1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Optoma hd33 / hd300x owners thread - Part 3

Discussion in 'Projectors' started by the_dude2, Sep 30, 2012.

1. Chester Pete

Chester Pete Member

Ratings:
    +15
    I had an equivalent projector (HD700X). If the bulb is old, consider a new one.
    Also, see this thread - try different settings before you buy something else?
    http://www.avforums.com/forums/projectors/1698839-screens-blinds-some-experiences.html
    I would have thought a screen for 3D is a must.
  2. Mensy

Mensy Active Member

Ratings:
    +552
    Well i already have a screen, i think i may need a new bulb but im not 100% sure and i dont wanna waste £100 + just to find out its made no difference :(
  3. toddy28

toddy28 Member

Ratings:
    +344
    Edmitter only needed for rf glasses you don't need one for dlp link
  4. Chester Pete

Chester Pete Member

Ratings:
    +15
    Hi Mensy,
    Bulbs and HD65 is off topic really - Would be better to post a separate thread now?
  5. museumsteve

museumsteve Active Member

Ratings:
    +571
    toddy...you may have done this already in past threads, but would you fancy posting your 3D settings?
    I found a list on avs and it seemed okay gut I always end up going back to default but I know it could be better.
    I know every one will be different, but it would give me something to start with :)
  6. toddy28

toddy28 Member

Ratings:
    +344
    No point mate , honestly every ones setup and rooms are different , I haven't tweaked the standard settings much , it's not bad out of the box

The main thing I have done is turned of pure motion as I don't think it's needed
  7. emporer

emporer Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,612
    If anyone is after the new glasses, ZF2100, the cheapest i've found is at projector point at the moment, £65+vat and delivery, works out at just over £88 and still expensive but certainly the cheapest i've found so far.
  8. Rob127

Rob127 New Member

Ratings:
    +7
    £66 here
    Optoma 3D-RF Glasses: Amazon.co.uk: TV
    cheers rob
  9. toddy28

toddy28 Member

Ratings:
    +344
    Old style ;)
  10. Rob127

Rob127 New Member

Ratings:
    +7
    any difference in 3D ?
  11. toddy28

toddy28 Member

Ratings:
    +344
    Don't no not got a set yet to try side by side
  12. emporer

emporer Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,612
    Having used both new and old style rf glasses, the new model certainly seems to let in more light, and I couldn't see any crosstalk at all.
  13. Wayne W

Wayne W Member

Ratings:
    +21
    Great to see you seem to be a lot happier with the HD33 this time. :thumbsup:
  14. emporer

emporer Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,612
    So far so good, can't fault it with the new firmware, seems to have fixed all the issues I previously had.

This unit for under a grand is an absolute steal, especially with the new glasses, there just isn't anything even close to it for the money.
  15. Normal Bias

Normal Bias Member

Ratings:
    +98
    +1 also happy for you emporer, after the hassle you had and how disillusioned you became. Brave move to buy another one, you must really like the HD33 :D

Still very chuffed with my HD300X, just waiting for the new ReAct material to come out.

Might try a pair of the new specs, if nothing else they will be easily recognisable as *my* pair - the kids always get their sticky fingers all over them :)
  16. emporer

emporer Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,612
    I was actually all set to get this unit fully expecting it to be on the older f/w, i'd not came across or read anything about an updated f/w, I was pretty much set on getting it and living with the issues I experienced last time round because really there is nothing close to it for the money, I was really pleased to see it come with new design glasses and even more pleased to see the C05 f/w and it fixing the issues I had, i'm very happy indeed.
  17. toddy28

toddy28 Member

Ratings:
    +344
    Just what I was thinking
  18. toddy28

toddy28 Member

Ratings:
    +344
    Tryed to pm you mate could you give me a price on the new glasses , I brought my hd33 from you and 4 sets of glasses on release day

Fancy trying out the new ones ;)
  19. ShanePJ

ShanePJ Member Assured Advertiser

Ratings:
    +232
    No worries. I remember you! I'll have a look tomorrow for you once I'm back in the shop!

Regards, Shane
  20. toddy28

toddy28 Member

Ratings:
    +344
    Cheers drop me a pm ;)
  21. toddy28

toddy28 Member

Ratings:
    +344
    If anyone is interested I will be listing 2 sets of rf glasses on the classifieds when I get home tonight

Boxed as new £105 including recorded insured postage
  22. smd9

smd9 Member

Ratings:
    +1
    Hi everyone,

I've spent the last few days reading over this thread and am really excited to use the 3D on my HD33. I ordered a pair of Optoma ZD201s from Expansys.ca over a week ago but they have yet to ship. I also ordered a cheap sainsonic pair off eBay but they're shipping from China and will take a while to arrive. The price difference was huge though ($120 shipped for the Optoma glasses, $16 shipped for the Sainsonic). I hope the quality isn't much worse on the sainsonic.

In anticipation of the 3D (just to make sure it works OK and to have some content to try when the glasses arrive) , I downloaded some SBS and OU MKV files to check out on my HTPC, and also tried some 3D YouTube content. I was quite disappointed to find some weird misalignment issue when I switched the projector to 3D mode. I posted about it on another forum here and included some pictures of what I mean, but I was wondering if any of the owners in this thread have seen anything similar.

I don't have any 3D Blu-Rays to try out yet, which is why I'm settling for MKV files and YouTube. If I play the file from my Blu-Ray player it seems to work like it should (as does Batman from my Xbox), so it seems it's just my HTPC (with an AMD video card) that's causing the problem.

Any ideas?
  23. tomkat2006

tomkat2006 New Member

Ratings:
    +1
    Hi, I havent bought one of these yet so am looking for some advice before I (hopefully) do so.

Ive 2 main issues which is why Im here, first is space.
    The unit would be ceiling mounted and will be approx 23 feet from the screen.
    The screen will be 180"

Will this setup be ok picture wise?

Secondly and most important. This unit will be hooked up to SKY TV (not SKY HD) and predominantly have content from the PC, XBOX 360 and PS3 via a switchbox. Has anyone here have such a system, what are the pitfalls? Ive a suped up PC so ideally am looking to game and watch movies on the system but dont want to go into this blind. Any help appreciated.
  24. toddy28

toddy28 Member

Ratings:
    +344
    180" that's huge how big is your room , I would suggest a smaller screen for a brighter sharper image

As for the source question I have everything connected to mine no problem at all everything goes in to my av amp and one lead to the projector
  25. toddy28

toddy28 Member

Ratings:
    +344
    Smd 9 , don't worry about the image till you get your glasses I'm sure it will be fine

On some Disney 3d films you get a small overlap image on the edges and I'm sure that's what your seeing on the 3d clips you have , sbs clips sometimes do this

I don't bother with sbs as the projector is so much better with full frame 3d

There are 3d media players that play back 3d Iso files for your backed up 3d blu rays ;)
  26. benwoodcock

benwoodcock Member

Ratings:
    +9
    I haven't been paying much attention since I bought my hd600x, if I were to upgrade, is there a big difference between different glasses, and if so what?
  27. tomkat2006

tomkat2006 New Member

Ratings:
    +1
    My bad, most likely a 92" screen as far as viewing goes.
    Whats the benefit of having a 4:3 screen to 16:9? I currently have a 50" plasma and everything ok on that, so would it be best to get a 16:9 in such a case?

I take it a picture from 23ft is fine? What about just 8-9 feet away?
  28. toddy28

toddy28 Member

Ratings:
    +344
    to start with you cant get as big or small an image as you want with a projector you have to take in account the throw of the lens the bigger the distance from lens to screen give a bigger picture but you will loose a lot of brightness , for a 92" image you need to be around 11 foot away it's not possible to get a 92" image from 23 foot away

have a look at this

Optoma HD33 Projection Calculator - Throw Distance and Screen Size

and a 16.9 screen is a must its a wide screen projector and will fit most content the best
  29. toddy28

toddy28 Member

Ratings:
    +344
    huge diffrence in 2d qualty 1080p really makes a diffrence and theres not much in it between dlp link glasses and rf they both doo a good job
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  30. smd9

smd9 Member

Ratings:
    +1
    I thought the glasses might fix the issue when they come, but the picture of the O/U clip shows that the misalignment is vertical, and since my eyes are horizontal, I have a feeling that the glasses won't fix that.

[​IMG]

Also, the fact that when I play the file through my BR player the misalignment doesn't happen makes me think it's a problem between my HTPC and the projector.

I would expect the picture to look more like what the Batman image below from my Xbox360 looks like (with only the background misaligned to indicate depth, not the whole image on every scene) - which it does when I play the file through my BR player (which supports 3D Blu Rays, but I'm not sure if that has anything to do with it).

[​IMG]

I also tried stereoscopic players that can do the image combination for me, but with hi-res (1080p) SBS/OU files they get played back really slowly when I use those players.

I intend to get some 3D Blu-Rays, which I'm sure will be better quality, but this is just a preview before I decide which full 3DBR discs I want to get. Avatar would have been a no-brainer, but I want a proper release of it and not the bare bones version that just came out
    Last edited: Nov 8, 2012