Home Entertainment & Technology Resource

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Orange Big Sim to Micro Sim swap over

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Bergey, Jun 17, 2010.

1. Bergey

Bergey Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Just got off the phone with Orange to see if they could send me a Micro Sim to use when I purchase the iPhone 4 and the short answer was yes.

HOWEVER she did say that for customers such as myself who are currently on a monthly contract with them using a normal sim card who want to get their account details moved over to a micro sim will have to change their tarriffs slightly. She said that the terms and conditions they have been given state that customers must move to an iPhone4 tarriff which is an extra £10 per month but does come with unlimited internet (thats actually 750mb as we all know) and free BT Openzone WiFi, in order to get your existing number account details moved to the new Micro sim.

I was on a 1200 min £35 contract which with the new iPhone4 tarriff will take it up to £45, but have decided to offset some of the cost by lowering my tarriff to a £30 900 min per month, therefore totaling a £40 which the iPhone add-on.

It is a bit annoying that they aren't simply doing what O2 are by offering an online service that you just enter the new sims SSN code into and it copies the details over for you for free, but I didnt fancy cutting the card, screwing it up and not having any use of a phone till a replacement normal sim arrives, as Orange say they wont replace lost big size sims with Micro sims.
  2. LorikCana19

LorikCana19 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I presume you weren't previously on an iPhone tariff? I'm in the same situation but was told quite simply that they due to demand they won't be able to send me a micro sim.
  3. bprentice2010

bprentice2010 Member

Ratings:
    +121
    I was told that I will be able to get one but not until 24th and it will just be a straight swap.
  4. LorikCana19

LorikCana19 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Will you have to phone up, or just go into an orange store? I'm getting desperate at the minute and I'm not confident in cutting at all haha
  5. robba_duck

robba_duck Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi guys just to let you know.

You can use a normal sim card all you have to do is carefully trim the old card to the new size.

hold your sim under the new carrier line up so all the sim pins are showing through the window and see what you need to cut off!

be carefull around the sim pins as the actual chip is directly under the pins! but the rest is just plastic.

Enjoy :)
  6. Spiderkid

Spiderkid Member

Ratings:
    +117
    I'll be in the same boat soon, needing a micro SIM on Orange but wanting to keep my existing iPhone contract (£35 per month including unlimited internet and free BT Openzone). Sounds like Orange are playing hard ball, so I might have to go down the cut-it-and-see route. However, I figure that if I get it badly wrong all I have to do is request a replacement (normal) SIM from Orange, which I'm pretty sure they'll replace for free or a small charge. Although that might change if lots of people start ringing up to get a replacement after having 'lost' their SIMs!
  7. rd6821

rd6821 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I'm going to speak to Orange to see if they've changed their stance re: sending out micro sims.
  8. thedude2011

thedude2011 Member

Ratings:
    +9
    just cut it thats what i did with my o2 one.
  9. rd6821

rd6821 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Called Orange and the lady said they wouldn't send out a micro sim for use in a sim free handset. Looks like I may cut up my existing sim after all!
  10. SkiWil

SkiWil Member

Ratings:
    +13
    I have got (appearntly) a mirco sim coming, had a text to confirm from orange on saturday.
    I got my iPhone sim free from apple on launch day and couldnt wait, i downloaded a template and cut my existing sim to size, works a treat plus i should still have the micro sim coming.
    ill chase orange up for it tomorrow if its not here.
  11. rd6821

rd6821 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    What contract are you on with Orange on the sim that you've cut down? Is it an Iphone one? I've got a non-iPhone contract but with unlimited data. Since it doesn't seem like they'll give me a micro sim to transfer it over, I think I may just cut it down..
  12. rd6821

rd6821 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    OK called again and this time managed to speak to someone in the iPhone team. She said they were only offering micro sims to those already on iPhone tariffs or if you added the £10 bolt on to those on a non iPhone contract. SkiWil how did you manage to get a micro sim on a non-iPhone contract without paying the extra £10?
    Last edited: Jun 30, 2010
  13. jasmart

jasmart Member

Ratings:
    +8
    Hi Guys, I ended up having a blazing row with a mumpty on Orange Business regarding the swapping of a SIM to Micro-Sim. End result new micro-sim received with no additional payment required.

