1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

OPPO BDP-95EU Owners thread part 2

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players' started by the movie freak, Dec 28, 2011.

1. Avi

Avi Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,079
    Where I've observed issues using the S&M chroma resolution tests it was easy to identify when an output option affected chroma resolution compared to others that didn't.

If the "real world" material contains high frequency content like that used in the S&M test the issues it will manifest in the same way. How easy that will be to see will depend on a whole host of variables but unless there's a big issue the difference will usually be very subtle.

Differences in image can be made up of an aggregate of small steps that together influence overall PQ more noticeably. The S&M title is a 1080p/24 Blu-ray designed to help make identifying individual performance influencers easier. :)

Avi
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  2. MJeeves

MJeeves Active Member

Ratings:
    +175
    Thanks. I will give it a go. Cheers! :thumbsup:
  3. MJeeves

MJeeves Active Member

Ratings:
    +175
    One last question guys... if I may... re the Oppo BDP-95... that now takes pride of ownership on my AV rack.

1. What is the BEST setting in order to get the BEST sound quality from the dedicated analog stereo outputs (both RCA and XLR) on the Oppo?
    Is it Left/Right Front or is it Stereo Downmix?

2. How do I get the Oppo to see and play my media on the my home network / PC. It looks like the PC name is an option on the MY NETWORK page but when I click on it... it says that it can't be accessed?

Thanks again guys! :thumbsup: :smashin:

Loving this player so far! And thanks so so much to Allan at IdealAV.
    I will post back once I have spent more time with my new toy. :D
  4. BrianMW

BrianMW Active Member

Ratings:
    +388
    What software/DLNA server are you using?
  5. MJeeves

MJeeves Active Member

Ratings:
    +175
    Erm. Dunno.
    Could you explain? :confused:
    I thought it might work in the same way as my WDTV Live works. :confused:
  6. MG3000

MG3000 Member

Ratings:
    +4
    Well this seems to be a very confusing question and one that Oppo should make a lot clearer in the manual!!!

Personally I use the dedicated stereo out, set it on Left/Right front on the Oppo and attach to the FR/FL on my 7.1 multichannel analog input. I don't use the FR/FL inputs on the Oppo. This uses both DACS instead of the one.

I use the C, SW,SB,SL but not the FL,FR for multichannel from the oppo.

It works for me.
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
    Last edited: Feb 26, 2012
  7. MJeeves

MJeeves Active Member

Ratings:
    +175
    Thanks guys.

One last question then...

How do I install an UPnP/DLNA streamer? And what works best for an Oppo 95 (I also have a WDTV Live and don't want to ruin that working the way it currently does). :confused:

And... is anyone else having quite noticeable "fan noise" from their Oppo 95 with the latest firmware? Mine is well ventilated with LOADS of space around it, the room is cool, and there is nothing on top of it (it is the top piece of kit on my hifi rack). And yet after about 20 mins of playing anything the fan kicks in and is quite noticeable from 6-8 feet away. :confused:

Loving the picture and sound and SPEED of this machine though. :thumbsup:
  8. Owen Smith

Owen Smith Member

Ratings:
    +85
    I have yet to find a DLNA server where everything works with the Oppo, and I haven't found anything that will serve .ts files at all.

I have Logitech Media Server 7.7 for my Squeezeboxes, and the DLNA server in that serves .mkv files to the Oppo fine. But it won't serve FLACs, they just lock the Oppo up. I haven't found anything that does a decent job of that, but I haven't really tried since I have the Squeezebox to play FLACs.

Asset will serve FLACs to the Oppo, but browsing the files is so painfully slow that I can't stand using it. The DLNA server built into my WHS V1 server won't serve either .flac or .mkv files to the Oppo.

Hallelujah! At last, someone other that me who thinks the Oppo 95 fan noise is excessive. I'm running with several months old software, the last one that can play ISO images (not because I use ISOs but because I have no need to upgrade). As you say, after 20 minutes playing anything (even audio only on a USB stick) the fan kicks in and is audible from 2m away.

I emailed Oppo support about the fan and they said don't stand it on glass shelving (which I do) and don't have a wall behind the Oppo (which I do). What do they expect us to do, suspend it by string from the ceiling in the middle of the room?

There have been suggestions in the past that reinstalling the firmware will quieten down the fan. Apparently some files get corrupted (not a good sign!) and a re-install fixes it. Since you are on the latest software you could try this. I don't want to as I'd rather not upgrade given all the recent issues, unless someone has a copy of the last software to support ISOs which I can re-load.
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  9. MG3000

MG3000 Member

Ratings:
    +4
    Haven't you heard of levitation LOL!

I get fan noise too, seems to stop when playing HDD though, maybe CD/DVD is worse
  10. inferno_red

inferno_red Member

Ratings:
    +4
    Hi, im having trouble streaming music to my oppo 95. The oppo detects the server (windows media player), it can see all of the track listings, artists etc. However when you select a track to play it only plays the first 10 seconds or so and then the music stops. The progress bar continues, but without any music...
    The signal strength on the wireless is excellent (I even updated the wireless router), but I still seem to be getting problems.

Any ideas what is going on...

For information the file format that im trying to pull is FLAC.

Regards

Andy
  11. inferno_red

inferno_red Member

Ratings:
    +4
    oh...and operating system, is vista

thanks
  12. hifidelityman

hifidelityman Member

Ratings:
    +3
    Hi Folks,
    Tried to read all the threads but at my age taking all the info in is not just difficult but nigh on impossible!
    I currently have a Sony ES5000 Blue ray player which I use solely in its 7.1 Analogue output into an Arcam AV9 for the sound side of things, and HDMI to the Plasma for picture, with which I am very happy with the performance.
    I am considering moving into the 3D arena and as such my Sony will not output this format. Therefore, as well as a New TV I will need a new 3d Player.
    I use 2 valve monoblocks for the Left and Right Channel and a Tag Mc. 5.1 for the remainder plus a Stentor for the sub .
    I am not interested in a player's music capabilities as I use a High end SACD player - so my only requirement apart from its picture quality is for the new player to have a very high quality 7.1 analogue output with decoding of the latest HD formats.
    To this end, is the 95 any better than the 93 or am I better keeping the Sony and buying the Marantz for the few 3D discs that I am likely to buy which for a very long time will not approach the number of Standard and Blu ray discs I currently have? Also two pieces of my kit already have fans which whilst not noisy are just about hearable in very quiet passages so any more may be a bit too much.
    Any views please?
    Thanks
    Tony
  13. RossT

RossT Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I was wondering what are your experiences with Oppo 95 and mkv files playback? I've been experimenting lately (also have PCH C-300, which does most of the playing) with mkv files streamed from a Synology 1511+ NAS and they all come on the TV in full screen (without the black bars top & bottom) even though the films are encoded in wide screen. Tired all possible setting for TV, Oppo, receiver. Tried playback w/o receiver but to no avail. Any ideas what could be causing the weird scaling?
  14. Ideal AV

Ideal AV Active Member Assured Advertiser

Ratings:
    +1,761
    Hi Tony

i`m also at an age where things take some understanding :D but I can tell you without a show of a doubt the 95 is a lot better with audio than the 93 using the analogue ouptuts.

The 95 has a dedicated analogue audio board with Sabre 32 bits dacs, none of which the 93 has, it also has dedicated stereo L/R phono & XLR outputs.

power supply is improved upon as well with the 95 using a Rotel PSU, yes it has a fan but to be honest I can never hear mine, but some other owners can.

With all that said the 93 is no slouch with audio either :smashin:

Allan
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  15. Wag

Wag Member

Ratings:
    +58
    Hi Tony,

Have a look at NuForce upgrades for the 93. I can highly recommend the NuForce Extreme Edition. The overall cost is a bit more that a 95, but it may be just what you are looking for.

You can buy a standard 93 and upgrade it yourself or by a player that is already upgraded.

OPPO BDP-93 to BDP-93 NuForce Extreme Edition Upgrade - Nuforce, Inc.

Food for thought.....

PS be aware of customs charges and taxes, and take them into account as well.
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
    Last edited: Mar 4, 2012
  16. Ideal AV

Ratings:
    +1,761
    Food for thought also is a customer of mine who purchased the nuforce upgrade recently sent it back due to all the problems he was having with it

A 95 will be ordered shortly to replace it
  17. Wag

Wag Member

Ratings:
    +58
    Really.....

What sort of problems, mine has been A1 since purchase.
  18. Owen Smith

Owen Smith Member

Ratings:
    +85
    Allan seems to be talking about the standard Nuforce upgrade (from his posting) whereas you have the Extreme. So may not be comparable.
  19. Wag

Wag Member

Ratings:
    +58
    Sure....

Still be interested to know though. Maybe he can clarify.
  20. Ideal AV

Ratings:
    +1,761
    i`m pretty sure it was the Extreme, not 100% but 99.9%

he`ll let you know when he reads this I suppose, I think we ought to let him tell you the issues though;)

from memory, everytime he sent it back he was hit with customs as well :(

has anyone who has upgraded they`re 93 ever heard a 95?
  21. Wag

Wag Member

Ratings:
    +58
    As a dealer, I'm sure you have had the chance to compare. What are your thoughts.

Although I don't think I really need to ask...;)
  22. Ideal AV

Ratings:
    +1,761
    I was meaning if anyone who has upgraded a 93 had heard a 95

I was always wondering this to be honest

my own thoughts of the 95`s audio performance via analogue is they are something special

but I would say that wouldn`t I :D

seriously though i`ve had some pretty fussy customers here since having the OPPO dealership who are far more involved with music than I am, all have reported the 95 to be "the best" they`d heard.

have you compared your 93 NXE to a 95?
  23. Wag

Wag Member

Ratings:
    +58
    No in fairness I have to say that I haven't. I bought the NXE upgrade to upgrade the 93 that I already had. The result is absolutely superb, but I cannot compare it to a 95.

One advantage of the upgrade of course is that the 93 has no fan. I know that for most people this is a non issue, but clearly it is an issue for some.

From the sound of it, you haven't had the chance to compare the 95 and 93 NXE either. Is that correct?
  24. Ideal AV

Ratings:
    +1,761
    that is correct i`ve never heard the 93 NXE

not wanting to cause a stink up but I honestly couldn`t see the point to it especially having heard a 95 beforehand.

but each to their own I suppose, we`re all different and do what we want to do

am I right in thinking after the board purchase, import duties and vat the 93 NXE is actually more expensive ?

the main point is you are happy with your purchase :clap:
  25. Wag

Wag Member

Ratings:
    +58
    If you weren't so far away, I would love to visit so that we could both put this to the test. You never know, if you convinced me, you might even get a sale out of it.

Yes you are quite right about the taxes and charges, which is why I mentioned it in my earlier post. The full upgrade does work out more expensive than a 95. From memory, I think all in with with everything included the price approaches £1300.

When you say that you can't see the point.....well it offers a clear upgrade path to existing 93 owners without having to sell the 93.
  26. Ideal AV

Ratings:
    +1,761
    my point is for £1300 you could have a 93 and a 95 almost :D

it would be a good day though and one which if you ever want to make up up here for a day you`d be very welcome to

anyway i`m shutting down as off to the airport very soon for a well deserve break ;)

good listening to everyone

Allan
  27. MJeeves

MJeeves Active Member

Ratings:
    +175
    I am a recent new owner of an Oppo BDP-95, which I purchased from the excellent Allan at Ideal-AV (great service!!!), and I have to say I am VERY impressed with the audio performance of the 95. The HDMI sound is pretty great, but the stereo performance over the RCA's and XLR's is REALLY good. I have a dedicated high-end CD player (Leema Antila), and a pretty solid second bluray player (Denon A1UD) and I have to say that the Oppo is in a similar league at a fraction of the cost. I listened to "Goldfrapp - The Singles" tonight and really enjoyed the "music". It is a very "musical" player and the picture quality is superb too. If they could get that fan a wee bit quieter it would be a bleedin' masterpiece. Recommended as a bluray, dvd and cd player. Amazing player at the price to be honest. :thumbsup:
    Last edited: Mar 5, 2012
  28. Wag

Wag Member

Ratings:
    +58
    Hi MJ

I can believe every word of it. Oppos are very special machines.

When I bought my 93, I had an Arcam CD37 (Arcam's top flight CD player). The Arcam out performed the standard 93. After upgrading with to the NuForce Extreme Edition however, the situation reversed.....and by quite a large margin. As a result I have now sold the CD37, the Oppo is that good.

As a bonus a further improvement can be gained in performance over standard CD players by listening to uncompressed WAV files or HD music via the USB.

Everything that I have read about the 95 suggests that it is also a truly remarkable machine. I really would like to hear one some time.
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  29. AndyH

AndyH Member

Ratings:
    +20
    Re DLNA servers. I use Twonky on Win7 and have no problems with FLACs (inc multichannel) and mkv's. That's streaming to a 93, but I'm going to presume no difference in this regard.

I tried using Windows Media Player (Win7) and had problems with playback and corrupt filenames. Edit - to be fair that might've been to the Onkyo 5009.
    Last edited: Mar 5, 2012
  30. hifidelityman

hifidelityman Member

Ratings:
    +3
    A hearty thanks to Alan and "WAG" for their responses - much appreciated - as soon as I get a new Plasma sorted I will go the 3D route and certainly put the 95 on my very short list - pity Alan is too far away to go and beg a demo!