Home Entertainment & Technology Resource

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Optoma HD700X

Discussion in 'Projectors' started by nwgarratt, Mar 12, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. nwgarratt

nwgarratt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,261
  2. nicktrex

nicktrex Member

Ratings:
    +8
    I'm seriously looking into this projector. Amazon do it for the same price with free delivery. Any owners of this projector like to say about it?? Rainbow effect, HD quality, picture quality etc...?
  3. nwgarratt

Ratings:
    +2,261
    I think most Optoma 720p PJ's are near identical with just contrast and brightness ratios being different. This one seems good at 3000 Contrast and 1300 Brightness. Although, I believe the HD65 has 4000 contrast but it is a bit more money.

I would get it from Amazon. Apart from the free delivery. If it goes down in price in the first 30 days. They will refund the difference if you ask them.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Optoma-HD700X-Definition-Cinema-Projector/dp/B00120SBOY/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1205341159&sr=8-1
  4. nicktrex

nicktrex Member

Ratings:
    +8
    Went in for the plunge. :clap: Outstanding, really incredibly for the price, on par with a HD65 and i don't see any reason to calibrate yet. Plugged into the PS3, whacked it on the ceiling (needs to go back about an inch or two mind) and voila, superb, crisp image, good black levels, very nice colour, lots of settings, not very loud at all, i now have it on high altitude setting as i think it will prolong the bulb life, and most importantly NO RAINBOWS that i can see unless i force myself to see them, (but who forces themself to see or do something they don't like??). On the whole a superb value projector, but would like to see some £800+ 720p projectors to see why they cost more.
    :D:D:D
  5. ButtonUPS

ButtonUPS Member

Ratings:
    +2
    pics pics pics!

Please obviously :)

Keep us updated with your experience
  6. Toonaroond

Toonaroond Member

Ratings:
    +34
    I'm not sure about this so get it checked out, but I always though high altitude setting just made the fan run more energetically and so louder....economy setting is the one that makes the bulb last longer as it is less bright...

Willing and ready to be shot down if I'm wrong!
  7. nwgarratt

Ratings:
    +2,261
  8. nicktrex

nicktrex Member

Ratings:
    +8
  9. rhcppepers

rhcppepers Member

Ratings:
    +5
    I got tired of waiting for the hd65 so i baught the hd700x for £430 instead. The image quality is very good and i think it is going to get better when i get a proper screen :thumbsup:. The hd700x puts my 32inch telly to shame which cost more. For £389 this projector is a steal.
  10. Smeg0rz

Smeg0rz Member

Ratings:
    +2
    Glad to hear positive reviews about this, I ordered it today from dixons with the code :) £10 off, total was about £394 with the cheap shipping.

This is my first projector, any idea what screen size I will get from having a 9ft throw distance on this thing? :lesson:
  11. Digicon

Digicon Active Member

Ratings:
    +304
    According to the optoma calculator you should get around 83" diagonal which is pretty big for the short throw distance:)
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  12. Smeg0rz

Smeg0rz Member

Ratings:
    +2
    Hmm, not too sure about this, I've not found the details about the throw distance on the website? Can anyone confirm this? I will have a throw distance of 9ft
  13. stubie_do

stubie_do Member

Ratings:
    +34
    Your throw distance will be minimum 9.04 Feet maximum 10.25 Feet. Ideally you need to be between these two measurements so that you can under/over shoot the image on the screen.

If you are going to install it, don’t install it bang on 9.04ft, allow +/- 5% for tolerance on the optics.
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  14. Smeg0rz

Smeg0rz Member

Ratings:
    +2
    The space from projecter to screen would be 9ft, i wouldnt be able to get the projector back more than that
  15. stubie_do

stubie_do Member

Ratings:
    +34
  16. Smeg0rz

Smeg0rz Member

Ratings:
    +2
    thanks for the link, only issue i'm having is my projector isnt listed :|
  17. stubie_do

stubie_do Member

Ratings:
    +34
    Use the HD65 for reference, it has the same optics

Hope this helps
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  18. Smeg0rz

Smeg0rz Member

Ratings:
    +2
    thanks man, this helps a lot!
  19. Smeg0rz

Smeg0rz Member

Ratings:
    +2
    Still not got dispatch email :| It's wednesday argh, emailed them asking the order status and nothing.

- Sweet, just for a delivery confirmation email :) 5 working days, so looks like it's going to be a week today! Can't wait!!!
  20. ShortySco

ShortySco Member

Ratings:
    +1
    I am also awaiting delivery for one of these from dixons.

My first taste of home cinema, can't wait! :D

Rob
  21. Smeg0rz

Smeg0rz Member

Ratings:
    +2
    Should get mine delivered today, but depends if anyone is home, as I'm at work :(

Any news on yours ? Mine got send DHL next day yesterday, not sure if it was because I complained as i ordered on saturday. :smashin:
  22. ShortySco

ShortySco Member

Ratings:
    +1
    Smeg0rz,

Yes had some news from the DHL website. My unit left hatfield terminal last night at 20.30 and arrived at the aberdeen (Where i am) depot at 12.40 today, so i guess i'll recieve it tomorrow (Today if i'm lucky) and then the fun will really begin, i guess our projectors may have travelled together.... lol!

Today just re-arranging the room....etc... bah!

FYI, i ordered mine on sunday and recieved dispatch confirmation a couple of hours after i posted yesterday (From what i've read dixons are not big on customer serveice, doubt they acted on your call)

Now, just to work out what to do with all the cables.

Shorty

Once i recieve my goodies i'll post a satisfaction report
  23. Smeg0rz

Smeg0rz Member

Ratings:
    +2
    Ok - It's here, first impressions time - Also this might be a good read for anyone wondering about projectors in a small room.

Ok I received the package and was amazed to find a projector since it was so light. I expected a much bigger unit, and was very happy to have picked this light portable unit out of the box. It comes with a bundle of cables SVideo,Component scart adaptor.

Originally I planned to set it up using the longest part of the room, which would give me 9ft throw distence from lense to screen. But since I dont have my screen yet (Which will cover the window) and i really wanted to have a good first impression I just did it from width of my room, which I'd say give me about 7-8ft throw distance... I turned it on knowing I'd get a smaller screen than the intended 77" from 9ft.

Remembering this is my first projector experience, i connected it to HDMI with PS3 and turned it on... After warming up, the screen popped on the wall, and I was amazed by just how great the size was. I only have a blind covering the windows, and so a lot of ambient light was coming through... I did not expect the image to be as good as it was... I then made a makeshift curtain, and WOW was i amazed by the quality even though i have a glossy white ceiling and white units and lamenet flooring!!

The first thing I did was to put on planet eart blu-ray (as you do) and it come up as 1080p/24. Even though it is actually 720p the quality was imence, and I'll never go back to small TV. I half expected to be sending it back if it was to over the top for a small room, or just looked plain silly.. I'm happy to be sitting here, telling you it was the best purchase i've made in a very long time (following the ps3).

I will be posting some screenshots when I start sorting it out, and positioning it length wise to get the 9ft throw distance. But i do need the screen.

Oh- Another thing, my wall paper is a light matt cream, with a slight beveled pattern to it... It still looked awsome.

Rainbow Effect : I've found that I can see this effect if i move my eyes from one point to another point only on bright whites... but that was trying hard to see them, so i'm again very happy about this.

After having a go on some games (COD4 looks insainly good, and if you have got Rachet and Clank on the PS3 make SURE you put that on!!!)

I just had to show it to someone, and so I phoned my brother who come around, he's since went and tried to order it from Dixon's but it's SOLD OUT!

Amazing, anyone have any questions I'll try my best to answer them, as i know not many people have this model yet.

Shorty, can't wait to read your impressions.. I got to bed at 3am lol - can't wait to finish work!

EDIT : This is the screen I'm looking at.
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/77-16-Motor...1?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1207918284&sr=8-1
  24. ShortySco

ShortySco Member

Ratings:
    +1
    Hey,

Well, i recieved my PJ at about 3.30 today, an hour ago, my impressions are much the same as yours.

I have no curtains as i'm about to decorate and have not made makeshift ones yet, but had a quick blast anyway, i couldn't help myself. :thumbsup:

I'm in a long narrowish room (6mx3m) and from just over two thirds away i can fill the end wall, a large window on the opposite wall lets in heaps of light (it's quite cloudy today) but i was still happy enough with the picture even on STD lamp mode, so once i sort the room out, it's gonna be great!

All this even though i have laminate flooring, white silk ceiling and creamy patterened wallpaper (I'm about to embark on a DIY screen).

Much better than i was expecting from my first el-cheapo projector, very happy.

My source is Sky HD through HDMI, SD looks more than good enough, HD chanels are very nice indeed.

I don't see any rainbow effect, although i've not really tried yet, i think i'll be fine.

One last thing, noise.... when i first turned it on the room was silent as i had no sound source setup, and no curtains so get that echo-ey effect, and i was horrified at the sound.

Then i turned on the TV at the back of the room (Connected to Sky box too) and the sound dissapeared almost entirely... good enough for me, but if you want something truly silent as can be, maybe give this one a miss IMHO.

More to come :smashin:

Shorty
  25. ShortySco

ShortySco Member

Ratings:
    +1
    Well a couple of days use and i have a couple of observations.

If mine was made equal to other 700x's, then the noise becomes close to unacceptable if you use the bright mode or the AI mode... but TBH i didn't see much improvment while using these and am delighted with the picture/brightness/blacks as-is.

Blacks look really nice to me, except when the whole screen is black, but i think this is the result of my projecting conditions, that is ambient light, cream walls and lack of border.

So once i've got some paint slapped on and a screedn rustled together i'll let you know how i get on.

Shorty

P.S i also tried my xbox (Xbox 1) with XBMC through component cables, and it looks really great in 720p mode for playing divx...etc, project gotham is great fun also on a big screen :smashin:

Edit: Have also been able to see the rainbow effect on occasion, normally when forcing myself to see it, really not a problem though!
  26. Smeg0rz

Smeg0rz Member

Ratings:
    +2
    Interesting to see your observations, I did indeed forget to mention the sound - I don't find this an issue at all, but turning on bright mode increases the fan speed (and I dont think the extra brightness is worth the shorter life of the bulb about the sound of the fans)

Running in STD the fan noise never bothers me, I'm running 5.1 speakers sometimes quietly and loud and seem to cover the sound up fine and I'm sat right infront of it! Infact the first time i heard a fan noise I noticed it was my laptop.

Another thing I'd like to point out, although I'm sure it might be obvious to some people, is that these kick out a lot of heat, and having a small room is fine as long as you can ventilate it well.

I watched a blu-ray on it through PS3 and was amazed. I've also been playing Rainbow Six vegas 2 on the PS3 and once again, amazed.

- Oh and shorty make sure you keep us updated with your venture into making a custom screen. I'll be sure to start a thread about my setup as soon as I get my screen.
  27. rhcppepers

rhcppepers Member

Ratings:
    +5
    I must also add that i do not find my hd700x noisy at all. This projector is bright even in STD mode. I am glad that its not too bright because some people see rainbows more if the projector is very bright. Getting a PS3 this week so that i can see the projector come to life. Dvds look good at 576p surprisingly so. I am not sure if it is necessary to calibrate because the picture looks good already:D. Optoma deserve high praise indeed.
  28. Smeg0rz

Smeg0rz Member

Ratings:
    +2
    Yes - Ps3 is a very good purchase, as for the price you get some awesome top of the range kit, BD-Live drive, good DVD upscaler, and awesome FREE online gaming! Plus the store is getting updated this week!
  29. p101chap

p101chap Member

Ratings:
    +0
    any pics?

Tempt me!
  30. nicktrex

nicktrex Member

Ratings:
    +8
    Only some rubbish ones with my 1mp camera phone. Can anyone else post up some better ones?

Attached Files:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.