Home Entertainment & Technology Resource

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Optoma GT750 owners thread

Discussion in 'Projectors' started by bazonix, Sep 27, 2011.

1. tafida01

tafida01 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    my first projector still excited!! projecting from about 2m and getting about 200 inches on a cream colour wall and still with the wow factor. still can lay my hands on the Optoma 3D-RF Glasses with emmiter seem to be out of stock everywhere.
    please those any one know how to permanently off the internal speakers without having to do it every time i on it.
    also is the out of the box setting on economy or i have to change the brightness to sd.
    the next question is with ps3 connection pls does ps3 upscale movies to 3d yet with their firmware upgrades
    i know am anoying but please am a novice, couldnt get my dell xps 17 with 3d ready 3Gb nvidia graphics card to work with the projector
  2. wickfut

wickfut Member

Ratings:
    +25
    I changed the audio setting to "audio inputs" so it expects the audio to come from the phono (RCA) sockets on the rear of the unit instead of the HDMI. Lower the volume to 1 so you don't have the on screen mute logo.

PS3 plays 2d on 2d movies and 3d on 3d movies. It doesn't convert 2d to 3d.
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
    Last edited: Jan 14, 2012
  3. bazonix

bazonix Active Member

Ratings:
    +256
    in setup, audio settings.. internal speaker 'on' and mute 'off' volume '0' will rid that mute logo.. which is a real eye sore!

i just demoed the final few scenes from district 9 and it was superb.. the new amp is next level. for me, the video is more than acceptable... i also demoed another 1080p 3d demo disc to friends and they all agreed it was great! in fact, makes me laugh, as i could have any pj (i reckon) and my mates would also accept the picture quality! size matters lol!!!!! ;)

one other thing.. in fast scenes, there seems to be a kind of 'blurry shake'.. cant quite describe it but its not all the time.. definitely not comfortable viewing.. strange?!
  4. djwcaw

djwcaw Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I've noticed this also with my new gt750 using the Optoma RF glasses. On fast action scenes (animation like Kung Fu Panda 2) there seems to be a 'jumpiness' to the image. Like we're missing frames. Possible the lenses are 'shuttering' too quickly and a few adjustments to extend the duty cycle of the RF glasses might help. I haven't tried this yet. RBE might be contributing to the effect also. I think some minor FI (frame interpolation) in the video processing would help but you won't see that in a projector in this price range.
  5. tafida01

tafida01 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    please i need urgent help my projector works fine untill now when i on it will work for about 5mins then the picture goes first followed by the sound then a red light appears on the place with picture of lamp with blinking orange light from the power. if i off it from the mains and on it again after five minutes it works for about five minutes and goes off again with the red light and blinking orange
  6. bazonix

bazonix Active Member

Ratings:
    +256
    there may be issue with pj itself.. if amber light flashing and red light on, u need to call customer services/shop purchased from.. gutted. unplug it for a while, re-test, but i doubt of any improvement... im seriously shocked at this... i want a five year warranty on mine. :(
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  7. wickfut

wickfut Member

Ratings:
    +25
    top tip:

In pitch black room settings I was getting a washed out picture with very noticeable greys for blacks.

A quick alteration of the Colourspace setting to RGB 16-235 and I now get a better black and contrast level than my LCD TV (ie, my blacks are darker and my whites are whiter than my TV when side by side)
  8. tafida01

tafida01 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    i think your therapy is working so far. after offing it for sometime its now work past the 5mins mark still watching
  9. tafida01

tafida01 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    its fine again
  10. tafida01

tafida01 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    why are the optoma 3D-RF Glasses+emitter always out of stock. the only one i have seen in-stock cost £160
  11. The_Caveman

The_Caveman Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi there

would it be possible to explain that, from what did you change it, as i cant figure it out?

Colourspace setting to RGB 16-235? :facepalm:
  12. wickfut

wickfut Member

Ratings:
    +25
    [​IMG]

It's just an extra gamma setting really.
  13. vane505

vane505 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I'm thinking of getting a GT750, and I was wondering about the input lag.

I've read that this projector has zero input lag (is that really possible? Don't know if I believe this). Have you tried gaming on it? How was it? Low input lag is really important to me, as I play alot of fighting games and tournaments.

Appreciate your help!
  14. tafida01

tafida01 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    i need help on how to play gt5 from my ps3 in 3d on this projector, also i have 3d r-f glass + emitter which 3d type should i choose? the dlp-link or the vesa. really dont know anything about this
  15. tafida01

tafida01 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    got the gt5 part, it is options: Hardware: scroll right to 3DTV
  16. pablomacri

pablomacri Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I have this PJ for 3 months now, it´s hooked on a ps3 and shortly to a wd tv live. It´s wonderfull, i watch 3d movies with a laptop attached to hdmi, the laptop lags a bit in fast moving scenes (that's why i´m going for a wd tv), but the image quality is superb. 3d works great, the kids love it, watching movies or playing call of duty.
    i only have an issue with this unit, it may be a general issue or maybe my unit has something wrong. When connected to ps3 with hdmi, sometimes, when the ps3 changes resolution (when you start or exit a game), it goes from 1080 to 720, 3d or 2d, the PJ goes automatically to AV-mute mode. If you press the av-mute button on the PJ (they don´t put a avmute button on the remote), the image gets back and you can continue without a problem. I tried connecting with component cable and the problem disapears, so it´s hdmi input related.
    The problem with the avmute button is that the PJ is celing mounted, and the kids can´t reach the button, so they have to call an adult, or turn off/on the PJ.
    Does anyone experience this?
  17. djwcaw

djwcaw Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I have the same issue with my PS3. It only seems to occur when I play/stop a 3D blu-ray (1080p 24hz input.) I don't recall having issues exiting from a 720p/60 3D game back into PS3 x-bar desktop.
  18. pablomacri

pablomacri Member

Ratings:
    +0
    have you contacted optoma? did they give you any solution? i guess i´ll make a rs232/pic button that sends the control code to the serial input. i don't think the firmware is user upgradable, is it?
  19. wickfut

wickfut Member

Ratings:
    +25
    I contacted Optoma suport and they weren't aware of the problem.

