Home Entertainment & Technology Resource

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Oppo BDP-93 Networking Universal Blu-ray Player - Part 4

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players' started by smjohns, Dec 28, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. iamnorbert

iamnorbert Member

Ratings:
    +2
    Hello everyone.

Also having a problem with Gladiator on my BDP-95 - it pauses on a black screen after all of the warning messages have run. Same with Back To The Future, which is also a Universal disc. Not had any problems with these discs prior to the latest firmware upgrade.

Happy new year.
  2. HorseyMan

HorseyMan Member

Ratings:
    +1
    I'm in Australia but my 93 is the US model running US firmware. No problem running "Back to the Future" here. I'm pretty sure the Oz disc is exactly the same as the UK disc (it even has UK classifications on it), so this might be a problem specific to the EU firmware.
  3. jwsg

jwsg Member

Ratings:
    +53
    ...and others Oppo BDP-93 Networking Universal 3D Blu-ray Player - Page 62 - Blu-ray Forum

Did this show up in the Beta?

Happy New Year to all.
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  4. iamnorbert

iamnorbert Member

Ratings:
    +2
    Thanks for the link. Unfortunately, I hadn't been brave enough to try the beta firmware.

There's some discussion on that forum, and also on avsforum, about the multi-region mod having something to do with the problem but my player isn't modified. I've tried cycling BD-Live on and off and clearing the persistant storage as suggested in other posts but without any success.

Its certainly not all Universal discs that are affected though because my Back to The Future II and Bourne Identity work absolutely fine.

It does seem to be a common enough problem to give me hope that Oppo will need to fix it (it must be something they changed in the last firmware upgrade). Fingers crossed.
  5. Carcrashboy

Carcrashboy Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Not sure if this covered elsewhere but does the'Pan & Scan' facility remove the issue of Letterbox vision from Blu Ray discs?

Here,s hopeing.....
  6. jwsg

jwsg Member

Ratings:
    +53
    Could you clarify Letterbox vision?
  7. Carcrashboy

Carcrashboy Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Where you get black lines top and bottom of the TV screen, so not maximising your new flatscreen TV
  8. jwsg

jwsg Member

Ratings:
    +53
    Zoom options are covered in pages 34-36 of the manual which is on the Oppo UK site. "Full screen" will probably do what you require. It goes without saying that many here would not recommend this approach.

"Pan and scan" more commonly refers to the selection of a 4:3 viewing area from a widescreen movie on an old 4:3 TV broadcast.

The 16:9 Wide option will attempt to stretch a 4:3 DVD to remove the pillarboxing but does a noticeably worse job subjectively than a Sony TV or blu-ray.
  9. jwsg

jwsg Member

Ratings:
    +53
    If AV, AVS, and BD forums aren't enough there is also OPPO | Facebook where you might get an answer from Oppo.

The problem with EU Universal discs is there for example, confirming it's for EU support to sort out.
  10. michdys

michdys Member

Ratings:
    +2
    Hi, I'm still on the latest beta and my UK 2-disc version of Gladiator (the latest "corrected" edition with Pocket Blu) plays perfectly on my 95EU ! BD-live is off (I'm not even connected to a network) and my player hasn't been modified for multi-region playback.

So apparently there is a difference between the latest beta and the latest official firmware, in spite of the fact that Oppo UK states : "If you have installed the public beta version during the week of December 5, there is no need to reinstall the firmware."

Very weird. I guess I will not upgrade to the latest official firmware...

BTW, I tried House 7 (also Universal) and it also plays without a problem.
  11. dante01

dante01 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +4,603
    Did you remember to reset your player to its factory defaults after applying the official/final update release? Oppo recommend doing this each and every time a player is updated.
  12. michdys

michdys Member

Ratings:
    +2
    Sure, I did the factory reset after installing the latest beta. I always do, and I remember very well because I hate to always re-enter my settings ;)

Until now, it seems that every Oppo firmware update fixes many things but in the same time breaks a few other things... the former official firmware had a bug preventing fast forward or reverse of FLAC files at more than 1x speed, very annoying because the player would skip to the next or previous track, but that was fixed in the latest beta.
    So for now I will keep the beta until a bug-free firmware is released !
  13. Violator

Violator Member

Ratings:
    +8
    'Letterbox' as you put it is how the film is meant to be seen. Pan & Scan, or Zooming the image will only lose you a % of the visible image i.e. it will cut off the side visuals, although it will 'fill' your screen.

Not the best idea if you really want to make use of a widescreen TV.
  14. Alps

Alps Member

Ratings:
    +72
    For the first time last night I played a standard definition DVD (had the urge to re-watch Lock Stock and 2 smoking barrels). Unfortunately the 93 had major lip sync issues.

I then played another 2 SD DVD's and both had issues - not as severe as Lock Stock, but minor lip sync issues.

I then played a blu ray to make sure it wasn't my amp playing up, but the BR was perfect.

What can I do to solve this issue please?
  15. Owen Smith

Owen Smith Member

Ratings:
    +86
    What is your setup? Eg. is audio decoding being done in Oppo, or HDMI/coax to an amp? Any video processors in circuit?
  16. BrianMW

BrianMW Active Member

Ratings:
    +389
    Does it do this if you swap to the alternate HDMI port?
  17. Ideal AV

Ideal AV Well-Known Member Assured Advertiser

Ratings:
    +2,018
    not that i`ve watched many dvd`s but from memory none had lipsync issues, I would have noticed if they had

have you done a recent fw update, if so have you remembered to reset to factory defaults

if not maybe a fw update could cure it

also which hdmi are you using, beaten to it :D

Allan
  18. Alps

Alps Member

Ratings:
    +72
    Thanks guys.

I'm using my Onkyo to do the decoding.

I haven't tried changing the HDMI ports. Rather than removing the first HDMI cable, which runs to my amp, can I just use the 2nd HDMI port and run this straight to the TV?

Also, I have to take a full note of all my current settings before updating to the latest FW as I don't want to lose the settings.
  19. BrianMW

BrianMW Active Member

Ratings:
    +389
    Yes you could run a second HDMI lead to the TV but remember it is only HDMI 1 that uses the Marvell QDEO II processor so this is the one best used for video and if running 2 HDMI's its then best to use the second port for audio to the amp.

I asked you to swap them to test as the QDEO chip will be doing the decoding and scaling for your SD DVD, this might have brought some lip-synch issues (although I haven't seen this myself) but an easy test would have been to swap to HDMI 2 for a quick test, if it's the same then it is most likely from going through the processor.

It would maybe be best to test this before upgrading the F/W if it's still the same then maybe update... I haven't updated to the latest F/W as there has been some incompatibility with EU Blu Ray menu systems from Universal that Oppo are aware of on the latest F/W...
  20. Anders B

Anders B Member

Ratings:
    +2
    ...Same issue here with both of my 2 Oppo 93EU players. Only one has the region free mod. After installing the latest fw they do not play Universal discs anymore when BD live and ethernet is off.
    I hope we will get a firmware fix..
  21. Papa Moo

Papa Moo Member

Ratings:
    +3
    Has anyone else got an noisy oppo 93 get constant disc drive noise when watching sd dvd Fargo and notice on other films also main reason i went for one of these was reviews stating it was virtually silent i'm about 9ft away and can hear it so now i have a noisy oppo to go with my noisy hd-xe1.
    I've been getting loading problems too had a real nightmare with kung fu panda 2 had to complete power down twice to get it to load
  22. BrianMW

BrianMW Active Member

Ratings:
    +389
    Sounds like a faulty drive to me maybe? mine is 'as the reviews say' almost silent and I am super fussy about noisy equipment, only reason I didn't get the 95 was the cooling fan!

I have the Fargo DVD and no noise comes from it at all when playing, I have my system in a pretty small room too so sit fairly close, I would notice, compare it to another if possible or talk to your retailer if you think it is making more noise than it should. As I say it's one of the many plus points to this machine it's operating noise :smashin:
  23. Papa Moo

Papa Moo Member

Ratings:
    +3
    I need to be sure i'm very fussy too when it comes to noise i pick up on everything and once i hear it i can't ignore it.
    I don't really want to send it back just to find out its me being fussy i dont know how to describe the sound without sounding like an idiot but the sound is like air being forced out of the disc tray and a consant whirling along with dull hums. I cant find any post for nosiey oppo 93 so maybe it is faulty
  24. Mark Grant

Mark Grant Member

Ratings:
    +177
    I would suggest to speak to your dealer as the OPPO 93 are normally very quiet.
  25. Damian1978

Damian1978 Active Member

Ratings:
    +235
    I notice my 651BD (Oppo innards) struggles with some Universal discs. Any tips to get them playing?

Have no ethernet access at the mo so should BD Live and networking be switched off?

Will try and get a contact for Cambridge Audio and badger them!
  26. smjohns

smjohns Member

Ratings:
    +28
    @ Damian1978
    It might be better for you to post up this as either a separate thread or check for a similar Cambridge 651BD owners thread. First thing to check is that you are running the latest firmware on your device so head over to the Cambridge Audio site and check the version numbers. All discs should play without ethernet connection but if you don't have it then it is worth disabling these menu options so that at least it won't waste any time trying and will disable these features on bluray discs.
  27. Damian1978

Damian1978 Active Member

Ratings:
    +235
    Thanks for the reply.

Couldn't really find a thread on here for the 651BD so was being cheeky by tagging on here.

Have the latest (923) firmware for it but will try disabling options first.

If you don't mess about with any options they sometimes play fine. Other times the menus corrupt.

Bit weird
  28. gadget man

gadget man Member

Ratings:
    +10
    I had a problem with this disc, i emailed oppo they are aware of this and will be a future firmware to correct this problem.
  29. BrianMW

BrianMW Active Member

Ratings:
    +389
    Hi All,

A friend was impressed with the Oppo's streaming abilities the other day and it's abilities to play so many file types but he dropped one off for me that it couldn't...

The file is a WMA Pro 5.1 24/96KHz one, the Oppo see's the file and tries to play it but then goes back a step, the Oppo can play standard WMA files but after looking through the wiki's it appears it can't play WMA pro files yet.

This isn't a huge problem for me as this is the only WMA file i have and am unlikely to get any more but does anybody know of a tool that will convert this file to another(Oppo friendly) without loosing it's rate/channels? I tried a few last night and although some said they would I ended up with 2 channels.

The program/utility needs to be free as I will not likely use tit again :) All suggestions welcomed, thanks :thumbsup:
  30. smjohns

smjohns Member

Ratings:
    +28
    @BrianMW
    Can the file be converted to something more compatible?

@Damian1978
    Definitely report the disc incompatibilities to Cambridge Audio so that they can fix this in a future firmware update.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.