Optoma hd600x White dot

brankster74

Established Member
Reaction score
A white dot has appeared from my projector and from what i read its a component thats faulty. I have had the projector for 2 years and not sure what standard warranty is. Does anyone know what Optoma are like to deal with and a price for repair?

I will try the sales of goods act on them as well as that worked with a 3 year old Samsung tv.

Try a reset and see if it's still there

If it is it's a mirror on the dlp chip

Hi everyone,

My Optoma HD600X has been doing the same thing.

White dots have appeared on the picture (before you ask me, yes, I think they're approximately the size of a pixel).

A few facts:
  • I have reset the unit: no changes
  • When I change the Vertical Keystone setting, the dots stay in the exact same place, which make me think it's more something to do with the optics; what do you think?
  • There are about 6 of them now
  • One of them seem to 'flicker', which makes me think it is not dust related.

Here's a photo of what it looks like:
4ig22c.jpg

I called the Optoma repair team in the UK which thinks it could be a 'DMD chip' and if it is the case, it'd cost £200 to fix (+£55 assessment).

I need your expert advice!:lesson:
  • Is there anything I can try to do to fix it myself?
  • What do you think of Optoma's price to fix it?
  • Do you know of any other good repair centre I could get a quote from?

I'm well gutted as the projector is just 2 years old...
It is already the second unit I have as the first one was DOA; I'l really disappointed by them. What a bad investment... :thumbsdow

I ended up just buying a HD67 as it would have cost me about £250 to get it repaired. Optoma was the cheapest for a repair. I called a few places and they were over £300. You should sell yours as parts and get a newer one. You could get the HD67 for around £400.

Once i started to get a few dots it just got worse and i ended up with 2 or 3 more every time i turned it on. Over 30 in the end.

It sounds like a good idea! How much did you sell it for parts?

Not sure I'll ever go with Optoma again, though!

It sounds like a good idea! How much did you sell it for parts?

Not sure I'll ever go with Optoma again, though!

I seen one being sold on eBay for parts for £100. I will get mine on there when I can be bothered lol. The hd67 has a 2 year warranty which gave me more confidence. I have the 3dxl so opted for optoma so it would all work as it did. The hd67 is very similar but better during the day when it's light outside.

I've just realised something...

A few days before it started developing the fault, I had a party and one of my friends just confessed some liquid got on the projector.
Apparently it wasn't much and they removed it straight away... (no more parties at my place! :))

Do you think liquid spillage could have caused this?
If it is the case, I might be able to do an insurance claim for it.

I didn't really want to revive such an old thread here but the above issue seems relevant to mine.

I noticed a white dot appear on my projector, it's been there for about a week, and today a second white dot has also appeared. As time passed I am anticipating it will get more and ultimately look similar to the above posted photo.

Can this be rectified by replacing the projector lamp for a new one, or is the whole projector buggered with this issue?

The projector is an Optima HD67n and I have had it since 2012. It's not actually had a lot of use until recently, previously was used for 3D Blu-rays and the odd gaming session. It's only the past 6mths or so that it's been used more frequently.

Lamp Hours are at 1775.

Any input is appreciated.

No the lamp unfortunately will not make any difference as it is the DMD chip that has now got two stuck mirrors and will develop more over the next few hours of use.

The white dots will get worse. Within a few days the screen will show hundreds. The HD67n and the hd600x use the same dmd chip. All they years ago when i was looking for one i had to buy two from China as they would not sell me just one. Think i paid about £170 for both. I put the chip in and that projector has been perfect for years and still works perfect with lots of hours on it. I put the other chip into the hd600x and it works perfect but i have not used it since the 67 was working perfectly. I dont use either projector now. If you cant get a chip let me know and im sure we can sort something out. Taking the chip out to replace is not that hard. Just remember where all the screws need to go. I used a video on youtube as a referance and from memory it was a different optoma projector but similar enough to allow a hassle free chip swap.

No the lamp unfortunately will not make any difference as it is the DMD chip that has now got two stuck mirrors and will develop more over the next few hours of use.
Well, damn. It's only got so much use recently as it's being used more while waiting for 2019 TV's to release.

It's a shame that it's on the way out as it was especially handy for some 3D viewing, losing the projector would be far less annoying if 3D was still an option on modern TV's.

Last I looked at replacement lamps they were around £100, that would no doubt be something due eventually. But of above posts are still accurate, I presume a repair by Optoma would be around £200 too.

I guess I mays well just write it off. Perhaps I can claw back some cash on the working Optoma 3D-XL and glasses.

The white dots will get worse. Within a few days the screen will show hundreds. The HD67n and the hd600x use the same dmd chip. All they years ago when i was looking for one i had to buy two from China as they would not sell me just one. Think i paid about £170 for both. I put the chip in and that projector has been perfect for years and still works perfect with lots of hours on it. I put the other chip into the hd600x and it works perfect but i have not used it since the 67 was working perfectly. I dont use either projector now. If you cant get a chip let me know and im sure we can sort something out. Taking the chip out to replace is not that hard. Just remember where all the screws need to go. I used a video on youtube as a referance and from memory it was a different optoma projector but similar enough to allow a hassle free chip swap.
Cheers for the info. I'll think about it. If you have any links to hand for where I can buy a DMD chip and YouTube video to check out, I'll take a look.

If it's too expensive though I am not likely to bother. I was hoping the projector would at least tide me over until Black Friday sales for the 2019 LG OLED C9. Doesn't sound likely it'll last me another week though. :(

If you feel confident enough to replace the chip then let me know. I could even sell you the hd67 cheap then you could take that one apart to remove the chip then you would know what to do with yours. The lamp will be fine. I bought an Oled so thought i wouldnt need the projector much but i ended up buying a newer one to play games on and use for 3d.

There is not that many parts inide the projector. From memory you are meant to use a small tourque screwdriver but i used a small flat one that fitted perfectly.

I could actually just take the 600x apart as the chip in there is brand new. Only turned it on to check it works.

I could actually just take the 600x apart as the chip in there is brand new. Only turned it on to check it works.
How much would you want to sell the DMD chip for?

Before I commit to a purchase I'd want to find a handy YouTube video and try and remove the current chip and re-insert it, just to ensure I can do so, and that it still works without spending any further cash. If I'm confident I can do that then I'd consider the replacement chip.

Id say for £20 i will remove it and put my projector back together and post it. Take the screws out that you can see. The top clips off but when its starting to come loose dont yank it off as there is a ribbon connection that you need to remove first. If you break that dont panic as ill give you mine but if you go slow it will come off easy. Ill try and find the video i used

Id say for £20 i will remove it and put my projector back together and post it. Take the screws out that you can see. The top clips off but when its starting to come loose dont yank it off as there is a ribbon connection that you need to remove first. If you break that dont panic as ill give you mine but if you go slow it will come off easy. Ill try and find the video i used
Cheers, I'll take a look. I won't be rushing to take the projector down until more white dots appear, but it seems likely it'll get worse very soon.

Cheers for your input, I'll likely be in touch when shit hits the fan. ;)

@brankster74 Did you have your projector mounted? I've got my third white dot appear yesterday and the thought had crossed my mind to upgrade to a 1080p model with 3D built-in.

With 4K HDR being the big push I imagine the 1080p 3D ones have probably dropped a lot.

The reason I asked about whether you have mounted your projector or not is that my concern for a new model would be whether I can use it on the existing fixed mount and screen. If I've got to reposition the mount then I don't think I'd bother with an upgraded model.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom