Home Entertainment & Technology Resource

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Optoma HD33 vs BenQ W7000 vs Epson TW-6100?

Discussion in 'Projectors' started by TobiasDK, Dec 8, 2012.

1. TobiasDK

TobiasDK Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

I have had a look at the Optoma HD33 projector today at a store, but I felt the colors were a little bit unnatural or too saturated. I was told by the guy in the shop that the BenQ W7000 got more a more natural picture, but unfortunately they couldn't set it up for a demo.

I can get the W7000 at the same price as the HD33 (since it's a refurbished model with 700 hours) - but as they only have one that will be for sale tomorrow I have to decide quickly :)

What do you think? Is the colors of the W7000 better and more natural than the HD33?

As an alternative I have been looking at the Epson TW-6100, but I can't have a look at this anywhere. I have been reading that LCD's projectors tend to have a more natural image, a bit softer - and more "film-like", but I'm not sure what I should put into the word film-like :)

How would you think this Epson compares with the two DLP's?

I really hope someone can help me - I would really appreciate that :)
  2. trivialsid

trivialsid Member

Ratings:
    +1
    I have the HD33 and what persuaded me was if you google the number you can find a lot of independant reviews and all seem to agree that its picture quality and built in 3d has tacken expert reviewers by surprise at this price point, if you are new to projectors do you realise the their is a choice of picture settings such as cinema mode. I find myself the HD33 to give marvellous HD pictures from the sky HD channels which is set up in a summer house making it an easy way to improve the picture by simply painting the wood surrounding the screen black on sides, floor and ceiling.
  3. leebarrow29

leebarrow29 Active Member

Ratings:
    +37
    I would go 7000 sharper lens
  4. soupdragon

soupdragon Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,073
    Did rainbows bother you with the HD33?

I would go with the BenQ - much more versatile with lens shift, zoom plus its got a lot of great features with frame interpolation doing a great job with sports and 3D (and movies too but i prefer 24p for my movies). It has a full colour management system too but colours out of the box are actually pretty good. I can't remember the menu's off the top of my head but you could just stick it in cinema mode, 2.2 or 2.4 gamma, adjust your brightness and contrast and you'll have a great image just doing that.
    You should also have a look at the BenQ w1070. Its got better native contrast that the W7000 although its just out and not too many reviews kicking about right now....
  5. TobiasDK

TobiasDK Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks to all for your replies :) I do see rainbows on the HD33, but I am unsure if it's going to be a problem to me. As I mentioned earlier I did find the image a bit artificial in a way - so I decided not to go for the W7000 deal and instead see a LCD. However, the only way for me to see a LCD in action is to buy one. So that's what I'm going to do, and then I will send it back for a refund if I don't like it.
    At the moment I'm leaning towards the Epson TW-6100 - but what other alternatives do you think there are in the same price range?
  6. soupdragon

soupdragon Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,073
    If you want 3d then the 6100 or 5900 is your best bet.
  7. TobiasDK

TobiasDK Member

Ratings:
    +0
    What if we're only looking at 2D? I haven't discovered other 2D-only options than the Epson TW-3200, but isn't the TW-6100 quite a bit better than this for 2D too?
  8. soupdragon

soupdragon Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,073
    The 3200 has lens shift and should be cheaper. Other than that, I'm not too familiar with the differences - I'm sure one or two have upgraded from 3200 to 6010/6100 so hopefully someone of those will be able to help? Have a look in the owners threads too for some info.
  9. TobiasDK

TobiasDK Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks, I will search around some more :)

However, I am starting to consider if I should increase the budget a bit again (this always happens when I'm buying something :p) to a Sony HW30ES - how big an improvement would this be?

Are we primarily talking about an improved black level?

I can make the room completely dark, but the walls and ceiling are white, except for the wall with the screen (this one is black/very dark gray) - the floor is covered with a light gray carpet. But with my current projector I have preferred to have a bit of ambient light in the room (I got more tired in my eyes without it, but this may be different with another projector).
  10. TobiasDK

TobiasDK Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I sort of decided to go with the cheaper Epson TW-5910 or TW-3200 instead of the other options (and save up and get a really good projector at a later time).

I thought I should pick TW-5910 but do I'm unsure if it will fit properly in my room or if I should go with TW-3200 instead because of lens shift. My room has a low ceiling of 208 cm, and my screen is a 92" which is 40 cm below the ceiling. My current projector mount puts the projector about 16-17 cm from the ceiling.
    When I go to https://www.epson.co.uk/gb/en/viewcon/corporatesite/products/mainunits/overview/12138 and click "Distance Calculator" I get that the projector needs to be 32 cm from the ceilling. How strict is this measure? Do I need to do something about my mount or will I be able to tilt the projector a little bit without getting noticeable distortion?

I'm worried if the projector will get too close if I lower it all the way to 32 cm (it's probably going to hang just a little bit behind the seating area, or right above)