The guy I was emailing said he would pass it on further up the chain and that was the last I heard.
  20. davieg1

davieg1 Member

Ratings:
    +26
    Hi, How good is this pj on sky hd .I fancy getting this pj for xbox gaming ,kinect and sky hd/3d.
    I do not have a blu- ray player and probably wont be getting one either, so the 720p should be sufficient (should it?). The reason I am asking is that sky hd is output at 1080i, and on my 46" panasonic I can clearly see a difference from the sd broadcasts, so am wondereing if I will be losing out on quality on a 720 projector.

I currently have the full sky package and have viewed the 3d on my 23" pc monitor as an experiment,but look forward to the large screen experience

Is there a 1080p version of this short throw projector?
    Last edited: Feb 3, 2012
  21. Jay8135

Jay8135 Member

Ratings:
    +62
    I use the gt750 for the exact same purpose I think it handles sky etc really well. Kids love kinect on 120" screen posted few videos on YouTube, search 8135jay few vids of kinect and also avatar on sky hd and cars on bbc hd
  22. moyhim

moyhim Member

Ratings:
    +20
    I also get this issue, and was currently turning the PJ on and off to solve the issue.

Thanks for the heads up on the AV mute button.
    Clearly it is a problem on these GT750 :thumbsdow
  23. wickfut

wickfut Member

Ratings:
    +25
    I've just emailed support to ask if they've found a solution to it yet. I want to ceiling mount this PJ and can't if I have to faff about pressing buttons on it each time the PS3 changes resolution.
    I'll keep you posted.

is anyone getting white dust blobs on black backgrounds ?

this pic is taken from another website but it looks similar

[​IMG]

I have about 4 of them , 1 is around 10" long in the centre of the screen and very noticeable when watching space scenes from star wars or playing dark computer games.

How complicated is it to remove all the casing and suck the optics with a hoover ?

I really wish I hadn't bought this PJ now, warning to anyone else thinking about it... DONT
    Last edited: Feb 27, 2012
  24. wickfut

wickfut Member

Ratings:
    +25
    Just a heads up regarding the AV-mute issue.

I've just received an email from Optoma stating that I need to return the projector. Maybe it's a faulty batch or something?
  25. djwcaw

djwcaw Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Oh great! Did they specify the issue? My guess is they need to do a factory firmware update. Really wish we could update firmware on our own. The issue is a minor annoyance right now (have to get up and hit AV mute button on my ceiling mount) so I don't think I'm sending my unit back. REALLY wish they had AV mute function on remote!!!

re Dust blobs - my first gt750 had 2 dust blobs I could see on a black background (both about 8 centimeters in diameter on my screen.) Again not a major distraction only during black/transition scenes but I returned the unit and the 2nd unit has no dust blobs.
  26. wickfut

wickfut Member

Ratings:
    +25
    No, I got two emails.

The first saying that it was passed up to the technicians and he was waiting for a reply, the second saying that I needed to return the projector back to Optoma with the RMA doc attachment.

Not sure I want to risk sending it off to them via the post over this.
  27. jgar

jgar Member

Ratings:
    +2
    I was looking at the HD33 but throw distance limitations is drawing me towards the GT750. Is this thing really bad quality? I'm looking at some nasty little faults going on. Has any one had one of these problem free?

Thanks
  28. wickfut

wickfut Member

Ratings:
    +25
    For the money it's great. My last projector was in 2001, it was an 800x600 Hitachi and cost me £2000. This for £500ish beats it in every area.

The problem seems to be that it takes a while to sync when the source (ie PS3) changes its display resolution. It loses sync randomly. I can go days where it's fine, other days I have to press AV-mute every hour or so because it has lost sync. This only happens when changing games or going in and out of 3D mode.

It'd be a problem if I ceiling mounted it. But I don't think it's worth the risk sending it back through the post to fix.

The picture quality is faultless for the money, so if you can live with its little quibbles then it's a good buy. I'm unhappy because I have 8ft high ceilings and so would need to keep a ladder handy to press the AV-Mute button.
  29. Jay8135

Jay8135 Member

Ratings:
    +62
    I have yet to encounter this issue of losing sync, when I first got my projector I changed my output on the ps3 to 720p and unchecked 1080i and 1080p and haven't changed it since. I change games frequently ( 2 young kids ) and have yet to use the av mute, maybe I'm just one of the fortunate ones who hasn't had this problem!
  30. wickfut

wickfut Member

Ratings:
    +25
    IIRC 3D doesn't work unless the PS3 does the auto-setup thing, which doesn't give you the option to de-select resolutions.
    Last edited: Mar 19, 2012