I've been using their standard 3G SIM in my iPhone 3G for the last 6 months with a 500MB data package (not iPhone specific). Ordered my iPhone 4 direct from the Apple Store to get it SIM free. Called Orange and requested a Micro-sim to replace my existing one. They said fine, but due to it being different technology they would need to put me on a more expensive iPhone specific data bundle. :rolleyes:
    I explained this wouldn't be necessary as I do not use anywhere near this data allowance and all the new sim is is smaller - nothing different in the way it works. He tried to explain the data wouldnt work and I'd have trouble activating if I didnt take the higher cost package. So, ten minutes and a lot of arguing later they put me on the more expensive data bundle, agreed to send the new Micro-Sim, but would add a £30 credit to my account offsetting the extra £3 a month data charge for the remaining 10 months of my contract.

Worth digging your heels in guys
  14. SkiWil

SkiWil Member

Ratings:
    +13
    I called them 10 mins after picking up my iphone. Had to give them IMEI of the phone to "prove" i owned one. He then said all done it will be sent out within the next 4 days.

Then got a text from Orange well 2 of them infact, one to tell me that the mircro sim is being sent out, and one to give me the username and password for the BT open zone free wifi stuff! (couldnt beleive that one) have checked my account and nothing has changed on the billing side which is ace:smashin:

Im not on any iPhone contract. im on Dolphin 45 which throws in 500mb of data free each month (hence my argument with them before about paying £10 for iphone data bolt on and only getting 250mb).

And the second post has just come appearntly and the Mrs informs me I have a packet from Orange! so the micro sim should be there!!
  15. rd6821

rd6821 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Alright for some! Looks like I'm just gonna have to call up another 50 times until I get lucky!
  16. SkiWil

SkiWil Member

Ratings:
    +13
    Just keep trying until you get a yes! They will do it, you just have to stand your ground and fight
    Have you physicaly got the iPhone yet?
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  17. rd6821

rd6821 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    No, because I don't want to get it and then have them say no. I said earlier I had one and they didn't ask for the IMEI or anything, just said the usual...
  18. sagom

sagom Member

Ratings:
    +2
    I ordered my Micro-Sim today after I got on the pre-order list for the Apple Store on Regent Street. I just wanted to have it available as soon as I get the phone.

The guy in the Orange Iphone department was really helpful, he said I'd have to upgrade to the £10 'unlimited' data bundle (I currently pay 5 quid for 500MB) and that my contract would be changed once the Micro-Sim got sent out. After telling him that I don't know when I'll receive the Iphone and don't really wanna pay the extra until I actually use the Micro-Sim, he changed my tariff in the system from my next billing date (in 3 weeks time) and if I get it earlier than that (here's hoping) I can just get it changed as soon as I activate the Micro Sim.

Now I have a question though. Got an email from Apple confirming that I am on the pre-order list and that I will be contacted once a phone is available. In that email was a link, telling me what I needed to bring but I don't really fall into any of the categories. I am not really upgrading through Orange Pay Monthly as I am just staying on my old contract that doesn't run out until December, but I am not pay as you go either. How are they going to activate my phone when I buy it?

Does the Micro-Sim come with an adaptor, so that I could possibly get them to transfer my contract to the Micro-sim once I get it, or once I get my confirmation email to pick up my Iphone, so that I have a working Micro-Sim by the time I go and pick up my phone that I can use in my Sony Ericsson until then?

Sorry, it's my first Iphone, so don't know what the whole activation process entails. Usually I just got a phone, put the SIM in and it was working. :laugh:
  19. rd6821

rd6821 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    So you agreed to pay the extra for the bundle? My issue is that if I pay that and stay on my current tariff whilst buying an iphone handset from Apple, then I save about £23 over the course of the contract in comparison to getting a new £35/mth contract from Orange and paying £319 for the 32GB handset. If I can't get them to send me a micro sim without paying £10/mth then I'm getting increasingly tempted to leave Orange because they're more expensive than most providers for this new iPhone 4.
  20. sagom

sagom Member

Ratings:
    +2
    Yeah, but I am already paying a fiver for the 500MB so it's only a fiver more and in 5 months I'll be out of contract and can go to Tesco on their 20 quid rolling pay as you go tariff. Or see what else is out there at O2 and T-Mobile if Orange don't offer me anything feasible.

Especially with all the 3G networks getting overloaded, I quite like to keep the flexibility to go elsewhere if the coverage/network sucks. At the moment I quite often have problems making a call or going online during the day on Orange at my work in Central London. And if that doesn't get better, then I at least know I can try the other providers and see if their network copes better. What's the point in being tied into a 2 year contract with Orange for a data hungry phone, when I might not be able to connect to the internet half the time. It doesn't work out all that much cheaper over the time, but it gives me a lot of flexibility. :thumbsup:
  21. louisg

louisg Member

Ratings:
    +32
    No one seems to be listening, but this is by far the best thing to do. I did and haven't looked back since.
  22. rd6821

rd6821 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Yeah since I'm out of contract I'm seriously thinking about going over to Tesco on their £20/mth 12mth contract. Even if Orange let me stay on my current contract, it'll still be cheaper to go to Tesco.
  23. SkiWil

SkiWil Member

Ratings:
    +13
    Well my Micro Sim arrived yesterday, called orange last night and transfered my sim across. All done and updated and working in 2 hours.

No hitch's at all.
  24. rd6821

rd6821 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    You lucky bugger...I just want to do this!!! If I can stay on my contract then It'll match O2 simplicity and I'm happy to pay a bit extra to stay with Orange rather than get the Tesco deal! I've got the contact details of someone in the iPhone team who seemed quite nice when I spoke to her so hopefully I can talk her into sending me a micro sim! Do you remember who you spoke to?
    Last edited: Jul 1, 2010
  25. SkiWil

SkiWil Member

Ratings:
    +13
    I have no idea, when I first called i got through to Orange Premier who put me through to the iPhone team, it was a bloke, might of been called Mike:confused:

When I called last night to activate it the geezers name was Gary, that I do know.

good luck:smashin:
  26. rd6821

rd6821 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Yeah...Orange Premier does that mean you spend lots of money? I wonder if that's why I can't get it because I'm just a standard customer.
  27. harrysp

harrysp Member

Ratings:
    +1
    Nope as I am a premier customer and I too am struggling to get a micro sim card from Orange. even though a customer advisor said he would send out a micro sim card if I could provide the IMEI number of my handset unfortunately my handset was in our offices mail room.

Called back numerous times to no avail. I dont want to spend an extra £10 a month as all I will gain is an extra 250mb of data and free wifi, neither of which I need.

So so frustarated.
  28. rd6821

rd6821 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Yes, it is very frustrating. I think I may head over to O2 on their simplicity tariff. With £100 cashback too on Quidco it makes it about £180 cheaper over 18mths.
  29. ewaht

ewaht Member

Ratings:
    +3
    Stingy Orange as usual but at least i cut my own sim card down to micro sim size with my micro sim cutter tool.
  30. BobbyPuzo

BobbyPuzo Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I have an Orange contract through work, but cannot get the micro SIM because they have banned Orange from giving out the micro SIM to people in my company. I cut my existing SIM down to size but it is not working in my new iPhone. The SIM still works as I have put it back into my old phone. The chip looks bigger than other, and takes up all of the space in the new SIM tray. Has anyone else had this problem?:lease: