Oppo BDP-93 Networking Universal Blu-ray Player - Part 4

Status
Not open for further replies.
Have to admit I was 2 minutes away from ordering my 93 until I saw that ISO compatability had been removed...may sound odd but that's a lost sale for them. Shame :(

I can understand that, it is a key differentiator in a close performing market. And whilst it may not have come from Oppo direct, the investigation of purchasing this player did include confirmed reports of being able to do this including those listed on retailers sites. Removing a real differentiator is not good. I hope I don't need further updates for discs I want to play, but it is leaving a sour taste from having purchased a more than average expensive player.

Absolutely!!! I would have been seriously gutted if I had just bought this player only to find a matter of weeks later I would have to lose a key (for me) functionality for access to new BR's.

I feel quite sorry for Oppo being at the beck-and-call of the corrupt fat cats of Hollywood...pretty much like everyone seems to be these days!! :(

I wouldn't quite call them corrupt fat cats, but I am surprised they fallen for such a simple measure that doesn't' do anything to combat piracy. Heck if anything, they should stop mkv's playing rather than ISO's in my opinion.

The Media Industry need to 'sell' digital copies hosted in online Libraries - people/pirates copy Bluray disks anyway, so they are not stamping the 'theft' issue out by doing this ISO ban!

Better for the environment to set up online accounts that they can hold the media on Cloud servers and stream your purchases to you forevermore.

The Media Industry need to 'sell' digital copies hosted in online Libraries - people/pirates copy Bluray disks anyway, so they are not stamping the 'theft' issue out by doing this ISO ban!

Better for the environment to set up online accounts that they can hold the media on Cloud servers and stream your purchases to you forevermore.

Yes, I would love to have a broadband connection where I could do such a thing. Unfortunately that is just not a reality for all.

Digital copies are a con anyway. The content labelled HD is far from being anything near the quality you'd get via Blu-ray and the audio is a joke. The people selling you these services would love you to believe that what they provide is just as good as what you get on a disc, but it isn't :thumbsdow

Digital copies are a con anyway. The content labelled HD is far from being anything near the quality you'd get via Blu-ray and the audio is a joke. The people selling you these services would love you to believe that what they provide is just as good as what you get on a disc, but it isn't :thumbsdow

Amen 😃 Long live the shiny disc!

Agreed 100%

I streamed an HD movie recently and OK it was 720p, not too bad but the sounds was stereo, had I chosen the SD version to stream I would have got DD 5.1, make sense of that! it cost £1 more for the so called HD version... I rarely do this and that experience doesn't convince me to keep trying... my Samsung TV recently got the Netflix app as an update and I set it up on a 30 day demo and I seen no quality there worth paying for either, I'd rather keep the subscription cash for the shiny disc too :smashin:

Well I meant the film studios ought to have their own with 1:1 Bluray quality - most lines can handle 10Mb per second

They can still offer BD as a disk should one not have Internet that is capable. :)

Well I meant the film studios ought to have their own with 1:1 Bluray quality - most lines can handle 10Mb per second

They can still offer BD as a disk should one not have Internet that is capable. :)

I've a 50Mb bb connection and still wouldn't want to be downloading Blu-ray sized files. They'll not offer it anyway because the average internet speed for the UK is still below 5Mb and they wont offer something that isn't going to appeal to the majority of their customers. I still don't see the option to download lossless audio files yet, let alone video files!

What are they going to do if 4K ever gets off the ground :confused::D

Last edited:
Hey guys,

Please don't hijack the thread for a discussion about the future of BD vs. video streaming. That's a very interesting topic (there was a similar discussion about the future of CD over in the music section), but the BDP-93 thread is long enough as it is even when we stick to device-related issues. Thanks!

That was it for me Expat, just venting over OPPO no longer supporting ISO!! Grrr

There is no difference in practice between an ISO and simply copying the disc as a file structure.
When an ISO is used it is mounted as a file system anyway.

Have to admit I was 2 minutes away from ordering my 93 until I saw that ISO compatability had been removed...may sound odd but that's a lost sale for them. Shame :(

thats really not the reason why you shouldn`t buy an OPPO, you should be buying one for its other capabilities which are great video and audio playback, its abilitiy to play SACD,FLAC,DVDA, CD, Bluray and a whole host of others things I can`t think of.

then theres silent running, build quality, a great service from a company who cares about its customers and who give a 2 year warranty with every unit.

Allan :smashin:

So what other player are you going to buy instead that has ISO playback? I'm not aware of any.

If you downloaded the update to your Oppo 93 directly over the network(Version BDP9xEU-61-1219) then it is most likely the one prior to this beta but sadly this previous F/W has issues with Universal Studio's blu titles and really needs the new one to resolve it.

Have other issues other than complete unplayability been reported for Universal Studio BDs with F/W BDP9xEU-61-1219? I tried watching Universal's "O Brother, Where Art Thou" last night (US BD with no region coding) but had to give up after ten minutes or so. The disc seemed to play all right, but out of nowhere a window popped up with a picture and title for the current chapter. No amount of button-pushing could make it go away again. On my old Sony player (BDP-S350 with original F/W) this issue doesn't occur. On that player, the small window with chapter info only appears when the player is asked to skip to the next chapter; it disappears within a few seconds.

In general I avoid beta F/W releases, but if there is any hope that the latest F/W will solve this problem, I would install it.

Owen Smith said:
So what other player are you going to buy instead that has ISO playback? I'm not aware of any.

None, you are right AFAIK. will leave it now.

thats really not the reason why you shouldn`t buy an OPPO, you should be buying one for its other capabilities which are great video and audio playback, its abilitiy to play SACD,FLAC,DVDA, CD, Bluray and a whole host of others things I can`t think of.

then theres silent running, build quality, a great service from a company who cares about its customers and who give a 2 year warranty with every unit.

Allan :smashin:

And to be fair, I don't believe ISO playback has ever been listed as a feature in the first place. It didn't even have DLNA support listed when it was first announced!

StumpyBloke said:
None, you are right AFAIK. will leave it now.

Dune HDs supports any format you throw at it via NFS/SMB with the exception of SACDs and 3D Blurays (for now) :)

Not starting anything, just suggesting that no BD/media player is perfect :)

probedb said:
And to be fair, I don't believe ISO playback has ever been listed as a feature in the first place. It didn't even have DLNA support listed when it was first announced!

There are people (like me) whom bought the Oppo 93 (knowing it does ISO and other formats) apart from the good analog outs because we did "too-much" research on the Internet and forums :)

Should I just look at advertised features next time I buy something? :(

There are people (like me) whom bought the Oppo 93 (knowing it does ISO and other formats) apart from the good analog outs because we did "too-much" research on the Internet and forums :)

Should I just look at advertised features next time I buy something? :(

So you want what exactly?

If it was found that the players explode would you also demand that feature even if it wasn't listed in the features? :D

Oppo have no choice in the matter, they remove the feature or have their players blacklisted by the movie studios and the rest of the industry as a whole. Are you saying that would be beneficial to everyone or just you because you want to access ISO files?

Its a set back and not what either Oppo or its customers want, but get over it because there's sod all you can do about it ;)

Last edited:
Oppo have no choice in the matter

Are you sure? Is it explicitly stated in the agreements that Oppo signed in order to join the BD Association (or whatever the Blu Ray version of the DVD Forum is)? Or is this just back room pressure from the studios which doesn't have the force of law or signed contracts? I realise Oppo probably couldn't afford the court case if they had to prove that ISO playback doesn't breach any contracts they've signed. But the difference is an important one legally.

so the options we have are. update firmware and loose ISO to gain compatibility with newer discs. or keep firmware and ISO and loose compatibility with newer discs.

think i'll be keeping ISO and rip main movie to ISO. saves on drive wear and tear to boot :) never mind getting rid of all those annoying adverts and menu ho-hum.

i'm bloody delighted with my oppo 93 for its build quality, quietness, picture quality and connectivity.

so the options we have are. update firmware and loose ISO to gain compatibility with newer discs. or keep firmware and ISO and loose compatibility with newer discs.

think i'll be keeping ISO and rip main movie to ISO. saves on drive wear and tear to boot :) never mind getting rid of all those annoying adverts and menu ho-hum.

i'm bloody delighted with my oppo 93 for its build quality, quietness, picture quality and connectivity.

Why not just update and lose the ability to play ISO files, but then get the same results by ripping your purchased Blu-ray titles without having to use disk images? There's nothing stopping you from doing this and disk inages in themselves offer no advantage over ripping a movie's file structure to a folder.

dante01 said:
Why not just update and lose the ability to play ISO files, but then get the same results by ripping your purchased Blu-ray titles without having to use disk images? There's nothing stopping you from doing this and disk inages in themselves offer no advantage over ripping a movie's file structure to a folder.

About 45GB per movie advantage it has ;) For me it is more about protecting my discs in the long run, and the convenience of having them "online". I think I will upgrade and just burn a copy back to bluray disc and use that. Well once I come across a movie that doesn't work for me. So far I seem to be ok.

What Allan said earlier is true though, it is still a fantastic player. I love it when I get the screen stating it might take a few minutes before the menu appears and it is there in a few seconds :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom