without internet.

Can i ask anyone who got the £10/£5 bolt on,how long did it take for orange to give you your BT openzone username and password? Thanks:thumbsup:

I'm having the same problem. I'm on a non-iPhone Orange tarrif and they won't give me a micro SIM without buying the iPhone add-on, even after having a massive go at one of the managers in the iPhone department.

I've bought a SIM cutter and will try that first but if it doesn't work I might try disconnections.

GRRRRR...

I'm having the same problem. I'm on a non-iPhone Orange tarrif and they won't give me a micro SIM without buying the iPhone add-on, even after having a massive go at one of the managers in the iPhone department.

I've bought a SIM cutter and will try that first but if it doesn't work I might try disconnections.

GRRRRR...

Had the same problem. Bought a sim cutter from Amazon. Job done.:laugh::laugh::laugh:Orange....Not going to renew with them in January as a result of their terrible customer service re the micro sim scandal!:suicide:

Spoke to orange today for about 10 minutes but no luck. Oh well, im going to cut it down as well...

scumbags tryin to make u pay extra just cos your using an "iphone"

Scumabgs what-now? Erm welcome to capitalism :rolleyes:

Sorry for resurrecting an old thread, but thought I'd update with Oranges current policy on swapping out to micro-sims.

Basically, after having an Orange shop CS guy call their CS team and being surprised himself that you have to pay the extra £10/month for the iPhone 'unlimited data' bundle (that's a joke as it's only 750Mb :laugh:), trying to ring them myself to get the same answer, I finally managed to email them today (although I discovered their email form doesn't work as it has no send button, but managed to get an email address from their Complaints PDF document) to complain and got a phone call from a guy in the UK CS team within 5 minutes!

I was upfront about using my regular big sim cut down and told him that I'd been advised by Apple when getting my faulty handset replaced that not having an 'official' micro-sim might cause problems (as it's cut close to the outside long edge of the metal bit on mine too) but as I'm already paying £5/month for a 500Mb data allowance that I haven't gone near to using up, that I'm not prepared to pay an extra fiver on top for 250Mb extra I won't use. He tried to sell me the BT Open Zone bit too and was telling me how the iPhone is constantly connected and so uses more data, but I politely told him I don't need BT bit and I know about the constant connection and still don't require the extra 250Mb of data either! He was actually very understanding and looked at trying to reduce my monthly tariff cost to incorporate the extra £5 data cost, but as I'm on an old tariff it couldn't be bettered.

Still, he was happy to let me stay on the tariff/data bundle I have now and to carry on using my cut-down sim. It's not ideal in the event I have to go back to Apple again, but at least I don't have to pay the extra.

Just thought I'd post so that others know if they call Orange that they probably won't budge on sending out micro-sims without you agreeing to pay the higher data bundle cost (although unless you're a heavy user, I can't see that many people needing it to be honest!).

Andy

Sorry for resurrecting an old thread, but thought I'd update with Oranges current policy on swapping out to micro-sims.

Basically, after having an Orange shop CS guy call their CS team and being surprised himself that you have to pay the extra £10/month for the iPhone 'unlimited data' bundle (that's a joke as it's only 750Mb :laugh:), trying to ring them myself to get the same answer, I finally managed to email them today (although I discovered their email form doesn't work as it has no send button, but managed to get an email address from their Complaints PDF document) to complain and got a phone call from a guy in the UK CS team within 5 minutes!

I was upfront about using my regular big sim cut down and told him that I'd been advised by Apple when getting my faulty handset replaced that not having an 'official' micro-sim might cause problems (as it's cut close to the outside long edge of the metal bit on mine too) but as I'm already paying £5/month for a 500Mb data allowance that I haven't gone near to using up, that I'm not prepared to pay an extra fiver on top for 250Mb extra I won't use. He tried to sell me the BT Open Zone bit too and was telling me how the iPhone is constantly connected and so uses more data, but I politely told him I don't need BT bit and I know about the constant connection and still don't require the extra 250Mb of data either! He was actually very understanding and looked at trying to reduce my monthly tariff cost to incorporate the extra £5 data cost, but as I'm on an old tariff it couldn't be bettered.

Still, he was happy to let me stay on the tariff/data bundle I have now and to carry on using my cut-down sim. It's not ideal in the event I have to go back to Apple again, but at least I don't have to pay the extra.

Just thought I'd post so that others know if they call Orange that they probably won't budge on sending out micro-sims without you agreeing to pay the higher data bundle cost (although unless you're a heavy user, I can't see that many people needing it to be honest!).

Andy
Are you tied into a contract with Orange? If not, threaten to leave. When I was with them I was on the iPhone sim only plan so they sent me a microsim without question. Having had problems with their service, I requested my PAC code and also explained that I could get a much better deal elsewhere than the £25 a month iPhone plan. They offered me a £15 deal with 500 meg data. This was not an iPhone plan and did not include the £10 iPhone add on but they were happy for me to have this knowing I was using an iPhone rather than have me leave. So if you threaten to leave unless they give you a microsim it may work.

I left anyway and am much happier on Three. Another option to you of course if you aren't tried into a contract is just to go to another provider that gives you coverage

Unfortunately I signed up to a new 18 month contract with them in January. My tariff isn't the greatest but it's not too bad either (but I still begrudge paying the extra for the iPhone data bundle when I don't need it!). Though my next end date is next June, so then I may be tempted to actually leave or see whether they can offer me a good deal on the iPhone 6 :)

Last edited:
— As an Amazon Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases —
-Hitman- said:
I have an Orange sim on company business, no chance to get a micro sim so bought a sim to mico-sim cutter from amazon and it worked a treat!

FoneM8 - Sim Card Cutter For iPhone 4, iPad, includes 2: Amazon.co.uk: Electronics

That's what my big sim was cut down with too. Looking at it now, it looks like the thin strip of board along the longer edge closest to the metal connectors has just been trimmed slightly so there's barely any left. No major biggie I suppose providing the edge of the sim tray's not touching the metal!

I'd order one of those cutters and get a replacement sim from Orange to cut down if it'd make it easier, but I'd potentially still have Apple blaming the sim as being the root of problems if I do get any more.

Still *touch wood* my signal problems seem to not be there now so I'm more convinced than ever that I just had bad luck with my first two iP4 handset's. This third one works a charm (I hope!)

Just ordered my iphone 4 sim from Orange and had to pay for a 1GB data bolt on as well, which she said I could cancel as soon as the iphone is connected. That way I know that I have the correct sim for the phone and I get a month of Openzone and tons of data before I cancel and go back to my 500MB allowance, whereby the novelty will probably have worn off anyway :)

She did offer me a new iphone contract which I promptly dismissed.

It is still cheaper than CPW where you have to pay £15 for the Sim :smashin:

Just ordered my iphone 4 sim from Orange and had to pay for a 1GB data bolt on as well, which she said I could cancel as soon as the iphone is connected. That way I know that I have the correct sim for the phone and I get a month of Openzone and tons of data before I cancel and go back to my 500MB allowance, whereby the novelty will probably have worn off anyway :)

She did offer me a new iphone contract which I promptly dismissed.

It is still cheaper than CPW where you have to pay £15 for the Sim :smashin:

That's an option I hadn't thought of, but I would say beware. They'll know you're using an iPhone 4 from your IMEI so might strongly try to stop you cancelling the 1Gb bolt-on. I was pretty frank with the guy I spoke to before (see my post above) and he didn't suggest this course of action at all.

To be honest, since then I haven't had issues with the SIM not being recognised (touch wood :smashin:) and am glad I didn't go for the extra data bundle anyway as frankly I'm bored of iOS and rapidly turning anti-Apple again (not at all for the location 'controversy', but for a range of other reasons).

Still, good plan and hope it works out for you mate :thumbsup:

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom