Onkyo TX-SR674E - HDMI Amp £499 any good?

Hey Daerve.
I think the 604 is mostly the same minus one or two things (HDMI upscaling I believe?).
So how do you find the 604?
Impressed?
What u running thru' it?

Look forward to it Fozz!

Can someone tell me what signals the HDMI/component outputs accepts via pass through (720p/1080i/1080p etc)?

Hey Daerve.
I think the 604 is mostly the same minus one or two things (HDMI upscaling I believe?).
So how do you find the 604?
Impressed?
What u running thru' it?

Pretty much the same yeah, 674 has 10 watts extra power and HDMI upscaling and I think a slightly different processor.

It'd just be nice to have the HDMI upscaling for a bit of future proofing.

I'm running sky+, Xbox 360 with HD DVD and a wii. I have to say yes I am impressed, the sound and picture quality is great, setup is easy.

For the money I don't think there's a better amp out there than the 674 at the moment. I love my 604 and with the 674 being the same price I paid for the 604 I doubt in a million years you'll be disapointed.

i am very pleased with my 604 as it does everything i need and sounds really good aswell. Even better was the price.

Cheers guys.
Great to hear the good feedback the Onkyo amps are getting. Really looking forward to mine now!

Underdecided between this and the cambridge 640r :confused:

No they have dropped the price its £200 cheaper tan the 640r :confused:

Can anyone who's recently set up a 674 with a Sky + or Sky HD box running with an optical connection confirm that they are able to receive uniterupted Dolby digital Sky broadcasts without the dreaded sound drop out problems ?

I'm running sky+ via optical and it's never dropped out at all with my 604.:thumbsup:

Can someone tell me what signals the HDMI/component outputs accepts via pass through (720p/1080i/1080p etc)?

So I take it, nobody knows? I've looked through the manual and couldn't see any mention of the answer? :confused:

So I take it, nobody knows? I've looked through the manual and couldn't see any mention of the answer? :confused:

Sorry mate, no idea. The manuals up the loft and I don't have the sources to test it.:rolleyes:

Just had a look on the Onkyo website and it says the amp will pass progressive signals so I would assume it would work all the way up to 1080p.

Mornin'

The Onkyo TX-SR674 will pass through any signal upto 1080P on either component or HDMI.

If you are getting sound drop out from Sky Plus or Sky HD, try the optical input on the amp with another component like the DVD pleyer and see if it happens. If it doesn't then it is your Sky box that's the problem no the amp, if the sound still drops out then the amp might need looking at.

Regards

Mornin'

If you are getting sound drop out from Sky Plus or Sky HD, try the optical input on the amp with another component like the DVD pleyer and see if it happens. If it doesn't then it is your Sky box that's the problem no the amp, if the sound still drops out then the amp might need looking at.

Regards

I know it's not the amp as I've tried using a DVD player which is fine and tried different optical line in's on the amp all of which are fine with DVD but not with Sky.

To make matters worse, If I set the sky box to output stereo rather than Dolby - no sound drop out and even weirder still, on Disney cinematic with the sky box set to dolby also no sound drop out.

This is a well documented problem with Sky and is to do with the way Sky encode the dolby signal on the movie chanells and I believe the only cure is a newer amp which can process the sky encoding. Hence my question asking if anyone has this problem on the 674

Hence my question asking if anyone has this problem on the 674[/QUOTE]

So can anyone comment on how dolby digital from Sky + / Sky HD works with the Onkyo via an optical connection ?

Simple. Make sure you set the audio output on the SKY HD menu to dolby digital via the optical. You will then need to assign the input on the amp to either Optical 1, 2, or 3. The amp will then display on screen what ever is being outputted by the broadcast so you can see on the display.

So, what are owners views of the Onkyo 674e then?

Does it deliver all you wanted it to? Does it punch above its weight/price point?

Thanks,

Steve

PICT2768.jpg

PICT2772.jpg

Exceeded my expectations and certainly punches above its weight, especially as i got it for below £350. Tested it against the denon 2307 band sony 3200es.

I got it as more of a "tester" receiver so i could have something capable of multichannel sound but that i would only keep for a short while until a receiver came out that forfilled all my needs. Sound from hd dvd, especially truehd is awsome almost undiscribable on superman returns. Setup is easy and found the switch from years of denon use a breeze.

Having only hdmi from hd dvd and tvdrive reduces cables and makes life a bit easier.

Music from cd lacks crispness unless classical, and mp3 from my mac over optical is awfull, But what would you expect.

The only things i found lacking are being able to re-name inputs and the lack of 7.1 lpcm. Not that any hd yet.

If these two points are a must, then sony 3200es is a good bet, although around £150 more. I tested both back to back and couldnt get my head round where the extra £150 was going.

Regards :thumbsup:

dannykipling - I also plan to buy a stop-gap receiver and have strongly got my eye on this one. Can I just ask, where did you get this for 'below £350'?

What features does it specifically not have that would only make it only a stop gap receiver? My budget is tight, and this seems a great purchase, but I don't want to miss something useful out :)

Well I'm waiting for amps for HDMI 1.3 outputs as well as the ability to decode TrueHD and DTS-HD MA, before I spend a lot of money on one.

saw this in the manual online

(TX-SR604/604E, TX-SR8460)
Digital video signals received at HDMI IN
1 and 2 are only output by the HDMI OUT
and sent to your TV. Composite video,
S-Video, and component video input signals
are not output by the HDMI OUT.
Note:
The onscreen setup menus are not output by the HDMI OUT, so you’ll also need to make a composite video, S-Video,
or component video connection to your TV (see page 24).
(TX-SR674/674E, TX-SR8467)
Digital video signals received at HDMI IN 1 and 2 are only output by the HDMI OUT.
By configuring the AV receiver, input signals from the composite video, S-Video, and component video jacks can be
output through the HDMI OUT (see page 45).

does this mean that both don't send the menu out of HDMI, or just the 604 doesn't, and the 674 does?

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom