Home Entertainment & Technology Resource

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Optoma hd33 / hd300x owners thread - Part 3

Discussion in 'Projectors' started by the_dude2, Sep 30, 2012.

1. toddy28

toddy28 Active Member

Ratings:
    +344
    how are you feeding the projector the o/u video as a stright 1080p image then selecting o/u on the projector or is your pc mixing the image and sending it frame packed ?
  2. smd9

smd9 Member

Ratings:
    +1
    The first one.

I tried the second option but it slowed down everything to a crawl since my HTPC doesn't have a strong CPU.
  3. toddy28

toddy28 Active Member

Ratings:
    +344
    Very strange most stuff is in sbs anyway so you should be ok
  4. smd9

smd9 Member

Ratings:
    +1
    The same thing happens with SBS stuff too, just horizontally rather than vertically.
    The SBS image below shows quite a significant amount of misalignment on the whole picture; much more than what should be for a 3D image. You can also see the large amount of overlap on the sides of the image.

Neither of the files (OU or SBS) look like that when being fed from my Blu-Ray player, they look more like what you'd expect (properly aligned, without the overlap on the sides)

[​IMG]

The BR player is actually built into my (all in one) surround sound system, with the HTPC being routed through that. At first I thought that might be the problem, but the Xbox is also routed through the surround sound system also and it looks just fine.

I had also contacted Optoma support and they said to wait for the glasses, but as I had mentioned before, it doesn't look like the glasses will help with the image from the HTPC.

Lucky me to have a problem as strange as this :)
  5. Gumbo40

Gumbo40 Member

Ratings:
    +4
    Been of the scene for a while guys been quite Ill.

Emporer glad you got a new hd33 and all your problems gone I fancy some of those new glasses.

Toddy I've seen a few new movies while trying to get back on my feet see that Abraham Lincoln vampire hunter was ok, Prometheus was average but landscape shots were nice.

Still looking at screens, anyone recommend a good soundbar for a few 100 notes with separate subwoofer?
  6. toddy28

toddy28 Active Member

Ratings:
    +344
    Hi gumbo

How's tricks

Why do you want a weak sound bar get some real sound ;)
  7. Gumbo40

Gumbo40 Member

Ratings:
    +4
    Hehe I've been weak for the last 5 weeks don't think I could carry an amp at the moment also I have neighbours below me.
  8. toddy28

toddy28 Active Member

Ratings:
    +344
    What have you got at the moment for sound
  9. Gumbo40

Gumbo40 Member

Ratings:
    +4
    Some old speaker unit I just plug in ain't had the money for my sound setup but will have soon just don't want wires everywhere!
  10. toddy28

toddy28 Active Member

Ratings:
    +344
    Last edited: Nov 8, 2012
  11. toddy28

toddy28 Active Member

Ratings:
    +344
  12. MI55ION

MI55ION Active Member

Ratings:
    +604
    Just received my new hd33 with fw co5 but I suspect its a dud. From the moment i turned it on i noticed weird horizontal lines flashing, then it would stop, then sometimes change colour and so on. Tried different sources/inputs and even when theres nothing connected but still same issue. Got a headache from all the flashing lines. Fed up with it now so going to bed but thought i would post this up just in case anyone can id the issue. Prob call the supplier tomorrow and return it, first time Optoma purchase and wow... disappointed! Some pics for illustration:

image-432248032.jpg

image-1702939865.jpg

image-2913960799.jpg
  13. toddy28

toddy28 Active Member

Ratings:
    +344
    as the lines come over the projectors own menu it's nothing to do with any of your sources so I would say its dead , ask for a new unit don't accept a repair , contact your supplier not optoma

The only thing to try is a reset through the menu and unplugging it from the mains for a couple mins

Don't be put of , it's a cracking projector
    Last edited: Nov 9, 2012
  14. MI55ION

MI55ION Active Member

Ratings:
    +604
    Yeah thanks mate, tried reset/unplugging last night but no difference.
  15. toddy28

toddy28 Active Member

Ratings:
    +344
    image-2013243408.jpg

Just got some of the new rf glasses and very nice they are , there lighter performance seems the same apart from the only cross talk I have ever seen on my hd33 and that is with the menu of transformers 3 the bright blu text on black has a slight ghost at the bottom of the old rf lenses but its all gone with the new glasses the only other crosstalk I have seen was on an IMAX film can't remember what one but it had bright blue line cg on black and that had a small amount of ghosting
    So these were the first things I tried

Worth the upgrade , !!!! Not sure yet as they weren't cheap and would of been fine with my original rf glasses, will report back after watching a couple films

But I have had both sets on my head switching between both and there's not much in it so far
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  16. Sandra51

Sandra51 Member

Ratings:
    +12
    @smd9
    I dont know if it helps at all but what you have shown with your SBS and O and U pictres is the same as a friend gets on his pc connected to his passive 3D LG monitor/TV, unless he selects full screen.
    Even if a film is playing in what looks like its full screen it stays overlapped until you click on the full screen option of whichever media player he is using, then it usually aligns OK and the 3D works OK with the glasses on.

I dont know how you can get a similar thing with a projector though, unless the resolution is set wrong on the original source you are playing it from.

Incidentally even playing the same films on my passive 3D LG monitor from my pc, (its not the same as my friends with the TV included), my passive 3D 42 inch TV or my Optoma HD600 and 3D XL projector setup, I havent been able to recreate the same effect so maybe its something to do with his graphics card.
  17. Gumbo40

Gumbo40 Member

Ratings:
    +4
    Thanks toddy I think I will go for the one with the mic.
    Last edited: Nov 10, 2012
  18. toddy28

toddy28 Active Member

Ratings:
    +344
    They charge via USB and as your looking at spending near £400 on sound , richer sounds might be able to hook you up with an onkyo amp and better speakers

image-1815313278.jpg

image-13469847.jpg

Got this email yesterday
  19. MI55ION

MI55ION Active Member

Ratings:
    +604
    Just had the postman deliver a large pack of 3d blu ray titles I preordered earlier in the week in anticipation of the hd33. Oh dear, the disappointment just got worse!!
  20. Gumbo40

Gumbo40 Member

Ratings:
    +4
    Hello mi55ion what discs arrived? Also don't worry it will be worth the wait!

I paid £1300 for mine it's now £999 and is a bargain at that price!

I'm just saving now for my amp and speakers hopefully pick it up in December
    This av kit is expensive. It's great in the winter as it gets dark early so get to watch more movies.

Can't wait for batman,expendibles,judge dress, and skyfall which I thought was superb at the cinema.
  21. emporer

emporer Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,623
    Expendables 2 was great, watched the bluray a few weeks back, awesome on the big screen, and its always nice to see Arnie have the biggest gun!

Great film, word on the vine is that Nic Cage has signed on for the 3rd.
  22. Gumbo40

Gumbo40 Member

Ratings:
    +4
    I need to sort out my sound before I get batman and the expendables! Looking at amps at the moment!
  23. Rob127

Rob127 New Member

Ratings:
    +7
    :laugh:
    I HAVE to say, after reading great review after great review, im not too impressed with the amount of brand new HD33 duds ! Optoma REALLY needs to work on its quality control :nono:

i myself got a dud, and its a nightmare, the pj (once you get a working one) is ok, but im not too impressed with the 3D, this is very much contrary to the reviews, but it might be that i was expecting more...i expected more, or at least some pop out :(

in 2D its ok, not as cinematic as my old CRT, but a lot less likley to kill me if it falls :laugh:
    heres my old setup in 2004
    [​IMG]
    and heres my current , new setup
    [​IMG]
    the lack of any real edge masking , or proper picture setup controls is frustrating,especially no rotation or pitch adjustment, the zoom is very limited, the electronic zoom is a joke, and the focus wheel is rather "baggy" no real feel, nothing solid..

I use an Optoma Panoview 120" screen and i sit 15ft away from it, so its the perfect seating setup.
    [​IMG]
    would i reccomend this PJ...TBH i dont know, i would forget 3D as its its not great..probably on any pj or TV..and concentrate on a better 2D machine..
    sorry if this honest post offends. :rolleyes:
    cheers Rob
    Last edited: Nov 11, 2012
  24. Gumbo40

Gumbo40 Member

Ratings:
    +4
    Hello Rob

If you want pop out get journey to the center of the earth the real 3d one its the best pop out i have ever seen its in you face and its all the way through the movie.

As toddy said its like a theme park ride full of it.
  25. Rob127

Rob127 New Member

Ratings:
    +7
    cheers gumbo, il check that out :)
  26. Gumbo40

Gumbo40 Member

Ratings:
    +4
    Here is a link from amazon.com you might be able to get it of ebay

Amazon.com: Journey to the Center of the Earth (One Disc Blu-ray 3D/Blu-ray Combo): Brendan Fraser, Josh Hutcherson, Anita Briem, Eric Brevig, Toby Emmerich, Jennifer Flackett: Movies & TV

but tanlged is a good start just checked out my 3d movies alot of them have depth but i like the animation ones cloudy with a chance of meatballs i like too. i got 22 3d movies some have more depth some have excellent popout i did like alice in wonderland too, i also have journey to the centre of the earth 2 which is no where near as good but still a fun movie.
  27. Gumbo40

Gumbo40 Member

Ratings:
    +4
    oh nice set up by the way is still aint got a screen how much was your screen?
  28. Gumbo40

Gumbo40 Member

Ratings:
    +4
    Rob what glasses are you using?
  29. Rob127

Rob127 New Member

Ratings:
    +7
    cheers, i got the electric remote controlled optoma panoview at a great price from misco £350 ish, its the european model, with the silly plug, but i just cut it off' i think in europe is called the pantalla...i had seen up for sale up to £800 in other places..:eek:
  30. Rob127

Rob127 New Member

Ratings:
    +7
    the propper 3D-RF new model from optoma mate. i have 3 pairs