Oppo BDP-93 Networking Universal Blu-ray Player - Part 4

Status
Not open for further replies.
No
If he want to save ISO playback that is he can do ISO, therefore he can do an ISO with L & T and then play back via the BDP93 ...

JojoBar said:
No
If he want to save ISO playback that is he can do ISO, therefore he can do an ISO with L & T and then play back via the BDP93 ...

Not sure what you mean?

If Lighty can't play L&T and doesn't want to upgrade due to ISO reading capability, he can do an ISO with this disc and maybe can read the ISO via BDP-93 ?

New to the party so was wondering is there some sort of chart of the optimal settings to use on Oppo-BDP93?

Time to expand storage space for use with my Oppo, which USB powered 2TB HDD are you using ?

Time to expand storage space for use with my Oppo, which USB powered 2TB HDD are you using ?

Jase

get a WD Elements one, they just work, run cool and are silent

Allan

Hi Mark

I read that to mean usb and powered, sorry

Jase

no need for pm, do anyone do a 2tb usb only powered drive?, if so tell me about one :grin

The real problem is a simple electrical one. 3.5" drives require upwards of 2.7A at 12V to get started. USB power can only provide 1 to 1.5A at 5V. When multiplied up to 12V, the current load on the 5V bus would be over 6A which no USB system can take. Thus the external power supply.
If you look real hard, you might find a 1TB 2.5" drive (I think WD has one) you could put in your own case (Macally has a nice one) that would be powered by the USB 5V bus. 2.5" drives take less than 25% of the power required by their 3.5" brothers. For example, a Seagate Momentus 5400RPM drive only requires 1A on the 5V bus to start and run, and requires 5V only. A USB port can handle that easily. At the moment, you are limited to 1TB, but more later, no doubt.

Last edited:
Hi chaps,

I have the CA 651BD player (essentially the BDP93). The CA751BD comes with the USB Wifi adaptor and they both share the same firmware.

Anyone know where I can purchase the Oppo USB Wifi adaptor? Would be cool to use the networking facilities :)

If you look real hard, you might find a 1TB 2.5" drive (I think WD has one) you could put in your own case (Macally has a nice one) .

The WD blue 2.5" bare drive is available in 1TB, it just needs a case :)

WD Scorpio Blue

Western Digital Scorpio Blue 1TB 2.5" Notebook Hard Drive - WD10TPVT - Scan.co.uk

Western Digital WD10TPVT 1TB 2.5" Hard Drive.. | Ebuyer.com

The Samsung external 2.5" cased drives are good, and available in 1TB
SAMSUNG 1TB M2 PORTABLE USB2.0 EXTERNAL HDD BLACK | Ebuyer.com

Seagate do a 1.5 TB 2.5" USB 3.0 bus powered
Seagate 1.5TB Expansion Portable Hard Drive - USB 3.0.. | Ebuyer.com

It might not be long before 2TB are available :)

Hi chaps,
I have the CA 651BD player (essentially the BDP93). The CA751BD comes with the USB Wifi adaptor and they both share the same firmware.

Anyone know where I can purchase the Oppo USB Wifi adaptor? Would be cool to use the networking facilities

i`d try getting in touch with one of the dealers, one of them might just have a spare one going cheap (ish) ;)

Last edited:
Has anyone got a copy of the old firmware that they could send me please?

Has anyone got a copy of the old firmware that they could send me please?

You do know that you cannot revert back to a previous firmware version if you've applied a newer one?

You do know that you cannot revert back to a previous firmware version if you've applied a newer one?

A very stupid feature in my opinion. It is asking for trouble not to be able to go back.

A very stupid feature in my opinion. It is asking for trouble not to be able to go back.

not really. it's perfectly common among software, especially firmware.

When you write a new firmware, it's very easy to make sure you write the code such that it can handle any temporary files/pointers/dynamic links that may be created by older firmwares, cause you know what they were. Older firmwares have no idea what may be contained by new firmwares and if they encounter something they don't know how to handle can lock up and brick your machine.

Sure you can work around this, but rather than take the risk of bricked machines a lot of hardware designers won't let you go back. i have 4 firmware upgradable devices in my rack, none of them can go back to an older firmware, all can only be updated to new

not really. it's perfectly common among software, especially firmware.

When you write a new firmware, it's very easy to make sure you write the code such that it can handle any temporary files/pointers/dynamic links that may be created by older firmwares, cause you know what they were. Older firmwares have no idea what may be contained by new firmwares and if they encounter something they don't know how to handle can lock up and brick your machine.

Sure you can work around this, but rather than take the risk of bricked machines a lot of hardware designers won't let you go back. i have 4 firmware upgradable devices in my rack, none of them can go back to an older firmware, all can only be updated to new
I agree that it is common not to go back with firmware. However It could be easy to re-flash to an older firmware without hanging the machine. All the pointers and dynamic links could have default values. Old computer were able to upgrade the BIOS, backup the current and go back if needed. Once the firmware is in memory it should be able to write to the chip and reboot the machine.

Oppo say it's a Netflix requirement -- I guess if someone were to find a way to capture their streams they'd want to be able to patch the firmware and make sure nobody could install the older compromised firmware.

Oppo say it's a Netflix requirement -- I guess if someone were to find a way to capture their streams they'd want to be able to patch the firmware and make sure nobody could install the older compromised firmware.

Given I have no interest in running Netflix this is irrelevant as far as I am concerned. But then so is removing ISO support but Oppo still did it. Damned evil companies dictating to us consumers what we may and may not do with equipment we have paid for. One day the boot will be on the other foot and these companies had better watch out.

I agree that it is common not to go back with firmware. However It could be easy to re-flash to an older firmware without hanging the machine. All the pointers and dynamic links could have default values. Old computer were able to upgrade the BIOS, backup the current and go back if needed. Once the firmware is in memory it should be able to write to the chip and reboot the machine.

Quite. I write firmware for a living, and any of our products can have any version of software downloaded from the earliest which supported that hardware to the very latest at any time.

Owen Smith said:
Given I have no interest in running Netflix this is irrelevant as far as I am concerned. But then so is removing ISO support but Oppo still did it. Damned evil companies dictating to us consumers what we may and may not do with equipment we have paid for. One day the boot will be on the other foot and these companies had better watch out.

That day is here and now, you don't have to buy the product. It is not like you don't have any choice, or there isn't any competition. This is not like Oppo is the milk producer in the world and some evil empire.

They are a small'ish producer as they are and consumer choice makes a difference today.

Quite. I write firmware for a living, and any of our products can have any version of software downloaded from the earliest which supported that hardware to the very latest at any time.

group i work with develops our own firmware as well. i agree it can be done, and said so above. but my point was if you look at the vast majority of consumer electronics, from phones to blu-ray players, they do not let you backwards, for firmware, os or anything else.

while my agreement/disagreement on whether it is correct or not is a mute point, i guess i just thought calling something which is the norm in the industry a "stupid feature" was a bit odd

Just goes to show how Oppo are now trying to become a main stream producut/brand like Sony and are letting the big boys tell them what to do now and to follow suit...what a shame :rolleyes:

i guess i just thought calling something which is the norm in the industry a "stupid feature" was a bit odd
I think that stupid here might not be used literally. I think that it is more like annoying or a feature which is done no thinking in the Consumer but in the money making big corps. It is the norm but it does not mean that it cannot be "stupid". In my opinion the region coding of DVD is a stupid feature nevertheless it is the norm. I do not think that there is a single consumer that benefit from this norm. In the same token the constant changing of the Blu-Ray Authoring that we have a perfectly legal disc that the player cannot play.

Any how I guess if someone is feeling adventurous they could always use a binary editor and change the version number of an older firmware to fool the player. Amen of the consequences that this might do to the player.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom