Home Entertainment & Technology Resource

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Only 1% are sensitive to phosphor lag on plasmas?

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by Tensai, Apr 12, 2009.

1. Tensai

Tensai Member

Ratings:
    +0
    ********. Got 3 days to decide whether or not I'm exchanging my 46G10 (purchased 5 days ago) for an x4500 (adding some extra money) or that a956 Samsung LED... viewing angle's not a problem for the purpose it's mainly going to be used.

This was my first plasma purchase and I can simply NOT imagine people not seeing the phosphor lag and rainbow effects. It is most obvious in games and cutscenes... not noticed it yet with my dvd viewing, although I'll harbor a guess that when I get my ps3 in tomorrow and pop a bluray in of any movie with fast action scenes or something like Sin City, it'll be the same...

It is in my opinion a major defect that ruins the picture quality totally for me and a major annoyance... how the hell plasma can be so famous for its picture quality among the 'experts' with green glows flashing around and all the green ghosting going on? More importantly, how do people not see this? I don't believe that figure of 1% vs 99% of people who are not sensitive to it.
  2. kennyhkw

kennyhkw Member

Ratings:
    +13
    I've never witnessed any of this problem on my plasma and i've had it for about a month and its been used for everything from PS3/360 gaming to watching HD files from PC. Not a problem here, picture quality is getting better every day.

U must have super human eyesight or a dodgy panel. Can you check out anyone elses panel? Like a friends or whatever.
  3. Monarch

Monarch Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,171
    I've seen a tiny bit on my PX80 (which is worse than the G10) but it's hardly there at all, it's far far far less visible and annoying than motion blurring on LCDs and only ever comes up for me as a flash when a large portion of the screen changes from white to black. Maybe only 1% of people notice it to the same level as you
  4. Tensai

Tensai Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Strange replies, I see them quite easily... I might try another panel at the store and see if the problem's still that apparent to me... but I don't have much hope.

Also, I don't see the point in debating whether my panel might or might not be defect: the problem seems to come with the technology (although I guess I hoped I would not be bothered by it as much as I am now) What's That Green Trail On My Plasma?

Maybe it's worse in some panels? But that'd mean it's a lottery whenever you buy a plasma, just got to hope for the best :eek:

I'm not slagging plasma off by the way, just hugely deflated and disappointed after paying good money for what I thought would be a great tv for me. :(
  5. ozzzy189

ozzzy189 Active Member

Ratings:
    +621
    A lot of it is down to calibration too i think, but yes, certain films do show it more than others. 300 is a particular film for this.
  6. Naaktgeboren

Naaktgeboren Active Member

Ratings:
    +938
    I have a TX-50X10 which is my first plasma and I had heard of the phosphor trails prior to deciding on this model. I was worried about this although I did view lots of plasma's in various shops to see if it was something I would notice.

My eyesight is classed as excellent and I do not appear sensitive to this problem. My cousin has an LG plasma, he describes this problem as very bad but I honestly cannot see it :rotfl: I had an interesting chat with my wifes optician, he thought that people wearing glasses/contact lenses would be more prone to these 'purple snakes' due to reflections against the surface of the lense.

Saying that, she is also not sensitive to anything like this.
  7. Gussie

Gussie Member

Ratings:
    +84
    Roughly translated "If I can't see it - then everyone else is wrong !!"

All too typical uninformed comment ! :nono:

Gussie :)
    Last edited: Apr 12, 2009
  8. YellowSphere

YellowSphere Active Member

Ratings:
    +487
    Purple snakes were something completely different, a fault affecting some Panasonic models. Phosphor trails are an inherent problem with phosphor based displays (including CRT, but plasma shows it up more). If you're having serious problems, reduce the contrast setting.
  9. gizlaroc

gizlaroc Active Member

Ratings:
    +519
    For a start as the phospors burn in it reduces greatly, my PF11 was really bad for the first 100 hours, I have had over a dozen plasmas and they all get better with time, by 800 hours it was a complete non issue.
    I have a PX80 in the other room and that was a problem at first too, but now after 3 months it seems fine.
    My PHD6 however always had it to a certain extent, even after 6000 hours.

I would say if you are noticing it that badly now then you need to consider different panel or go to LCD, no point posting about it on here really as those that see it will agree and those that don't will think you're being too picky.

It is not a flaw in the technology, it is the technology, some will never get on with it.

