1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

OnLive (Cloud) Gaming - The End of Consoles?

Discussion in 'Other Gaming Chat' started by majnu, Sep 22, 2011.

1. Crovon

Crovon Active Member

Ratings:
    +683
    The difernece is that in steam you download the game to your pc so all the data is stored on your hard drive.

With Onlive, you have nothing.
  2. Crovon

Crovon Active Member

Ratings:
    +683
    The idea is very nice and all, but this is nothing more than an overpriced, glorified, rental service in its current form.

I have no problem with digital downloads, but at least with them you own the data that you download and you have the option of copying it to other storage medium.

Also, if it's using 2gb to stream evey jour, then it wont be long before we start to see prices increased from isp's, unlimited downloads will be a thing of the past. The last thing we want to see is prices increased for broadband as well, on top of all the other household bills, shopping, etc.

At the end of the day, I am more than happy with buying games on DVD's as I know I can put it in the console, and it works, I dont have to be connect to the net to play it. You cannot do that with Onlive.

If they change the service to something similar to steam etc, where you get a 1TB box and can download games to it then just use their servers as dedicated ones, then yeh, sure, this has a future. But if they dont, then they can keep it.
  3. Crovon

Crovon Active Member

Ratings:
    +683
    So they are pushing graphical technology, 'far beyond what the 2012 generations of consoles can produce, farther than we've ever seen before'??

:laugh:

We havent even seen the specs for the next gen machines and if he really thinks that devs will only be looking to push graphical tech capabilities on Onlive, then he is very much mistaken!
  4. gavan

gavan Member

Ratings:
    +296
    It's a safe bet that the next gen of consoles will at best be able to match whatever is current in the PC world at that time ... but given that they have a lifecycle of 5+ years they will quickly fall behind. Or at least, that has been the case with every major console release so far.

A major strength of a service like OnLive is that the very latest technology is always available to the end user with no need for them to do anything on their end.
  5. BenchyUK

BenchyUK Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,217
    Whether people like it or not, this kind of game delivery is the future
  6. kav

kav Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +9,251
    Talk about ripping the customer off - I bought the wireless gaming receiver to allow me to use a 360 controller on the PC earlier this year for £12.99. The same item is now £40! Presumably they're cashing in on the release of Onlive and people's ignorance as to how much these items should cost. Disgraceful.
  7. Crovon

Crovon Active Member

Ratings:
    +683
    I hope not, I really do.

That will be the end of gaming for me.
  8. zAndy1

zAndy1 Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,292
    Why? The service is bound to improve, compression will improve so they can increase the resolution, if it gets to the point where graphically it's identical to a decent spec PC (which I admit it's not right now) then what's the problem with playing games this way? I'm really interested to see where this goes , when I read about it a year or so ago I thought there was no way it would work but it does and it's pretty damn polished already. For tablet owners this can only be a good thing, I can see why hardcore PC gamers will be sceptical and probably not very interested but there will be a lot of people for which something like this will be very useful. I admit though, it's gonna test out Skys truly unlimited downloads policy that's for sure ;)
  9. gavan

gavan Member

Ratings:
    +296
    I really like the service and have ordered a microconsole but I hope that it doesn't replace having your own PC/console. It will take too much control out of the hands of owners.

It would be a great complementary service though for those who wanted to rent/try games - or for games specifically coded to take advantage of absolute top-end hardware that most owners wouldn't be able to have access to otherwise.

It'd also be a great service for the likes of Virgin or BT to offer to their customers. An all in one PVR with microconsole functionality and true 'games on demand' would be a very compelling bit of kit.
  10. gavan

gavan Member

Ratings:
    +296

Supply and demand I imagine.

Still, looks like a very nifty bit of kit. I wish I'd known about it before as I'd definitely pay £13 to be able to use my existing wireless Xbox controller with a PC (or microconsole).

£40 is too steep, I see you can actually buy the Xbox 360 wireless controller for windows for £30 which is a complete Joypad + receiver that will apparently work with the microconsole too. Much better value.

EDIT: Just found the Crossfire (wireless adapter) peripheral on Play for £13.99 delivered :)
    Last edited: Sep 26, 2011
  11. Crovon

Crovon Active Member

Ratings:
    +683
    Because I wouldn't own anything. I would be paying £30 to rent a game until such time as they saw fit to remove it from the server.

Digital distribution is one thing, at least you get to have the data, but this is something else altogether. It puts too much power into the hands of the onlive providers and game publishers and strips the consumer of virtually everything else.

Yes it's very clever but I hope to god it isn't the future of gaming.
  12. zAndy1

zAndy1 Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,292
    But what do you own exactly if you buy a game on steam? Just a load of 1s an 0s on your HDD. At the end of the day as long as you can play the game does it really matter what format it comes in? Most of the time games are played through and that's it, with the exception of multiplayer perhaps but I'd still argue what does it matter whether it's streamed over the internet or stored on a local HDD, in fact personally I'd rather have the space for other stuff like films etc than have it taken up with loads of game installs. Each to their own I guess..
  13. everett_psycho

everett_psycho Active Member

Ratings:
    +894
    The difference is in 3 years you will never be able to play the game again, if your internet is down you can't play either. Why not have onlive for games and only stream films instead, its the same premise as if YouTube were to bin a video you couldn't watch it but if you had a download you could.

Personally i think its a great idea but it would be nice to have the option to download when game reaching the end of its life on servers so at least the £30 doesn't go completely down the toilet, if a games 3 years old most people with have a fighting chance running it by the time it comes to downlading it
  14. zAndy1

zAndy1 Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,292
    Well i seriously doubt I'd still be playing a game 3 years after its released anyway so for me the fact it may disappear after 3 years isnt really an issue. I don't get much time to play games really so tend to get new releases and play them through and move onto the next one, got a few queued up now I haven't got round to playing yet!
  15. bearman3784

bearman3784 Moderator

Ratings:
    +1,591
    Connected up the micro console last night to have a quick blast. There is an improvement over playing it wirelessly from my pc graphics wise, really nice package with all the bits needed and a surprisingly good controller, wouldn't of bothered getting it if had to pay rrp but at £23 for Saints Row 3 and £6 delivery for the console it seems great value
  16. Jonnywishbone

Jonnywishbone Member

Ratings:
    +5
    I went to the eurogamer expo just to get a micro-console inbetween appointments (as I was working).

Got in there only to be presented by a 3 hour queue to get one, sod that.

So I told the lady on the stand that I have already signed up, gave her my gamertag and she gave me a code to buy one for £1, and another code to buy a game for £1 because I purchased the playpack before buying the £1 first.

Quick gander at MW3, BF3 & Forza 4 and out back on road 15 minutes later:thumbsup:

Happy days, only thing is I had to pay £6.00 deliver and a few days later it still hasn't been dispatched!
  17. Neorion

Neorion Member

Ratings:
    +68
    I am waiting for the box to arrive. Been using this on the US servers for a while now.
    Shame that pc exclusives are few and far between just now but I am hoping the increased sales of this will help that.

Also check out Gaikai similar but browser based, you need a proxy just now though :)
  18. majnu

majnu Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +3,212
    From tapes to floppy discs to cartridges to discs to On Demand.
  19. majnu

majnu Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +3,212
    I kjnew it was coming. :hiya:

Xbox News: Microsoft preparing OnLive rival for 2012 - report - ComputerAndVideoGames.com

Microsoft is reportedly planning to launch a universal gaming portal next year designed to incorporate Xbox Live into all of the firm's devices and software.

According to Electronic Theatre, this new portal will enable Microsoft to launch Xbox 360 games across all formats, letting players purchase them once and continue playing them on any device.

"Having recently announced cloud storage for Xbox 360 gamers, it seems likely that Microsoft Studios will make available a game streaming service, allowing Xbox 360 games to be played on console, smartphone, tablet or PC," the reports says.

"Microsoft Studios has already seen minor success with regards to these types of application thanks to the likes of Full House Poker, an Xbox Live Arcade and Windows Phone 7 title that has proven to be a fertile testing ground, though things may be taken much further in the coming year."

With built-in Xbox Live functionality, Windows Phone devices currently enable users to "connect and play with friends" on the go, using their Xbox Live avatar and gamer profile to keep track of scores and wins.

Reported as Fake.
    http://onlivefans.com/news/fact-che...-streaming-game-service-to-rival-onlive/3373/
    Last edited: Oct 6, 2011
  20. iluvmelmac

iluvmelmac Member

Ratings:
    +73
    Just received an email my micro console has been shipped and because of the delay I also had a email telling me because of the delay I can pick a game of my choice for free . ontop of that I also get a game with the console for a pound not bad so far .
  21. CAS FAN

CAS FAN Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,909
    I must admit, a browse of these forums will show that I've been banging on about cloud gaming for probably the last 5 years but for me it's not quite time for it. Sure if you have got a lightning quick connection then it's maybe a better experience but with my 4-5 meg connection it is certainly lacking. There's too much lag in the controls and the resolution is often fairly poor.

For now the Steam model is much better for me and storage space isn't a problem. If I ever do fill my 1 tb HDD with games then i'll just stick another one in.

I still think it's the way we will all get our media (games, video, music etc) in future, but for now it's just not feasible for me to game on the cloud.
  22. iluvmelmac

iluvmelmac Member

Ratings:
    +73
    I don't agree was playing arkham asylum last night and the controls were so fluid and I'm on a 7/8 meg connection I really believe this is the future.
  23. CAS FAN

CAS FAN Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,909
    There's nothing for you not to agree with in my statement. It's not good enough on my connection and there are certainly worse connections out there than mine. I'm not saying that there are folk with better connections who can run it ok, intact I did say that there are people who can use it ok, so you are actually agreeing with me.

Like I say, I think it's certainly the future but at the moment the infrastructure isn't good enough for it to be for everyone. It's certainly not a feasible option for me as things stand.
  24. Dijital Dejavu

Dijital Dejavu Member

Ratings:
    +0
    The only problem with onlive is the screen resolution etc its the era of hd gaming and the better the graphics of newer games and consoles
    delivered then onlive wont be able to keep up with image quality.

Also on another note, i notice a MASSIVE difference when a wired connection compared to wireless i also use a program called tuneup utilites and turn on the turbo mode it prioritises the current program or game your using over all other pc processes :)
    Last edited: Oct 8, 2011
  25. ursine benn

ursine benn Member

Ratings:
    +38
    I like Onlive, but I have to admit that the function of cloud streaming should go hand in hand and along side with physical media.
    A feature like Onlive would work really well as an option or feature on either the Xbox or PS3, much like the streaming service that is included with your physical media renting on Lovefilm.

Onlive should beware, if anything like this ever comes to the major consoles then Onlive will be finished for good. The major consoles have the ability and hardware to appeal to those who want cloud gaming, and those that want disks and cartridges, Onlive, cannot.
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  26. BigNevster25

BigNevster25 Member

Ratings:
    +23
    I played Homefront yesterday, It played much better than the xbox360 version very fluid, but it kept on saying 'none or low internet connection', I am on BT infinity and get way over 20 meg constantly, I cant see this being the future if your internet is down you will just get out your console!

+ it seems a bit expensive
  27. ursine benn

ursine benn Member

Ratings:
    +38
    If you can get 20meg using anything BT provides then anythings possible. Including flying pigs, unicorns and the germans gaining a sense of humour.
  28. BenchyUK

BenchyUK Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,217
    They only thing i find with Onlive is that they tout of being able to play games far succeeding what current gen consoles ca do but i havent seen ANY games which show that yet.

Batman Arkham Asylum looks just as good onLive as console but nothing has blown my PS3 out of the water yet.

Get the PC Version of Battlefield 3 running on the service and i'll be impressed.
  29. BigNevster25

BigNevster25 Member

Ratings:
    +23
    I get 30-35meg via BT infinity (fibre optic) at most times during the day!

I have no connection problems at all with xbox live or PSN but seem to have issues with Onlive on my Windows PC, no problems on my Mac so until i can find a way to use my 360 controler on the Mac this service will be removed after the trail!

(looks outside then a pig flys past, then I go outside and ride my unicorn to meet my German Friend and share a joke or too and have a right laugh!)
  30. sid77

sid77 Member

Ratings:
    +26
    Hey guys,

I'm on 20MB with Virgin Media and I can't even get into the service! It comes up with a "performance warning" telling me my connection isn't good enough. ***!? If I continue it just lags out and tells me the same thing.

I connected to a support agent via live chat and he didn't help much, just told me to keep trying over the course of a few days.

Anyone else using Onlive with Virgin Media?