Optoma hd33 / hd300x owners thread - Part 3

I did look at the pch 400 but from what I've read it's a big disappointment, the only real issue I had with the Realtek based players was the 24p bug, aside from that I found them great, hopefully the Mede8er will be good.

hype_male said:
i know saw that today my self. the cheapest ive seen it on ebay new was £799 but for some reason the shop that had it at that 799 price has disppear from ebay.

oh, ive seen it cheaper also on avmasterparts.co.uk. but has any one bought any thing from avmaster part.

Got my 300X from Amazon for £799, sign up for a free trial of their Prime service and you get it free next day delivery.

I also got three pairs of Sainsonic DPL Link glasses for £26 each also from Amazon, they are very good quality and come with their own storage bag and lens cloth.

as you said you would get some of the cheaper glasses as well I thought you meant dlp link as the rf glasses are both expensive , it might be worth calling a projector supplier direct if you want 4 sets and get a deal , that's what I did ;)

Ah, OK. I assumed that since good DLP link glasses are around $100, and cheap eBay ones were 1/3-1/5 of that, then the same would be true for RF glasses. Unfortunately, the cheapest RF glasses I could find were $60 after shipping.

I think I'll try out a pair of the new Optoma RF ones and see how they are before investing in more. The $20 eBay DLP ones I got were pretty disappointing. I'm not sure if it's just me, but I checked out a couple half OU/SBS videos and I was able to see some depth but anything that was supposed to pop out just seemed hard to focus on. I was able to see better pop out on an anaglyph video file with magenta/green glasses. Nowhere near the amazing 3D experience everyone here has been talking about.

Next up will be some 3D Blu Rays. I hope I have a better experience with those.

Get disneys tangled its got really good 3d and its a good film as well

Sbs films are low res once they merge the 2 images together its less then 720p

I only watch 3d blu rays now as I think there is a huge difference in quality

Right now the only 3DBRs I have are a couple IMAX ones (Tahiti Wave and Under the Sea) and the Shrek films. Shrek was converted as an afterthought though so I have doubts on the quality. I'll try to get Tangled eventually though, and I hear Journey 1 is good for the 3D effect as well.

Journey 1. Is gr8

And shrek is not converted

Any animated film is already made in 3d in the computer all they do is re render it with 2 virtual cameras Instead of 1 its totally different to a 2d film converted to 3d

I have just watched nemo and its amazing

Right. I didn't mean converted as in a regular 2D -> 3D live action post-conversion. I guess I should have said re-rendered in 3D instead of converted.

What I meant about the doubts in quality was that I wasn't sure how much time they spent in tweaking the 3D to make it good. I read an interview with the guys that did the 3D in Nemo and they put some thought into how they did it so it would be worth re-seeing in 3D (which they would need since it was being re-released in cinemas).

Shrek could have been just a rush job to cash in on 3D, which is what it seemed like it might be since it was a direct to BR release packed exclusively with Samsung TVs. Animated films that are made with 3D in mind from the beginning can arrange scenes to take advantage of the 3D effect more, so they would generally be better in 3D than ones that were revisited to turn into 3D for some extra sales.

In any case, I skimmed some reviews of the 3D Shrek films and they generally say that the 3D effect is good, so maybe I concerns won't be realized.

Got to say one of the most stunning things I've seen on mine was Titanic, and that's certainly a conversion. Goes to show if done well any conversion can work.

Yeah James Cameron was very meticulous with that conversion to make it actually worthwhile to see it, and he also felt that it was a film that could benefit from being in 3D so it wasn't just a cash grab.

Unfortunately, most 2D to 3D conversions don't have the same care put into them. Case in point, the reviews for the 3D conversion of iRobot haven't been very good.

Yes I was going to mention I Robot, the reviews haven't been kind have they! I have a copy but haven't watched it yet, but I'm not holing my breath..

As Toddy already mentioned, Tangled is a great film with fantastic 3D, and one that I love but no-one seems to mention a lot is Monsters Vs Aliens, I found the 3D in this to be really cool.

Totally forgot about monsters vs aliens it was my first 3d film

Lots of out off the screen pop out x

What a disappointment the himedia player was !!!

Let us know how you get on with the new one , I'm sitting on the side line for a bit to see how the new players work out

I do like the look of the a400 popcorn hour

Been playing with the Med600x3d, I think this could be exactly whats needed, its so much better than the Himedia units, not had a problem with the 24p bug which is great, plays 3d iso's as expected but i've gone down a slightly different route with them, using a prog called makemkv I can create very quickly an mvc in mkv file, keeping just what I want ie main movie+hd audio and any subs I require, its then put out as an mkv which makes streaming so much easier to handle, plus its 100% efficient as there is no encoding of anything, it just repackages the 3d blu into this format, with the latest f/w the Med600x3d plays these perfectly and now even auto switches so no manually selecting the 3d mode, its works stunningly well. Using this method means maximising hdd space without any compromise, the mkv's even have chapters.

Its turning out great so far, all hd audio etc is just fine too. Well worth a look.

Thanks emperor for the update.

I was thinking of getting 1 of them myself or a popcorn a400.
Suppose it worth giving one of these a go cos I find a media player so much better than a PC.

nkhan said:
Thanks emperor for the update.

I was thinking of getting 1 of them myself or a popcorn a400.
Suppose it worth giving one of these a go cos I find a media player so much better than a PC.

I have a 1000 mede8 they are super quick on firmware updates and you know what? It JUST works!

Recommended 100%

TopMeTom said:
I have a 1000 mede8 they are super quick on firmware updates and you know what? It JUST works!

Recommended 100%

Thanks for the info mate, is there a UK seller for these

emporer said:
Been playing with the Med600x3d, I think this could be exactly whats needed, its so much better than the Himedia units, not had a problem with the 24p bug which is great, plays 3d iso's as expected but i've gone down a slightly different route with them, using a prog called makemkv I can create very quickly an mvc in mkv file, keeping just what I want ie main movie+hd audio and any subs I require, its then put out as an mkv which makes streaming so much easier to handle, plus its 100% efficient as there is no encoding of anything, it just repackages the 3d blu into this format, with the latest f/w the Med600x3d plays these perfectly and now even auto switches so no manually selecting the 3d mode, its works stunningly well. Using this method means maximising hdd space without any compromise, the mkv's even have chapters.

Its turning out great so far, all hd audio etc is just fine too. Well worth a look.

Is that mkv file still a 1080p image to each eye ? So the same quality as a blu ray 3d Iso

Yes, it doesn't touch the video or audio at all, it just takes what you request and repackages it into this format, only takes a few mins to do aswell so definately no encoding taking place.

Cool , I'll look in to it

Chaps,

Whilst 3d is fantastic I'm not getting that wow factor with 2d material. I've settled on 'reference' preset at the mo but I'm sure it can do better but don't have a clue where to start. I understand every room is different but is there a set standard I can follow for this pj to get the best pic? Any tips welcome... Cheers

Edit: should mention hd300x.

Last edited:
What kind of power cord does the HD33 have, kettle or the small double? Got to order a longer one and suddenly thought it might be the small one as I had assume it would be a kettle lead.:confused:

Gruntfuttock said:
What kind of power cord does the HD33 have, kettle or the small double? Got to order a longer one and suddenly thought it might be the small one as I had assume it would be a kettle lead.:confused:

It's the kettle lead type bud!

It's the kettle lead type bud!

Thank you, thought it would be. Just ordered 2x v1.4 8m hdmi cables and a splitter, kettle cable next.
Hoping to get it tuesday but won't have it up and running until I've built the ceiling mount and run the cables etc.
Got to get it up and running for Xmas!

Are the projectors in the link below Uk version of the optoma hd33 and hd300x. Reason for asking is because I have looked at the different picture of these two projector on line and they seem to be different shape so would like to know the exact UK version before buying. If the link below are not the Uk version, could someone please direct me to a Uk version site.

Also which retail offers a demo facility for the hd33 and 300x as still unsure which to buy,

Optoma EMEA - HD33: Life-Size Full High Definition 1080p 3D at Home

Optoma EMEA - HD300X: Life-Size 1080p 3D at Home

The latest video from AVForums

Is Home Theater DEAD in 2024?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom