Home Entertainment & Technology Resource

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Oppo BDP-103& BDP-105

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players' started by Turlough, Sep 7, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mr Forgetful

Mr Forgetful Member

Ratings:
    +15
    Ahhh, is this why all my folders are not in alphabetical order???

Nightmare trying to find a film scrolling through a couple of hundred of them!!!
  2. Jonesthegas

Jonesthegas Member

Ratings:
    +13
    I am interested in the 103 but I believe BBC iPlayer and others are not available. Does anyone have any idea if and when for that and things like Lovefilm and the ITV equivalent?

Martin
  3. SLK320

SLK320 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Where did you find the file? Got a mail from Bluraychip saying it would be available today, but it still isn't. Can you please send me the file?
  4. Hellvis

Hellvis Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I have the BDP-105 and received the bluraychip pro mod but have no installation instructions and they haven't replied. So I haven't tried mine yet.
  5. NW3

NW3 Member

Ratings:
    +11
    What do you think of the audio performance either with ripped files or with those terribly old fashioned CD's ?
  6. vdevil

vdevil Member

Ratings:
    +0
    No i don't sned you this because its defect, he have delete the file, here the mail from bluraychip after my msg

Hello Florian

We are correcting errors in the firmware, and will soon have it available again.

Best regards,
    Sofie Angelstrom
  7. burtonpark

burtonpark Member

Ratings:
    +56
    Steaming help needed.

I've Been streaming netflix and vudu on my 103 perfectly, thought I'd try local network streaming. All my movies are rips to BDMV folders on WHS 2011, I can browse the native windows folders however I cant choose a file from the BDMV Playlist folder - so how do I get the entire movie to play ?
    Last edited: Dec 18, 2012
  8. burtonpark

burtonpark Member

Ratings:
    +56
    Just solved this...:smashin:seems recent firmware change means you need to place your BDMV folders under an AVCHD folder...making it incompatible with other players :rolleyes:...then it plays great...how ridiculous is that...I'll now need to write a script so I can use windows symbolic links to expose that arrangement.

On the upside picture quality is outstanding and for the first time ever i have menus back:p!
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  9. sapper

sapper Member

Ratings:
    +142
    Thanks for this clarification.

Like you I have my bl ray rips on several discs on my WHS 2011 server.

Adding that extra layer of directories could prove problematic to other software.

Do you have a HTPC as well?

Maybe we should start a separate chat/thread/pm to discuiss this in order not to hi-jack this thread?

Adrian
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  10. Stu V

Stu V Active Member

Ratings:
    +312
    Had my 103 for nearly 2 weeks and must say am very impressed with it, especially when I realised I wouldn't have to retire my WHS 2011 server as it would play all my mkv's & bluray rips. Always regretted selling my 83 and the picture quality is as good as I remember particularly with dvd's.

Had a few problems with setting up streaming as the Oppo couldn't see my mkv's or play any bluray rips even when placed in an AVCHD folder. A bit of searching and head scratching and finally managed to work it out :) so I am now a happy bunny. Now if someone could come up with a program like Zapitti or Yadis for the Oppo .........
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  11. defiant50

defiant50 Member

Ratings:
    +13
    Have read through about 10 pages of the owners thread but there does not seem to have been a direct comparison of the analogue performance of the Oppo 105 versus the 95 as a source for 2 channel (stereo) music. :confused:

Do the DACS on the 105 offer a big improvement over the 95? :smashin:
    Last edited: Dec 19, 2012
  12. potshot

potshot Member

Ratings:
    +121
    Same dacs
  13. Se7en

Se7en Member

Ratings:
    +58
    Hi all,

I want to stream Mkv files to my Oppo 103, i have a nas however it slows up on full 1080p streams so could i connect an external hdd? What is the largest Hdd the oppo will allow 1,2 or 3tb?
  14. Avi

Avi Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,088
    Is the implementation the same ?
  15. Ideal AV

Ideal AV Well-Known Member Assured Advertiser

Ratings:
    +2,022
    its early doors yet but their has been a review of the 105, as I understand it the same dacs are indeed used but inside the machines is another story.

the 95 has one large analogue board for both stereo and multichannel audio, this has XLR (stereo) and phono connections.

whereas the 105 has a dedicated board for both multichannel and stereo analogue audio outputs, basically its a completely different machine as in audio, its actually completely different fullstop, although the OPPO badge is the same :D

their should be someone on here to give you an opinion soon enough as a load went out on monday, as OPPO dealers opinion, of which I am one, are 100% completely biased :rotfl:

best wishes everyone

Allan :smashin:
  16. Mark Grant

Mark Grant Member

Ratings:
    +177
    Better power supply and completely different board layout though :)
  17. Avi

Avi Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,088
    "The Design

The BDP-105's analog audio sections are based on the proven design of the BDP-95. It uses the same ESS Sabre32 Reference DAC (ES9018) and same LM4562/LME49720 op-amps as in the BDP-95. The feature differences include (1) a built-in headphone amplifier based on the TPA6120A2 Hi-Fi headphone amp chip from Texas Instruments; (2) an asynchronous USB DAC input for computer audio use. It also has coaxial digital and Toslink optical inputs for use with other digital transports.

In order to add the headphone amp and the USB DAC, OPPO made some changes to the design. The BDP-95's stereo output stacks four DAC channels for each L/R output channel. The idea of the stacked DAC design is to increase the output current from the DAC so a smaller I/V conversion resistor can be used (a smaller resistor has lower thermal noise). When OPPO tried to utilize this design in the BDP-105, they found that the performance became worse. The additional input and output made it impossible to design an optimized PCB layout if they maintained the stacked DAC channels, so a non-stacked DAC channel design was implemented.

In the 105, there is one pair of DACs for the RCA output, one pair for the XLR, and two pairs stacked for the headphone amplifier. The new configuration minimizes interference and crosstalk. A higher value I/V resistor (1.2 kOhm compared to 430 Ohms in the BDP-95) had to be used, but by beefing up the power supply and separating the stereo and multi-channel boards, audiophile-grade performance was maintained."

OPPO BDP-105 Universal Player - Secrets of Home Theater and High Fidelity
    • Thanks Thanks x 2
  18. stucarblne

stucarblne Active Member

Ratings:
    +376
    I haven't seen one yet. But does the better psu translate to better/cleaner video also on this machine. Not like an audiocom upgrade obviously but even slightly ?. Or would it be audio improvements mainly ?
  19. Mark Grant

Mark Grant Member

Ratings:
    +177
    People have compared it's just that not everyone posts here.

One of my customers with both the 95 and a 105 on home trial kept the 105 and sold his 95 as after a week the difference was clear.

Another customer with both the 95 and 105 is giving his 'old' 95 to his son for Christmas, how nice is that :)

As always the only way to be sure is to try and make your own opinions.
    The Oppo 105 does appear to sound better after a week or so of use so give it time if not sure and swap between players if you have both.

Best not mention any of the high end CD players the 105 has been compared to in high end two channel systems as might cause arguments :devil:
  20. Avi

Avi Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,088
    What does that mean and how would it be objectively assessed ?
  21. burtonpark

burtonpark Member

Ratings:
    +56
    I do have an HTPC with lav filters,madvr, MPC, etc but always find I am having to fiddle with the pc drivers etc to get it to play HD without some glitch in either picture or sound or subtitle! Until recently I was a happy SageTV user...and found it great integrator of TV and rips, but that product is no longer being developed after the developer sold to google....and it did not integrate any online streaming services like netflix and vudu.
    My WHS server has 18x2Tb disks, with snapraid protection, and uses MyMovies and anydvd for the rips....thought I'd try to make my life simpler with the 103, and a sky and youview box....I think :rolleyes: I can create a work around for the the AVCHD nuisance...but starting to worry about the 103's cinavia protection and that ruling the 103 out as a problem free streamer. Does anyone have any experience of the cinavia and smb streaming?
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  22. stucarblne

stucarblne Active Member

Ratings:
    +376
    Well the 93/95 and now the 103/05 are known for their exceptionally clean video. And was wondering if the video perhaps on the 105 was somehow even cleaner because of the improved power supply over the 103.

As most people know the importance of a improved power supply and the massive benefits it can bring to audio especially - but also in a big way to video.

And was wondering if the power supply was relevant in the 105 for video as well of course audio more than anything...
  23. Avi

Avi Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,088
    I'm still not sure what you mean by clean. Via HDMI the 93/95 output near reference level data output in most schemes. Other players also achieve this and I'm not sure how this would be changed by the PSU in an end to end digital video chain. It's not possible to compare analogue component video output because these are omitted from 103/105.

Are there any credible examples of a before and after comparing
    a properly working in spec PSU with an upgraded PSU on video via HDMI in an end to end digital video chain. I've seen claims on some mod websites that about more vivid colour, whiter whites and blacker black. That should be pretty easy to measure.
  24. stucarblne

stucarblne Active Member

Ratings:
    +376
    It's alright Avi.

It was just a simple and basic question to begin with. Which has turned into something needlessly complex.

I was talking about fractions. If the 105 was "fractionally" cleaner. Not suggesting that there was a massive difference between the two machines because of a power supply with regard to video.

Me personally, i believe in power supply. I have seen the audiocom upgrade 93, compared to the 'standard'.. and believe me the difference (is) more than noticeable. But unless you had the two playing side by side on the same display it wouldn't matter. As the 93 is exceptional for video anyway. Myself wanted a 93, never quite got round to it - so will be going for the 103 soon, seeing it's here now. (But not the audiocom upgrade) :D... Unfortunately. But i will cope :laugh:

So you don't believe in a cleaner or linear power supply then ?
  25. Phil1975

Phil1975 Active Member

Ratings:
    +897
    I'm using a 2TB external hard drive and it picks it up without any problems.
    Most of my files are MKV format so far no problems.
  26. Avi

Avi Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,088
    It's ok I'm just not sure what you mean by "clean" as it applies to video via HDMI in an end to end digital video chain.

Out of curiosity what difference in video is more than noticeable.

Yes and no depending on the application.

I haven't observed a difference in video performance via HDMI in an end to end digital video chain based on different (operating to spec) PSU's. When Oppo employ linear PSU's it's been to feed the analogue audio stage not the primary digital circuit which uses a switch mode power supply and typically the primary digital circuit also employs additional noisy DC-DC converters embedded in the circuit.

It would be interesting to run an AVF event to compare/measure modded and standard players properly display chain calibrated under controlled conditions.
  27. Rickyj @ Kalibrate

Rickyj @ Kalibrate Active Member Assured Advertiser

Ratings:
    +1,014
    Some of this will become available once the roku stick becomes available to OPPO customers;)
  28. Member 623907

Member 623907 Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    It supports 3TB drives.
  29. bakerwi

bakerwi Member

Ratings:
    +2
    Same DACs but a different implementation. The 2 transports sound somewhat similar, but I do hear improvements in the BDP-105 over the BDP-95.

The BDP-105 sounded pretty good right out of the box, but the BDP-95 was a little bright based on memory, but did reach its peak after several weeks. The BDP-105s bass is a little tighter and has slightly higher resolution at the higher frequencies.

I purchased the BDP-105 not expecting a significant improvement in audio, but for the added features that it had over the BDP-95. The improvement in audio (while not significant) was a pleasant bonus. However, if not for the new features I would not have upgraded.:)

Both produce reference quality blu-ray playback and there is improvement in DVD PQ (at least this is what my eyes are telling me).

As you notice in my signature the BDP-95 is being sold.:)
  30. Hellvis

Hellvis Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Has any one bought the bluraychip pro mod kit for the BDP-105?
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.