1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Optoma GT750 owners thread

Discussion in 'Projectors' started by bazonix, Sep 27, 2011.

1. Pommychris

Pommychris Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Well the grinding sound has stopped and unable to recreate so hopefully it won't happen again because I live in Australia and bought the projector from amazon.com so shipping will cost dearly!

First impression with the projector is excitement and a need to test all my 3d movies and games on it. I haven't made any calibration changes and currently using a yellow wall (screen on order).

If there are particular calibration settings please let me know.
  2. jasonleechapman

jasonleechapman Member

Ratings:
    +49
    I found the out of box settings are pretty good saying that I haven't played around with any of the colour bias as yet.
  3. kingaaa

kingaaa Member

Ratings:
    +3
    Its been a while since I posted, been trying to get the set-up complete - I think barring a couple of blackout blinds I'm just about there. I got a new ceiling mount, a guy in Canada makes specific ones for each model - it's a lot hight into the ceiling now (and a lot neater)and I can literally stand 2 1/2 feet from the screen without casting a shadow, and the mount only worked out at around €30 shipped :

http://www.ebay.ie/itm/320769148311?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649

I also got a new set of 7.1 Monitor Audio Vector speakers - sounds amazing!

Here's a short video of my mate playing Forza 4 at 2pm with no blinds (video was taken with a smartphone so not the best quality) :

• Thanks Thanks x 2
  4. YogiFizz

YogiFizz Member

Ratings:
    +2
    Hi Everyone, Googling the GT750 has lead me here, as did googling cinema sound systems.

I am extremely interested in this projector, especially at its price, I currently have a 50" Samsung 3D TV with several pairs of the SSG-2100AB RF Glasses, which cost a small fortune.

My question is a bit different to all the others! would my glasses work with the Optoma RF Emitter? I have seen generic VESA plug emitters, which "should in theory work with the standard Samsung glasses" according to the suppliers.

Just wondered if anyone has been able to try this out? or if anyone was local to me with a GT750, so we could try it out with my Samsung SSG-2100AB 3D RF active shutter glasses?

I was also concerned about the high lumens on this projector, dont get me wrong, I dont really know anything about projectors, im totally new to this, hence the reason google lead me here! Its just some sites mention high lumen output, can cause excess lighting (from reflections) and blinding whites.

My lounge isnt overally dark, in fact its quite bright. so the Lumen count may be a bonus. Reviews stated the projector is amazing for games, but very basic for movies? My first port of call is movies, but on my budget I cant afford a cinema spec projector, will the GT750 surfice?

The Price, 1.4a HDMI, Built in 3D Processing and Short Throw are just pulling me into this projector despite What I have read elsewhere, Im really into audio setups, but not into all the latest video performance things, infact im red green colour blind.

Anyway, if anyone can give me extra info, I think I will be contacting AVPartmaster.

(My Fav 5.1 surround sound is available on ebay BNIB at the mo for £200 its real old, but quality is awesome, and my original one cost me near on £800 when I bought it. Check it out )
  5. YogiFizz

YogiFizz Member

Ratings:
    +2
    Hi Chris,

Calibration settings will vary so much, as all rooms have different amounts of light, and odds are there arent going to be many people with the same colour walls and furniture as you, which the light will be reflecting back onto.

There is a lot of factors to affect the picture on a PJ from what I can make out. lighting behind the screen, infront of the screen, through a window or doorway, reflections on a glossy table or cabinet, the lighter your decor and furniture, the more the light will bounce around giving a glow in the room.

A review I read on this projector suggested setting the brightness output to 6 out of 10 to decrease the lumen output in a room with quite dark walls, and venetian blinds 50% open.

I hope this helps, but it probably doesnt :(
  6. kbfern

kbfern Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,816
    The lumen output for this pj is 3500 which if using for films in a fully darkened room will be far too bright.If there is some ambient light in the room or using during daylight hours this pj is ideal.

If most of your use is in ambient lit rooms and you still want to use occasionally in a fully darkened room you could buy an ND2 filter which you can attach to the lens quickly with a piece of blutak.The lenses cost about £20 (Hoya glass lens are best) and will reduce the light output by 50% which will calm the bright image down to a more suitable light output and the contrast and blacks will look a lot better if the room is dark.
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  7. YogiFizz

YogiFizz Member

Ratings:
    +2
    Hi, thanks for your response on the Lumens, my concerns were right for "night viewing" then. but the lense Idea is brilliant.

Thanks for the input, that adds another tick, making ideal for daytime and night time viewing.

I am "disposing" of the 50" 3DTV by demoting it to bedroom, and sodl the other 50" which was originally in the bedroom. Hoping this PJ is good enough for the lounge as an everyday TV.

Also hoping my Sammy glasses work with it. Gonna take the leap and order it, will let you know about the sammy specs!
  8. kingaaa

kingaaa Member

Ratings:
    +3

kbfern, I've watched several 720p .mkv files on this projector in a totally darkened room and to me the picture is fantastic - having said that it's my first projector so cant really compare it to any others!
  9. kbfern

kbfern Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,816

Until you have seen other projectors in different rooms or other projectors in the same room you can't unfortunately make a valid comparison.

Most folks think their first pj is fantastic as you have nothing to compare it too.I remember 10+ yrs ago when seeing my first pj it was a Sanyo Z1 my jaw hit the floor and I had to have one.

That was a standard def 480p projector how do you think that would look now compared to any 720p or 1080p projector, pants:D
  10. kingaaa

kingaaa Member

Ratings:
    +3
    Yeah,point taken. Is there a short-throw projector aimed more at video than gaming that wouldn't be as bright?
  11. bazonix

bazonix Active Member

Ratings:
    +255
    OK!! :D

finally, i have my pj up! its taken ages as i went for a new install with motorised screen, a new 3d pioneer amp and a 9.1 speaker system.. sounds good! bass is a lot more controlled now.. and the sound is so much more involving. all just adds to the 'big picture' experience in my opinion.

the picture quality has improved, i guess the bulb has about 80 hours on it now.. and it just seems to get better! watched a few scenes this evening from various media and i was really impressed with everything!

i even managed to get kbfern over today! :smashin: i guess he can or will give a more detailed picture analysis. hope u enjoyed the evening Keith! :) the 3d rf system works pretty well, the button on side of glasses is pretty stiff. but no biggy, sync is very fast and picture quality seemed really detailed and more fluid in 3d. i have the lamp setting on eco, and even with the glasses on, it was not as dim as i thought it would be... in fact, i have very few complaints!

overall, i love this pj! blu ray looks good, 3d is excellent and satellite tv in hd is better than expected. i guess a 400 quid tele would better pq in every respect... except 3d, where bigger certainly seems better... very little, if no crosstalk either.. so a true bargain for a jack of all trades! :thumbsup:
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
    Last edited: Dec 20, 2011
  12. kbfern

kbfern Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,816
    Hi Baz

Just got back mate had a slow trek through Wolvo as the match had just fin
    ished.Blasted draw Wolves 2 Norwich 2 well at least we did not loose.

A big thank you Baz for a very good evening and for some nice scran your hospitality was most welcome.:D

I must say that the GT750 certainly punches above it's weight and in 3D was certainly brighter than I was expecting.Xtalk was as Baz said virtually non existent which is more that can be said for certain Dila/LCD models costing 5/10 times as much which I find quite ridiculous.

DLP certainly seems to be the way too go for 3D on a budget, obviously resolution being 720p does mean that you need to be sitting a bit further from the screen (or keep the screen size reasonable) to keep screen door to a minimum. Black levels are not fantastic but with 3000 lumen on tap what would you expect.

The projector was quieter than I was expecting which was a nice surprise and again as Baz said having the RF glasses certainly kept the 3D image locked on.

The 750 throws a nice big image from a very short 6ft throw and whilst the projector has no optical zoom the digital zoom did not seem to effect the sharpness too much.

Baz sound system is the dogs and he recently got a Pio LX85 (very nice) along with his existing Rotel power amps to give his sound some real authority.We listened to most of the music tracks on the "This is it" bluray and it had my feet tapping along nicely.

So all in all a very nice evening with good company so thanks again Baz, me and Simon both had a blast.:thumbsup:
  13. jasonleechapman

jasonleechapman Member

Ratings:
    +49
    @bazonix can I ask if you have changed any of your colour gain/bias on your picture settings. I've had the gt750 a few months now and ive asked on various forums just out if interest if anyone has played around with the picture settings and if you have a personal preference. Cheers
  14. bazonix

bazonix Active Member

Ratings:
    +255
    cheers Keith! glad u enjoyed the evening with Simon! hopefully no dodgy stomachs this morn! :D

hi Jason, simple answer is no as iv been happy with the pre-sets, cinema is great for films etc and iv not really adjusted anything else.. gaming mode seemed ok too... are u unhappy with anything? i will mess about with them a little but as we noticed last night, dependent on the media being played, there can be large variations in picture quality, hence adjusting one mode may be either beneficial or detrimental to other sources... ill have a play though! :smashin:
  15. DCUK6

DCUK6 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Just brought one a GT750. Tried wwe monday night raw wrestling on it and WOW. It looks stunning.

So much better looking than the HD600X that i had as that seemed to dark even in my small room with no lights.

Looking frward to the proper projector screen coming.
  16. DCUK6

DCUK6 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Can anyone tell me if the ZD201 glasses are best for the GT750 or should i look into getting the RF glasses?
  17. The_Caveman

The_Caveman Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi all

I just wanted to check, before I purchase one of these projectors

Where is your located? I will not be able to ceiling mount it,,, So it will be on its own little table in front of the couch.

Only planning on projecting a 92”ish image. 2 – 2.5 meters from wall.

How loud is this unit?

And, will you recommend using it this way? As in, set up in the middle section of a large 3 seater couch?
    Thanks…

:lease:
  18. DCUK6

DCUK6 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I havnt found it that noisy and then i turned it onto the lower light setting and goes quite quiet. I found that this still seems bright enough to use with windows open although that was just projecting onto a wall as my screen hasnt come yet.

Going on projector points screen size calculator if you sit the projector 2 metres away from the screen you will get around a 125" screen. If your looking at getting a 92" screen then you would have to put the projector 1.5 ish metres from the screen. I have a little table to put the projector on that sits in the room.

I cant see a problem setting it up on a table next to the couch as long as it doesnt move everytime you do. We had a loose floorboard so whenever we moved it slighly knocked the table so the picture kept jumping.

The only downside to having a short throw on a table in the room is the wires that have to travel into the middle of the room.
    Last edited: Dec 25, 2011
  19. wickfut

wickfut Member

Ratings:
    +21
    I've just ordered a GT750.

a couple of questions if you don't mind ?

Do they come with any glasses or should I order some ? If I should order some , what are the difference between the RF and ZD201 glasses in terms of image quality ? ie.. will the ZD201 be fine ? (the projector will be perched on a table about 2ft infront of me)

Has anyone used one on a grey screen for 3d ?

What is the correct model number for the bulbs and what shop has the best warranty/price ? (I'll probably end up being a heavy user)

Am I right in thinking I should have the PS3 output 1080p and have the projector scale the image for both 2d and 3d ?

anyway , I can't wait.. I haven't owned a projector in over 10 years. Playing wipeout HD in 3d on a 150" screen sounds like heaven!
    Last edited: Dec 27, 2011
  20. wickfut

wickfut Member

Ratings:
    +21
    I've had the GT750 projector for a couple of days now and might as well put my opinion up of it.

The GT750 is currently projected on to my cream wall and from about 5ft away it gives about a 110" 16:10 picture (I have a 110" screen arriving in the next few days). The image shape isn't a perfect 16:10 shape and after quite a bit of fiddling with the position I can't seem to get it accurate. (I have owned LCD projectors and CRT projectors in the past and didn't have problems with their alignment or convergence)

The image isn't as bright as I expected a 3000 lumens PJ to be, it's perfectly watchable in the dark and the colours are nice and vibrant, even in eco mode. Fan noise is only a problem in high-altitude mode where it sounds like my dyson.

The black levels on it are to be expected I guess, they look passable for the money. The picture quality with 1080p material is quite impressive. Rainbow effect is everywhere. It isn't as bad as some data DLP projectors I've seen at work but any white on dark has them. Maybe I'm just more susceptible to them ?

3D with the ZD201 glasses isn't as good as my LG 47LD950 passive TV. Fast moving scenes/games seems to judder in 3d. Oddly, I've found that 3d that works well with the TV doesn't work as well on the GT750, yet 3d that looked quite poor on the TV looks much better through the projector.

The glasses lose sync on bright scenes easily, this usually means the screen quickly goes pink, yellow and back to 3d again all in less than 1 second.

The "zero lag" myth that is going around about this projector is a joke. Wipeout hd on phantom is unplayable. The picture gives the impression that certain colours update faster than others, so in fast moving parts all you get is one huge mess of RBE.

The projector seems to be made cheap. The lens can move slightly and I don't trust pushing the stiff fitting cover on due to fear of breaking the surrounding plastic.
    In the last few days I've had a few problems with the projector and PS3. This being the projector gets confused and crashes when trying to get the PS3 out of 3d mode. On two occasions the screen has turned black and completely lost sync with the PS3 and I've needed to switch both the PS3 and projector off and on again. Another time the projector turned itself off without cooling, this was followed by a loud "POP!" noise coming from the projector. The projector then wouldn't turn back on again for a minute or two but worked fine again once it did.
    Hopefully this hasn't wrecked my lamp and they'll release an OS update for this.

The sound out of the projector is passable, nothing great but better than nothing. It also sometimes makes a grinding/crunching noise. I'm not sure if this is what other people on this thread are reporting , but the sound isn't mechanical , it's definitely coming from the speakers. It's like a digital distortion noise. I have the speakers set to mute and have the sound sent to a DAC and onto my active speakers anyway.

I guess this review seems to be negative, which in a way it is. I'm perfectly happy with my purchase based on pure price vs image quality, and while the PJ works. But with the operational quibbles and cheap build I'm a bit worried if the actual projector will last as long as the lamp.

I'd only recommend this projector if it meets your exact requirements. IE. Short throw , 3d, bright and for less than £600. If you have more money then do yourself a favour and go elsewhere.
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
    Last edited: Jan 3, 2012
  21. bazonix

bazonix Active Member

Ratings:
    +255
    i do agree with a lot written.. especially build quality, but iv looked at other optoma models, similar priced ones do share similar builds.. at least its black lol! :D my cover wont go back on either, its ceiling mounted and im scared to push it too hard in case the pj moves.. the other thing, without a 3d-xl converter box, what actually are the options for someone looking for a 3d short throw pj? not many.

im also having major hand shake issues with my pj.. it hates resolution changes and to lock on via the pioneer amp can take ages especially when swapping from satellite to blu ray... its quite embarrassing. it also hates it when i try to dual display via the amps dual hdmi outs... so effectively its either the tv or pj, not both. ill email optoma today to see whether a firmware update may become available.. hopefully they will read this post...

and on the 3d front.. i have to manually change it to 'sbs' when viewing 3d sat.. it should automatically acknowledge the feed format.. but when set to 'auto' it fails to display 3d. another fault..

im still happy with my pj. for me, short throw and 3d is most important, and if this is optoma's 3rd or 4th incarnation of its short throw series (gaming or not) id be very happy to wait for their future 1080p versions. :)
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  22. wickfut

wickfut Member

Ratings:
    +21
    hmm

Discovered the losing sync issue was my projector going into AV-Mute for some unknown reason. There seems to be an AV-mute button on the actual projector but none on the remote. quite odd.
  23. williamw11

williamw11 Member

Ratings:
    +14
    Considering one of these but have some questions.

My Epson TW3200 sits in the corner and I use lens shift to place image where I need it. With the GT750 I presume it needs to be centrally located? Is this correct? Is the fan noisy?

I plan setting it on a coffee table about 6 ft from my wall/screen.

Any other options I should consider?

This will be used purely for 3d gaming and movies with the epson taking care of everything else.

Thanks
  24. wickfut

wickfut Member

Ratings:
    +21
    It has to be dead centre.

The PJ is very quiet in standard mode and goes louder so you'd notice it in bright mode and hurricane levels in high-altitude bright mode.

Mine is set on a table which is 5.5ft from a 110" screen.

depends how fast moving the games are. If you play for eg. Ridge Racer or wipeout HD on their fastest levels then you'll start to notice rainbows merging with the graphics.

Playing motorstorm or superstardust HD in 3d however is an amazing experience.
  25. celohc

celohc Member

Ratings:
    +0
    guys i really need your help, im literally a hour from purchasing Optoma gt 750xl as my first projector. It will be on my bedroom in a wall from 2.5 - 3 meters from the wall. I will use just to play ps3 and watch movies, is this the right projector for me ??? Also im buying from europe and i live in brasil will i have any problem?
    thanks a lot guys, i know there are many question in only one thread but i appreciate the effort.
  26. bazonix

bazonix Active Member

Ratings:
    +255
    hi sorry if ur hour is up.. did u press the right button?! :D

i would recommend the pj, especially for what u want it for...at 2.5-3m, have u got the wall space for fixed projection? it will be big! approx.. 3-4metres across!

other than that, yes, its worth buying for ur needs.. can u not purchase it closer to home? reliability may be an issue, i would want my dealer next door. literally... :)
  27. celohc

celohc Member

Ratings:
    +0
    :eek:
    Thanks for the input bazonix, i did not buy yet, i decided to wait till tomorrow to go to the store and buy. but i have 2 more questions: can i choose to project a smaller projection picture? Lets say the pj is about 3 meters from the tv but i only want a 70'' screen, is that possible? My room is kinda small and i dont know if the screen will be too big, if is possible that.
    And the second is: is there a lot of errors with this projector? Because in brasil the pj is three times the price here in europe, so tomorrow is my last chance to buy it and i will not buy if is ususal to occour lot of errors with it.
    Thanks for the quick reply and sry for my bad english.

Ps: whats the biggest size of screen recommended for someone gaming with 2 meters away from screen?
  28. celohc

celohc Member

Ratings:
    +0
    another thing: the projector in portugal is costing 750 euros the cheapest, should i still buy it ? The Review of Wickfut got me scared =/
  29. wickfut

wickfut Member

Ratings:
    +21
    I haven't had the projector crash on me since. The projector still goes into AV-MUTE sometimes when the resolution changes on the PS3 or if 3D mode auto selects. Other than that it's worked fine.

If given the option to buy again , I'd keep going for the HD33.
    Last edited: Jan 13, 2012
  30. davieg1

davieg1 Member

Ratings:
    +26
    If price is 3 times as much in Brazil as in Europe, then you cant lose really.Buy it , take it home and if you are not satisfied, or dont like it, then sell it for same price that you paid for it here, and you will not lose any money on it