Take the screen out of WARM colour setting if you have it in that, NORMAL will help alot.
    Make sure the set is in Cinema mode and with the contrast no higher than 50%, that helps too.

The phospors on the screen bloom for the first 1000 hours or so, as they burn in this reduces, think of it like defocusing an image slightly, it makes each pixel slightly bigger, as the screen beds in this fuzzy edge disappears and you get a much sharper smaller phospor and thus the trail is not exaggerated.
    If you can live with it now with contrast at 30-40% watching normal TV then you will get used to it as the screen beds in, if it still annoys you get rid while you can and buy a Pioneer or go for an LCD.
  10. digitalsauce

digitalsauce New Member

Ratings:
    +3
    Would be interested to hear your thoughts on "input lag" when you hook your PS3 up and play a few games on the G10; .. possibly the fact that lag is not an issue (?) on plasma, would this not be a "tick" in the list of positives and the phosphor lag is less noticeable providing you do not deliberately look for it?

I was almost on the verge of buying this panel but you have currently scared me off a little =)
  11. jpb82

jpb82 Member

Ratings:
    +19
    Phosphor lag is what really put me off buying a plasma too, until i said
    to myself what the hell and bought my Panasonic 42PZ80 on impulse.

With Blu-Ray and standard TV i have never noticed phosphor lag one little bit and with the Xbox 360
    i do notice phosphor lag and trails occationally with games like Gears Of War especially when you have a dark object against
    a light background and vise versa and at the beginning it did anoy me slightly, but to be honest most of the time
    its so minimal its barely noticeable and is easily ignored.
  12. Paul Cooksley

Paul Cooksley Member

Ratings:
    +136
    I tend to agree here.

I have a 42" PX80 and had it 3 months so far. At first I could see this sort of phosphor trail (yellow/green) on fast moving black and white images in particular.

After 3 months usage though, they do appear to have improved (either that or I simply don't notice them as much and are "used to them")
  13. Krullhero

Krullhero Member

Ratings:
    +9
    I have a PX80 and noticed phosphor lag too on normal tv, dvd and blu-rays (I don't play video games). I can understand that some people are more sensitive than other - sometimes I do look for it :( - but it is a problem with the technology and can also result in one other major problem MOTION BLUR ..... especially on camera pans :mad: :thumbsdow

I was quite disappointed when I noticed it, hell, even my girlfriend notices it, especially all of the praise the tv was getting for its motion handling. We were watching The Apprentice on wed night and when the end credits wizz up the screen, you can clearly see the text blurring and green ghosting, all due to phosphor lag. Check it out next wednesday if you can.

Its not a faulty screen and neither myself or my gf have super vision, its just the technology.

Krullhero
  14. astirling

astirling Member

Ratings:
    +44
    Isn't green ghosting specific to Panasonic panels? I've seen it discussed in the VX100 thread as a negative when comparing that set to the Kuros.
  15. YellowSphere

YellowSphere Active Member

Ratings:
    +487
    It's generally more of a problem on Panasonics than Pioneers. However, it's definitely a general trait of phosphor displays, I often see it on high contrast games on my CRT.
  16. Monarch

Monarch Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,171
    Panasonics have had an issue with it, it's been one of their major downfalls but different people see it to different degrees, it is a phosphor based problem though, I think it's because the phosphors used to make greens takes longer to decay than the others so it shows up. I have 2 plasmas (LG and Panasonic) and I saw a little bit when they were brand new but as I said before it wasn't really noticeable and I haven't seen any since the 100-150 hour mark on either.
  17. kennyhkw

kennyhkw Member

Ratings:
    +13
    Maybe i should have worded it a bit better! it was 2am! lol

Anyway technology ain't perfect and never will be so there will always be little problems that affect a tiny amount of people, u just have to get the right equipment to suit ur own needs.:thumbsup:
  18. gizlaroc

gizlaroc Active Member

Ratings:
    +519
    One other thing worth mentioning, Panasonics always push so much green it is untrue, that's why calibrated screens always suffer less with phosphor trails...... probably?
  19. mbell

mbell Member

Ratings:
    +36
    I bought a 42" Panasonic plasma in 2003 and - to start with - motion blur was obvious. F1 cars would leave a distinct trail in their wake. But things improved quite dramatically after I'd used it for a while and in the end it was hardly noticeable.

As for my new Kuro... absolutely no motion blur whatsoever, right out of the box :)