1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Optoma HD600X DMD chip replacement

Discussion in 'Projectors' started by bladteth, Nov 15, 2012.

1. bladteth

bladteth Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

After nearly 2 years (and out of warranty) my Optoma HD600X developed a fault within DMD chip. There are tens if not hundreds of black pixels and recently a few white ones became stuck on the screen. Optoma service is way too dear, so I decided to replace the faulty part myself. What DMD chip does HD600X use? Where can I get it from?

Cheers!
  2. norvell

norvell Member

Ratings:
    +96
    I had the same issue with my Optoma, again a couple of months out of warranty.

The only place I have seen chips for sale is on Ebay (sourced from China)
  3. bladteth

bladteth Member

Ratings:
    +0
    It does not seem to be a rare problem judging by the number of posts in this forum.

Any idea what part numbers should I look for? Cheers!
  4. norvell

norvell Member

Ratings:
    +96
    I have no idea of the relevant part number, even googling gives very vague results.

As your Optoma is now neither use nor ornament i would suggest disassembly and get the part number of your defective chip/board.

There are chips for the HD67 and DW318 on Ebay which are very similar projectors to the HD600 and may indeed use the same Chip. ;)
  5. fizwax

fizwax Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Hello All. I am suffering from the same problem on my optima hd600x. It is out of warranty so I took the liberty of opening it up to bits to get the DMD chip part number.

The number is 1272-6038B.

The only place that sells them is AliExpress.com but it's not the cheapest chip in the block! I read somewhere that if you match the last part of the part number (6038b) you might find a cheaper compatible alternative. However I don't want to risk it seeing as the suppliers are all in China! There is also obviously some differences, hence the jump in price.

I have ordered mine and will haven to wait a week or more before it arrives. Hopefully should work and prolong the life if the projector. If you are willing to wait, I can update you on my progress before you all take the plunge!

Regards,
    Fiaz
  6. bladteth

bladteth Member

Ratings:
    +0
    There is no rush. How easy is it to disassemble the projector to get to DMD chip? I took apart a few laptops in the past, no problems.
  7. fizwax

fizwax Member

Ratings:
    +0
    If you have opened up laptops before (without fear) then this is child play in comparison. As with laptops there are a couple of ribbon cables, connectors and lots of screws. But overall the parts are larger and fewer so quite easy to remember what goes where.

The dmd chip is behind the lens, so you have to take out the main board to get to it. It has a CPU like heat sink connected to the lens unit with two spring loaded screws. The socket opens like a CPU socket so very easy to take out and replace.

The thing to be careful of is not to damage the colour wheel during the dismantle. I somehow managed to knock off a segment and didn't realise until I turned it on again and heard the vibrations. For the time being I have super glued the segment back on (luckily it hadn't smashed) and it seems to be holding together, but I won't consider buying a replacement wheel if the DMD chip replacement doesn't work out.

When I get my chip I will try and post some photos of what I did.
  8. bladteth

bladteth Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Sounds easy peasy. I have enquired about potential costs of DMD chip replacement and all Optoma support could say was to ask me to send the projector over, so that they can have a look at it for just £55 + VAT. Huge disappointment.
  9. fizwax

fizwax Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I have managed to swap out the DMD with the replacement I ordered from China and can happily confirm it worked. No more stuck pixels!

I forgot to take pictures of my delicate handiwork but rest assured it is not as hard as you think.

The chip cost me just over £100 inc. delivery, and fingers crossed will keep the projector going for a couple of more years.
    Hope this helps you in deciding whether or not to opt for the self repair route :)
  10. bladteth

bladteth Member

Ratings:
    +0
    That's great news. Could you provide a link to the chip you purchased? Do you know what kind of warranty comes with it? Cheers!
  11. fizwax

fizwax Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Here is a link to the item I purchased. I chose this over others at the time as this supplier had it in stock and offered cheaper delivery costs.

Projector DMD Chip 1272 6038B-in Other Electronic Components from Electronic Components & Supplies on Aliexpress.com

You might find it a bit cheaper from others but it's always best to check if they have it in stock before placing the order. Just search the site for 1272-6038B (I think the 6038, 6039, 6138 and 6139 are all compatible but it's hard to get any information about these chips anywhere).

Mine came with a 180 day warranty but others offer up to a year. The whole AliExpress setup seems very professional, and you can open up disputes if you don't receive the item. The supplier only gets paid when you confirm you received the goods and are happy with the product. That's not to say that the money doesn't come out of your account until then, because it does get taken when you pay for your order! The supplier doesn't get paid until you are happy and you can even request a full or partial refund if things don't go to plan.

Also, when choosing shipping options (if you want it here quicker than the 15-29 days standard post), choose DHL over EMS. I went for EMS and they took way longer than the 7-10 days to deliver. Whereas when I ordered my colour wheel (from another supplier) it was shipped via DHL and I got it in 3 days!

Hope this helps.
  12. draftvader

draftvader Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I have had the same problem with my HD600x for the past 6 months. At first it was just 2 dark dots (OFF) and I could ignore it. Now it is 20+ white dots and 60+ dark dots. My bigger problem is that we are located in Thailand at the moment and projectors are 50% more expensive here. I was so relieved to find this thread and we will be taking down the projector today to get the chip number. In anticipation of the swap we have found this video on YouTube. A VERY good instructional for this task. Let me know if this matches your experience as the model is slightly different.

13. fizwax

fizwax Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi, glad to know the information helped. I have seen this YouTube clip before and it was definitely useful. The projectors internal layout is slightly different but overall it's a good guide on the things to look out for. For example the ribbon that connects the main board to the external control panel on top of the case.

My biggest advice is be careful around the colour wheel. I would carefully unscrew it first and safely put it aside. That and the lamp. Then you can bash the projector about a little more without damaging the most sensitive parts!

When you take out the chip to get the part number, the heat pad might be stuck onto the under surface where the part number is. I had to scrape mine off and then put the projector back together with some thermal paste while I waited for the replacement. The contact between the chip and the heatsink is not firm so the thermal paste was only a stop gap. When I got my replacement, it included a new heat pad so I was relieved.
  14. draftvader

draftvader Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I have received an e-mail back from Optoma UK. They have told me that my p/n for my projector model is 48.8ER01G001. This part number does not throw up any more information other than this is the OEM number for their DMD chip (meaning that it might have a normal number). fizwax, do you remember if there was any lack of clarity about the chip number on your old DMD chip?

I was trying not to take out the DMD chip yet as we only have 1 route available to replace our pj and that isn't open for another couple of months (i.e. having a friend bring it over).
  15. fizwax

fizwax Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi.

Firstly, that is a breakthrough that optoma UK are offering to sell parts! I had a lengthy conversation with one of their guys a few months back, and they basically said they were not allowed to sell parts and only dealt with repairs.

To be honest, that part number does not strike any chords. The link I posted earlier in this thread shows the exact part number (1272-6038b) of my old DMD chip. If you look closely at the image, there is nothing that matches the part number that optoma are quoting you.

Although the part I received was something like 1272-6138, it still worked. I read somewhere that the 6038,6039,6138,6139 are all compatible. The part number has to start with 1272.

I would still say that a supplier from Ali Express is probably your best bet.

Fiaz
  16. Transparent

Transparent New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Have looked through all the posts in this forum and can confirm that all the information is good. The Youtube video is accurate and the DMD chip details are correct.
    I ordered mine from China and it arrived in a relatively quick time. I take laptops apart for a living and found the replacement relatively straightforward, although I reckon it might well scare the less experienced.
    So I'd like to say thanks for all the help. Which is the complete opposite of what I'd like to say to Optoma and Amazon. I wasn't best pleased that my £400 machines processor broke in less than 2 years, the bulb lasted longer and I've got 3 boys! Amazon were completely useless.
    If anyone wants me to do this replacement for them the Torpoint Computers is the company.
  17. kkuula

kkuula Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi. I got exact same problem with my HD600X, lot of dead pixels.. My optoma is about 2 years old just out of warranty! :mad: This projector got about 9000 hours and now 3. lamp. Always bought cheapest replacement bulb, original philips £70 from ebay and been happy until now DMD chip is dying. :suicide:

THANKS for information in this thread! :thumbsup:

This thread saved me for buying new projector and seems to be that optoma does not sell this kind of cheap 720P projektors anymore and cheapest FullHD macine is too expensive.
  18. kkuula

kkuula Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Finally got new DMD chip. Repair procedure was quite easy especially I had experiece in repairing laptops. Most difficult part was attach thermal pad to heatsink/chip without ruin it

Original chip was 1272-6039B and replacing chip 1272-6339B. I bought it aliexpress. Delivery china to Finland took about 3-4 weeks.
  19. Mitch205gti

Mitch205gti New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Thought I would have ago taking mine apart yesterday to check which chip I had and accidentally broke the colour wheel, so annoyed with my self!
    Does any one know where I can get a replacement from as only one I can find is on US Amazon.

Thanks

Mitch
  20. fizwax

fizwax Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Hey Mitch,

I damaged mine too when I was replacing the chip. Fortunately one of the segments had just broken apart and I was able to carefully super glue it back in without too much mess and glue spreading everywhere. I also ordered a replacement just in case. My repaired wheel continued to work fine for another year.

When looking for a replacement I couldn't find anyone selling the hd600x colour wheel but apparently many of these dlp projectors have the same colour wheel configuration. I found one that looked like it had the same colour segments (and segment sizes) as mine on aliexpress.com (Color Wheel for Optoma HD65S) I got in contact with the supplier (details below) who asked me to confirm the diameter (mine was 40mm). So I ordered it and only had to put it in recently because the original wheel eventually smashed to pieces within the projector whilst running.

Important thing to note: The alignment of the colour wheel is determined by a small black sticker on the barrel of the wheel. The replacement doesn't have this sticker (I guess each projector has it's own configuration) so you either need to take it off from the old wheel or put a new black sticker of exact size in the exact same spot on the new wheel. Any deviation in position will result in wishy washy colours. There is an alignment that can be done from the service menu if needed but as long as you noted where you took it off from and put it on in the correct place then it should be fine.

Supplier website below, but I ordered via aliexpress.com and was in constant contact with a lady named June on the email address below.

yylamp.com
    yy_lamp@hotmail.com

Good luck.
    Fiaz
  21. Mitch205gti

Mitch205gti New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Fiaz, will have a look into once Christmas is out of way, but it's put my mind at rest.

Cheers
    Mitch
  22. Sandra51

Sandra51 Member

Ratings:
    +11
    A white dot appeared on my HD 600X this evening. Its a single one almost dead centre to the picture. Is there another thing it could be other than the DMD chip, that I check ?
    I switched it off and let it cool down and cleaned the lens and switched it back on about an hour later and its still in the exact same place.
  23. fizwax

fizwax Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Sorry to say but sounds like a stuck mirror on the chip so it is on it's merry way out. One dot will soon lead to many but if you are lucky you won't be able to notice or pay attention to them until they are all over, which for me was a couple of months after dot one. You can wait until that point then look to sell it as faulty or repair it yourself as some of us have done.

Personally I would sell it now and cut your losses since the projector is discontinued anyway. Buy a newer projector with peace of mind.
  24. Sandra51

Sandra51 Member

Ratings:
    +11
    Thanks for that but unfortunately it couldn't be much nearer the central part of the screen so even though its only a single one it makes it almost unwatchable and I cant really afford to replace the projector as I would be left with 6 pairs of glasses and the 3DXL box which I wouldn't be able to use with a later model.
    From what you have said in an earlier post it doesn't sound that bad to replace the chip and I have found some from China for $83 delivered so I may try one of those as I only have a few hundred hours on it yet. If I had over a thousand then I would be thinking of upgrading but apart from that dot I am very happy with the picture quality.

Thanks for replying :)
  25. fizwax

fizwax Member

Ratings:
    +0
    No problem. The repair isn't too tricky, you have to pretty much disassemble everything to get to the chip but it's not difficult to put back together in the end.

Remember to be careful with the colour wheel (and lamp). Very carefully take these out first and put them aside, try not to knock the colour wheel with your screw driver as the segments are prone to coming apart.

Good luck :thumbsup:
  26. Sandra51

Sandra51 Member

Ratings:
    +11
    I pulled it apart on Saturday evening with a friends help to confirm the chip number in case something had changed.
    Unfortunately I can not now find the place I saw the chip advertised at $83 delivered, maybe I was looking at a different number or had read it as $ not £. It was the 1272-6038B as you said earlier.
    I was negotiating with a guy in China from around 2am until 4.30am yesterday and again this afternoon and the cheapest I can get him down to is $140 which should be around £85, I did find a couple of places offering one delivered a pound or two cheaper but the guy I was speaking to has worked hard for his sale, he even told me it was after 8pm his time and he was getting hungry as he hadn't had his dinner yet :)
    I was expecting him to have raised an invoice for me by now as he said the office was shut and he'd send one as soon as he got in but nothing has arrived yet.
    I will let you know how I get one but it will probably be a few weeks before it arrives :(
  27. Perciville

Perciville New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Folks

I signed up for this forum cause it appeared the closest with answers and questions to my problem though my machine is a Benq W600+ but uses a very similar DMD chip, 1272-6339B according to the internet. I haven't taken mine apart that far yet so not sure of the actual no. I have been hearing mention of lots of DMD failures with the the W600+, but not sure if bad chip or bad assembly. I'm interested in finding out which chips are compatible and which are the latest version or any news at all on these chips as there isn't much showing on the good old web. I don't want to throw a bad chip back into my machine.

The cause of failure for these chips is HEAT! With my machine I made the mistake of turning the power out at the breaker while the projector was still on several times. This didn't allow the "cool down cycle" to cool the chip for a few min. after you turn off. These white specks started showing up right after that and it's got so bad I shut it down. This on a machine with less the 100 hours. Sat on my self for a 1.5 years before I could use it and then I maim it before I even use it.

POWER FAILURES ARE BAD FOR PROJECTORS I induced PFs by being dumb but any real PF will do the same thing. So put a power back-up on your system so you have time to shut down properly. Also I wouldn't use the thermal couple pads they supply with the chip. It would be much better to use a CPU thermal paste like Arctic Silver as those pads are to thick to dissipate heat to the heat sink quickly enough in a crisis IMO. CPUs can probably take more heat then these DMD chips which have micro mirrors flipping open and closed. Huh! I thought we were in a "solid state world" now. So heat dissipation is even more important for these apparently delicate chips. The thermal paste will squeeze out a lot better leaving only the thinnest amount and allowing the chip and the heat sink to be metal to metal while filling the gaps much better then those stupid pads. Of course all the rules for applying thermal paste to a CPU apply. Don't use to much or to little; spread it evenly and as thin as you can; don't get it on the pins as it will short them: etc.

IMO I think this comes down to bad design if a machine can fail after a couple of power failures. However we are stuck with the dumb things for the time being and fixing them and getting max life out of them is always the goal. Waste not, want not. Live and learn.
  28. Sandra51

Sandra51 Member

Ratings:
    +11
    When I took mine out the pad hadn't even completely covered the surface of the DMD, there was about a sixth of it in one corner left bare. The extra heat dissipation from the whole surface being covered may have saved it as I have always left it for hours before restarting apart from the day when I saw the fist white dot and even then I waited an hour after I had shut it down and switched it off before I cleaned the lens and cleaned around the casing, then I switched it back on to see if it was still there, unfortunately it was.

The chip I am getting is the 1280-603B, which the supplier has assured me is compatible. All the other suppliers list it and 3 or 4 variations on the original 1272-306B one as being the same so I am keeping my fingers crossed that when it arrives it fits and works in the same way.
    I will be using arctic silver on it and not relying on a pad and hopefully it will do me until the bulb goes or I can afford to upgrade to a better projector.
  29. Perciville

Perciville New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Sandra51 I read in another thread that the chips had to have the same first four no, 1272- and could have a variety of last four no. in my case for my Benq W600+, they are stating 1272-6038B, 1272-6039B, 1272-6338B, 1272-6339B are all compatible. But I also heard that there was a DMD chip up-grade with better heat resistance then the earlier chips and that's the chip I want to get. Just not sure which no. represents that up-grade.

This the answer i got from a supplier off Alibaba

Is 1280-6338B compatible with
    1272-6038B 1272-6039B 1272-6338B 1272-6339B
    cn112944446(2014-03-30 23:47:37):
    no

Did your original DMD chip have only 3 numerals and a letter as opposed to 4 and a letter in the last part of the number? 1272-603B? 1272-6038B? All DMD no. I am seeing on Alibaba have 0000-0000A.
    Last edited: Mar 31, 2014
  30. Sandra51

Sandra51 Member

Ratings:
    +11
    Sorry I didn't see your post until I came on to say that the chip arrived on Monday and I have fitted it this evening and its working fine.
    For some reason I missed the 8 off the details in my post of the 29th.

The original chip was 1272 - 6038B
    The replacement I received was 1280 - 6138B

It looks like as long as they have the same number and layout of pins they are all interchangeable, but get the supplier to confirm that the one they will be sending is compatible to be on the safe side.

This is the person who I dealt with via Alibaba.com :
    Email: mike@newgaintech.com
    Tel: 86-755-83241831
    Fax: 86-755-33378285
    Mobile: 86-13798544936

The initial quote was for $108 plus shipping via FedEx is $30 add 4% PayPal charge $7 total is $145
    After I said it was too expensive he dropped $5 off and sent it airmail by DHL, which worked out at £87.40 which I paid on Wednesday the 26th then on Saturday the 29th I got a text to voice call at home from DHL saying I had vat and customs duty to pay of £3.35 and it arrived in a box big enough to have the lamp housing and heat sink in on Monday the 31st in the early morning. They could have just posted it in a small jiffy bag and saved a lot of the delivery costs, although it probably had to be done that way to be insured.

The finish on the heat sink where it contacts the chip is very rough, especially when compared to CPUs in PCs so it needed a lot of arctic silver to level it up. Hopefully it will last longer than the original as I only had 690 hours on the bulb when I checked. The pad they had originally used must be very cheap stuff as it pulled away just using my thumbnail, and the back of the chip was as clean as the new one was :(

I don't know if I can add any more but if you think of anything I haven't said, just ask :)