Home Entertainment & Technology Resource

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Onkyo TX-SR508 and Wii

Discussion in 'Integrated Amplifiers & Receivers' started by dave77, Jun 13, 2010.

1. dave77

dave77 Member

Ratings:
    +92
    Just setup my 508, got a few things wired up to HDMI 1,2,3 and working fine. I've plugged the Wii into the Yellow/White/Red inputs under "Game" but can't figure out how to switch to that input on the unit, can anyone help :blush:
  2. dave77

dave77 Member

Ratings:
    +92
    bump
  3. anthdan

anthdan Member

Ratings:
    +0
    You need to run Yellow from the receiver to the TV. The 508 does not upconvert to HDMI
  4. dave77

dave77 Member

Ratings:
    +92
    Cheers, just yellow is it, not white/red
  5. anthdan

anthdan Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Red & White carry the audio. Yellow carries the video. You can connect yellow from the Wii directly to the TV or yellow from the Wii to the 508 and yellow from the 508 to the TV. Red & White need only go to the 508 for audio.
  6. Ice Coffee

Ice Coffee Member

Ratings:
    +1
    You really should get the component out leads for the Wii, single Yellow (also known as composite or CVBS) gives the worst picture quality (apart from RF)

The leads are cheap on fleabay.
  7. dave77

dave77 Member

Ratings:
    +92
    cheers, I'll give one a go. Do you know how to connect through the Onkyo with the Wii component cable? Do I need another component cable from Onkyo to TV
    Last edited: Jun 19, 2010
  8. Ice Coffee

Ice Coffee Member

Ratings:
    +1
    I dont know about your onkyo but mine will take a component input and scale it up to 1080i or p (cant remember which) and then send it out the HDMI, which I believe was a feature you were looking for !
  9. krsmarie

krsmarie Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Ok...I am having the same issue as the guy before...Right now, I can how up the red/white and get sound under game, but no picture no matter where i put the yellow...My problem is there is NO tv to hook up to..I have a projector in a theater room...but you are saying that I can purchase what...a composite cable? When I type cvbs on ebay it pulls up a bunch of converter boxes...is that what I need to get...then if that's it...how do i hook it up?
  10. Ice Coffee

Ice Coffee Member

Ratings:
    +1
    You need to look for the wii COMPONENT cable on flea bay, it is 5 connectors not 3.

Plumb it in to the amps component in then go into the menu of the amp and tell it to associate the video connected via component to the game input

You may also have to go into the wii menu to tell it to use component I'm not certain as I do not have one.
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
    Last edited: Nov 30, 2010
  11. wecpc

wecpc Member

Ratings:
    +5
    With the 508 it does not up convert to HDMI so you would have to connect either the CVBS (YELLOW) video connector to the TV or better with the component cable using the RED/BLUE/GREEN video connectors to the TV and in both cases the audio (RED/WHITE) to the 508.

Colin
  12. krsmarie

krsmarie Member

Ratings:
    +0
    ok...i got the wii component cable...i am looking at the back of the onkyo tx-sr508..i don't see anything that says amps component in...i need help i dont know what to do next..please i really need this hooked up by sat!!!
    Last edited: Dec 7, 2010
  13. wecpc

wecpc Member

Ratings:
    +5
    The 508 does have component in and is labelled as IN 1 (BD/DVD) and IN 2 (CBL/SAT) and they are coloured as GREEN, BLUE and RED. These are the video components but you also need to use the GAME IN (RED & WHITE) connectors for the audio. These all need to be assigned in the 508's menu to whatever output you require such as GAME.

But as I have already stated earlier the 508 does not up convert component to HDMI, so therefore component IN to component OUT only, which would then require a component cable from the component out on the 508 (adjacent to the IN1 & IN2 connectors) to your TV or projector.

To do what you require is really is an Onkyo TX-SR578 or TX-SR608 A/V or higher end models in the current range. These will up convert from any input to HDMI.

Colin
    Last edited: Dec 11, 2010
  14. 10monty

10monty Member

Ratings:
    +1
    If you connect the Wii component cable into the amp, then a component out (including audio) could you play the Wii without having the amp switched on, if you just wanted sound through tv speakers (say for late at night)
  15. Rave17

Rave17 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    To bad the 508 doesn't convert component to HDMI. I know that the 608 does support upscaling. But from the 508 I did expect that it would support component to HDMI output.

A well, now I just plug the two audio cables from my Wii into the 508.