Optoma hd33 / hd300x owners thread - Part 3

I must admit the 300x has reignited my passion for movies. Whilst 2d images have been a decent step up from my previous (little used) projector 3d images have taken it to another level. I can't get over just how much more detail there is in 3d, of course not to mention depth and pop. Although I can understand some people can't adjust to 3d because it makes them physically I'll (eye strain, headache etc) for those that don't suffer from this 3d brings a new level of enjoyment way beyond what some refer to as just a gimmick. Truly impressed!

Got my HD300X the other day, £799 from Amazon and its surpassed expectations so far. Still haven't had chance to get my screen up yet (92 inch) so I'm projecting onto the wall at the moment. Even though the wall is a light beige colour the image is fantastic, clean sharp 2D and the 3D blows me away!

One thing I have noticed though is the projector runs very hot on the outlet exhaust and also on the bottom, is this normal?

Your post has twist my arms to get the hd300 x over the 33 and spend the saved cash of not buying the hd33 on a stand alone 3d blu ray player as I dont think ps3 would give the best picture quality than a stand alone blu ray player.

The ps3 is a really good blu ray player

The only downside is no ir for all in one remotes
As its Bluetooth , I had to buy an adaptor for my harmony

Hi, anyone know where I can get a ceiling mount for a HD 33 (bought it in the states). I live in Dublin and cant seem to find one that fits, I need one that will give me a drop of about 12 inches from the ceiling.

— As an Amazon Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases —
What the hells goin on with all these mad ebay shops wanting £1200-£1450 for a new hd300x. Dont they ever check other shops/sites for prices. lol

What the hells goin on with all these mad ebay shops wanting £1200-£1450 for a new hd300x. Dont they ever check other shops/sites for prices. lol

i know saw that today my self. the cheapest ive seen it on ebay new was £799 but for some reason the shop that had it at that 799 price has disppear from ebay.

oh, ive seen it cheaper also on avmasterparts.co.uk. but has any one bought any thing from avmaster part.

i know saw that today my self. the cheapest ive seen it on ebay new was £799 but for some reason the shop that had it at that 799 price has disppear from ebay.

oh, ive seen it cheaper also on avmasterparts.co.uk. but has any one bought any thing from avmaster part.

Never heard of them before and google search only comes up with there site/shop.

Anyone have any experience with the ZD201 glasses compared to RF ones? I heard a lot of good things about these glasses and that they have better image quality than most RF glasses, so I ordered a pair but it's been over a month and the reseller (Expansys) still hasn't shipped them.

They're supposed to be in stock within a week but at this point I'm so frustrated at not being able to experience the 3D on my HD33 and thinking of just cancelling the order and getting a pair of RF glasses (since I don't know of any DLP glasses that are better than the 201s). I'm not sure if it's worth holding out a couple more weeks for the 201s though.

hype_male said:

There prices do not include VAT they have been around for a long time

smd9 said:
Anyone have any experience with the ZD201 glasses compared to RF ones? I heard a lot of good things about these glasses and that they have better image quality than most RF glasses, so I ordered a pair but it's been over a month and the reseller (Expansys) still hasn't shipped them.

They're supposed to be in stock within a week but at this point I'm so frustrated at not being able to experience the 3D on my HD33 and thinking of just cancelling the order and getting a pair of RF glasses (since I don't know of any DLP glasses that are better than the 201s). I'm not sure if it's worth holding out a couple more weeks for the 201s though.

3d quality is the same on the optoma rf glasses as the 201 I have had all 3 types zd201 and both rf versions the new rf glasses are lovely really light and they look a lot like the zd201 with the plus you can recharge them

If you don't need many sets of glasses go for the new rf glasses they let more light through the lenses and have a really natural tint to the image

Thanks toddy. What's the model on the new ones? Is it the BG-ZF2100GLS?

I had ordered a cheap Chinese pair of DLP glasses which should be arriving any day now, but I didn't pay much for them ($16 including shipping) so I'm not adverse to switching to a pair of good RF glasses if the image quality is there.

I would get 4 glasses max, so maybe a pair of the good ones to be the main set, and a cheaper pair of acceptable quality ones for guests who aren't so picky about image quality.

Last edited:
Before I blow £1000+ on this can someone please confirm this works with a pc, and blurays (ps3) and games in 3D play fine - nothing else needed like 3d vision, 3dplay etc etc just plug pc in with hdmi 1.4 cable and enjoy?

@tomkat
One thing I can add to that is that it should work with PCs, but it depends on the video card. I had a problem with the way the projector handles 3D video files (MKVs and even Blu Ray ISOs) from my HTPC, but my laptop works fine with it. Maybe it's a driver issue, but the 2D SBS/OU image looks normal on both until the projector tries to turn it into 3D

As for Blu Rays and 3D games, they should work too. I'm still waiting on my glasses to confirm, but my PS3 detected it as a 3D display, and Batman AC on Xbox also looked the way you'd expect in 3D.

smd9 said:
Thanks toddy. What's the model on the new ones? Is it the BG-ZF2100GLS?

I had ordered a cheap Chinese pair of DLP glasses which should be arriving any day now, but I didn't pay much for them ($16 including shipping) so I'm not adverse to switching to a pair of good RF glasses if the image quality is there.

I would get 4 glasses max, so maybe a pair of the good ones to be the main set, and a cheaper pair of acceptable quality ones for guests who aren't so picky about image quality.

Yes there the new ones but if you go rf all glasses have to be rf

You can't run rf and dlp link at the same time it's one or the other

( it is possible to get rf and dlp working at the same time but it affects image quality as the dlp link glasses sync by the projector inserting a red flash between frames to sync the glasses the red is filtered out by the dlp link glasses

You will see a red tint to the image if you get the rf running at the same time )

Yes, I know you can't really use both at the same time, that's why I said I would have to switch to RF instead of the cheap DLP ones. Perhaps I could have been more clear on that. Thanks for the info though.

I'm getting one more set of RF's so that my son and I will get the benefit as main users and for when i've got friends/family round I'm gona get 10 dlp link sets, found these on Ebay:

10x 3D DLP link rechargeable 3D glasses for DLP 3D TVs and projectors UK | eBay

Down as UK but as with so many they are prob just Chinese distributor, not expecting them to be great but can't afford to get all RF.

-- As an eBay Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases --
Sorry, I know this has been discussed before, but will my Virgin TV 3d out put go via my non 3d compatible Onkyo 875 amp?

I know the Ps3 won't but had heard Virgin will.

I'm just in the process of buying Hdmi cables and splitters etc so want to make sure I've ordered everything

If virgin uses sbs it will pass through any amp as its only a 1080 signal

smd9 said:
Yes, I know you can't really use both at the same time, that's why I said I would have to switch to RF instead of the cheap DLP ones. Perhaps I could have been more clear on that. Thanks for the info though.

as you said you would get some of the cheaper glasses as well I thought you meant dlp link as the rf glasses are both expensive , it might be worth calling a projector supplier direct if you want 4 sets and get a deal , that's what I did ;)

Ordered my new media player today (Mede8er med600x3d), hopefully should be great with the HD33, although it has the R1186 chipset the new f/w to fix the 24p bug has been beta tested and is almost ready for release, this should make it a great little player for 3d stuff especially.

Looks like this is everything the Himedia stuff should have been.

What a disappointment the himedia player was !!!

Let us know how you get on with the new one , I'm sitting on the side line for a bit to see how the new players work out

I do like the look of the a400 popcorn hour

The latest video from AVForums

Is Home Theater DEAD in 2024?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom