1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Optoma hd33 / hd300x owners thread - Part 3

Discussion in 'Projectors' started by the_dude2, Sep 30, 2012.

1. toddy28

toddy28 Member

Ratings:
    +344
    Totally forgot about monsters vs aliens it was my first 3d film

Lots of out off the screen pop out x
  2. emporer

emporer Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,612
    Been playing with the Med600x3d, I think this could be exactly whats needed, its so much better than the Himedia units, not had a problem with the 24p bug which is great, plays 3d iso's as expected but i've gone down a slightly different route with them, using a prog called makemkv I can create very quickly an mvc in mkv file, keeping just what I want ie main movie+hd audio and any subs I require, its then put out as an mkv which makes streaming so much easier to handle, plus its 100% efficient as there is no encoding of anything, it just repackages the 3d blu into this format, with the latest f/w the Med600x3d plays these perfectly and now even auto switches so no manually selecting the 3d mode, its works stunningly well. Using this method means maximising hdd space without any compromise, the mkv's even have chapters.

Its turning out great so far, all hd audio etc is just fine too. Well worth a look.
  3. nkhan

nkhan Member

Ratings:
    +95
    Thanks emperor for the update.

I was thinking of getting 1 of them myself or a popcorn a400.
    Suppose it worth giving one of these a go cos I find a media player so much better than a PC.
  4. TopMeTom

TopMeTom New Member

Ratings:
    +270
    I have a 1000 mede8 they are super quick on firmware updates and you know what? It JUST works!

Recommended 100%
  5. nkhan

nkhan Member

Ratings:
    +95
    Thanks for the info mate, is there a UK seller for these
  6. TopMeTom

TopMeTom New Member

Ratings:
    +270
    Try Graham in the advertisers forum!

My-htpc
  7. emporer

emporer Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,612
    I got mine from Graham, superb service and completely recommended.
  8. toddy28

toddy28 Member

Ratings:
    +344
    Is that mkv file still a 1080p image to each eye ? So the same quality as a blu ray 3d Iso
  9. emporer

emporer Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,612
    Yes, it doesn't touch the video or audio at all, it just takes what you request and repackages it into this format, only takes a few mins to do aswell so definately no encoding taking place.
  10. toddy28

toddy28 Member

Ratings:
    +344
    Cool , I'll look in to it
  11. MI55ION

MI55ION Active Member

Ratings:
    +571
    Chaps,

Whilst 3d is fantastic I'm not getting that wow factor with 2d material. I've settled on 'reference' preset at the mo but I'm sure it can do better but don't have a clue where to start. I understand every room is different but is there a set standard I can follow for this pj to get the best pic? Any tips welcome... Cheers

Edit: should mention hd300x.
    Last edited: Dec 9, 2012
  12. Gruntfuttock

Gruntfuttock Member

Ratings:
    +12
    What kind of power cord does the HD33 have, kettle or the small double? Got to order a longer one and suddenly thought it might be the small one as I had assume it would be a kettle lead.:confused:
  13. Denzz

Denzz Member

Ratings:
    +14
    It's the kettle lead type bud!
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  14. Gruntfuttock

Gruntfuttock Member

Ratings:
    +12
    Thank you, thought it would be. Just ordered 2x v1.4 8m hdmi cables and a splitter, kettle cable next.
    Hoping to get it tuesday but won't have it up and running until I've built the ceiling mount and run the cables etc.
    Got to get it up and running for Xmas!
  15. hype_male

hype_male Member

Ratings:
    +2
    Are the projectors in the link below Uk version of the optoma hd33 and hd300x. Reason for asking is because I have looked at the different picture of these two projector on line and they seem to be different shape so would like to know the exact UK version before buying. If the link below are not the Uk version, could someone please direct me to a Uk version site.

Also which retail offers a demo facility for the hd33 and 300x as still unsure which to buy,

Optoma EMEA - HD33: Life-Size Full High Definition 1080p 3D at Home

Optoma EMEA - HD300X: Life-Size 1080p 3D at Home
  16. toddy28

toddy28 Member

Ratings:
    +344
    Us uk euro there all the same shape lol

Best way to tell if its a uk hd33 is that it comes with 3d glasses and the hd300 does not

Also there is no us hd300

There base model is the hd33 ( our hd300 )
    And the hd3300 is our hd33

I guess they changed the numbers so our American friends didn't get confused by the higher number being the base version

But for all accounts both models are the same
  17. smd9

smd9 Member

Ratings:
    +1
    I'm not sure I understand how half SBS can be less than 720p.

720p = 1280x720 = 921,600 pixels
    Half SBS = 1920/2 * 1080 = 1,036,800 pixels

So half SBS would have more pixels than 720p.

In any case, regarding Shrek, I popped in the Blu Ray and turned on the glasses, and to my disappointment the 3D experience was also pretty bad. The distinction between the different "layers" for the foreground and background objects wasn't very good, and the characters had a weird kind of blurry border around them. I was thinking that my glasses were junk and that I'd have to try another pair to get the "proper" 3D experience. Then I thought of something. There was a left/right button on the glasses that would switch the order of the shutters, so just out of curiosity I tried that and BAM! The 3D was fixed and it looked MUCH better than before. Boy did I feel silly after that.

After watching the 3D on the opening menu of Shrek I can say that the 3D on it is great! Now I need to try some more BRs. I tried a few half and full SBS mkv files and the experience wasn't quite as good as the Shrek Blu Ray. I'm not sure if that's a result of the player, file, or both. I'll keep experimenting and see what happens.
    Last edited: Dec 10, 2012
  18. toddy28

toddy28 Member

Ratings:
    +344
    Your right I should of said around 720p

It does look soft on a large screen
  19. deanmm

deanmm Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I have a rather unusual problem with my optoma 300x and wondered if anyone else had a similar experience and could help. I have my Xbox 360 plugged into the projector via an onkyo amp into hdmi 2 (hdmi1 is for blu ray). Recently, when I switch off the Xbox the image on the pj flickers between black and red and the projector won't switch off by remote or on the pj. I have to unplug it to stop the problem (not good as the cooling fan goes off!). Has anyone else encountered this and offer any advice? Thanks..
  20. emporer

emporer Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,612
    I would contact Optoma and get it looked at, turning it off by cutting the power will kill the lamp very quickly.
  21. Gruntfuttock

Gruntfuttock Member

Ratings:
    +12
    Today's the day, going to Richers to get it finally, have to say I'm really looking forward to it :clap:

Gona set it up on the floor first then transfer measurements for the ceiling mount, which then needs buiding :(
  22. Sharkey1

Sharkey1 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    How are you building one?
  23. Gruntfuttock

Gruntfuttock Member

Ratings:
    +12
    I'm going to make it out of MDF coz it needs to fit in with my flat, old proj was on back wall but this needs to be 15' from the screen so Im having put it on the ceiling. I will stick out like a Bulldogs B*$$*% so I'm going to make a sort of box but with open sides.

I'll post pics as I do it.

Quick question for owners, does the remote work on line of sight?
  24. Sharkey1

Sharkey1 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    You know for a ceiling mount it has to be inverted!
  25. Gruntfuttock

Gruntfuttock Member

Ratings:
    +12
    Yes, thank you :)

I'm plugging everything in to check it works brfore I run the cables but the 3d for the ps3 looks crap, think the glasses are wrong way round, how do I swap them?
  26. toddy28

toddy28 Member

Ratings:
    +344
    It should always be in sync with the ps3 its only sbs stuff that can change the eyes over

Are you using rf or dlp link

And what are you watching on your ps3
  27. Gruntfuttock

Gruntfuttock Member

Ratings:
    +12
    Sorry I was talking crap :( Didn't realize I had to go into HDMI settings on the PS3 first, all sorted now and blown away, I know I've just come from a 10 year old HD ready sharp, but it's so crisp/clear and My sons COD game online in 3D is amazing!

Money well spent, thanks for all the advice which in turn steered me to it.

I've got the a standard HDMI splitter for Virgin, one to the amp, one to proj which works fine in 2D/3D. The 1.4v splitter for the PS3 works too but when the PS3 outputs 3D I loose sound? Is there an easy solution to this?
    I really want HD sound not digital when I'm watching 3D blu-rays, (Virgin not a problem as only digital) do I need to upgrade the amp to 3D compatible to get the sound? or a more expensive splitter?
  28. toddy28

toddy28 Member

Ratings:
    +344
    You will always lose sound with a hdmi splitter if you think about it your amp is not 3d compatible so when you split the signal from the ps3 using 3d the amp is still receiving a 3d video signal that it can't take so the audio will not work so optical is your only option unless you upgrade your amp or get a blu ray player with 2 hdmi outputs so you can select video for one output and sound for the other

I would upgrade your amp if funds allow to one with 2 hdmi outputs one for the TV an one for the projector I did this and stopped using splitters
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
    Last edited: Dec 15, 2012
  29. Gruntfuttock

Gruntfuttock Member

Ratings:
    +12
    Thought you'd say that :( Won't be for a while as won't have paid for the HD33 until end of March.

Did read that it sends a 5.1 digital signal so should I be picking that up or will I only get that from an optical lead?
  30. toddy28

toddy28 Member

Ratings:
    +344
    From the ps3 optical you will get Dolby digital or dts 5.1 surround it won't be hd sound but it will be from the core track so it will sound good