Home Entertainment & Technology Resource

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Onkyo TXSR309 set up

Discussion in 'Integrated Amplifiers & Receivers' started by iabw12, Feb 23, 2012.

1. iabw12

iabw12 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Please bear with me, as I'm a complete novice when it comes to sound set-ups. I had an all-in-one Samsung 5.1 system and the amp/DVD stopped playing DVD's - so I bought a separate Sony Blu-ray and last weekend I bought the Onkyo. Here's the set up from the Onkyo
    HDMI out - TV
    HDMI 1 to Blu-ray
    HDMI 2 to Sky HD+
    HDMI3 unassigned
    Optical 2 (TOSlink) to Sky HD+
    I have the HDMI 2 audio set to optical
    When I check the sound set up on Sky HD channels, it states for the telly input 2.0 ch DD and output 5.0 ch DD. Why is there only 2 channels on the input? As it was an all-in-one, the SW is passive, and not connected. I realise the speakers are not right and will replace them when I get some dosh. However, is this right?
    Many thanks for any advice.
  2. StevieBuck

StevieBuck Active Member

Ratings:
    +685
    I'm not too clear on what you mean here?

In order to get 5.1 Dolby Digital audio from the Sky box's optical output, you must have the digital audio setting set to 'Dolby D'. You must also of course be watching something that has 5.1 Dolby Digital audio. Usually this is denoted by "DD" on the programme info banner, but this isn't always correct. I'm fairly sure that the BBC HD preview that runs during the day broadcasts with 5.1 audio so that's a good place to start.
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  3. PSM1

PSM1 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +3,089
    Have you selected the optical input correctly and it is not taking sound from the HDMI (which is only stereo) by mistake?
    Also what impedance are your speakers.Most all in one speakers are very low impedance and I would not use anything below 4 ohms with the receiver you have. If you do you run the risk of damaging the amp due to the increased load they will put on the receiver.
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  4. iabw12

iabw12 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the help and advice. I wrongly assumed that all HD channels were 5.1 which I've found out isn't so. I realise there's a problem with the speakers but it's a question of money. Any thoughts on a budget / starter system?
  5. PSM1

PSM1 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +3,089
    What would your budget be for the speakers?
    I was just warning that if they are low impedance speakers then they could damage your receiver.
  6. iabw12

iabw12 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    To be honest money is very tight but I don't want to damage the amp. So something cheap and cheerful to tide me over, so the most basic I guess.
  7. PSM1

PSM1 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +3,089
    You could get something like a pair of Wharfedale Diamond 9.0 from Richer Sounds for £40 this would give you 2.0 to start and certainly keeps costs down. Another option would be the Yamaha NP set in richer sounds for around £100.