Home Entertainment & Technology Resource

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Onkyo tx-sr806 blue dots on black in 1080p

Discussion in 'Integrated Amplifiers & Receivers' started by ghostrider2409, Nov 11, 2008.

1. ghostrider2409

ghostrider2409 Member

Ratings:
    +2
    I've recently bought Onkyo tx-sr806 receiver and hooked it up to Samsung DLP TV via HDMI. Video sources are XBOX360 and PS3 also via HDMI. I use receiver for video switching.

The problem is that there are randomly placed blue dots on dark parts of the video. There are so many that it makes watching outer space scenes from movies Battlestar Gallactica and Star Waes unbearable. This applies to both PS3 and XBOX360. If the picture is paused some of the dots flicker.

I've tried connecting consoles to the TV directly with either of the 3 cables and the picture is then perfect.

I've tried messing with all HDMI settings in the receiver and the dots are still there.

However when I set console output to anything lower than 1080p (1080i or 720p) the dots are gone. If I set the receiver to upconvert to 1080p the dots are still gone.

So this leads me to believe that this is something related to HDMI inputs on the receiver.

Entire home theater is connected to single surge protector so there is common ground among consoles, receiver and the TV.

At this moment I'm out of clues and going to contct Onkyo support. But just wanted to check in on the forums to find out if this is a common problem or I did something wrong or should I just RMA the receiver?
  2. Mark.Yudkin

Mark.Yudkin Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,274
    There is nothing the matter with your receiver or the rest of your kit. Rather you seem to be using category 1 HDMI cable. Category 1 cable is fine up to 1080i, but for 1080p you need category 2 cable - the symptoms are as you describe them. Such cable will say "category 2", or sometimes just "high speed".
  3. ghostrider2409

ghostrider2409 Member

Ratings:
    +2
    I'm pretty sure that the cables I use are good for 1080p. Although I don't have the original packaging handy I'm pretty sure it said 1080p. The cable has the following markings on it: "E194698 AWM 20276 80'C 30V 34AWG by Monster Cable. It's 1FT long.

Another thing to note is that same cables work fine at 1080p when consoles are connected directly as I've written in my original post. These cables also transmit upconverted 1080p signal from the receiver just fine.

I called Onkyo today and they said that this is a known problem. However they couldn't comment if it's entire TX-SR806 model or just some of the units. Nor would they say when would they have a solution.

I'm taking the receiver to an authorized service center tomorrow and if they wouldn't be able to fix the problem I'll RMA and get myself different unit.

Does anyone have a TX-SR806 that works properly at 1080p?
  4. -Anton-

-Anton- Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I have the same problem. I use the 806 with a htpc and HDMI cables.
    For me the problem is only noticable at 1080p,
    any other resolution is ok.
    Have you tried it with a stand-alone Blu-Ray player?
    And have you heard of any solution to the problem?
    I would hate to RMA this otherwise really good reciever.

edit: it seems its only a problem when the reciever is warm.
    Last edited: Nov 30, 2008
  5. ghostrider2409

ghostrider2409 Member

Ratings:
    +2
    I've received several PMs so might as well reply to the thread.

It has been more than 2 weeks since I turned the receiver in for repairs.
    At first the shop wasn't able to repro the problem. They are currently following up with Onkyo.

As far as I understand from what the shop tells me Onkyo is aware of the problem but so far no official bulletin with the solution was issued.

So if I were in a market for a receiver I'd stay away from this particular model for now.

Hopefully I'll get some kind of resolution within a week. I'll keep this thread updated.

To reiterate: it seems that the problem is not specific to particular signal source. It reproduced on both XBOX and PS3
  6. alchemistkevin

alchemistkevin Active Member

Ratings:
    +133
    What 'shop' is this?

Doesn't it need to go back to Genserve to detect/fix your problem, if your dealer is looking at this, can't they just refund you rather than keep you waiting while they "follow up with Onkyo"
  7. ghostrider2409

ghostrider2409 Member

Ratings:
    +2
    It's local Onkyo authorized warranty repair shop.

Unfortunately I bought on newegg.com - they have "no-return" policy on this particular item, unfortunately.

Technicians from the shop said that manufacturers sometimes just say "screw you" to customers on a matter of "minor model flaws" so I don't know what will happen next.

Technically there may be grounds for false advertising class action law suit against Onkyo. But realistically I myself probably will not bother.

I will keep this thread udpated on the developments.

Apparently more and more people discover this problem: Google for TX-SR806 Blue Dots 1080p - when I started this thread results were quite irrelevant. Now there many similar reports and this thread ranks #1 :)
    Last edited: Dec 15, 2008
  8. Zappes

Zappes Member

Ratings:
    +11
    I got my 806 last monday and had exactly the same problem: 1080p signals from all sources (PS3, XBox 360, Toshiba HD-XE1) created a vertical line of flickering blue pixels at the left screen border as well as occasional flickering blue pixels all over the screen. It took me about 5 minutes to decide what to do next - 10 minutes later, everything was boxed up again and on the next day I sent it back. The replacement unit should arrive tomorrow and I'm quite anxious about that problem. This sounds like a general problem of the model and I'm rather convinced that the replacement won't work, either.

If the replacement has the same issues, I'll simply send it back again and try to get the dealer to send me a Denon 2309 instead. I surely won't accept that a device like that doesn't work as advertised for the most basic functions like routing a HDMI signal from the inputs to the output - that's just as if the volume knob didn't work if you ask me.
  9. miketurner

miketurner Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I've just bought this unit today and having the exact same problem. Let me know how your replacement unit goes Zappes, as I'd be interested to know if this is a problem with the entire range or just a few batches!

10. smctmd99

smctmd99 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    TX-SR706
    Samsung HL67A750 67"

I am having the exact same issues. I have however noticed that this happens only while playing a game and not during BD playback. I have watched many BD movies and have had zero issues with this but most games have some sort of blue floating around in there.

Any fix yet?
  11. Zappes

Zappes Member

Ratings:
    +11
    Just out of curiosity... Do you have the issue when playing normal DVDs? I read that the 806 actually does an unprocessed passed-through of 1080p24 signals while 50 and 60 Hz signals get processed by the Faroudja which doesn't seem to be a good thing at all. Your observations seem to back that theory, and if normal DVDs (which are played at 50 Hz) would cause the problem, you could be absolutely sure that it's not an issue with your TV, your cables or your Playstation but with the video processor. Knowing this for sure and having a reproducible test scenario would surely help when sending in the device for your repairs which you should absolutely do.
  12. miketurner

miketurner Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Hey Zappes, how did your replacement go?

I saw a post today from someone saying they fixed the issue by turning the noise reduction off but this didn't work for me :(

Contacted RicherSounds today who have ordered me a replacement to arrive on Friday and also contacted Onkyo who tell me that they don't know about this problem which I find hard to believe.

Would love to know if your replacement fixed the problem as I am going down the same route!
  13. Zappes

Zappes Member

Ratings:
    +11
    Hi Mike,

the package has ended up at the post office because the dealer sent the replacement to my home address instead of the office, so nobody was there to take it. I'll pick it up today after work and I'll report my findings afterwards.

To be honest: I don't really expect the replacement to work, but we'll see.
  14. Zappes

Zappes Member

Ratings:
    +11
    Got the replacement, tested it, blue pixels flickering merrily in the known position. :suicide:

I've definitily had it now, I wouldn't want to have one of those receivers even if it worked properly. The dealer agreed to exchange for a Denon 2309, so the story should end as soon as I receive that one. I won't get it before January 1st, but I really prefer waiting to the blue dot pest.
  15. miketurner

miketurner Member

Ratings:
    +0
    That's a real shame, as I can probably expect the same....

I looked at the Denon 2309, do you think it will produce as good a sound quality as the Onkyo? - The Denon isn't THX certified although this doesn't mean it failed, may just mean that they didn't pay for the test.

The Onkyo is also 180wpc output whilst the Denon is is just 117, but as I have 100w speakers not sure this would really make a difference anyway.

Real shame that the Onkyo has this issue and what's worse is that Onkyo aren't confirming the issue exists and I'm not prepared to go down the route of sending it back for repair while I go without anything only a few days of buying a brand new AV received :( - STUMPED!

16. dalumberjack

dalumberjack Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Just a thought but there are two versions of this reciever out. one is the 806B (earlier version) and one is the 806S. Has anyone looked to see which one they have?

I'm wondering if its related to one version over another? I was going to buy this receiver today. Glad I stumbled upon this thread. This is why I do my homework lol.

Let me know if there is a difference among the versions. I have read a lot of threads and some people have this problem and some don't.

Anyone got a replacement back yet that worked?
  17. miketurner

miketurner Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Out of interest what kind of TV do you have (people with the problem)?

I have a Samung 40" and I've seen a few posts that seem to include Samsung in them, just wondering if the issue is only seen with this particular brand of TV - whilst still obviously an incompatibility on the AV Receiver of course.

P.S below is the response I got from Onkyo. Anyones thoughts?

Dear Mikethank you very much for your message and your interest in ONKYO products.
    You have reached the support/help desk for ONKYO Europe.
    We are sorry, but we can't find out from here what the exact reason is for this problem.
    Please for service and repair information get in contact with your local authorised ONKYO service center.
    "info@genserve.co.uk

Of course the receiver supports "HDCP" and transferring "EDIT" information.

If this to thinks not working correctly, we are afraid there is a handshake "timing" problem.
    Maybe the reason for this is that the time gap of the source for receiving the confirmation of the TV set is too small.
    Of our experience we know that in many cases adapting HDMI/DVI is critical and can cause problems.

Of our experience the HDMI cable can make trouble with similar effects !
    Please if is possible to check this possibility.

We hope to have given you appropriate help and information and would very much appreciate your decision for ONKYO products now and in the future.
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 18, 2008
  18. miketurner

miketurner Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi, not quite sure you are right about 806B and 806S being 2 different models (older and newer).

The B and the S signify the colour of the unit i.e. Black or Silver... The model on the unit just shows 806 but on the box has a B sticker to indicate that it is black.

19. dalumberjack

dalumberjack Member

Ratings:
    +0
    my mistake. Didn't know there was a black and silver version hah. Should have looked into it more.

That response about the HDMI cable... Has anyone tried purchasing a different cable than the one they have to see if it makes a difference?

I really want to purchase this receiver. It is locally only $669 which is not a bad price at all. Need to replace my old Onkyo dvs-tx939

I hope a fix comes out soon for this issue. I have yet to see how many people don't have the problem compared to how many that do.
  20. Zappes

Zappes Member

Ratings:
    +11
    @Miketurner

To answer your two questions: I don't have a Samsung, it's a Sony Bravia 52X3500 that makes my room more beautiful. As far as sound quality is concerned, I have to amit that I have never ever heard any difference between two amps. Well, OK, my very first amp was a 20 years old Pioneer receiver that made crackling noises from time to time, but apart from that I guess that my speaker setup, room geometry and lack of extreme hearing ability mask any little difference there may be.

That's not to say that people who say they hear a difference are lying - I just know for a fact that I don't and neither does my wife, so I can simply buy those devices becuase of the features they have while completely ignoring qualitative aspects like that. :)

@Dalumberjack

I tested cables from Phillips, Clicktronic, Microsoft, Sony and Toshiba in practically every combination possible. All cables are 3-5 ft long and certified for 1080p. I am absolutely sure that this is not a cable issue - especially as I noticed that the problem becomes worse the longer you watch. This looks like some kind of a thermal problem, but as I tested the replacement unit (which I sent back this morning) free-standing on the ground with the whole room of cold morning air around it, it's obviously not the kind of problem you cause yourself by using a too tiny cabinet for the device. It's just a bad piece of hardware that I'm happy to be rid off for good.

@All

Read some interesting things about the Denon 2309 vs. Onkyo 806 on the net before deciding on that particular receiver as a replacement for that piece of scrap electronics they call "806". What tipped the scales was the the fact that multiple testers have reported the Denon to run _very_ much cooler than the Onkyo which I see as a massive advantage. It doesn't completely make up for the 1 HDMI the Onkyo has more, but it's a very nice thing, though.

Gna, I'd really have liked to have 5 HDMI ports. I simply can't understand why Onkyo had to deliver such a massive failure with this model - it would have been exactly what I wanted if it had actually worked as advertised. :(
  21. VMF

VMF Member

Ratings:
    +0
    got this receiver few days ago and yes, i got them too!
    so far i have not decided if i want to return it or not. i reduced the output on my htpc to 1080i and turned on upconversion in the receiver settings to 1080p and i dont have the dots anymore. im not sure if im loosing much of a quality this way. should not be much.
    does anyone know if 876 has the same problem?
  22. Zappes

Zappes Member

Ratings:
    +11
    That one is very, very simple to answer: Return it. You spent quite some money on a device that doesn't even perform its most basic function correctly, this is not acceptable. This might be OK for some people (not for me, though) if this was a cheap thing for 50 Euros, but it isn't.

Vote with your wallet, don't let Onkyo sell you broken Hardware. It doesn't matter if you can potentially live with the problems, really. It only matters that the product is broken.
  23. UnionForce

UnionForce Member

Ratings:
    +1
    I've just ordered one of these from superfi as it was heavily discounted, but what I want to know is all you guys experiencing the blue spots are any of you using stand alone blu ray players or are you all using ps3's as blu ray players??
  24. famoussas

famoussas Member

Ratings:
    +13
    My 806 runs no problem with the PS3.
  25. UnionForce

UnionForce Member

Ratings:
    +1
    When did you purchase yours mate??

Just want to know if you may have had one from a new batch? if so Onkyo may have sorted the problem on all new batches.
  26. helter

helter Member

Ratings:
    +2
    hi there
    i am interested in this amp also
    but the superfi site are showing out of stock and the stores wont take credit payments over the phone
    is there anywhere else that will match their price
    thanks
  27. UnionForce

UnionForce Member

Ratings:
    +1
    sevenoaks and richer sounds mate so i've read on here!

Superfi are still taking orders to be delivered in 7-10 days if your willing to wait.
  28. miketurner

miketurner Member

Ratings:
    +0
    UnionForce. I am only using a PS3 but have read through lots of forums and reports from other consoles such as the XBox and standalone players. All the forums I have found so far are listed below:

http://www.avforums.com/forums/onkyo-owners-forum/885026-blue-dots-onkyo-806-via-ps3.html

http://www.avforums.com/forums/onkyo-owners-forum/886769-onkyo-blue-dots-via-ps3-fix-read-here.html

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1060618

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?p=15316825

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?p=15135348

http://www.avforums.com/forums/onkyo-owners-forum/861460-onkyo-tx-sr806-blue-dots-black-1080.html

http://shopper.cnet.com/av-receivers/onkyo-tx-sr806-black/4014-6466_9-33181377.html -> User Reviews

http://www.xbox-360.co.za/forum/audio-system-discussion/33628-upscaling-blue-dots-i-think.html

VIDEO OF ISSUE:

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=Y4eflDy0GNk

Last edited: Dec 19, 2008
  29. Zappes

Zappes Member

Ratings:
    +11
    The problem occurred with the folllowing sources:
    • Playstation 3
    • XBox 360
    • Toshiba HD-XE1 HD DVD player

For the few who have no problem with the AVR: Have you actually fed 1080p over HDMI to the unit?
  30. famoussas

famoussas Member

Ratings:
    +13
    Only got it on Wednesday, ordered it a week before so perhaps the new batch?