1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Optoma GT750 owners thread

Discussion in 'Projectors' started by bazonix, Sep 27, 2011.

1. bjt

bjt Member

Ratings:
    +1
    Update - had the GT750 about a month now.

- Turns out that plugging headphones directly into the audio out causes distortion. Connecting to a hifi and plugging headphones in to that works fine.
    - Bought a Panoview DP-9080MWL 80" pull-up screen to use with the projector. Works really well without having to drill into the walls, would recommend this for anyone in a rented house!
    - I noticed that the focus changes a bit while the projector warms up, so it's best to set focus after 5 mins or so.
    - I'm now using the component and S-Video connections as well as HDMI, works well!
  2. chrisf74

chrisf74 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi bjt,

I've just got a GT750 and was looking at getting a Panoview DP-9080MWL screen. Could you do me a favour and measure the depth & height of the case once the screen is rolled down? The Optoma site has the size as being 1930 x 60.19 x 77 - is that really correct? Only I want to double-check that it would fit in the storage space that I have in mind for it!

Thanks very much!

Chris
  3. jaynigs

jaynigs Member

Ratings:
    +4
    Anyone have any trouble fitting the lens cap? mine doesnt want to go on very easily, and when it does it falls off with consumate ease..

There is a metal plate inside, i tried removing that, but still not helped much
  4. bjt

bjt Member

Ratings:
    +1
    No worries, will measure it when I get home tonight.

Takes a fair amount of pressure to put on for me too. It seems to be only held on by friction.

After we watched a 3D film last night (Shark Night 3D - silly, but all good fun) I managed to break the arm of one of the 3D glasses while putting it back into its box. The plastic at the hinge is really thin and honestly a bit crap considering they cost £50. I'm going to try epoxying it back together.

Also noticed this projector coming out early next year:

BenQ W1080ST
    Big Screen 3D Fun With BenQ
    http://www.avforums.com/forums/proj...ort-throw-native-1080-projectors-due-out.html

If this has a reasonably low input lag for gaming and isn't too much more expensive, it could be a natural upgrade from the GT750.
  5. jaynigs

jaynigs Member

Ratings:
    +4
    ok bjt, will try, but i feel a bit uneasy about applying too much force, the lens moves a little when i do

Did you remove the metal plate inside the cap? are you meant to?
  6. bjt

bjt Member

Ratings:
    +1
    Including the handle, I got 193cm x 6cm x 11cm, so it looks like the site is correct apart from not taking the handle's height into account.

No, the cap only slides on about 5mm or so. The edges of the lens fit into a groove on the cap (I think?)
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
    Last edited: Dec 4, 2012
  7. chrisf74

chrisf74 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks very much for that. It looks like the screen will just store away in the space I had in mind for it :smashin:
  8. wad

wad Member

Ratings:
    +7
    ok just made a tension 16:9-92"screen out of heavy duty cotton thermal blackout cloth, it`s looking good so far, with this it is portable in a way can be mounted in any room any wall, anyway the screen is a light grey we are planing on painting it with BW what do we need to prime it and will the BW take to it? to make it even better.
    also we found one corner kicks out so we be using velcro to stick the bottom corners back so it`s all hidden and flat, or is there another way
  9. signor

signor Member

Ratings:
    +0
    hi guys, i follow this thread since last summer, and now i decided to buy this projector.
    i'd just like to know if it has the RGB calibration, because for the first month i will project on a wall that is not perfectly white (it's very pale orange) and i don't want to much color distortion.
    after this christmas holidays i'm planning to buy a screen paint (white or light grey).
    thanks ;)

ps. @bjt: you mean that if you plug your headphones into the projector audio out the sound is distorted, but if you connect projector --> hifi --> headphones the sound is clear?
    Last edited: Dec 9, 2012
  10. j1mgg

j1mgg Member

Ratings:
    +1
    Just got this projector today and what a doodle to setup. Just got it setup on the wall in the living room just now and it looks great(first projector so may be a bit over excited).

The only thing I noticed is it is outputting at 1080i, should I be worried.

Was in pc world and they seem to be whittling down their stock so not sure if there is a new version on the horizon, but the guy thought optoma do their release in April. If you can collect one from a store near you the XL version is 539. I had to go to maplin where it was 600, where I got 30 off and a 25 voucher so wasn't too bad.
  11. Saangreal

Saangreal Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Hello folks!

I was about to buy a new TV but then the idea of having a projector hit me and after doing some research I have my eye set on the GT750, however I have a problem.

My room is very limited regarding space and viewing position. The only way I could watch a projector screen is from about 2 meters away, with the bottom of the screen being 1,45 meters off the ground. From this position I would have to tilt my head up quite a lot, which I am assuming would ruin 3D, and due to the close viewing position I would get a fair bit of screen-door effect.

Could someone please try to watch the screen from this close up and tell me how the picture looks like? Am I better off just buying a TV?
  12. chrisf74

chrisf74 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi signor,

Sorry for the delay in replying. Here's a photo I took yesterday of the RGB settings available.

[​IMG]

Hope it's of help!

Chris
  13. aoaaron

aoaaron Member

Ratings:
    +2
    can anyone give a rough estimate to how old this PJ is and if a 1080p version will be available anytime soon? this PJ seems very affordable... just wish it was 1080p for future proofing abit,.
  14. wad

wad Member

Ratings:
    +7
    Video Compatibility1080p24/50/60, 1080i50/60, 720p50/60, 576p50, 480p60
  15. rmg

rmg Member

Ratings:
    +7
    What about the benq mate. Similar price, spec and throw plus you get 1080p and a bit of lense shift.
  16. rlittlefellow

rlittlefellow Member

Ratings:
    +1
    Hi,

I just bought the gt750 and want to mount it on the ceiling..I just wanted to know if anyone knows if the NBT717M mount mentioned earlier in this thread has the ability to move (not tilt) the PJ forward backwards left/right for slight adjustment?
  17. dazzzler

dazzzler Member

Ratings:
    +1
    Hi, thats the one i bought and was talking about earlier in this thread. If you take a look at some pictures of it you see that the bit that you use to fasten the mount is circular. This means the head that fits to the ceiling can effectively be screwed in at any angle.

The reason i got the mount was that i was worried about the lack of zoom so the distance from the screen was critical. So i bought this mount, made sure that the mount was attached to the projector so that the "rail mechanism" allowed forward and backwards movement rather than left to right.

So in answer to your question, in practice, it allows either forwards/backwards or left/right depending on how you attach the projector.

It was still a bit of a pest to setup, i'd recommend 3 people, one to hold it up, one mark the points on the ceiling and the third to make any tombstone/aspect ratio adjustsments to the picture using the remote, as they also affect the placement/distance/tilt etc

Hope that helps
  18. j1mgg

j1mgg Member

Ratings:
    +1
    The projector is just over 18 months old and I have heard they should be bringing out a new one sometime this year, I would expect it to be 1080p.

As the person above has mentioned have a look at the benq.
  19. rlittlefellow

rlittlefellow Member

Ratings:
    +1
    I've ordered this projector myself can you tell me how long it took for delivery and also what length m3 bolts for projector cheers
  20. dazzzler

dazzzler Member

Ratings:
    +1
    I always go for super saver delivery and its nearly always delivered within a couple of days if amazon are the actual seller. I think the mount took a week or so. The m3 screws i went for had a 10mm long thread, but in hindsight it doesn't give you much to play with, so i'd probably go for the next size up (15mm?) and buy some washers if you need to pad it out.

I know sounds a bit random, but it is a generic mount, so there are limitless ways to actually attach it with all the different lenght arms etc that come with it. It'll look a bit of a pigs ear in your hands,, but when its up there you wont see it so its not an issue.
  21. Toshman

Toshman Member

Ratings:
    +56
    Never pay extra for delivery on Amazon, as said free super saver delivery is always as quick as the paid delivery options in my experience. They are also doing a free trial of Amazon Prime at the moment, its normally not worth it at £49/year but for a free trial it's spot on, it gives you free next day delivery!
  22. ScoobyZ

ScoobyZ Member

Ratings:
    +31
  23. rlittlefellow

rlittlefellow Member

Ratings:
    +1
    I did look at that count on ebay but it didn't look like it had a lot of adjustment on it so I ordered the optoma replica one.
  24. rlittlefellow

rlittlefellow Member

Ratings:
    +1
    Well I received the mount today and it looks a pain in the arse to setup....any tips or steps on how to get it mounted correctly....
  25. rlittlefellow

rlittlefellow Member

Ratings:
    +1
    Just checking the settings while mounting my pj and i notice it has a zoom feature? I thought his pj did not have zoom? will this impair the quality of picture if used.
  26. Toshman

Toshman Member

Ratings:
    +56
    Hi, do you find this mount to be very secure, I ask because I am looking for a new mount as my existing one moves whenever I put the lens cap on! Also, how easy is it to remove the PJ once installed?
  27. ScoobyZ

ScoobyZ Member

Ratings:
    +31
    Yep seems secure to me and I'm a fussy git. I leave the lens cap off though.

To remove you just need to undo the thumb screw.

It also pivots left to right and up and down. I also bought a generic one and it was useless on the GT750 so went for this one.
  28. Toshman

Toshman Member

Ratings:
    +56
    Good stuff, I've got a HD300X so I'm just checking with the vendor whether they do one to fit.
  29. dazzzler

dazzzler Member

Ratings:
    +1
    Its a digital zoom, so generally regarded as a "no no" to use if you want the best possible picture
  30. rlittlefellow

rlittlefellow Member

Ratings:
    +1
    Got the projector up today...attached to plasterboard only using snaptoggles which are very good.

This mount is good as it has a lot odds adjustments but its very stiff so quite hard to make slight adjustments without being a bit forcefull which scared the shizer out of me with it been attached to plasterboard only.

I've almost got it set bang on but to be honest I'm not overly worried as I will mostly be used for gaming so wont be looking at sides of screen if its a few mml out.

Attached Files: