Home Entertainment & Technology Resource

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Oppo BDP-95

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players' started by Berties, Dec 19, 2010.

1. Vipers

Vipers Active Member

Ratings:
    +591
    I'm really looking forward to trying some 24 bit material when I get my 95 hopefully later this week. It will be really interesting to compare it to my Bryston BDP-1 to see if a universal player can compete with a dedicated hard disk player.

On your Oppo Ktman are you using a powered hard disk from the mains or are you using power from the USB socket to work it?

Cheers,
  2. ktman

ktman Member

Ratings:
    +29
    hi
    iam using WD passport 1TB usb hardrive:thumbsup:
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  3. squad 701

squad 701 Member

Ratings:
    +12
    I am using a Western Digital Elements SE Portable Hard Drive (1TB,USB 2.0) - Black (£60)
    Powered by the USB bus, no power lead.
    no problems whatsoever, so far ;-)
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  4. DJBlade

DJBlade Member

Ratings:
    +63
    Same here, no probs . . . .
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  5. Vipers

Vipers Active Member

Ratings:
    +591
    Thanks for the feedback guys, I've got an un-powered seagate 500gb drive with around 300GB of 16 and 24bit music on that I use on my Bryston BDP-1 so it will be a good little comparison just swapping the drive over and seeing how they compare :)
  6. squad 701

squad 701 Member

Ratings:
    +12
    Hey Vipers, that's handy, all set up and ready to go, hope everything goes to plan.
    I'm sure you won't be disappointed.
    Just listening to "A Scarcity Of Miracles" A King Crimson ProjecKt, nice in MLP 5.1,
    Very bass orientated, good to see the odd 24bit 5.1 still coming through, and cheap to boot on Amazon ;-)
  7. BrianMW

BrianMW Active Member

Ratings:
    +389
    Wow this poor wee 95 on it's way to you has a lot to live up to!

Not only is it expected to kick the butt of a £4.5k disc spinner but now to beat to submission a £2.3k media file server, whats next race a DB-S round the Top Gear circuit? :laugh:

Just kidding Vipers, I know you are just looking to clear out a bit to get the new headphone setup and hopefully not loose too much qualities along the way and I genuinely hope it meets your expectations and I also look forward to your opinions on it's performance even if I think realities here might be hard. :blush:

Best of luck with it :)

PS I will also think that controlling media playback on the Bryston especially if done via an iPhone/iPad type device will be more slick than currently browsing with the Oppo using the main screen but the Oppo is a work in progress...
  8. IWC Dopplel

IWC Dopplel Active Member

Ratings:
    +348
    Vipers,

Looking forward to see how you get on :smashin:
  9. Ideal AV

Ideal AV Well-Known Member Assured Advertiser

Ratings:
    +2,053
    and the same to you :confused:
  10. Vipers

Vipers Active Member

Ratings:
    +591
    Thanks guys, it turned up today, time to go and have a play :)
    Last edited: Jun 2, 2011
  11. dean999

dean999 Member

Ratings:
    +122
    hi vipers

have you formed any opinions yet?
  12. Haemus

Haemus Member

Ratings:
    +9
    Hi vipers,

Whenever you have a chance, your opinion on .flac (red book/hi res) via USB, BDP-1 vs Oppo 95 would be greatly appreciated.
  13. Vipers

Vipers Active Member

Ratings:
    +591
    No problem, I'll have a play next weekend, like I said in the 95eu thread I was extremely impressed with the USB implementation, especially like the vinyl back screen :)
  14. ti33er

ti33er Member

Ratings:
    +122
    Has anyone verified the latest What-HiFi review of the Marantz UD7006 being better than the OPPO BDP-95 ? ...I am never sure what to believe from What-HiFi, I suspect they give most the favorable review to whomever pays them the biggest back-hander? ;-)
  15. ti33er

ti33er Member

Ratings:
    +122
    ....also has anyone tried using their OPPO BDP-95 (or 93) as a pre-amp i.e. connecting it DIRECTLY to a power amp, and using the Analogue VOLUME + / - ? ...could I get rid of my Audiolab 8000AP should I wish to have a one does all box?

Thanking you :)
  16. Berties

Berties New Member

Ratings:
    +606
    I wouldn't plug a source into a poweramp, in case of switch on pops.
  17. ti33er

ti33er Member

Ratings:
    +122
    Have read online that some people are doing it, using the OPPO as a preamp, and said it was excellent...BUT it is rumoured that DAC output below 80% does something funny with the data and loses quality!?
  18. Ideal AV

Ideal AV Well-Known Member Assured Advertiser

Ratings:
    +2,053
    thats funny that is :D

but be careful as I was relieved of my membership from WHF for saying something like that ;)
  19. squad 701

squad 701 Member

Ratings:
    +12
    Simple logic, Oppo 95 sounds better than the Marantz SA-KI Pearl Lite, so What HiFi say Marantz 7006 is better than Oppo 95.
    But will they say the Marantz 7006 sounds better the Pear Lite, time to hold there hands up ;-)
    Love the magazine though :)
  20. ti33er

ti33er Member

Ratings:
    +122
  21. ti33er

ti33er Member

Ratings:
    +122
    ...nobody? Lol ...if I was to be a 'Purist', I would connect my OPPO BDP-95 via the analogues directly into my power amp.....and nobody here has tried this? The Audiolab 8200 CD Player must be very similiar and used as a source/pre-amp is rivetting some will say :)
  22. BrianMW

BrianMW Active Member

Ratings:
    +389
    Since the very first day my 93 arrived and I told my mate it has a variable volume he has been banging on about putting it direct to my Arcam P7 Power amp... But I think I am wary of this.

Back in the day I had older CD players that I put direct into Quad Power Amps and used the Denon CD's variable out's, sounded great! but Blu-Ray Players have very complex operating systems that fall over from occasion and sometimes stutter and things like that changing disc types or media types...

The thought of the Oppo getting accidentally confused one day and sending 100% volume in error even for a split second through the power amp scares the cr*p out of me! :eek:

Not most for the new speakers I'd have to buy but the eardrums I'd need too ;) so I will stick with the pre-amp/processor in-between for now even if it is loosing something very slightly :smashin:
  23. Berties

Berties New Member

Ratings:
    +606
    I still wouldn't. In case you get any digital click noise. If you don't mind risking your treble drivers.
  24. ti33er

ti33er Member

Ratings:
    +122
    Ok, thanks for the heads'up! ...think I will hold onto my Audiolab 8000AP then :)

...was toying with ditching my 8000AP and getting a 93 NXE with the proceeds.
  25. Welwynnick

Welwynnick Active Member

Ratings:
    +800
    That's what I have done with my NuForce 83 and Oppo 95. It works fine, and sounds better than connection via 8000AP, which adds a bit of muddle and loses some projection and drive (not a lot mind, but its still worth avoiding).

You just have to be careful.

Nick
  26. ti33er

ti33er Member

Ratings:
    +122
    Thanks Nick. I did read somewhere that OPPO DACs degrade below 80% volume though, do you think this is horse$ht? ;-)

Another person said that dynamics suffered when directly connected...which I find hard to believe, that a preamp makes the Source sound better!?!?

Cheers
    Paul
  27. Berties

Berties New Member

Ratings:
    +606
    Not just oppo DAC's but generally all, what happens is a pre-amp reduces the higher gain from fixed level, which is better than just sending low level signal at adjustable output DAC level with distortion straight into a poweramp.
  28. ti33er

ti33er Member

Ratings:
    +122
    hmmm it is a confusing topic - some people have said it sounds AMAZING on all volume levels and insist on this method it is the only device you are pairing with your power amp....others have said they lose 'dynamics' in every instance and pre-amp is superior? ...who to believe (without trying it on oneself) ?

I figure at 80% DAC volume and beyond (how loud is that in reality!?!?) it should be the better sound as there is nothing in the middle to introduce any variation of the pure signal?

Can one buy a simple variable volume 7.1 Analogue passthrough with minimal circuitry as so not to corrupt the signal? - Kevin (AudioCellar) reckons Digital Volume control is never as good as Analogue, which most HT preamps have, is Digital.
  29. cribeiro

cribeiro Active Member

Ratings:
    +313
    I thought the Audiolab 8000AP has a digitally controlled analog volume, which is the reason for its 5.1 analog input "transparency".
  30. ti33er

ti33er Member

Ratings:
    +122
    I found this, but it is butt-ugly: MSB DACs