1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Oppo BDP-93 Networking Universal Blu-ray Player - Part 4

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players' started by smjohns, Dec 28, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. gadget man

gadget man Member

Ratings:
    +10
    You bet me to it :)
  2. Har-One

Har-One Member

Ratings:
    +235
    I understand the ripping side of it and the changing of the menus. However once one needs to burn the disc back then it defeat the play ISO bit. Needless to say that having two optical copies is not a solution to slim down the collection in a nit simple container. The only real alternative will be .mkv or similar, until the studios force them to remove that support as well.
  3. dejongj

dejongj Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +4,356
    No you miss the point :) this was regarding a disc that doesn't work. So if you want to avoid upgrading the firmware such that you can maintain compatibility it is an option. Whether you choose to burn back to disc or not is optional :)
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  4. Owen Smith

Owen Smith Member

Ratings:
    +85
    I've got some VIDEO_TS folders, generally copies of my brother's camcorder footage. I assumed the Oppo would be able to play them as if on a DVD but I can't get it to work. I've tried putting them on a USB stick and on a BBD-RE (bu-ray rewritable) but the same happens in both cases. I can play each .vob individually but there is no seamless playback of the entire disc. I thought the Oppo could do this, what am I doing wrong?

I don't really want to burn them to DVD, I can fit far more of them on a single blu-ray and then there are hard discs if I choose to go that way.
  5. MarkE19

MarkE19 Moderator

Ratings:
    +2,025
    I agree that the Oppo is the main (only?) choice for doing everything you mention, but if you don't need DVD-A/SACD replay then a Dune Max or Smart D1 media player is a far better streamer as it uses SMB or NFS rather than relying on DLNA. It can also have the BluRay drive made region/zone free with a simple software patch that can be downloaded for free.

Mark.
  6. peterjcat

peterjcat Member

Ratings:
    +37
    The Oppo has never been able to play VIDEO_TS folders as DVDs (unlike BDMV folders with BDs), only DVD ISOs -- so you'd have to use Imgburn or similar to make an ISO, copy to USB stick or hard drive, and don't update the Oppo firmware!
  7. Owen Smith

Owen Smith Member

Ratings:
    +85
    Let me see if I understand this. The Oppo can play BDMV folder structures from disc or USB stick, but can't do the same thing with VIDEO_TS folders? That's nuts! It's the same functionality, one for Blu Rays and the other for DVDs. Supporting one but not the other makes no sense.

As it happens I haven't updated my firmware, but only because the previous release broke many discs and the new one is in beta. I probably won't update until I find I need to.

OK ISO images of DVDs on a BD-RE here I come... (daft concept).
  8. Owen Smith

Owen Smith Member

Ratings:
    +85
    This also means that with the newer firmware it is impossible to play any kind of direct copy of a DVD. If VIDEO_TS folders never worked (why?) and ISO playback is lost, then we're screwed. How are you supposed to copy a DVD onto hard disc? (yes I know the studios don't want me to, but my brother says it's fine for me to copy his camcorder footage).
  9. DJBlade

DJBlade Member

Ratings:
    +62
    Wow, these Dune media players look quite useful - do many of you Oppo 93/95 owners use them, had them or plan to own one ?

I'm "Very" interested in your thoughts .. ..
  10. MarkE19

MarkE19 Moderator

Ratings:
    +2,025
    I got my Oppo about a year ago, but have had my Dune for about 2 years. I find a use for both as the Dune can't play SACD/DVD-A but I use the movie wall to find a movie I want to watch on the Dune is so much easier than finding a physical disc or running through a list of text to find the film.

I intend to keep both as they each have their advanatages over the other. But if I had to choose just one then I would probably keep the Dune - sorry :blush:

Mark.
  11. sasso420

sasso420 Member

Ratings:
    +14
    I am thinking of getting an oppo 93 which I will be using with an Arcam 600. Are there any issues I should be aware of?

Thanks in advance.
  12. Trollslayer

Trollslayer Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,422
    Mark,
    can you hlep me with a question about Dune Smart and the Oppo 93?
    I have a B1 which is great but the video quality on Blu-ray is nowhere near as good as my Sony S760, mostly with fast moving scenes. How would you say the Oppo does on this kind of things vs. Dune?
  13. dante01

dante01 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +4,425
    Oppo have recently removed the player's ability to play ISO disk images of media. The second season Blu-ray of Being Human cannot be played because of an authoring problem with the Javascript menu. The Being Human issues has been apparent for at least the last 3 firmware revisions even though Oppo are aware of the issue. Either of these issues may or may not effect you???
  14. sasso420

sasso420 Member

Ratings:
    +14
    Thanks for the reply, I appreciate your time. The iso problem does not bother me, I am quite old fashioned in that regard as when I want to watch a film I just put the disc in the tray.

I briefly owned the arcam bdp 100 and could not get films to play in 24hz mode no matter what settings I changed (on the amp or player). I currently use a pioneer bdp 51fd and got it to work using the source direct option.

Are there any people who own the arcam 600 and oppo that have had any issues?
  15. peterjcat

peterjcat Member

Ratings:
    +37
    That's right. I think it kind of makes sense historically in that BDMV playback was a side-effect of AVCHD playback. But the end result is certainly nuts.

I'm also not certain that DVD ISOs on a BD will work as that's a disc within a disc, but you can test that yourself if you're using -REs.
  16. dante01

dante01 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +4,425
    You can store disk images on other discs or file systems so this means you can mount said images and there's no reason why they'd not function the same. I do this all the time with data files burnt within ISO disc images to UDF formatted optical media.
    Last edited: Feb 18, 2012
  17. peterjcat

peterjcat Member

Ratings:
    +37
    I know you can do it in general, I just haven't tried it on the Oppo.
  18. Owen Smith

Owen Smith Member

Ratings:
    +85
    I just have, and it doesn't work. I have a BD-RE with three .iso files containing VIDEO_TS structures and the Oppo attempts to play them and then says "Not supported format". The same disc has a Blu Ray BDAV folder structure in a sub-directory which again the Oppo attempts to play but then ejects the disc saying "Wrong disc". Sigh. Clearly the image support is not as generic as one might hope.

My 32GB USB stick is formatted Ext2 for use with a Humax HDR Fox T2 for copying HD video off the box. The Humax can't do that to NTFS, whereas the Oppo doesn't support Ext2 or Ext3 despite being Linux based. Grrr. We need a single standard disc format which handles large files.

So I'm back where I started, I can't play any of this stuff unless I blow electronic data to DVDs. The files are sat on my NAS in a perfectly good VIDEO_TS folder but the Oppo won't play them. I'm starting to get a bit annoyed here.

Would the Dune handle this ie. over the network play VIDEO_TS folder structures containing multiple .vob files (to be played seamlessly) and a DVD menu structure?
  19. dejongj

Ratings:
    +4,356
    So if you don't mind burning them to a BD-RE, why not burn them to a DVD then? You are one step away from making them useable?
  20. Owen Smith

Owen Smith Member

Ratings:
    +85
    Because I can get 5 times as many on BD-RE that's why.
  21. Damian1978

Damian1978 Active Member

Ratings:
    +232
    I can't use 24hz as my panel won't support it but on my CA 651BD (based on Oppo) but otherwise its totally fine with the AVR600 and a much better player than the BDP100 was/is.

You will have the issue with the AVR600 not fully displaying 24p material correctly though so may wanna bypass video direct to your TV which is easy with the Oppo :)
  22. dejongj

Ratings:
    +4,356
    And a DVD burns about one trillion times faster at 1/50 of the cost. So nett it will be exactly the same.
  23. BrianMW

BrianMW Active Member

Ratings:
    +388
    I'm sure you have probably done this but would it not be easier to convert these video_ts folders to another format that the Oppo can play easily like MKV or something?

If they are just camcorder footage and stuff then it's not like you will be missing the menus and the likes?

Just a thought ;)
  24. Har-One

Har-One Member

Ratings:
    +235
    The playback of ISO files from an optical disc is not supported. I can only assume that it might well be the way is implemented. To mount an image the system will need write permission in the mounting point which is not available in the optical disc. In computers will be the same the mounting point cannot be within an optical disc.

I do not know why OPPO does not support exFAT. However you could have an NTFS disk which can be written from a Linux machine, computer not Humax, and read by the OPPO. This is a bit more complicated but it is a workaround to avoid writing into an optical disc.
  25. MarkE19

MarkE19 Moderator

Ratings:
    +2,025
    I find the picture quality from BluRay discs is about the same from either Dune or Oppo, so can only assume the differences you see are due to the settings on the Dune :confused:
    Prior to getting the Dune I had a Sony BDP S500 and even comparing those side by side I could see no real difference between them with BluRay, so sold the Sony.

Mark.
  26. Har-One

Har-One Member

Ratings:
    +235
    To be honest, I do not think that there much difference when it comes to Blu-Ray players. The real advantange of the OPPO is when playing something else other that Blu-Ray and the extra features. When it comes to Blu-Ray the main advantage would be load times. If the player does not have a good enough processor then it may also affect the quality of the image but must BR players are good enough.
  27. Trollslayer

Ratings:
    +1,422
    I find quite a difference.
    For example with Goldmember textures show up more on my S760 and panning shots are smoother without having to set the TV so it blurs.
    The only annoying thing with Goldmember is now I can see where the rubber scar begins and ends on Dr. Evil's face. :D
  28. MarkE19

MarkE19 Moderator

Ratings:
    +2,025
    This is going off topic now so probably best to go over to the media players section to continue, but for now.....

If pan shots and fast movement judder then the most likely cause is that the Dune is not set to output at 23.976Hz. As long as your TV can work with 24p/23.976p then the above is what the Dune should be set to output. You can then set it to match the frame rate for any non 23.976p media.

Mark.
  29. Trollslayer

Ratings:
    +1,422
    Already done it. Artefacts ar better as well.
    BTW I am notoriously picky over things like this.
    Guess I fit in here. :blush:
  30. sasso420

sasso420 Member

Ratings:
    +14
    Thank you. Just out of interest what made you go for the cambridge audio over the oppo and what is the dvd playback like in comparison to your arcam 139? Could I expect any imprpvement over a pioneer dv989?
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.