1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Optoma GT750 owners thread

Discussion in 'Projectors' started by bazonix, Sep 27, 2011.

1. bazonix

bazonix Active Member

Ratings:
    +255
    ok mines just arrived. :)

wont be home until late and have yet to set up a ceiling mount (lifting carpet, dismantling bed, floorboards etc upstairs..) so ill probably make a weekend installation of it.. good to just keep it out of my way...cannot wait! 92 inch image from approx 1.46m. pretty impressive... the coffee table will ok for a few days i guess! pj needs to be raised pretty high due to positioning constraints of my electric screen...

main reason for purchase: it does away with any convertor box, very short throw, portable (i have a rec room which hosts some nice gatherings with arcade and pool table and a lot of light!),2 hdmi 1.4 as standard, and i got it for the equivalent of 300quid when comparing with the outgoing GT720 + 3dxl...

i hardly have time to watch films any more so this seems perfectly acceptable to do all the things i want, above average. which i hope it does! once set up, ill give it a good, detailed comparison against my 1080p plasma tele... i can see in the instruction manual there is a whole range of video settings, so picture should be improvable...but it was not purchased to give a 'jvc x3' cinematic experience, just a nice, clean, big picture. with added bonus of 3d.

i havent bothered with the glasses yet, another good thing about this budget set up is it allows use of the new optoma 3d rf glasses system, the one ill probably go for. an rf adaptor is meant to be included,i couldnt find it? dlp compatible too. biggest downside is lack of xoom and lens shift etc.. but im not bothered, just need to be very accurate with ceiling mount i guess... bought 2 metal poles to make a telescopic adjuster to sit between the mount base and top... hope it works!

reviews (more to follow):

Optoma GT750E Review & Rating | PCMag.com

Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Optoma's GT750E 720p, Short Throw, 3D Projector

uk product summary:

Optoma EMEA - GT750: The Ultimate 3D Gaming Projector

there seems to be 2 models the vanilla 750 and the 750e/xl, one bundled with a pair of dlp zd1/201 (maybe rf?!) glasses... not too sure, as the 750 seems to be the only one available in UK.... yet.

http://www.amazon.com/Optomas-GT750E-Short-Throw-Projector/dp/B005G2HR6W nice summary!

more news on the rf tech:

Optoma Licenses Bit Cauldron Technology for New Optoma 3D-RF Glasses and Emitter System Demonstrated at IFA Hall 7.2A Booth 102 | OPPO BDP-93

enjoy! :smashin:
    Last edited: Sep 29, 2011
  2. jasonleechapman

jasonleechapman Member

Ratings:
    +49
    Hi im ordering my gt750 first thing Friday morning. Will look forward to your updates. My main use for this pj is for family time ie gaming ( kinect ) movies which I'm looking forward to seeing how the 3D fairs up and occasional sports, I've gone for a 120" screen with 2 pairs dlp link glasses. I too will be ceiling mounting at a later date so I will keep an eye on your thread to see how you get on.
  3. kingaaa

kingaaa Member

Ratings:
    +3
    Mines getting picked up in Birmingham on thursday, wont have it in Dublin until friday.Got my screen last week so Im ready to go, I'll post some videos when its up and running.
  4. bad robot

bad robot Member

Ratings:
    +357
    I ordered today from AVpartsmaster.co.uk
    Never got from them before so hope are a good reliable company.
    They have a model called XL which includes the glasses.
    I assume this is what some refer to as the GT750E

What a bargin as I got £250 recently for an old Panasonic AX100.

Should be a great projector for gaming and some movies.

Link
  5. jasonleechapman

jasonleechapman Member

Ratings:
    +49
    i looked at avpartsmaster, the price was a little high at first but i emailed them to do a price check with a company called projector planet they then came back to me saying they would match the price of projector planet. I wasnt aware they had the gt750e will look into that. looking forward to seeing what its capable of hopefully all well and good should have pj/screen and dlp glasses delivered all on monday
  6. bazonix

bazonix Active Member

Ratings:
    +255
    ok.. :(

iv installed it on the coffee table... and it shows video. AND a horrible grinding noise... if i press av mute on the pj itself, it disappears but so does the video... this is unreal... i think its a broken colour wheel reading about this subject...:eek: back to retailer i guess... :thumbsdow
  7. jasonleechapman

jasonleechapman Member

Ratings:
    +49
    How frustrating for you I'm no expert in projectors could it be the fan??
  8. bazonix

bazonix Active Member

Ratings:
    +255
    well if the video is removed, the pj fan is still on and it sounds normal...the issue itself sounds like shoving a ruler in a moving table desk fan if thats clear.. grinding/clacking...?! something that rotates is the cause... iv googled loads and most come back to the colour wheel.. im more than capable of investigating the issue indepth, but its brand new. i dont want any comebacks so advice from retailer in morn.... i want another... just making me think about post warranty reliability...

ps. the picture on inception was ok. but not what i was expecting... so this had better be related to the issue i currently have...
    Last edited: Sep 27, 2011
  9. kingaaa

kingaaa Member

Ratings:
    +3
    Dont like the sound of that!!! hopefully the picture will improve when the projector has been repaired/replaced - I'm really hoping that what I've been reading about this projector isn't a case of over-hyping!!!
  10. jasonleechapman

jasonleechapman Member

Ratings:
    +49
    This doesn't sound good!! Like you said it may be due to the current issues your having. I've seen pics/videos of the gt720 displaying sky hd and they looked good surely the 750 has to be as good if not better. Think I will search about to see if u can find any videos of the 750 I've read the user reviews on amazon (us) and they seem promising.
  11. bazonix

bazonix Active Member

Ratings:
    +255
    i do not contest for one minute that the gt750 is not an improvement over the 720. it is/should be. simple fact its hdmi 1.4 is a winner to me.

anyhow, its being collected, tested and returned.. id like a brand new unit in all fairness. gutting thing is i wanted to set up the final cable runs, being fixed throw and all that this weekend. that wont be happening now. gutted!

oh well, best things etc... :)
  12. jasonleechapman

jasonleechapman Member

Ratings:
    +49
    Can anyone recommend a telescopic ceiling mount for the gt750?
  13. bad robot

bad robot Member

Ratings:
    +357
    Sorry to hear about the faulty unit. Always feel peoples pain with that as have had the problem myself with some products in the past.

Paul at AVpartsmaster says my unit has shipped and he confirmed that the XL model comes with the RF Transmitter and 1x set of glasses. So a bit better value than maybe purchasing seperate.

He responded with their online chat box, helpful guy and said they had a few left if anyone else is interested.
    Last edited: Sep 28, 2011
  14. jasonleechapman

jasonleechapman Member

Ratings:
    +49
    Could I ask what price you got for the glasses included?
  15. bad robot

bad robot Member

Ratings:
    +357
    I believe I paid £610 including VAT & delivery to my area.
    I assume the included glasses are the RF type which I believe they sell for about £57 seperate IIRC.

"Optoma’s new projectors, including the HD83, HD33, HD300X, and GT750. The 3D-RF emitter is attached to the projector once at setup and then the user wears the 3D-RF glasses. The 3D-RF emitter and glasses are available together in a kit as a system. 3D-RF glasses are also available individually. The HD33 includes the 3D-RF emitter. The GT750-XL is the GT750 projector with a 3D-RF emitter included.

Each of these Optoma projectors continues to support DLP Link glasses while also enabling 3D-RF. The RF technology that Optoma has licensed from Bit Cauldron makes the 3D-RF glasses superior to glasses that rely on infrared signals from an emitter because the RF signal is not interrupted when the line of site is broken, allowing the user to look away from the screen without the glasses turning off. the glasses work up to 150 feet away from the emitter with no line of sight requirement, eliminating the awkward placement and aiming required of infrared emitters and enabling reliable operation even if the emitter is covered or moved slightly."
  16. bazonix

bazonix Active Member

Ratings:
    +255
    Paul has very efficiently and politely responded to my live chat question to confirm the glasses bundled with the xl are in fact the rf ones..
    that is a bargain, especially as the rf emitter is included too! :smashin:
  17. bad robot

bad robot Member

Ratings:
    +357
    Great news then.

Im getting mine mostly for gaming purposes so something like GOW3 or GT5 will be what I want to test this with and see how it performs regards "Crosstalk". Pricepoint is amazing although I think I will miss not having a zoom feature. Quality of GT720 was decent and this should be better than say the 600X which I considered with 3DXL earlier in the year.

Yet Sony are trying to flog off their new PS3 style 24" 3DTV for about £500
    Good luck to Sony.

100"+ 3D Gaming here I come... :thumbsup:
  18. bazonix

bazonix Active Member

Ratings:
    +255
    ...making me jealously impatient! :p
  19. jasonleechapman

jasonleechapman Member

Ratings:
    +49
    That is a good deal I was looking at £659 for the gt750 and 2 pairs of dlp link glasses but I may look into the xl prior to ordering on Friday and go with the the one pair of glasses for now that way I can purchase a ceiling mount now rather than later. Still doing some research into screens too looking at a 120" on amazon at the moment priced at £99. Don't think the misses will be overly impressed with the bank balance come tea time Friday!!! Oh well.
  20. Faffer

Faffer Member

Ratings:
    +39
    I just got my 1st projector its not 3d but OMG how much better GT is now at 100"

I do somtimes think should I have gone 3d but the 100" size will do me for now .. I have a 3d TV and ended up going back to playing in 2D as sat there with glassas on head set got to much more so while trying to drink.

Enjoy

Richard
  21. bad robot

bad robot Member

Ratings:
    +357
    Thanks and yeah I used to enjoy a 80" setup with the AE2000. For me GT5 is still at its utter best with triple screens. Run 3x 24" and look to do the same with FM4. Multiscreen changes the game completely having the wider view :clap:

The 3D on GT5 has been a mixed bagged according to reports Ive read, whats your thoughts? However the drop in frame rate is what might annoy me the most. Ive held off from getting a 3DTV and waited a long time for 3D projection to be affordable.

Im going to hug the GT750 before switching it on, lol.
  22. Faffer

Faffer Member

Ratings:
    +39
    it was ok dont get me wrong but spending a few hours with mates on line i decided to go back to 2D putting the glasses on headset got to much .. for a film its been hit and miss as to if the 3D has done much .. but I do read that a projector set-up with a big screen is better ..

3 screen setup mmm cool tho a projector 3 screen setup would be very expensive but I can see that been good

be hard to hug once you have it mounted up ready for use

Richard
  23. kingaaa

kingaaa Member

Ratings:
    +3
    I got the BTech BT 882 , but if your ceiling would want to be very high to use the telescopic part - I have a pitched roof and the bracket will be bolted to the centre joist and its nearly exactly what the calculator recommends without extending the telescopic part, and thats for a 120" screen.
  24. kingaaa

kingaaa Member

Ratings:
    +3
    By the way Jason, check out a short video I put on youtube of the 120" screen I got after kbfern recommended it off ebay :

The noise at the end is a washing machine - not the projector!! :>)
    Last edited: Sep 29, 2011
  25. jasonleechapman

jasonleechapman Member

Ratings:
    +49
    Very nice which Screen is that if you don't mind me asking.
  26. kingaaa

kingaaa Member

Ratings:
    +3
    Jason, kbfern recommended this seller on ebay

New 120" Electric HD Projection Screen 16:9 Matt White | eBay

I had the screen within 3 days and I live in Dublin! great service and the remote setup is a godsend - no pulling screens manually.
  27. markaimee

markaimee Member

Ratings:
    +1
    Hi looking at getting my first PJ need short throw really, only want temp set ups and be able to take to mates ect.. to watch occassional movie, games and footy. I have been looking at the GT750 and Benq W710ST cant decide on iether any thoughts. There isnt many reviews ( I know they are both new products) Cheers
  28. bazonix

bazonix Active Member

Ratings:
    +255
    still need convertor box with benq, same throw although a little more flexible on the positioning due to tiny zoom function.. cant really see the advantages over the optoma, at all. gt750 also comes with a handy travel bag too... :)
  29. jasonleechapman

jasonleechapman Member

Ratings:
    +49
    Well I have now decided on the gt750 xl got a great price from avpartsmaster which also includes a telescopic ceiling mount which they have kindly reserved for me for purchase tomorrow. Also thanks for the screen video I have ordered the same on eBay so all I have to do now is wait patiently lol
  30. jasonleechapman

jasonleechapman Member

Ratings:
    +49
    Could I ask what the measurement is between the 2 mounting points on the screen as I am wall mounting mine and also what is the measurement of the screen drop once fully down if you dont mind. I'm wanting to do some prep work prior to arrival thank you