Onyko TX-NR515 Owners Thread.

Picked up a TX-NR515 last week from Richer Sounds @ £249.....replacing a older TX-SR705 which I will be putting up for sale soon (due to needing more HDMI's/3D/Network, the 2nd HDMI output is also handy for the PJ)

Once updated to latest firmware (via included USB stick first then downloading the latest 400 update from the website) it has been working flawlessly for a week now, no issues as discussed on older posts, very please with it for the price. :thumbsup:

Last edited:
I`m looking at setting up a hard wire connection between my PC and my Onkyo, if i do this will my onkyo be ablt to display any media files, such as AVI, MP4 or would i still need to convert them even with a hard wire connection?

Went for this -struggling with non-HDMI amps for years and there was little point jumping to 3 or 4 input amps as TVs have that. Noticed this had 8! Perfect. 7 on the back and 1 upfront

£240 from Richer http://www.richersounds.com/product/av-receivers/onkyo/txnr515/onky-txnr515-blk with a £10 off coupon if you join their VIP club http://www.richersounds.com/viplogin (place the order over the phone landline and email/forward them your VIP email). Works instore too but I'd rather not spend half a day of my life to get this.

Was rather put off with Onyko lately but it looks like they're on top off their game with updates on this so fingers crossed.

Reviews:
http://www.whathifi.com/review/onkyo-tx-nr515
http://www.wired.co.uk/reviews/tvs-and-home-cinema/2012-06/onkyo-tx-nr515

Onkyo UK http://www.uk.onkyo.com/en/products/tx-nr515-76085.html
User guide: http://www.eu.onkyo.com/downloads/2/0/6/7/4/Manual_TX-NR515_En.pdf

Hopefully Richer have the latest firmware

Drag to your address bar for full size:
rykz.jpg

8dn2.jpg

Richer units will likely have the 'Upgrade Kit' inside... Mine did. You may need to download just the 515 files or delete the others for the amp to detect it. Do the upgrade before anything else!

I've had my 515 for 4 months and the on off from the remote started playing up about 2 months ago now it just randomly works or doesn't work. Is this a hardware or software issue? I could take it back to the retailer but its like a car that only plays up when the dealer isn't here.

I've had my 515 for 4 months and the on off from the remote started playing up about 2 months ago now it just randomly works or doesn't work. Is this a hardware or software issue? I could take it back to the retailer but its like a car that only plays up when the dealer isn't here.
Batteries?
Often the supplied are not especially good/poor life/ old.

That's me just read this thread all the way through. I have some worry but I'm desperate for the spec and can't bring myself to spend £400 or more. There's nothing that comes close to this machine.

I don't mind niggles as I see these things more like computers now that a plain old amp.

The only thing that does annoy me so far is finding out the remote control is very remote ie it doesn't seem to switch all the HDMI channels:
1clx.jpg

D'oh. Now that's plainly stupid.

Spec's a killer:

Suit you, sir.

The other amps I looked at had similar specs but either not enough digital audio ins or just a wee bit short on the HDMI front.

I use a harmony remote and its rechargable so the battery is not the problem

it's just random sometimes it turns on other times it doesn't
Rechargeables die or lose performance, too. ;)

Does the same issue arise if you use the Onkyo remote?

It could be almost anything
- IR blocking (things in the way)
- other IR emitters causing signals to not be 'seen' properly (other remotes sending, certain light sources / lamps emitting IR - e.g. energy saving fluorescents) - even sunlight
- the remote IR emitter may be on its way out and/or the drive circuits and or intermittent connections / dodgy capacitors
- ditto the receivers...

May also be worth re-programming the Harmony in case something is corrupt in memory?

Its not to close to the TV is it, try the remote on/off while the TV's off see if its more stable.

Ah, came with this 1GB flash:
o7jf.jpg

Version 0300 firmware though on it so installed that (upgraded from 200) then on to 400 as above with my own flash.

Just hope the amp works :D

OK, couple of hours and my first impression! :)

Very unintuitive design/layout (****ing stupid actually), no mute on the front of the amp, and no obvious way to select the other hidden HDMIs either on the amp front or remote. Who thought of that? Idiots. To get one of the hidden HDMIs (once you've MANUALLY added it (ie turned it on as it's "EXTRA")) press the "Q" button on the remote then ok the input. Even though I've relabelled everything the original consigned name still appears there until you scroll then the new name appears on the right. Again, which idiot designed that? Headache inducing.

Had to turn my PC on to read the manual too as they only throw in a quick start.

Apart from all that it's defo a nice bit of kit but it's going to be a bit of a nightmare selecting stuff and the display disappears after a few seconds too -hardly user friendly but no surprise for such a badly conceived product. Again, the "Q" button (press it twice) brings up the amp display. I don't know why it's so difficult to have a display errr... display stuff. Why can't I turn the time out off?

It gets VERY hot (never had an amp get to this sort of heat within such a short period). Remote control has frozen 7 or 8 times in 2 hours and the "home" button simply does not work on occasion.

Very handy that it upscales my old LD/VHS players. Getting all that (and 8 HDMIs) in a 1 box solution is great!

Still, for the spec I give it 9/10 and 1/10 for design. I'd not recommend this amp to anyone who just wants a simple device either.

One technical hitch -on my Digifusion Freeview HD PVR box the audio constantly dropped but setting the box's audio to "Off" under "Dolby Digital" solved it. I assume the Digifusion is just now outputting stereo then (I see Sky has "Stereo" too as an option).

I am thinking of selling my yamaha 671 and buy the onkyo 515 for the purpose of the dual hdmi output on the onkyo 515. My question is would speaker like monitor audio vector or jamo a102 hcs6 be a good patner for the onkyo 515.

Also has onkyo sorted out the problem that has been reported on here.

hype_male said:
Also has onkyo sorted out the problem that has been reported on here.

Quite a few problems mentioned in this thread. Apart from the niggles I've had nothing I'd call a 'fault' so far having upgraded to firmware 0400

The amp sounds absoulutely beautiful for sure and I'm very pleased with it (putting the design problems to one side).

I think it's the only time I've owned an amp that allows me to do everything I want with my setup up. In fact, that's why I bought the Onkyo (and the great price of course). I'd been holding off upgrading for a good 2 years -there was no point. Amps like this completely kill off the 2nd hand market too because they offer such a quantum leap in connections. If you don't need all the connections (2 x HDMI out is fab) I can't see much point in upgrading.

You'll not know how the speakers sound until you plug them in.

That's not sarcasm BTW :) It's true, no matter what anyone anywhere tells you you'll never know until you try it out.

Although Onkyo got a blind man to design this amp they didn't get a deaf man to help him. It's a great piece of kit from a pedigree manufacturer.

Quite a few problems mentioned in this thread. Apart from the niggles I've had nothing I'd call a 'fault' so far having upgraded to firmware 0400

The amp sounds absoulutely beautiful for sure and I'm very pleased with it (putting the design problems to one side).

I think it's the only time I've owned an amp that allows me to do everything I want with my setup up. In fact, that's why I bought the Onkyo (and the great price of course). I'd been holding off upgrading for a good 2 years -there was no point. Amps like this completely kill off the 2nd hand market too because they offer such a quantum leap in connections. If you don't need all the connections (2 x HDMI out is fab) I can't see much point in upgrading.

the dual hdmi out is one the reason why am thinking of selling the yamaha 671 to fund the Onkyo 515. Yes I will be loosing money on the 671 as only bought just over a year ago for £395 but having two sources sharing the one hdmi output on the yamaha 671 means changing all the time.

Even if i dont use all the input on the onkyo 671, the current price of the onkyo 515 is a bargin and actually reading the spec of the 515 I think the onkyo 515 has few more feature I will use more. Just need to find a good paring speaker for the onkyo 515.

the dual hdmi out is one the reason why am thinking of selling the yamaha 671 to fund the Onkyo 515. Yes I will be loosing money on the 671 as only bought just over a year ago for £395 but having two sources sharing the one hdmi output on the yamaha 671 means changing all the time.

Even if i dont use all the input on the onkyo 671, the current price of the onkyo 515 is a bargin and actually reading the spec of the 515 I think the onkyo 515 has few more feature I will use more. Just need to find a good paring speaker for the onkyo 515.

You could always get an active HDMI splitter (1 into 2) to save you changing all the time, I used one on my old Onkyo before changing to a 515 and it worked fine, nice to have it all on the one amp now though....

Btw in the 2 weeks I have had the amp I have had none of the mentioned problems earlier in the thread....

e43d.jpg

Ah, an unexpected image I bet! :D

Decided to go back to RicherSounds and take up their 5 year warranty for £23.80. If you don't use it they give your money back within 30 days of the expiration of the policy. It's a no brainer folks cos this Onkyo is very hot. And mind £10 off the amp anyway with their VIP club.

They email the policy too so no faffing.

7mt.gif

http://www.richersounds.com/information/warranties
http://www.richersounds.com/action.php?cdx=loadstatic&page=5yearterms

Hedge trimmer? Ah. Bought that from Argos and was offered a 3 year warranty for £4 I think. Usually I'd laugh offers like that off but this is my 4th trimmer in 5 years. Again, a no brainer.

The amp's appeared on HUKD again http://www.hotukdeals.com/deals/onkyo-txnr515-save-100-off-rrp-only-249-richersounds-1625817

It's definitely HOT! :laugh:

You could always get an active HDMI splitter (1 into 2) to save you changing all the time, I used one on my old Onkyo before changing to a 515 and it worked fine, nice to have it all on the one amp now though....

Btw in the 2 weeks I have had the amp I have had none of the mentioned problems earlier in the thread....

Thanks for your suggestion hdmi splitter but as you said its better to have every thing all plugged into one. At the current price of the onkyo 515 its a no brainer for the features it has. I guess when I bought my yamaha 671 for nearly £400 I wasn't thinking my output needs. Got more inputs than I need but less output than I have.

Can I ask what speaker you have partnered with your onkyo 515 as I know onkyo are bright sounding so need warm speaker.

I just hope I dont experience the issues that have been reported with onkyo receiver but paying £24 for 5 years warranty to richer sounds will cover my ass should any thing go wrong.

Thanks for your suggestion hdmi splitter but as you said its better to have every thing all plugged into one. At the current price of the onkyo 515 its a no brainer for the features it has. I guess when I bought my yamaha 671 for nearly £400 I wasn't thinking my output needs. Got more inputs than I need but less output than I have.

Can I ask what speaker you have partnered with your onkyo 515 as I know onkyo are bright sounding so need warm speaker.

I have had my B&W speakers (603s,601s,CC6) and Yamaha Sub for around 15 years with many amps during that time (3 Yams, 2 Onks) Yams are great but Onks just give you that bit more for the money! You will not be disappointed.

I also purchased the extended warranty from RS as said its a no brainer for the price.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom