Home Entertainment & Technology Resource

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Onyko TX-NR515 Owners Thread.

Discussion in 'Integrated Amplifiers & Receivers' started by enigma1507, Apr 30, 2012.

1. DeKurver

DeKurver Member

Ratings:
    +9
    Okay, I was able to update yesterday to FW version 1100-6103-0100. Unfortunately it didn't fix the problem I'm having, which is that the video output doesn't always work on Main when the receiver is turned on from standby and I have Monitor Out set to Both. I have to change it to Main to get the picture and then, after a few hours maybe, I can switch it back to Both. I was hoping the FW update would fix this but the problem's still there. Does anyone have any ideas? Is this a known problem with the 515 or do I have a faulty unit? BTW, Network Standby is off.
  2. PR.

PR. Member

Ratings:
    +1
    I finally got mine plugged in Saturday, made some setup changes then did the firmware update and lost all the settings. Since then I've set it all up again and got most things setup correctly but can anyone confirm that it loses its settings every time it updates?!
  3. DeKurver

DeKurver Member

Ratings:
    +9
    Yes, I lost my settings when the FW updated.
  4. Fozz

Fozz Member

Ratings:
    +4
    First up is your AVR on the network?

Yea, mine just informed me on a power-on that there was an update available so I guess just power it off nightly and back on every day and it should check in and allow you to update. I know Onkyo had issues with the update file so removed it off their site for a short while so maybe they are having ongoing issues. It will get the update eventually...
  5. Fozz

Fozz Member

Ratings:
    +4
    Check this link out:
    Firmware Updates TX-NR515 / HT-R791 | ONKYO Asia and Oceania Website

So not every F/W release kills your settings but the latest one from June 8th does. Bit of a pain that...
  6. Fozz

Fozz Member

Ratings:
    +4
  7. pinchez

pinchez Member

Ratings:
    +15
    Thinking of buying one of these but a top priority for me is the way it handles HDMI. as anybody connected 2 x 1080p TV's to the two HDMI outputs, does it pass through in standby mode to both TV's simultaneously without problems?
  8. -mo-

-mo- Member

Ratings:
    +2
    Have a look here

onkyoproductsupport.forumotion.com/t750p15-tx-nr515-monitor-out-issues-no-picture -

Maurice
  9. -mo-

-mo- Member

Ratings:
    +2
  10. jak77

jak77 Member

Ratings:
    +10
    I installed last night, will see this morning when i drag myself out of bed whether it's worked - I somehow expect to be disappointed.
  11. jak77

jak77 Member

Ratings:
    +10
    On a sample of 1, it worked! It was intermittent for me though so we'll see how it goes.
  12. -mo-

-mo- Member

Ratings:
    +2
    Hi Jak77-
    Hope your fix is permanent, but.....

I've just been reading through the U.S. onkyo support forum

Onkyo USA Product Support Forum

and it seems that yesterdays (26-June-12) firmware is still causing problems.
    Anyone who has so far carried out yesterday's firmware update - what are your results like?
    Maurice
  13. jak77

jak77 Member

Ratings:
    +10
    Got home this evening and it worked again, 2 from 2, starting to get my hopes up.
  14. jak77

jak77 Member

Ratings:
    +10
    This morning it worked again - not sure I ever had three in a row before, I think they may have fixed my problem.

My problem wasn't exactly the same as some others as the network standby setting didn't have any impact for me on whether I got picture or not.
  15. PR.

PR. Member

Ratings:
    +1
    Oddly I'd not had this problem until I turned it on yesterday evening, couldn't get a signal on TV, updated the receiver using the display panel and after it completed everything was ok. Hopefully I won't see the issue again.
  16. steverobertsbbc

steverobertsbbc Member

Ratings:
    +118
    Anyone happen to have a remote code to enable the amp's remote to operate a Sony HXD870 DVD recorder?
  17. steverobertsbbc

steverobertsbbc Member

Ratings:
    +118
    OK, here's another question... When I turn my 515 on and check the centre speaker level (press Q/Setup button the remote to access the quick menu), the level has defaulted to -5dB. I've seen another mention of this on a separate thread, but no answer to his query.

Edited: Answered my own question. -5dB seems to be the value assigned to the centre speaker during Audyssey setup (-5dB relative to what, though?), with the fronts being at -7dB and the rears at -8dB. I think it would have been more sensible to have the offset adjustment be set relative to *these* levels - ie if you wanted to have more or less centre level on a temporary basis, you would initially see the slider at midpoint of 0dB to avoid causing the confusion that... it caused. :)
    Last edited: Jul 8, 2012
  18. steverobertsbbc

steverobertsbbc Member

Ratings:
    +118
    Just bumping this to say that my NR515 has behaved impeccably since I turned off Network Standby. Previous to that I had the loss of video problem after a few hours of being off, which could only be resolved by a mains repower. After turning Network Standby off all has been good and I've had no issues updating to the latest firmware etc.
  19. steve.moore

steve.moore Member

Ratings:
    +2
    Yesterday, I installed the Onkyo Remote Android App on my phone(HTC Desire S) and today I downloaded the Firmware. Sadly, this app will not find the TX-NR515 it only works in Demo mode.
    Has Anyone tried using this App and know what I need to do to make this work?
    PS. I have a TopLink TL-WN722N WiFi dongle connected on the USB(R).
    Last edited: Aug 11, 2012
  20. sprainedmind

sprainedmind Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi, thinking of taking the plunge on this later this week :)

Quick question though, does it allow you to override the HDMI sound input with optical? So I can use the amp for video switching and still get DD from my Sky+ box.

Thanks.
  21. LeifD

LeifD Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Can people confirm that the 515 with the latest firmware seems to be fixed without the picture blanking problems that seem to still be affecting the 616? I am looking at buying this to connect to my TV and media server etc. and so am keen that the video switching will work.
    Also I am looking at changing my front speaker from current floor standing Mission 773s to something more wife friendly - I am thinking about maybe the Cambridge Audio S30 which I could wall mount. Would they be any good with the 515? Or are they a bit of a mismatch?
    Also my wife would prefer a more discreet center speaker than the current Mission 77c (or 77c1 - I forget). Any advice on this? Something small/discreet - and matched to the fronts? So should I also reconsider the fronts?
    Hopefully I don't need to change the 77ds rears, or my sub! Sigh.
  22. steverobertsbbc

steverobertsbbc Member

Ratings:
    +118
    All I can tell you is that I had one instance of the 'audio but no video, switch off at mains to reset' fault initially. I read that Network Standby might be implicated so I turned that off and it has been rock solid ever since. There's been a firmware upgrade since as well. I do think a lot of this is dependent on the equipment connected though, so your mileage may vary!
  23. brewster0101

brewster0101 Member

Ratings:
    +5
    Got my 515 finally set up with new Tannoy HTS101 - so far very happy.

On my model when I'm feeding a DTS HD signal the amp screen only shows the DTS logo, is that it?
  24. Xpresso

Xpresso Member

Ratings:
    +2
    Hi, Just got this amp yesterday from Richer Sounds for 399.

I have the hdmi through setup for my virgin box so the amp can be in standby mode and the sound goes through the hdmi to the tv speakers (which is great) but i was wondering if there was a shortcut to switch this back and forward to the amp controlling the sound for that input, as on occasion i'll rent a movie through virgin and would like to have surround sound available easily for it.
  25. steverobertsbbc

steverobertsbbc Member

Ratings:
    +118
    Use the Display button on the remote and it will show you more info.
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  26. brewster0101

brewster0101 Member

Ratings:
    +5
    when you turn the amp on the signal is fed into the amp for processing and stopped from going to the TV - is that what mean?
  27. brewster0101

brewster0101 Member

Ratings:
    +5
    Ok, I have the LG BG660 bluray player and the only way I can get the DTS HD signal is by setting the HDMI audio out a primary pass through. This works fine in the film. But in the disc menu and trailers the sound gets pushed through to the TV as well as the amp and the amp display seems to turn off!
  28. steverobertsbbc

steverobertsbbc Member

Ratings:
    +118
    Well, turn down the TV sound if you're using the amp would be sensible advice! On my system, when I turn on the amp it mutes the TV speakers and the volume control on my TV remote then remotes the amp volume and "Home Cinema Volume" appears on the TV's OSD. You need to have HDMI control in the TV turned on and the amp plugged into the ARC HDMI socket on the TV.

Regarding the display disappearing, this sounds like you have the amp in Pure Audio mode - see page 38 onwards in the manual. Trying selecting another Movie listening mode from the remote when that happens. You can set the amp to default to a particular listening mode when you give it a defined input (DD, dts, stereo etc) in the menus, or just to stay in whatever mode it was last in when it had that particular type of input signal.
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  29. brewster0101

brewster0101 Member

Ratings:
    +5
    Ok, my confusion at first. While the Bluray was outputting DTS the TV was silent, I've just worked out why, my TV can play back DTS audio. But if anyother audio is being passed through then the TV plays the audio as well as the amp.

Now my TV has ARC which is turned on and I pretty sure the setting in the amp is on too. Nothing though special happens like you've mentioned. What make of TV do you have?
  30. steverobertsbbc

steverobertsbbc Member

Ratings:
    +118
    It's a Panasonic G20 plasma. My system behaved as you describe yours until I turned on Viera-Link, which is Panasonic's name for CEC HDMI control.

What TV do you have? I could try to find the manual online.
    • Thanks Thanks x 1