Optoma hd33 / hd300x owners thread - Part 3

williamcaput said:
Watched Avengers 3D on my Samsung player connected to the HD33 with RF glasses. Looked alright, not amazing by any means. Went to my friends house that has the exact same configuration with DLP glasses and it looked amazing. Projector is the same distance from the screen. He has 30' cables, where I have 34'. All are 3D certified. Not sure what do do at this point. The 3D is barely noticeable unless you are right in front of the screen. Sometimes it doesn't focus correctly, and occasional ghosting. I've adjusted the settings per my original post above. Looking for any suggestions to resolve this. Thanks.

I have to say Avengers is a very good 3D movie, watched with DLP glasses and it was one of the best movies I have seen in 3D.
I have recently changed to RF, I hope it's not the glasses.
Will give Avengers a go again in 3D this week and let you know my thoughts on glasses.

Hey guys, I just got myself a HD33 after all the fuzz about it being great with 3d-content but I have to say I'm very disappointed.

My symptons are almost exactly like williamcaput's.

I have a HTPC with Windows 7 which is directly connected to my HD33 with a HDMI 1.3 cable (a 1.4a cable is on the way so i can playback full bly-ray iso, frame sequential)

Anyway, I have a lot of ghosting, I think's is ghosting anyway?
In Avatar in the beginning, when you see the large space ship, there's this blue "aura" behind it?
And the picture is very straining for the eyes to look at, only after a few minutes it almost get unbearable, and the 3d is almost non existent.

I read the PDF-document that williamcaput linked to and there may be a lot of settings that I hadn't considered.
I've only tried SBS so far, and while I get that they aren't as good a full blu-ray it should't be this bad.

Any help for be really appreciated!

And by the way, do you guys have any recommended settings when it comes the image?
edge mask, pure settings and so on?
I was thinking of running DVE this weekend as well, to calibrate it a bit.

Btw: these are the glasses I'm using, I suppose i should set the 3d-mode to VESA then?

http://www.hembiobutiken.se/produkt.asp?pgrpnr=161550

Cheers!

/Martin

Last edited:
Invert the image your seeing the wrong image to each eye ,

The right is seeing the left and the left the right

It can happen with sbs files as there no signal to sync the eyes up won't happen with blu ray

A quick check is to turn your glasses upside down and see if it looks better

Also sbs looks rubbish compared to a full 1080p blu ray , I won't watch sbs anymore as its not as good

Last edited:
Hello everyone. I am new here as I recently relocated from France to the UK. I just bought a HD330x, and I already love it. But I have one problem with it...

The remote stops working at random times. I checked and the remote is sending IR signals, but the receiver seems to ignore them after a while (sthg like an hour). Considering the lack of onboard commands on this baby, it is a very annoying issue ! As soon as a I turn it off and on, it works again, but again, for a limited time.

Any idea what the issue could be ? Anyone else got this issue ? Firmware update might help ?

Cheers,

Invert the image your seeing the wrong image to each eye ,

The right is seeing the left and the left the right

It can happen with sbs files as there no signal to sync the eyes up won't happen with blu ray

A quick check is to turn your glasses upside down and see if it looks better

Also sbs looks rubbish compared to a full 1080p blu ray , I won't watch sbs anymore as its not as good

Thanks toddy, I'll have a look later tonight!

Also, what is the latest FW, i think I'm on 04 something..

4 is the newest as far as i know , I'm only on 2 as I got mine at launch , you have to send them away for updates

I adjusted the delay tuning and duty cycle. This got rid of the ghosting and gave me suitable 3D content.
I found a solution to a few other issues while troubleshooting. My smart hub had defaulted back to a display size of 55". I had to change this to 110" to match the screen. Also, the projector would constantly resync changing the size of the image on the screen. There was a setting for Super Wide that I turned off in the receiver. All seems to be good now. Good luck!

Hey guys, I just got myself a HD33 after all the fuzz about it being great with 3d-content but I have to say I'm very disappointed.

My symptons are almost exactly like williamcaput's.

I have a HTPC with Windows 7 which is directly connected to my HD33 with a HDMI 1.3 cable (a 1.4a cable is on the way so i can playback full bly-ray iso, frame sequential)

Anyway, I have a lot of ghosting, I think's is ghosting anyway?
In Avatar in the beginning, when you see the large space ship, there's this blue "aura" behind it?
And the picture is very straining for the eyes to look at, only after a few minutes it almost get unbearable, and the 3d is almost non existent.

I read the PDF-document that williamcaput linked to and there may be a lot of settings that I hadn't considered.
I've only tried SBS so far, and while I get that they aren't as good a full blu-ray it should't be this bad.

Any help for be really appreciated!

And by the way, do you guys have any recommended settings when it comes the image?
edge mask, pure settings and so on?
I was thinking of running DVE this weekend as well, to calibrate it a bit.

Btw: these are the glasses I'm using, I suppose i should set the 3d-mode to VESA then?

Optoma 3D radioglasögon - Tillbehör - 3D-Glasögon

Cheers!

/Martin

I adjusted the delay tuning and duty cycle. This got rid of the ghosting and gave me suitable 3D content.
I found a solution to a few other issues while troubleshooting. My smart hub had defaulted back to a display size of 55". I had to change this to 110" to match the screen. Also, the projector would constantly resync changing the size of the image on the screen. There was a setting for Super Wide that I turned off in the receiver. All seems to be good now. Good luck!

Thanks! Any tip when it comes to the tuning? I suppose it's all in 3D-RF Glasses-M-en-GB.pdf but I could definitely use some pointers.

Another issue as well!

I just bought myself a new HDMI cable with 1.4a support and now I'm trying to playback a full Blu-Ray iso file, hoping that the projector would sense this and turn on frame sequential, but it's greyed out, I can't even select it.

The graphics card I'm using is a AMD 6530D and it supports frame sequential over HDMI 1.4a.

I'm running Windows 7 x64 and I'm using Arcsoft Total Media Theater.

What am I doing wrong here? :confused:

Only pointer I can give is to watch a 3D movie while you tune the delay settings. Also, once you get rid of ghosting and the image looks decent, try turning your glasses upside down to see if the polarity needs adjusting.

As for frame sequential, check out this thread:
http://www.avforums.com/forums/proj...-frame-sequential-3d-working-optoma-hd33.html

Thanks! I got frame sequential working by changing display type to AMD in TMT

Now the problem is that hardware acceleration isn't working, so the cpu load lingers around 95% and the movie stutters a lot.

I have the latest drivers (12.10) and hardware acceleration is enabled in TMT.

I'm gonna try PowerDVD as well.

Regarding the tuning, i couldn't get the remote in "tuning mode".

When i press any direction the only thing that happens is that all the led lamps cycle with a green light?

Cheers!

You have to press the joystick down until the LED light up with the setting you're looking for. For correcting ghosting, you are going for 2 solid LED's. Then press the joystick up/down, left/right to adjust settings.

can someone please tell me the settings should be set to inverted with sky 3d or not ?
im having massive problems getting 3D on this pj
thanks

Last edited:
It's a 50/50 thing as there is no signal with sbs to sync the image to the correct eye , sometime you need it some time you don't

Best way for a quick check is turn your glasses upside down , but from you have said I think your projector is knackered

It should just work

1 . Turn to sky 3d channel and see a split picture,
2. Press sbs on your projector remote
3. Screen will flash fan and colour wheel speeds up and makes a moo sound and the over all sound level increases
4. Make sure your glasses are turned on
5. Sit back and enjoy if the image looks strange and strains your eyes invert the images ( swaps the eye images over ) or turn glasses upside down for a quick check instead of going through the menu

Hi guys, just bought the HD33 and have HDMI 1.4 & 1.3 cables. Right now my PS3 is in the repair shop so all i have to test / watch with is my laptop with just a mediocre graphics and HDMI out.

Is there anyway i can still watch 3D content off of my current setup? Can i watch the 3D enabled stuff off YouTube? Is there any sites that have 1080p trailers of 3D content? I'd really like to show the wife all this wasn't a waste of money so if any of you know of a really great 3D clip, it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

It's a 50/50 thing as there is no signal with sbs to sync the image to the correct eye , sometime you need it some time you don't

Best way for a quick check is turn your glasses upside down , but from you have said I think your projector is knackered

It should just work

1 . Turn to sky 3d channel and see a split picture,
2. Press sbs on your projector remote
3. Screen will flash fan and colour wheel speeds up and makes a moo sound and the over all sound level increases
4. Make sure your glasses are turned on
5. Sit back and enjoy if the image looks strange and strains your eyes invert the images ( swaps the eye images over ) or turn glasses upside down for a quick check instead of going through the menu

Thanks mate, thats great, i think the problem im having is a hdmi cable one, amazon let me down yesterday by sending me everything but the cables, i got a
Panasonic DMP-BDT220EB, an HDMI splitter, 10 meter power cable but not the bloody hdmi cables i ordered ! how annoying ..
afaik i only have 1.3 cables, is there any way of telling the difference between 1.3 and 1.4 ?
i was sort of under the impression that 1.3 was fine for sky 3D..
i DID get it working for about half an hour last night, we were blown away by the 3D, we saw a showcase with a girl jumping in a swimming pool and sticking her hand out, show jumping, footy etc, then about 25 mins of puss in boots which happened to be on sky, it was an animated thing, but it felt like we were almost there !
really quite staggering, i got the panovision 120" electric screen so it pretty much filled the room..
all i want is it to working all the time..:mad:

sorry i rambled on a bit there :blush:

anyway, due to my setup position, its hard to run a short hdmi cable to the pj to test, i did it breifly yesterday, but had no time for propper 3d checks, il do it again today...sadly either way , i think il have to return the pj due to that " fan failure" warning i got last night :rolleyes:
cheers Rob

There is no such thing as a 1.3 or a 1.4 cable the hardware is rated that way not the cables and your sky box is only hdmi 1.1 if you seeing a 2d picture it's working its that simple , and then press sbs for 3d

Hdmi cables are rated standard or high speed any high speed cable will do 3d my 10m cable is 8 years old

my 10 m cable must be faulty or too long then..or pj

Last edited:
Can you see a 2d picture from your sky box with out any problems ?

If it only mucks up when you press sbs its a faulty projector

Things change when your running a full 3d blu ray as it needs more bandwidth a cable that shows 2d might not do full hd 3d but this does not apply to sky

its the pj thats knakered mate, i plugged a short hdmi straight from the sky box to the pj, i tried 3d, but it was the same, verticle interference type lines when i switched to sbs, the picture then, then came back, then dissapered again.. just as before.. so iv taken the pj down and boxed it up...phone projectorpoint monday to get it replaced.
plus having that fan fault issue.. its a dud..
cheers for all your help
Rob :)

Last edited:
Is there anyway i can watch 3D content off of my HD33 via HDMI running on an average notebook? Can i watch the 3D enabled stuff off YouTube? Is there any sites that have 1080p trailers of 3D content? I'd really like to show the wife all these gadgets weren't a waste of money so if any of you know of a really great 3D clip, it would be greatly appreciated.
:lease:

Thanks!

when i got my faulty hd33 working for a short time, i watched a guy on youtube playing with a dollar bill, a big knife etc, it worked well, i just searched 3d and it came up top of the list

like i said in this thread, the one i have is faulty, going to phone shop about it when they open today, but i can tell you that the 3D is very good indeed..when it works.
cheers rob

I have just moved into a property that has a Da-Lite motorised screen. I am wishing to install a newer projector as the Sony fitted is old hat. I have narrowed it down to the Optoma HD23 and HD33. What is making my decision difficult is the conflicting information I am receiving regarding throw ratios from different AV suppliers/installers.

The screen has a width in the white area (from left to right) of 171 cm. The distance from the screen to the centre of the onmi-mount is 335 cm. My budget is £800 to £1200 and 3D is not a major deciding factor for me.

Any help would be gladly appreciated as I need to make a decision this week as the plasterers are due next week.

Regards

Stephen

I'm back in the game!

Just ordered a new HD33 from projector point, they have them at £998 now, full UK units brand new from Optoma, that is a superb price.

Roll on Thursday!

I'm back in the game!

Just ordered a new HD33 from projector point, they have them at £998 now, full UK units brand new from Optoma, that is a superb price.

Roll on Thursday!

good stuff, :thumbsup:
i just got one from taras at projector point, but is is faulty, ( it happens) but he has arranged pick up and delivery of a new one tomorrow, have to say, he has been good, il let you know how it goes.
Rob

emporer said:
I'm back in the game!

Roll on Thursday!

What about your keystone problem ? Has it been fixed with an update ?

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom