Home Entertainment & Technology Resource

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Onkyo TX-SR508 subwoofer problem

Discussion in 'Subwoofers' started by Stano, Jun 30, 2011.

1. Stano

Stano Member

Ratings:
    +1
    Hi,

I am new to this forum (and forums in general so please forgive any faux pas's I make make.

I have an Onkyo TX-SR508 which i bought in January this year for £400 from Richer Sounds in London. In April, having used the system without fault for nearly 4 months, I started having problems with the subwoofer. I noticed that sometimes no sound would come from the subwoofer regardless of how much I turned up the volume. I also noticed that the light on the front of it (red when in standby and blue when active) was now showing both red and blue (red in the centre with the out part blue). I found that if I unplugged and then plugged the subwoofer back in it would work for some hours and then revert back.

I took the subwoofer back to Richer Sounds and they 'sent it to an Onkyo engineer.' I receieved the item back a week later. Look it home and it is still doing the same thing. Richer Sounds say that as they can't find a fault they cannot replace the item.

Can anyone help me solve the problem and get the subwoofer working again as the audio I have now sounds flat without the subwoofer. Any advice would be appreciated.
  2. cloudnine

cloudnine Member

Ratings:
    +20
    It could be related to the sound that the amp is receiving.. I had the same setup for my 1st system and depending on what channel or program I was watching with sky.. it would turn itself off or on seemingly are will.
  3. Stano

Stano Member

Ratings:
    +1
    The problem isn't that the sound goes on and off - there is no sound at all from the subwoofer. The light on the subwoofer flashes red and blue at the same time. Nothing I do makes it work.
  4. KUBBY

KUBBY Active Member

Ratings:
    +669
    Hi and Welcome.

My Knee jerk reaction would be to take the whole lot back to Richers as being not fit for purpose.

You have bought a 5.1 surround sound system and your getting intermittent .1
    Just because they cant find a fault,doesn't mean there isn't one.

Could you just clarify what you have? The 508 is an AV Receiver on its own.Are you saying that you bought the Onkyo Speaker package and the whole thing was considered a System?

K.
  5. cloudnine

cloudnine Member

Ratings:
    +20
    have you got the sub on in the settings?? and crossover set at 80??
    Did it make any noise when you ran audyssey??
  6. Stano

Stano Member

Ratings:
    +1
    Yes the subwoofer is on in the settings. Not sure what the crossover is. It was working fine then suddenly stopped after about 3 months use. Nothing in the settings had hanged so there is no reason for the sudden stop that I know of.
  7. Richer Sounds

Richer Sounds Member Assured Advertiser

Ratings:
    +163
    Hi,

I was sorry to read about the problems you've been having with your subwoofer.

So that I can ensure this situation is resolved to your satisfaction asap, please would you PM me with your sale and contact details?

Meanwhile, my apologies for any inconvenience and I hope to hear from you soon.

Many thanks,

John Clayton
    Operations Director
    Richer Sounds
  8. Stano

Stano Member

Ratings:
    +1
    Hi John,

thanks for taking a personal interest in this matter.

The Onkyo receiver was bought on the 4th December 2010 at the Richer Sounds store on Fulham road in London. The sales number is CS276024164.

I took the subwoofer back to Richer Sounds on 4 different occassions. I was given a loan replacement each time. Every time I collect the subwoofer back I was told that it was fixed, only to get home and find that the same problem still persisted. One one of the visits the manager told me that they couldn't find the fault and that it would help if I brought the reciever itself in. So I had to disconnect all the cables and audio sources and take it in. Still the were not able to replicate the problem and in the ens I was told there was nothing more that could be done as my warranty would only cover faulty equipment and they could find no fault.

So here I am with an unusable subwoofer at home which means my audio quality for music and movies is seriously impaired. Any assistance you can offer to remedy this situation would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers

Stan.
    PS: Apologies for not PM'ing this message. I can't find the option to do so on here which is why I currently have not put in my contact details. Once I find out how to PM I will send you all the relevant details.
  9. Stano

Stano Member

Ratings:
    +1
    Hi Kubby,

What was purchased (in one huge box) was the TX-SR508 receiver, all the speakers, subwoofer, ipod connector, sensor for setting up the speakers and the remote controller. Yes, I'd say it was sold as a system.

Cheers

Stan
  10. BringBackVinyl

BringBackVinyl Member

Ratings:
    +1
    Hi Stan,

I know this is an old thread, but can I ask if you got this resolved? It sounds exactly like the problem I'm having with my system (purchased 6 weeks ago). Would be interested to know if you managed to establish whether the fault lie with the sub, cable or receiver.

Cheers,
    Dave
  11. Stano

Stano Member

Ratings:
    +1
    Hi Dave,

as may notice from the responses to my original post, John Clayton, the Operations Manager for Richer Sounds (where I bought the original receiver and subwoofer from) got involved. He arranged for the item to be collected from me and sent (yet again) to the Onkyo service centre. I was called from there by the engineer working on it who said (again) that he couldn't find a fault. Because of John Clayton's help or contacts Onkyo finally agreed to replay all the inner workings of the subwoofer. It was then returned to me and since then the problem has completely ceased.

Cheers

Stan
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  12. BringBackVinyl

BringBackVinyl Member

Ratings:
    +1
    Hi Stan,

Thanks for the info. Mine has just gone away for inspection/repair so hopefully they'll be able to trace the fault.

Dave
  13. DeanO1uk

DeanO1uk New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Stano i have had exactly the same problem happen to me. i have exactly the same probs with both lights on red and blue. I also took mine back to Richer Sounds they checked it and said exactly the same. nothing wrong with either amp or Bass unit. i heard the bass unit being heard in the shop off another amp and worked fine. I got it back home set it up and low and behold the blue and red lights came on as yours did. i am now wondering if it anything to do with the audyssey set up. i also tried that but am still stuck with the blue/red lights. What would you recommend i do. Is there an answer on any of these forums. I am still baffled as to why i got the same problem you did and so many others..!!!!!!!!!!!!! Hope to hear from you soon or anyone for that matter with a conclusion........... Thanks all.!!!!!!!
  14. BringBackVinyl

BringBackVinyl Member

Ratings:
    +1
    Hi,

Don't know if your problem is the same, but I did some experimenting with mine and found that the problem occurred when the sub went into 'auto-standby' after receiving no signal for a time. It made a popping sound when doing this, after which it wouldn't make any sound when re-awoken and the blue light coming back on. I found I could reset it by switching off and on at the wall socket (but not by using the switch on the back). It would then work fine again until going back into standby.

It went to Onkyo's agents for repair who confirmed a fault and, after a few weeks of waiting for a part, I was sent a completely new sub instead. I've had this for 3 weeks now and is (so far) working fine. :thumbsup:

Dave
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  15. DeanO1uk

DeanO1uk New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Dave,

Thanks for your response i did just that. took the plug out of the wall with it off behind and put back in say 5 mins after and hey presto. WORKING again....... How do they into standby and is there anyway around this so i dont have to keep unplugging it. ok unplugging it seems ok but is it normal......? lets hope it doesnt go again !! ? Anyway thanks again and i like your name. BRINGBACKVINYL... It will never doe put it that way..!!!!! ? :) :smashin:
  16. DeanO1uk

DeanO1uk New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Saying that after leaving the bass unit to go into standy-by i had to take plug out again. Maybe another trip to richer sounds with it for replacement. So its not just the plug take out unless it is in settings. i also dont get the popping sound you were onabout anymore where as i used to. i will give it another try and let you know if i do get any popping after resetting..meaning plug take out.? quite annoying to be honest..!!! :mad:
  17. BringBackVinyl

BringBackVinyl Member

Ratings:
    +1
    The sub is supposed to go into standby to save power when you're not using it, you shouldn't have to switch it on and off yourself at all. You obviously have the same fault I did, so I would take it back to get it repaired or exchanged.