Home Entertainment & Technology Resource

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Oppo BDP-103& BDP-105

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players' started by Turlough, Sep 7, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Turlough

Turlough Member

Ratings:
    +22
  2. dalethecaptain

dalethecaptain Member

Ratings:
    +41
    I had borrowed an Arcam BDP300 and I was about to pull the trigger and buy it until I saw these taster pics.

Very interested in the possible fan-less operation, and the input connections to use the unit as a DAC coupled with all the other stuff that the BDP300 does not do and will not likely do in the near future, I am going to hold off a little longer.

Looking forward to hearing more about the new Oppo players
  3. golden phoenix

golden phoenix Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,402
    i was waiting for the news on the new oppo players, ive held off buying a 93, but im going to have to wait even longer whilst they develop a multi region kit for this player before i buy.

this seems to getting released in the U.S at christmas time.

New or Enhanced BDP-103/105 Shared Features:

Latest generation QDEO which supports 4K upscaling
    2x2 HDMI. Two HDMI inputs; Two HDMI outputs.
    The Front HDMI input supports MHL (Mobile High-Definition Link) which allows some of the newer smartphones to be connected direct to the player and transmits the phones screen to the television. This also allows for ROKU Stick support.
    Newest Netflix interface which supports 1080p video, multi-channel audio, subtitle and alternative language selection, and Family Interface
    Gracenote for looking up media information such as album art, artist, album, and track information for your CD, SACD, and user generated media
    Backlit Eject buttons. No more thumbing around in the dark.
    No more analog video. There is a "DIAG" port, but this is to only see the OPPO UI when there is no media playback. So for those of you who use a small monitor for media playback, you will need to upgrade to a DVI/HDMI capable display.

New BDP-105 Only Features:

Fanless (unlike the BDP-95)
    Headphone Amplifier
    Asynchronous USB DAC
    Optical and Digital Coaxial Inputs
    Properly oriented XLR outputs
    Last edited: Sep 11, 2012
  4. ElwayLite

ElwayLite Member

Ratings:
    +0
    The 93 had a prerelease order in Oct/Nov, maybe they will do that again.

Im interested in these, but also the new Marantz UD5007.
  5. oddmania

oddmania Member

Ratings:
    +7
    It won't do any good since there is no content and it will upscale HD blu-ray to a near look of the 4K resolution.
    I was so excited and planning to get one but I've read an article (what is 4K) saying the capacity of the Blu-ray Disc can't handle the 4k,if that's true and 4K requires a new format then why not stick with the 93/95 models ?
  6. BrianMW

BrianMW Active Member

Ratings:
    +389
    Simply put, other makers such as Sony are outputting 4k upscaling Blu-ray players and other makers are following suit. Oppo is a player in the Blu-Ray player market and would have fallen behind if it doesn't react to the new technology, whether this particular step is of any use to you is neither here nor there, it's like when they added 3D to the 93/95 over the older 83's, some wanted 3D many didn't but if Oppo didn't add the feature they would have been well behind the rest... This is progress and it's normal I would think. :)
  7. oddmania

oddmania Member

Ratings:
    +7
    Your right,but if the 4K requires anew format (GOD FORBID) then we could be seeing the ending of the Blu-ray (GOD FORBID) it will be like the DVD,though some might like the idea of downloading the movie,I on the other hand prefer Disc's and collector's edition's specially the felling when I enter my A/V room and look at the shelve's with all the movie's on them :D , .
    I've read that some companies and Sony are working on 1TB Blu-ray disc for a 4K resolution,if that's done then all's well.
  8. Avi

Avi Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,088
    I think it will be a very long time before mass market commercial content is offered in a "DCI" like consumer format encompassing a film like colour gamut and advances in bit rate. Not least because of studio paranoia about content protection and market size for such products.

4K resolution is used in commercial DCI theatres due to the size of image required relative to seating distance. Irrespective of the benefit of 4K resolution to the average consumer display/viewing distance the "consumer technology" push is deigned to create churn i.e. new display, new player, new avr etc. It's probably also worth establishing how much benefit is purely resolution related compared to other things that may happen in terms of image processing in a 4k product. Resolution in isolation is often difficult to assess and the result is a combination of other changes are assumed to be due to resolution.

In the art of spec chasing it's important to have a tick in the box because many consumers have no idea why just that feature x is something that's a "must have".
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
    Last edited: Sep 11, 2012
  9. BrianMW

BrianMW Active Member

Ratings:
    +389
    And while all that is agreed and standards met the Super Hi-Vision formats will be gathering pace :D and then we all change again :laugh:
  10. usman24

usman24 Member

Ratings:
    +24
    rather than 4K upscaling Marvell [Qdeo] should have invested in better upscaling to 1080p. More accurate scaling with minimal edge enhancement/ringing.
  11. KenVal

KenVal Member

Ratings:
    +63
    Fanless !!!! Very interesting.
  12. Ian_S

Ian_S Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,499
    I seem to remember during the last format war that lots of people reckoned Blu-ray would die quickly because people would be downloading movies or buying them on cheap flash drives...

Neither has really happened, and neither is showing any sign of happening soon, still....

Personally I couldn't be less excited about 4K in the home as even on a 60" screen which is still very big, Blu-ray looks stunning. Homes with 4K projectors and huge screens are a niche market, and given the quality of over the air HD streams, it will be a long time before we get broadcast 4K.

I don't think 4K is something that's going to be high on the list of most people buying one of these...
  13. BrianMW

BrianMW Active Member

Ratings:
    +389
    Agreed, the downloaded movies for me just don't have the quality, the bit rate of them is not close to a blu and often the audio is a poor lossy version so the convenience is there but if I want quality (and I do) then the disc based format is the only one and I doubt they want to improve the quality of the downloaded ones either as at least in the UK our broadband is simply not up to it, I use Virgin (60mb) and at times it can be fast but not for this and fair usage policies get in the way too...

As an example I streamed a movie on the Apple TV a while ago and there were two versions to pick from, HD and standard, I chose and paid more for the HD version and was surprised to see the amp go to Pro-logic as the audio layer was only stereo for my HD movie... later I checked and the SD version of the same movie came with a Dolby Digital 5.1 audio layer (doh!) I mentioned it to Apple and they told me that have zero control on the content of the media this is done solely by the studios and this is the formats they had chosen, I guess it was done to keep the size of the HD movie file down but it's things like this that hold back this sort of thing... The only high quality movie files I have played have been my own discs that I ripped myself so i will stick with the Blu's for now.

PS I cant see the TV stations wanting to switch to 4k for a long time, they are still covering the cost for the move to HD :blush:
  14. dante01

dante01 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +4,584

They don't have the bandwidth anyway. You'll need to wait a long time to see 4K content distributed via physical media, but you'd have to wait an extremely longer period before you'll ever get 4K TV.

There's been some recent mutterings about 4K just being a fad thing and 8K more likely to be the standard by the time everyone has worked out a means by which to make it viable.

OK, so if you already own a £7K 4K capable panel or went out and bought a 4K PJ then you may as well make the most of it, but if you own neither then it is very unlikely you'll ever need a BD player with 4K upscaling and 4K content will never be distributed on Blu-ray anyway.
    Last edited: Sep 18, 2012
  15. BrianMW

BrianMW Active Member

Ratings:
    +389
    Indeed, Super Hi-Vision or nothing for me :laugh:

I can understand the people with the nice 4K projectors wanting the content but as said before its a fairly small market for everything to change for?

That said though I really enjoyed seeing Prometheus in the theatre with a Sony 4K projector ( the presentation was better than the movie! :eek: ) and IMHO was better looking than TDKR was in the iMax theatre a couple of weeks later but I think I was a little too close at iMax... I think the source file they would have been playing at Prometheus would have been a large percentage of the image quality and I doubt it was upscaled from 1080p ;)

All I remember was my mate and I talking more of the stunning image than the movie itself(with Prometheus), going to seen Dredd tomorrow in another 4k (newly upgraded) theatre so I am hoping for more of the same :)
  16. oddmania

oddmania Member

Ratings:
    +7
    But the article I read on the forum (What is 4k ?) said that 4K requires a lot of space do to the resolution and sound quality that the capacity of the Blu-ray can't handle,that is why it will be either downloaded of 1TB Blu-ray disc Sony and other companies working on.
    And if that happens everyone will download for free via torrent's,and to my knowledge 4k requires huge screen's to view it.
  17. leon

leon Member

Ratings:
    +64
    might be worth a look at nearer the time , it would need to be a £1000 better than my 95
  18. dante01

Ratings:
    +4,584
    How long do you think it takes to download 1TB of data? It is now possible to distribute 1TB files online, but download speeds are restricted by bandwidth. Who wants to dedicate their bandwidth allocation to continually downloading 1TB files and how many actually have speeds that make this a credible solution? Not to mention what will happen if everyone starts transferring 1TB files simultaneously. The internet would simply grind to a halt. Even if you've the fastest internet connection available in the UK, it would take you days to download 1TB. The majority of internet users in this country have less than 5Mb to play with.

If on a disc it will not be Blu-ray. Forget about your existing player ever being capable of playing back 4K discs.

4K projectors in cinemas use banks of hard drives to stream the data to the projector. You'd need a similar arrangement at home to both store and stream such files to your display. Even if you download these titles, where are you going to store them all? If you're equating a 4K film to 1TB of data then you are talking in the region of £60 - 80 per film. This would cover the cost of one drive needed to store each title on.
  19. oddmania

oddmania Member

Ratings:
    +7
    Then why did they make it in the first place :mad: ?!! if they knew it's gonna cost more?
    I totally agree with what you said and I don't see any problems with the blu-ray,I also think the upscale is useless.
  20. Avi

Avi Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,088
    To put some context around data size a DCI 4k 3 hour feature with additional prerequisite cinema material (20 minutes preamble plus some other stuff) needs about 380Gb at max bit rate. That includes 16 channels of 48K uncompressed audio. At min DCI bitrate that drops to around 123Gb.
  21. dante01

Ratings:
    +4,584
    That is still 5 to 20 times greater than current Blu-ray titles. Even if the smaller size becomes the standard, you'd still only be able to fit less than 7 titles onto a 1TB hard drive. Unless the studios selling 4K content are willing to subsidise the cost of hard drive storage then I cannot see this catching on? There's also no disc type media currently capable of holding more than Blu-ray can hold and the max is currently 50GB with a potentiakl for 200GB, but only if they start making 8 layer BD media. The industry can't even provide BD quality downloads let alone 4K quality so how are they going to distribute 4K content?

A raw 4K (4096 x 2160), 24fps, 16-bit file needs 405 Megabytes per second- 24.3 Gigabytes per minute – 1.46 Terabytes per hour.

The Digital Cinema Initiatives (DCI) specifications use a maximum of 250 Mbits/sec for JPEG2000 compressed 4K and this is set to double to 500 Mbits/sec within the next five years.

At the highest bitrate of 250 Mbit/sec, a two-hour 4k film would be 225GB for the image only, excluding audio or sub pictures.

Variable bit rate compression is used for distribution to cinemas, but to what extent depends on the content of the film.

At a Sony event in Tokyo, Sony demoed The Amazing Spider-Man in 4K using the Sony VPL-VW1000ES projector. The two and a half minute uncompressed trailer weighed in at 500GB.

Three hours of raw 4K video takes up 3.16TB, this would be 212 standard 25GB Blu-rays – Again the quality of image and amount of Blu-rays used would ultimately come down to the amount of compression applied.

Even if you buy a BD player with 4K upscaling, it will not be capable of playing a 4K disc. THere's no standard for 4K content yet so the player may not even be compatible with downloaded files??? You are buying a 4K scaler, not a native 4K player and it is doubtful that new BD players will play Blu-ray titles any better than the models they replace. Current Blu-ray tech can physically support up to eight layers – the original specification allowed for 200GB! Whether anyone will want to is a different story, but it shouldn't be difficult to go to four layers. Even this would require a new player and you'd still not get a entire film on one disc.
    Last edited: Sep 19, 2012
  22. Avi

Avi Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,088
    Yes it is but at least the numbers more accurately reflects the data requirements of 4k content used in DCI.

The numbers I quoted are from the current DCI specification.

The point of my post was "To put some context around data size" only.

Avi
    Last edited: Sep 19, 2012
  23. Turlough

Turlough Member

Ratings:
    +22
  24. AML

AML Active Member

Ratings:
    +229
    Looks like I was right to wait. The new oppos do upscale to 4k!
  25. Turlough

Turlough Member

Ratings:
    +22
  26. dante01

Ratings:
    +4,584
    I don't think that was ever disputed was it?
  27. AML

AML Active Member

Ratings:
    +229
    Nah, just i asked on this section for advice on a new player and no one replied to my questions regarding upscaling to 4k. I almost bought the 93, but asked if i should wait to see if oppo released a newer player. Lowe and behold...
  28. dante01

Ratings:
    +4,584
    okay :)

I assume that you are aware that 4K is only of use if you've a 4K display or PJ at your disposal?

btw I once saw Lowe and Behold perform live at Glastonbury.
    Last edited: Sep 20, 2012
  29. Migman

Migman Member

Ratings:
    +59
    Funny thing is, the Marvell chip in the 93 is fully capable of up-scaling to 4k, i guess Oppo weren't interested at the time.
  30. golden phoenix

golden phoenix Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,402
    this is the link to the 103 on the uk site, happy to report that it will be available from October onwards...

however i hope they will start working on a multi region unit asap!

oppo uk

full confirmed features:

P-103EU Universal Blu-ray Disc Player Features:

Universal Blu-ray Disc Player Features:Diversified Media Support:

•Blu-ray Disc - The high definition Blu-ray Disc™ format provides pristine video and audio quality for your home entertainment.
    •Blu-ray 3D – Experience high definition in all new dimensions. The BDP-103EU supports the Blu-ray 3D specifications and is fully compatible with Blu-ray 3D discs.
    •2D to 3D Conversion – Take your standard DVD, Blu-ray, and other video content to the next dimension by converting them into 3D with the simple press of a button. The BDP-103EU can also adjust the depth and eye convergence levels to suit your personal preference.
    •SACD - The BDP-103EU plays Super Audio CD (SACD) and supports both stereo and multi-channel high resolution audio programs. Users can select whether to output the DSD (Direct Stream Digital) signal in its native format or convert it into PCM.
    •DVD-Audio - The BDP-103EU plays DVD-Audio and supports both stereo and multi-channel high resolution audio programs. Users can select whether to play the DVD-Audio or the DVD-Video portion of the disc.
    •Netflix Instant Streaming - Instantly watch TV shows & movies streaming from Netflix. Netflix "Just For Kids" is a special selection of kid-friendly TV episodes & movies for younger viewers. It is included with your Netflix unlimited streaming membership. Selected titles support features including 1080p video, 5.1ch audio, subtitles and alternative audio languages (Netflix not available in all countries)
    •Comprehensive Internet Streaming - In addition to Netflix, the BDP-103EU provides access to popular entertainment network services from YouTube Leanback and Picasa, with more to come.
    •BD-Live & BonusVIEW - The BDP-103EU supports BD-Live™ (Profile 2.0) and contains all necessary hardware - audio/video decoder, Ethernet and wireless networking, and 1GB of internal storage - for BD-Live. It also supports BonusVIEW (Profile 1.1) enabling "picture-in-picture" and audio features for viewing director or actor commentary while the main movie is playing.
    •Additional Disc & Media Formats - Additional disc and file formats, such as DVD, audio CD, HDCD, Kodak Picture CD, AVCHD, MP4, AVI, MKV and other audio/video/picture files on recorded discs or USB drives can be played back on the BDP-103EU. The BDP-103EU fully supports high-resolution lossless WAV and FLAC music formats.
    Unparalleled Video Quality:

•Qdeo by Marvell - The BDP-103EU incorporates Marvell's Kyoto-G2H video processor with the latest generation Qdeo™ technology. Qdeo video processing delivers a truly immersive viewing experience by rendering quiet natural video free of noise and artefacts for all types of content. For high-quality Blu-ray content, the BDP-103EU faithfully reproduces the program just as the director intended; for DVD, the up-converted picture quality bridges the visual gap from your current DVD library to Blu-ray discs; for network streaming and user-encoded content at a variety of formats and quality, the BDP-103EU offers enhancement options including video noise reduction, compression artefact reduction, intelligent colour, contrast, detail and edge enhancements. To learn more about the Qdeo video processing technology, please read the Qdeo Extended Technology Brief.
    •4K Up-scaling - Enhance the home theatre experience with four times the resolution of Full HD 1080p by up-scaling all video sources to 4K (3840 x 2160) output resolution.
    •DVD Up-Conversion - Per-pixel motion-adaptive de-interlacing and advanced scaling transform the standard definition image on DVDs to high definition output on your TV. Additional Qdeo video processing options help to deliver a clearer, smoother, and more true-to-life picture free of noise and artefacts.
    •Full HD 1080p Output - The BDP-103EU features user selectable video output resolutions, including 480i, 480p, 720p, 1080i, and 1080p.
    •True 24p™ Video - Many Blu-ray Discs are recorded at 24 frames per second, the same frame rate as the original movie's theatrical release. The BDP-103EU can faithfully redeliver the original frames using 1080p 24Hz output (compatible display required) for smoother motion and a flicker-free, film-like home theatre experience. It can also restore the original 24 frames per second progressive-scan video from well-authored NTSC DVDs and output 1080p 24Hz.
    •Source Direct Mode - For users who wish to use an external video processor, the BDP-103EU offers a "Source Direct" mode. The original audio/video content on the discs is sent out with no additional processing or alteration.
    •Multiple Zoom Modes - The BDP-103EU supports multiple levels of aspect ratio control and image zooming. Users can watch a movie in its original aspect ratio, fit to the full screen, or zoom in to remove the black bars on some titles.
    •Vertical Stretch Mode - For customers with a 2.35:1 CIH (Constant Image Height) display system, the player's zoom options include a vertical stretch mode to work nicely with an anamorphic lens. A unique subtitle shift feature allows the user to move the subtitle up and down, making it possible to see all subtitle text when using a 2.35:1 CIH display.
    •Advanced Picture Control - Users can have fine control of brightness, contrast, saturation, hue, sharpness, noise reduction, colour and contrast enhancements. The player can remember and apply three custom picture control modes to suit a variety of viewing conditions and content types.
    High Fidelity Audio:

•Dolby® TrueHD - Dolby TrueHD delivers lossless studio master quality audio designed specifically for high definition entertainment. The BDP-103EU supports bit-stream output of Dolby TrueHD via its HDMI 1.4a output. It can also internally decode Dolby TrueHD into LPCM and output via HDMI or the 7.1ch analogue audio output terminals. Dolby Digital and Dolby Digital Plus audio formats are also supported.
    •DTS-HD Master Audio™ - DTS-HD Master Audio delivers an auditory experience that matches the lifelike images of high-definition video with up to 7.1 channels that are bit-for-bit identical to the studio master. The BDP-103EU supports bit-stream output of DTS-HD Master Audio. It can also internally decode DTS-HD Master Audio and output via HDMI or the 7.1ch analog audio output terminals. (DTS-HD High Resolution Audio and DTS Digital Surround are also supported)
    •7.1-Channel Analogue Output - Individual analogue 7.1-channel surround outputs are ideal to connect to a 7.1-channel or 5.1-channel surround sound system. The BDP-103EU delivers an incredible sound stage and an immersive surround experience. For users with stereo speakers, the 7.1-channel analogue output can be configured to a stereo down-mix mode.
    •Digital Optical and Coaxial Outputs - For simple and easy connection to more traditional A/V receivers, the BDP-103EU features both optical and coaxial outputs for digital audio.
    •Rigid Chassis Construction - Built around a steel chassis, aluminium faceplate, and centre-mounted disc loader, the BDP-103EU is designed to impress as well as to provide a stable base for the highest quality reproduction of your favourite media.
    Ultimate Convenience:

•Dual HDMI Outputs – Two HDMI v1.4a output ports are provided to offer the most versatile installation options to both older and newer HDMI equipment. You do not have to upgrade your A/V receiver to a 3D model in order to enjoy 3D. One HDMI output of the BDP-103EU can be connected to a 3D TV and the other can be connected to a pre-3D HDMI v1.1-v1.3 A/V receiver. For projector users, you can connect one output to a projector for home theatre use and the other to a TV for casual viewing. For a multi-room installation the BDP-103EU can output audio and video to two 3D or 2D TVs simultaneously.
    •Dual HDMI Inputs – Connect external devices such as set-top boxes and network streaming devices to take further advantage of the excellent audio and video processing functions by the BDP-103EU. The BDP-103EU offers two HDMI inputs, one on the front and one on the back.
    •MHL Input – Simplify connecting smartphones, tablets and other mobile devices to the home theatre by using the MHL (Mobile High-Definition Link) input port of the BDP-103EU. Display high resolution pictures, 1080p video and listen to pure digital music all while simultaneously charging the connected mobile device. The front HDMI input port of the BDP-103EU doubles as an MHL input.
    •Wireless & Ethernet – Using the included wireless-N adapter or the built-in RJ45 Ethernet port, users will be able to interact with BD-Live content, watch instant streaming programs from providers such as Netflix, playback contents stored on their home network, and keep the BDP-103EU up-to-date with firmware releases to ensure maximum Blu-ray compatibility.
    •Triple USB Ports - Three USB 2.0 high speed ports are provided, one on the front panel and two on the back. Users can enjoy high definition video, high resolution photos and music directly from their USB drives.
    •PAL/NTSC Conversion - The BDP-103EU supports PAL and NTSC systems for both disc playback and video output. It can also convert content of one system for output in another. (Subject to DVD and BD region restrictions)
    •Back-lit Remote Control - The BDP-103EU comes with a fully back-lit remote control for ease of use in dark home theatres. With its ergonomic button layout and clear labelling, operating the Blu-ray Disc player is easier than ever.
    •Universal Power Supply - The BDP-103EU features a wide-range world power supply that is compatible with AC power from all regions. No worries about damaging the player due to incorrect power voltage.
    •External IR - For integration into home theatre control systems, the BDP-103EU provides an external IR IN port to use with an IR distribution system.
    •RS232 Control - For custom installation, the BDP-103EU offers an RS232 control port with a rich control and communication protocol. Installers can easily program their favourite control systems to operate the BDP-103EU.
    •Remote Control Apps – For additional user convenience, the BDP-103EU can be operated using remote control apps running on compatible smartphone and tablet devices. The remote control app for Android is already available. An app for Apple iOS devices is coming soon.
    •HDMI CEC - HDMI Consumer Electronics Control simplifies the home theatre by allowing a single remote control to operate multiple devices.
    •Gracenote MusicID® and VideoID™ - By connecting to Gracenote's global media database over the Internet, the BDP-103EU can offer an enriched playback experience by displaying Cover Art, Title, Artist, Genre and other media information for CD, DVD, Blu-ray and a wide range of digital media files.
    •DMP & DMR - Digital Media Player (DMP) and Digital Media Renderer (DMR) features enables wired or wireless access of audio, picture, and video files stored on DLNA-compatible digital media servers such as a computer or network storage device (NAS).
    •SMB/CIFS Access - The BDP-103EU comes with an experimental feature that can access video, audio and picture files shared by computers on the local network via the Server Message Block (SMB) or Common Internet File System (CIFS) protocol.
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
    Last edited: Sep 20, 2012
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.