Optoma HD20/200X reviews settings and owners thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
mmmm yeah i would have to agree the blacks are poor i am finding my xbox 360 games looking washed out, but do find blu rays on the ps3 to be better ,but overall it is loads more washed out than my 52" samsung lcd tv
but i guess i am being a bit picky :)

where did you get the filter from ? and how much better did it make the blacks ?
and does it make the rest of the picture suffer if you use a filter

mmmm yeah i would have to agree the blacks are poor i am finding my xbox 360 games looking washed out, but do find blu rays on the ps3 to be better ,but overall it is loads more washed out than my 52" samsung lcd tv

where did you get the filter from ? and how much better did it make the blacks ?

Have you calibrated? Having the brightness/contrast too high will wash the picture out. Not every device uses the same black levels. My DVD player uses different settings to my BD player.

Filters will make white duller.

Got mine from here
Circular / Threaded Filters - Lens Filters - Warehouse Express

When I first saw Kbfern's HD20 I was disapointed with the blacks and probably going to keep the JVC, but then I added the filter and I would say it got me half way between the HD20 no filter and the JVC HD350. It works in my setup as I'm projecting on full zoom from only 7.5' away so the brightness needs to be tamed somewhat. Keith has tried the filter in his setup and prefers no filter, so it just depends on individual setups I think.

Have you calibrated? Having the brightness/contrast too high will wash the picture out. Not every device uses the same black levels. My DVD player uses different settings to my BD player.

Filters will make white duller.

Have a look at Custards settings on the first page.

well to be honest guys it does seem to be worse on the xbox360 than on the ps3 or v+ box

but as it all goes thru the onkyo 905 amp i cant really change the settings for each av item.
i will relook at peoples settings and maybe post what i have set on the projector.
what settings do people use on there xbox 360s ?
as there are a few settings in the video settings menu on the xbox ? which is best ?

Each of the modes such as cinema, bright, user etc have their own settings which are remembered if changed. I have different settings for cinema and for user modes and switch to which player I have on.

Things like gamma curve/offset can make black better.

Last edited:
well to be honest guys it does seem to be worse on the xbox360 than on the ps3 or v+ box

but as it all goes thru the onkyo 905 amp i cant really change the settings for each av item.
i will relook at peoples settings and maybe post what i have set on the projector.
what settings do people use on there xbox 360s ?
as there are a few settings in the video settings menu on the xbox ? which is best ?

i dont own an xbox 360 but may be be able to borrow one off a friend to find/provide some settings.
i think his has component output not hdmi.

how are you connecting up?
xbox-hdmi-amp-hdmi-hd20
OR
xbox-component-amp-component-hd20
OR
xbox-component-amp-hdmi-hd20 (i dont even know if that scenario is possible?...)

hi custard

i have the xbox via hdmi to amp then hdmi to hd20

i have to say that i have tried your settings that you posted a while back.

mode: user
contrast: 47
brightness: 38
color: 51
tint: 46
sharpness: 8
noise reduction: 0
gamma: standard
curve type: 1
offset: -2
color temp: warm
red gain: 5
green gain: 0
blue gain: -5
red bias: -1
green bias: 0
blue bias: 0
lamp bright mode: off

and i have found these to be very very good for all my kit

V+ box
PS3
XBOX 360

i think i had a few of the levels pumped up way to much :-(
i had it set to film mode ,but i am going to do some more testing with your settings ,but i think i am now pretty happy so thank you for the settings custard and thanks to nwgarratt for all your input.

if you do get a xbox and can do some testing at some point that would be great but otherwise dont worry and thank you again guys

hi custard

i have the xbox via hdmi to amp then hdmi to hd20

i have to say that i have tried your settings that you posted a while back.
and i have found these to be very very good for all my kit

V+ box
PS3
XBOX 360

i think i had a few of the levels pumped up way to much :-(
i had it set to film mode ,but i am going to do some more testing with your settings ,but i think i am now pretty happy so thank you for the settings custard and thanks to nwgarratt for all your input.

good man!:)
make sure RGB is set to FULL on the PS3 as there is a marked unwanted difference when using RGB LIMITED for the above settings.

if you do get a xbox and can do some testing at some point that would be great but otherwise dont worry and thank you again guys

i dont think my testing of the xbox 360 will be any help to you as it it will be using component which will have diffferent settings compared to HDMI.
i'll give it a go anyway.

Hi guys, new here.
Got my HD20 on Sunday replacing my old Hitachi CP-S220 LCD projector which finally gave up after over 5 years of use!

I have noticed the lines on my HD20, but not the same way the rest of you have. I have my Xbox360 hooked up thru VGA (while I wait for my long HDMI to turn up) running at 1920x1080 and maximum negative keystone, and no lines.
However, if I try and use any level of edge overscan, I will get quite a few lines which get closer together the higher the level of edge overscan I use.

Luckily I don't use edge overscan, but it's a surefire way for me to get the lines...

The new Toy Story 3 trailer looks great at 1080p. It looks like a good film too.

toystory1.jpg

toystory2.jpg

toystory3.jpg

Here are my settings after 90 hours.

mode: user hdmi 1/cinema hdmi 2
contrast: 47 hdmi 1/53 hdmi 2
brightness: 38 hdmi 1/26 hdmi 2
color: 49
tint: 52
sharpness: 8
noise reduction: 0
gamma: film
curve type: -1
offset: -3
color temp: cold
red gain: 0
green gain: 0
blue gain: -2
red bias: 1
green bias: -1
blue bias: 2

Not much difference to what I had it before. I have fiddled with RGB Gain (Brightness) and Bias (Contrast). I don't have tools or software to set them so I use the repair ward (chapter 18) in Wall-E. I like the ship to look a good white. Adjusting the blue does that from a slightly yellowish white. It seems to work but I keep fiddling with it. It is easier to not change anything from 0.

Last edited:
Can anyone recommend a ceiling mount for the HD20? I'm after one with adjustable height.

Cheers :smashin:

Last edited:
I ave my HD20 for 24 hour only and ad a small run with it last night and so far i
am very please.
Do anyone ave good setting for this baby and a good website for screen.
I was going to go for 92 inch diagonal but after last night i think i go for
106 inch it seem to get better with larger screen.
:smashin:

I've tinkered a bit more and found that changing gamma to curve -1/offset 3 brings out far more details in the blacks, though unless it's my imagination the image feels a touch less sharp. I used the calibration options on my Monsters Inc Blu-Ray to find the right brightness and contrast, so maybe that's also a factor.

Anyway I'm glad to find that the HD20 handles blacks much better than I previously thought.

Oh and my firmware is 02 (august 12 09). I've adjusted keystone to -2 (HDMI 24fps) and not noticed anything unusual.

I haven't noticed any reduction in sharpness with that gamma cuve setting. Apparantly, is makes the gamma 2.2 and that is something to aim for. I find it is better to have a higher contrast and a lower brightness for blacks.

Last edited:
Originally posted by daddyorchips
Can anyone recommend a ceiling mount for the HD20? I'm after one with adjustable height.

Cheers

I tried in vain to find a reasonably priced variable height mount. In the end I got a unit with 2 different fixed drops and modified my screen to fit one of the drops. However, I think this is a bit of a weak point on the projector. The screw mounting points are very small and you can feel the whole casing flex when you use them. I bought this:

BM3S Plasma LCD bracket/mount Silver: Amazon.co.uk: Electronics & Photo

But either I didn't understand the installation instructions or it is not particularly suitable as, when I attached the 3 curved arms and tried to support the pj from the other end of these I felt the whole casing flex alarmingly. Sorry not easy to explain. In the end I cut a piece of ply wood to attach the screws to the PJ and fitted the mounting without the arms. It works but is not rigid enough so I intend to revisit the mounting issue soon. Hope someone has had a better experience.

Andy

— As an Amazon Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases —
Considering an HD200x. I currently have a Panasonic AE900 that I have used happily for the last 3 years, would there be MUCH difference between this and the HD200x?

PS Anyone in Belfast area got one of these :)

A few more pics.

Easy Rider. A very grainy film but still the best I have seen it.

easy1.jpg

easy2.jpg

easy3.jpg

Coraline. This is the only one that came out.

coraline.jpg

Can anyone tell me why my projection is curved along the bottom of the screen, I have a full screen 106' projection, but i can see a distinctive curve going up along the bottom of my screen in an arc from one edge to the other about an inch high in the middle of the bottom edge of the screen,i can't seem to get rid of it, the top & sides look correct & i have the projector ceiling mounted if the is of any help.

Can anyone tell me why my projection is curved along the bottom of the screen, I have a full screen 106' projection, but i can see a distinctive curve going up along the bottom of my screen in an arc from one edge to the other about an inch high in the middle of the bottom edge of the screen,i can't seem to get rid of it, the top & sides look correct & i have the projector ceiling mounted if the is of any help.

Sounds like the PJ is not centre to the screen. The lens has to be in the middle. If it is too far left or right then the bottom will go upwards. I had this problem until the PJ was moved sideways.

if i am reading correctly you are saying that the bottom corners are equal in height with the bottom middle higher?

If that is the case then either the screen is not flat or the lens of the pj is not producing a linearly uniform image.
more likely that the screen is warped at the bottom.

if the corners are unequal in height then the first point to check would be projector placement.

Sounds like the PJ is not centre to the screen. The lens has to be in the middle. If it is too far left or right then the bottom will go upwards. I had this problem until the PJ was moved sideways.

This could be it, i put the mount up in the center of the screen, not realising the lens is offset to the right of the projector(when ceiling mounted). Why would this cause this distortion? I't no big deal as i watch a lot of blu-rays & on a 16/9 screen & the image has bars at the top & bottom anyway , but it does annoy me on the ps3's menu screen....

Status
Not open for further replies.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom