Optoma hd33 / hd300x owners thread - Part 3

the_dude2

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Last edited by a moderator:
actually, if i may add to my above post, should i get one in the first place? Let me explain....

option 1 - HD33/300x, screen size 69" diagonal (looking at getting a white screen with gain of 1.0, light coloured walls, white ceiling), throw distance = 2.3m, viewing distance 2.3m + either 42 pana plasma (i want lowish wattage usage, and be able to watch F1 and footie on it) or 42 or 47" pana ET5B LED, not sure yet!!)

Option 2 - 55" Panasonic 55ST50 - as this will still be quite big, but just about acceptable for everyday viewing and not the worst power consumption, compared to a GT or VT50.

So basically im looking to combine convenience and spectacle with a bit of green credentials. Option 1 is my ideal but would that screen size at that distance be too much? What do you think?

Thanks guys.

69" :eek:
why so small i would go for a tv at that size

to be honest i would go with a large tv as you wont gain from a projector at that size
its a hassle setting up a projector and screen go for a nice large tv

also did you work out the throw from the front of the projector lens and not the back of the room as you have to take in account of the projector body and from 2.3m (front of lens to screen) i work out you will get a 64" image

i love projectors but if i couldent get a large enouth image i would have a tv , have you thought about the gt750 its only 720p but its 3d and short throw so you could get an 100" image

Last edited:
69" is the biggest i can fit on the wall as its a small room. Im mad, it would go in my bedroom as needs must at the moment, for having it my bedroom that is. I was looking at 50" tv's when my girlfriend said projectors give a much bigger screen size for the price so after some investigation they are the 2 options i came up with.

Im just thinking a tv around 55-60" might look silly/be too much for everyday viewing (at that viewing distance), whereas i would get a retractable ceiling mount screen so it would look "normal" most of the time and a 42" tv would be fine for everyday viewing.

I just like the idea of a very large screen for the room size, almost stupidly large probably, it is a small room, about 3m x 3m. Do you think 69" at 2.3m viewing distance is too much, or just too much faff in the first place and just go for a 55" tv.

Ive been thinking too much about it the last week or so, looking at lots of tv threads, and finishing this one today. My head is in a bit of a muddle :)

cross posts :)

yes i measured the distance from the front of where the projector would sit.

As you can see from my reply above 100" would be too big for the wall.

You are right, it would be much easier to go for a big tv, but as i said above, would it be too much for everyday viewing? Could i stand watching the big bang theory on a 55" all the time. actually, probably! lol

i dont think it would be 2 much for every day , a projector takes over a lot of your room and you have to sort out sound aswell ,

the 55 samsung tvs are lovely my mate has one of the new ones and i have a old 46 c8000 and it has an amazing picture

Last edited:
Thanks, thats kinda what i have been thinking but i had to investigate the possibility of a pj. (Although sound is well covered :) )

One day :) But until then a Panasonic or Samsung plasma it is. Thanks Toddy.

Anyone know where I can get a demo of the HD33 in the Northampton area? Tried MK Technosound but they don't have them", AVLand in Wellingborough don't have them, and it seems Sevenoaks in Bedford has closed. So I'm at a loss to where to try....really want to see one working before I take the plunge...

Anyone know where I can get a demo of the HD33 in the Northampton area? Tried MK Technosound but they don't have them", AVLand in Wellingborough don't have them, and it seems Sevenoaks in Bedford has closed. So I'm at a loss to where to try....really want to see one working before I take the plunge...

I'm not too far from you in Coventry, you're welcome to have a look at mine if you wish.

Wayne W said:
I'm not too far from you in Coventry, you're welcome to have a look at mine if you wish.

Thanks Wayne, I might take you up on that offer if that's ok - I'll PM you :)

I need some expert advise on the problem I'm having with my HD33 and 3D. I've had the projector for a year, and I don't think its been working right since day one. I've gotten decent 3D, but no where near the immersion many people in this thread have commented on. This lead me to believe I have an issue and would like some help.

First off, I have a Samsung HTD6500W Smart Hub device connected to my PC and projector. This allows me to stream HD content from my computer to the projector. I get great 2D content with no lag in audio/video. The 1.4a cables (3D rated) are about 35' in length. One goes from the PC to the smart hub, and the other from the smart hub to projector. The distance from the projector to the hub is 12' on a 100" screen. (Cable length is due to going around the living room, not through it.) Projector is ceiling mounted and runs at 1080p native with content on my PC.

When using 3D I get subtle ghosting on all content. Some is more pronounced, but most is just minimally noticeable. I don't really see 3D as jumping out of the screen.
I found the RF manual thanks to a post in section 2 of this thread.
http://www.optoma.co.uk/uploads/manuals/3D-RF Glasses-M-en-GB.pdf
My attack plan is the following:
1) Reverse the projector polarity
2) Delay tuning
3) Adjust duty cycle

I'm hoping this the correct course of action. Any comments are greatly appreciated.

What format are you watching your 3d ( sbs or blu ray ) and what titles as most 3d is depth only some filmed have really good pop , and have you played with your emitter as that can adjust the settings and much up your 3d

I've only attempted SBS and Top/Bottom. Haunted Castle looked great the first time I played it, but after six months I tried it again and there was no "pop". This is around the time I got a new house and moved to the 35' cables. I have a few IMAX SBS titles, nothing I would consider jaw dropping. Hubble has some ghosting, almost unwatchable when there is too much on the screen. Tron 3D was nice, but nothing really jumped out at me. Hope these changes I attempt tonight make a difference.

I managed to get rid of the ghosting by adjusting the duty cycle of the emitter. That was a huge relief! I can now watch 3D, but the drawback is that its not pronounced like it was before. I put on the best 3D movie I have, Haunted Castle, and was disappointed. Its 3D, just barely noticeable.

Any ideas on what to change now? I reversed polarity, and messed with the delay tuning. No noticeable difference. :(

Haven't seen haunted castle but tron has no pop out and sbs is poor compared to full 1080p bluray films I would suggest tangled or journey 2 to see how good the 3d is and IMAX under the sea has amazing pop out ( potato cod )

Also when watching sbs the projector doesn't know what frame to show what eye it's a 50/50 chance it syncs up right , so you have to invert the image sometimes , I had to do it on my hd67 and 3dxl all the time but I stopped watching sbs when I got my hd33 as the image was 2 soft and didn't have as much pop , try turning of pure motion as well I don't use it as its not needed

Has anyone got any 1 of these projectors connected to a PC to watch 3D?

nkhan said:
Has anyone got any 1 of these projectors connected to a PC to watch 3D?

If you are local enough to us we have UVem 3D unit where you can view 3D content!

Regards, Shane.

ShanePJ said:
If you are local enough to us we have UVem 3D unit where you can view 3D content!

Regards, Shane.

Shane, thanks for the offer.
Not looking to view 3D content as I have already a HD33.
I am looking to connect up a PC to view 3D

I've been running 2d blu-rays on my Optoma HD33 via the 3D conversion feature of my Panasonic BDT220. It's far from perfect 3D but I see it as an enjoyable supplemental viewing option. Just recently though, I've notice a minor (almost imperceptable) intermittent 'stutter' taking place with the image, Anyone else had similar problems or know of this is a setting issue?

I have a question regarding the positioning of the HD33 as I read it doesn't have vertical lens shift:

I have a shelf behind my sofa that is 30" down from the ceiling and my screen opposite is 84" diagonal and the screen area starts about 24" from the ceiling.

Using the above measurements can someone tell me if the projector would work correctly on the shelf behind me?

Not with out using keystone , the screen needs to be lower then the projector lens mine is about 12 inches below my lens

Put hd33 throw calculator in to google and you will find out all the info you need

Going to watch Prometheus 3d tonight hopefully it will be good watched the new mel Gibson film how I spend my vacation which was quite good worth a watch!

Watched Avengers 3D on my Samsung player connected to the HD33 with RF glasses. Looked alright, not amazing by any means. Went to my friends house that has the exact same configuration with DLP glasses and it looked amazing. Projector is the same distance from the screen. He has 30' cables, where I have 34'. All are 3D certified. Not sure what do do at this point. The 3D is barely noticeable unless you are right in front of the screen. Sometimes it doesn't focus correctly, and occasional ghosting. I've adjusted the settings per my original post above. Looking for any suggestions to resolve this. Thanks.

The latest video from AVForums

Is Home Theater DEAD in 2024?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom