Home Entertainment & Technology Resource

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Oppo BDP-93 Networking Universal Blu-ray Player - Part 4

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players' started by smjohns, Dec 28, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BrianMW

BrianMW Active Member

Ratings:
    +389
    Connect the Oppo directly to the TV (temporary) and try, if it works OK then the settings are within the passthrough of video in your AVR...

I don't know much info on your AVR though, perhaps someone else with a similar model can advise on this?
  2. Ideal AV

Ideal AV Active Member Assured Advertiser

Ratings:
    +1,952
    lets get this clear

you have the OPPO connected to your 509 onkyo in the bd/dvd input 1, using the OPPO HDMI 1 socket?

is this correct.

if so I can`t understand why you have AVR return on the Samsung set to send audio back to your Onkyo:confused:

I have similar components-ish

OPPO 93-95 connected via single HDMI cables to my Onkyo 5509 processor, this then feeds my Samsung D8000 plasma and what ever projector I have on at the time

Onkyo set to through, OPPO set to 16.9 Auto /Wide, Samsung set to Auto

and its all fine :smashin:
  3. Owen Smith

Owen Smith Member

Ratings:
    +86
    Probably for sound when watching TV I suspect. The only other way would be an optical lead from the TV back to the AVR.
  4. demented_uk

demented_uk Member

Ratings:
    +21
    Thanks for all your suggestions. I have had a mess around and think I've found the problem. The three files I tried don't seem to be flagged correctly. I have tried other files in 2.35 and they have played fine. I'm going to try and remux them to see if they make a difference.
  5. demented_uk

demented_uk Member

Ratings:
    +21
    Yep, that's why I have it setup like that. I did use optical but am now using AVR. If only the Samsung TV could send the correct surround sound signal back to the amp.
  6. golden phoenix

golden phoenix Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,376
    hi, is there any news on the successor of the oppo 93? i beleive oppo bring out new machines every 2 years rather than every 12 months?
  7. Ideal AV

Ratings:
    +1,952

so with that in mind we may see a successor in January 2013 :smashin:
  8. Owen Smith

Owen Smith Member

Ratings:
    +86
    Wouldn't it be more relevant for Oppo to bring out a new machine when there's a need? The 93/95 added 3D support, surely there's no need for a replacement until something else gets added to the standards?
  9. golden phoenix

Ratings:
    +1,376
    yeah couldnt remember whether or not the oppos came out last year or the year before!...im not really bothered about having a new model number..and i know that with the firmware support you are effectively getting an upgraded machine..but i didnt want to purchase the 93 if a new model was around the corner you see.
  10. discover

discover Member

Ratings:
    +76
    Okay I'm confused.
    4 out of 5 MKV files with DTS HD MA audio freeze the machine after 5 minutes of playback yet "21 Grams", the same 1080p MKV with DTS-HD MA played back perfectly ????
  11. jwsg

jwsg Member

Ratings:
    +52
    As you will find mentioned on this and other threads MKV is not a suitable container for HD audio on the Oppo. Explore M2TS instead, the loss of chapter points being the downside.
  12. Ideal AV

Ratings:
    +1,952
    jan 5th 2011 saw the first 93`s going out to customers :smashin:
  13. BandofBrothers

BandofBrothers Active Member

Ratings:
    +177
    Now my home AV system is all completed - I have been watching a few blurays on my BDP-93 - and have noticed it can get quite warm at times - has anyone else experienced this?

There is only about 1cm space above the unit and about 4-5 cm behind it in the av unit - do I really need to give it more space than this? to be honest, I didn't expect it to get all that warm....

I may have to lower the shelf and give the amp slightly less room (this doesn't seem to get warm at all anyway) - Marantz SR5006.

Mine has been modified to allow all region bluray playback - and I haven't updated the firmware since I got it (approx 8 months ago) - is there any risk of anything bad happening by updating the FW on a modified player?

Thanks as usual for any help:smashin:
  14. LX200GPS

LX200GPS Member

Ratings:
    +17
    I wouldn't worry too much about it – mine is also in a cupboard and lies underneath a pvr – as hi-fi/av units are designed to run warm. However, if you think you can fry an egg on it then I'd start worrying. I too have a Marantz amp and when watching discs I leave the cabinet doors open for ventilation, just in case.
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  15. BandofBrothers

BandofBrothers Active Member

Ratings:
    +177
    My unit doesn't have front doors, so it does have plenty of air from the front - I guess I was just getting a bit paranoid.

I have moved the shelf down a peg, so the amp still has over an inch above it, and doesn't run very warm at all anyway - and the the oppo/ps3 now have 3 inches or so above them and I have also pulled them forward a little to give them a bit more room around the back.
  16. golden phoenix

Ratings:
    +1,376
    sorry about a repeat question ... the multiregion machines does the bluray region selection happen..does it just play automatically or do you have to switch via remote or some other method of switching?
  17. BrianMW

BrianMW Active Member

Ratings:
    +389
    I think it depends on the actual mod for zone free blu-ray used but the most common seems to be the pro mod that the Oppo dealers are using and that says:

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  18. ti33er

ti33er Member

Ratings:
    +119
    I finally got a refund on my NXE as I had persistent glitching problems with it. To be fair NuForce did offer me a replacement machine, but as good as it was the risk of Customs penalty every time gave me cold feet this round.

With that I am seriously considering buying a BDP-95 as these can be enhanced potentially to an even higher standard than the NXE (I would do this in future once I knew the machine was stable and warranty is not really an issue to set the record straight, friends and Dealers alike), but within regard to a recent comment about new models; in my case 9 months is not too far away considering that I hardly get the time to listen to music with our baby around....has anyone heard anything legitimate regarding OPPO R&D before I make a heavy investment in audio again?
  19. jwsg

jwsg Member

Ratings:
    +52
    New offical firmware up for US players but not for us yet. More fixes than the current Beta, including the DTS 6.1 LPCM and 720p IQ problems. No ISO of course.
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  20. Daverey

Daverey Member

Ratings:
    +52
    Hi ti33er this months Home Cinema Choice magazine (may 206 ) has a review of PRIMARE BD32 based on the OPPO 93. Gets a great review awarded reference status,only trouble £3,500.
  21. Rickyj @ Kalibrate

Rickyj @ Kalibrate Active Member Assured Advertiser

Ratings:
    +1,014
    Don't forget that the 95 was released after the 93, so you could be waiting over a year for a 95 replacement;)
  22. ti33er

ti33er Member

Ratings:
    +119
    If only OPPO would start a trade-up program!! :) ...I love the OPPO machines but feel the media interface could do with some work (as others on this Forum heckle with me as to Dune etc. being better).....I'll bet that improved Interface is reserved for the next batch of models ...argh, what to do - I wish this subject had not of been mentioned now, and over a year is a bit of a wait lol
  23. MeanDorris

MeanDorris Active Member Assured Advertiser

Ratings:
    +364
    New official OPPO Firmware released.

Click here for release notes.
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  24. discover

discover Member

Ratings:
    +76
    I thought it didn't support lossless audio in an MKV container? It either works or it doesn't right?
    I can't understand how 21 grams played perfectly fine with not a single audio dropout or anything.
  25. dante01

dante01 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +4,559
    They've still not resolved the issue relating to the series 2 BD boxset of "Being Human" and the lack of menu options appearing. It took Sony two weeks to fix this on their players. I've been in touch with Oppo on two occasions about this and there's been 3 firmware updates since my initial report!

Yeah, great support, if you live in the USA. :mad:
    Last edited: Mar 8, 2012
  26. MJeeves

MJeeves Active Member

Ratings:
    +176

Anyone know if the pro-kit 'multi-region' and 'multi-zone' is effected by this firmware update? :confused:
  27. AndrewH13

AndrewH13 Active Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Ratings:
    +1,330
    Is this likely to be any different from the last beta?

I only decided to upgrade last night and have just put all settings back after a factory reset. Settings twice in two days or do I just turn off notification?
  28. jwsg

jwsg Member

Ratings:
    +52
    It's not a suitable container because it's not supported by Oppo/Mediatek for HD audio and exactly because it may or may not work. Simply remux the MKV video and HD audio into an M2TS.

As I mentioned above it's quite different from the Beta with a stack of additonal fixes that seem to answer bugs that I've seen mentioned over some time. We also get improved PAL de-interlace. There aren't new features as such, not surprising as we head towards its 18mth birthday.

It's pretty scary just how many disk problems there are with Oppo, with a few more in posts above.
  29. AndrewH13

AndrewH13 Active Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Ratings:
    +1,330
    Thanks. Bad timing on my part then having waited 3 months before deciding! Have to do another reset.
  30. MJeeves

MJeeves Active Member

Ratings:
    +176
    Anyone know if the new firmware effects the multi-region and multi-zone mods? :confused:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.