Optoma hd33 / hd300x owners thread - Part 3

I've got both sets running side by side and the new glasses have better colours and let more light through and there lighter , both sets are comfy to ware and perform about the same

I like the larger lenses on the old set and I would say if your after new glasses go for the new ones if you already have the old rf glasses its not worth the cost outlay to upgrade

When it comes to watching films I do go for the new set over the old and give the kids the others :)

Thanks mate :)

Because I only use my HD33 for 3D I find it hard to justify big spending as I only watch maybe 2 movies a month on it.

I have a pair of each, bought an older pair from toddy, to be honest there isn't much in it but I do prefer the newer ones as I think they let in just a bit more light and contrast is better.

I had to buy a pair of the newer ones , can't help myself, its a sickness , upgradeitus !!!!!

Last edited:
Don't spose anyone has any ideas on this. Ordered one a week and a bit ago and 2d was good 3d was like watching 3-5fps then it locked. I couldn't get the menu or anything up... couldn't change sources but when I pressed off twice it went through its shutdown routine. But then on restart no splash screen no nothing fan comes on bulb comes on and all seems ok on the LED front but nothing on screen. Called RS and they sent me a new one... Watched Megamind on BR with 0 problems Sky 3d SBS was dropping out every 10mins or so... well it just locked and wouldn't change sources etc... powered off and guess what? Nothing on screen, all LED says fine, bulb on, fan on but nothing displayed, no menu nothing.

At my wits end 2 exact same problems, coincidence, something I'm doing, something in my setup or just flakey hardware on Optomas part?

Is there some factory reset via remote key presses to try?

Thanks in advance.

Hello. I get random red flickers on 3D Blu-ray and I'm wondering if anyone has seen the same problem?

I'm using a ps3 as blu-ray source and have connected the HD33 directly via a quality 1.4 cable (10m Cablesson Ivuna) but still see this annoying flickering. SBS 3D from Sky or avi files is fine, so is blu-ray 2D. It is just blu-ray 3D. I don't know if it is the ps3 or the projector, but the HD33 is brand new and the ps3 has the latest firmware.

At the moment we only have the one 3D blu-ray disc (Hugo) but if it was a damaged disc, surely the red flashes would not be random.

Any help greatly appreciated.

From what you say it's a cable issue not having the bandwidth / to long a distance you might need a booster

As its ok with all other sources then 3d blu ray

Try a shorter cable if possible by moving your ps3 next to your projector and plug your ps3 in direct and see if that fixes it

Philius said:
Don't spose anyone has any ideas on this. Ordered one a week and a bit ago and 2d was good 3d was like watching 3-5fps then it locked. I couldn't get the menu or anything up... couldn't change sources but when I pressed off twice it went through its shutdown routine. But then on restart no splash screen no nothing fan comes on bulb comes on and all seems ok on the LED front but nothing on screen. Called RS and they sent me a new one... Watched Megamind on BR with 0 problems Sky 3d SBS was dropping out every 10mins or so... well it just locked and wouldn't change sources etc... powered off and guess what? Nothing on screen, all LED says fine, bulb on, fan on but nothing displayed, no menu nothing.

At my wits end 2 exact same problems, coincidence, something I'm doing, something in my setup or just flakey hardware on Optomas part?

Is there some factory reset via remote key presses to try?

Thanks in advance.

Call optoma service , very strange you had 2 failures the same , did the projector change sound when you went in to 3d mode

Quality control is lacking on the latest batch of hd33's as a few have been faulty

toddy28 said:
Call optoma service , very strange you had 2 failures the same , did the projector change sound when you went in to 3d mode

Quality control is lacking on the latest batch of hd33's as a few have been faulty

Tell me about it!

Just plucked up the courage to order the 300x only because i don't foresee buying 10 pairs of RF glasses and its from Amazon. Also ordered the z201 and cheaper third party glasses so I can soon do a direct AB comparison.

Fingers crossed.

MI55ION said:
Tell me about it!

Just plucked up the courage to order the 300x only because i don't foresee buying 10 pairs of RF glasses and its from Amazon. Also ordered the z201 and cheaper third party glasses so I can soon do a direct AB comparison.

Fingers crossed.

It does seem like a bad batch as I think 3 people have had duds but out of how many they sell its probably not that bad , and for over a year there weren't any major problems

Order IMAX under the sea from eBay for some good 3d pop to start you off

3d now rf glasses are the only ones there identical to the new optoma rf glasses there made by the same 3rd party as optoma don't make there own rf glasses

Don't think there's much in the price

Nope nothing changed not even fan speed/noise. Thinking I may get another brand tbh... strange cos it's my 3rd optoma without issues and they're ****ing up their good rep with me with shoddy components. :(

It should speed up and make a moo sound as it switches in to 3d mode , another member had the same fault , he's happy now

On my latest HD33 it doesn't make the moo sound when switching to 3d mode, the units I had earlier in the year did but this one just seems to spin the fan up a little bit more, its much less intrusive than previous. Perhaps down to the new f/w? maybe even a hardware change of some sort?

Hello, I have an HD33 (which is awesome) and a Macbook Pro with mini-display port HDMI out. For the life of me I can't figure out how to make these two machines play 3D content properly. I know Apple is not 3D friendly but unless they are actively making sure it doesn't work, you would think it is possible.

Has anyone made this combination work for 3D? I've searched around for clues but nothing has thus far helped. I am using a 1.4a HDMI cable. I'm trying to play 3D SBS mp4 files but no software has worked yet... VLC, Bino, etc.

When using the Macbook, the HD33 always has the 3D options greyed out meaning afaik it doesn't think it is receiving a 3D signal. FYI, my 3D camera works fine with the HD33 so it seems to be a handshaking issue or Mac problem.

If this Macbook setup is problematic, I will be forced to buy a blu ray player and hook a usb drive to it. Buying a 3D windows laptop would work, but the blu ray player is cheaper. In terms of blu ray, thinking of the Panasonic DMP-BDT220 player. Has anyone successfully played 3D files from a blu ray player's USB drive on the HD33?

Thanks,
Charles

You should just be able to press the sbs button on the remote and it will play , sbs files are not a 3d file as such its just a normal 1080p 2d video file then the projector does the work converting it in to 3d

I would recommend getting a wdtv live wifi version for your media playback it plays everything (apart from full 3d blu ray Iso files)

There around £65 from amazon, I have one and it plays back sbs files and it also has a really good interface it automatically scans your files and adds the DVD covers and film info

Hello, I have an HD33 (which is awesome) and a Macbook Pro with mini-display port HDMI out. For the life of me I can't figure out how to make these two machines play 3D content properly. I know Apple is not 3D friendly but unless they are actively making sure it doesn't work, you would think it is possible.

Has anyone made this combination work for 3D? I've searched around for clues but nothing has thus far helped. I am using a 1.4a HDMI cable. I'm trying to play 3D SBS mp4 files but no software has worked yet... VLC, Bino, etc.

When using the Macbook, the HD33 always has the 3D options greyed out meaning afaik it doesn't think it is receiving a 3D signal. FYI, my 3D camera works fine with the HD33 so it seems to be a handshaking issue or Mac problem.

If this Macbook setup is problematic, I will be forced to buy a blu ray player and hook a usb drive to it. Buying a 3D windows laptop would work, but the blu ray player is cheaper. In terms of blu ray, thinking of the Panasonic DMP-BDT220 player. Has anyone successfully played 3D files from a blu ray player's USB drive on the HD33?

Thanks,
Charles

Charles

I'm using a 2010 MBP along side my HD33 with no problems at all. How old is your MBP? It may be down to age as I have an older Mac Mini which I've upgraded the processor and memory so it plays HD without a hitch, however this has the same problem you are having with the blacked out option on the HD33, think it may be a graphics card issue.

If you have a newer MBP it may well be your mini display port to HDMI adaptor.

On a side note , you can only get stereo sound through hdmi on sky

You have to connect an optical cable to get 5.1 Dolby digital sound

Neet splitter on amazon around £20 will do the job , as for amp settings just go through the menu and have a play I'm sure you will find it

And you do know that you won't be able to play 3d games on your ps3 or watch blu rays in 3d as your amp won't passthrough the signal

On the onkyo amps 3d 1.4 hdmi came in on the 8 series so for example the 608 can do 3d

Toddy, you mention the Neet splitter. Do you think this will do the same job?

3 Port HDMI Switch Switcher Splitter Selector 3D 1080P | eBay

-- As an eBay Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases --
What do you want to do exactly as that's a 3 inputs to one out put it will not split a signal

What do you want to do exactly as that's a 3 inputs to one out put it will not split a signal

Output to my HD33 with a WHD100. Want to plug in my MBP, blu-ray and pvr. Wasn't sure about the 3D side as even though it says it supports 3D it only states HDMI 1.3.

Cheers

jgar said:
Output to my HD33 with a WHD100. Want to plug in my MBP, blu-ray and pvr. Wasn't sure about the 3D side as even though it says it supports 3D it only states HDMI 1.3.

Cheers

The wireless hdmi sender should be 1.4 hdmi so 3d won't be an issue and there's no reason why you can't connect all 3 sources to the box with that 3:1 switch

TLMONKEY said:
Uneven screen focus,
Any one had it and if so, anyway to fix it?

Is your projector totally squared up to your screen ?

The latest video from AVForums

Is Home Theater DEAD in 2024?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom