1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Onkyo TX-NR807 No Sound Problem

Discussion in 'Integrated Amplifiers & Receivers' started by wrath22, Feb 8, 2012.

1. wrath22

wrath22 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi All
    Just contacted Onkyo with this problem and was wandering how many more of you has been affected with this common problem with Onkyo Amps.
    Will let ya know how I get on with Onkyo.......
  2. Nobbler

Nobbler Member

Ratings:
    +183
    So what's the problem...?:confused:
  3. wrath22

wrath22 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    No sound as in the title
  4. Nobbler

Nobbler Member

Ratings:
    +183
    At all? All inputs?

This doesn't seem to be a "common" problem to me. I'm assuming it was working fine before?

Have you carried out a factory reset (press and hold vcr/dvr and switch the unit on)?
    Last edited: Feb 9, 2012
  5. demonzeo2001

demonzeo2001 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Mine has just started doing the same. It will work for a few minutes or even hours if i remove the power and then re-apply it. All of a sudden the sound goes off. No clicks or anything, just silence. Also noticed it sometimes doesn't switch audio inputs. As in if i select VCR it says VCR on the front but is playing audio from the previous source.

I have done a hard reset, with no luck. The fault still happens. I try to update the firmware after the reset, but it says no update, so i presume the firmware stays when i hard reset?

Let me know what Onkyo say please.

:confused:
  6. asuberlak

asuberlak New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Exact same problem here. I have a tech guy helping with my home automation. As soon as we updated all of my components including the Onkyo TX-NR807 I was having sound issues. I had no sound issues with my home theatre for the past 2 years.

We did the power source trick a couple times, but that is ridiculous to say the least and temporary. My video feed still works, bit what the hell good is that without audio???

I believe this to be an Onkyo software update issue as seems to be a frequent cause of disruption in component operation among many threads and many Onkyo models. this is a phenomenal unit, but this glitch needs to be addresses ASAP by Onkyo. I am not happy about having to unhook my receiver and tote it down to the Best Buy only to have it shipped for warranty service to Onkyo. Please tell me there is a solution out there. My tech wizard is out of ideas too.

:lease:
  7. asuberlak

asuberlak New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Apparently Onkyo is aware of the problem, but you have to send in your receiver for service.

they are even offering a one time servicing outside of your warranty period. Sounds like they really buggerred something up on the firmware update but they aren't quite ballsy enough to actually come out and say that. Glad I kept the box!
  8. wrath22

wrath22 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Got mine sorted now, the hdmi board was replaced, loads of these stories online with the same problem, dont think i would buy another onkyo product again :(
  9. ohlarikd

ohlarikd Member

Ratings:
    +1
    Hi! Glad I read this post. Same issue. Called Onkyo and they are indeed going to fix it for free, out of warranty. I've had several Onkyo products and never an issue, so I will give them a break and also give them a thumbs up for owning up to it and fixing for free.

A lot of companies will not do that, even if its a known issue or flaw on their part.
  10. jonna

jonna Active Member

Ratings:
    +551
    :hiya: What is there phone number.
  11. ohlarikd

ohlarikd Member

Ratings:
    +1
    Here is the email I got in response to my issue, and the phone number:

"We apologize for the delay in responding to your email. We appreciate your patience and understanding; but in regards to your issue- Please contact our Parts & Services Dept at the number listed below during normal business hours Monday-Friday 9am-5pm EST ; or via email atparts@us.onkyo.com. They can be contacted at 201-785-2600, option # 4 for Parts & Services as they can further assist you regarding obtaining a one-time warranty and service agreement to have your receiver repaired. You will need to speak with the Parts & Services department to inquire about either having your receiver serviced since you are not under warranty."
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  12. Nobbler

Nobbler Member

Ratings:
    +183
    This applies to Onkyo US only andvnot Europe as far as i'm aware.
  13. verve

verve Member

Ratings:
    +0
    my warranty for my 807 ran out beginning April this year and like I've read on this and other forums my audio eventually (yesterday) disappeared all together, to be honest was gutted as can't really afford to replace but rang shop to explain in what I had suspected from start off problems was hdmi board and to my shock was told I had a 3 yr warranty and not the 2 yrs I thought . so my 807 is now on its way back to onkyo to be repaired under warranty so as you can expect I was one very happy little boy this afternoon only problem is I've got no receiver until I get it back

rob
  14. Nobbler

Nobbler Member

Ratings:
    +183
    You have to get these repaired AS SOON AS THE PROBLEM arises. A warranty is a 2 way thing. It's provided by the company in case anything goes wrong they then have the chance to put it right at no cost to you - BUT you have to take reasonable care of the product. If you're having sound dropouts for 2 years and you dont get it looked until iy actually breaks down, any company are well within their rights to say you haven't taken reasonable care of the product and refuse repair under warranty.
    You were lucky by thr way as the 807 does in fact only carry a 2 year warranty. Back then the 3 year warranty only started at the 1007. Now it's 2 years accross the board from the 309 up.
  15. verve

verve Member

Ratings:
    +0
    nobbler my receiver hadn't been playing up for 2 yrs the audio started to drop about 6 weeks ago, i thought it was only a 2 yr warranty and being honest had resigned to the fact i would have to pay for repairs (which i am more than happy to do) its only when i rang shop and said it was just out they replied no mr clarke you have a 3 yr warranty with 807. I treasure all my av kit as well as all my hi-fi kit

rob
  16. ohlarikd

ohlarikd Member

Ratings:
    +1
    I had received my unit back from repair a few weeks ago and it was thankfully working fine. Until today. AGAIN, NO AUDIO. I am really ******ed. I am contacting Onkyo again to see what can be done. It is obviously a huge pain to unhook everything and costly to ship it to repair again. Not mention, it probably won't last long. It really is just a piece of crap I guess. My friend has the newer model and has not had any issues so far, so maybe it is just THIS model.
  17. jasamrj

jasamrj New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Have you tried resetting the receiver to the factory defaults by turning the receiver on and while holding down the VCR\/DVR button press the on/standby button? It should show clear on the display and enter standby mode. You will loose your presets and have to reset your settings but it may solve your issues.

I tried copy and paste from the onkyo website but it didn't work, sorry new at this.
    Last edited: Aug 2, 2012
  18. ohlarikd

ohlarikd Member

Ratings:
    +1
    Yeah, I went through all that business the first time it happened, didn't work. The repair place has a 90 day warranty, so they are sending me a shipping label this time. Still, its a major pain to unhook the million wires, and who knows if it will break again. But, no choice but to give it a shot and see what happens.
  19. Kojack42

Kojack42 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi guys

Im having the same problem with my Onkyo 807 no sound is everyone here from the UK as well, I have read about lots of problems with this unit and the HDMI board is the problem fixed, ohlarikd posted that Onkyo will fix it for nothing ?
  20. verve

verve Member

Ratings:
    +0
    hi kojack
    yeah onkyo will fix problem as long as your receiver is still in warranty, my HDMI board went and they replaced it free off charge ( took 7 weeks mind ) I had receiver back and after about 6 weeks I lost audio again so have returned it to be repaired currently waiting for receiver to be returned been 2 weeks. so I would contact where you bought it. if receiver not in warranty might be worth giving onkyo a ring just to see what they say
    hope that helps
    rob
  21. ohlarikd

ohlarikd Member

Ratings:
    +1
    Verve - luckily in the US, even out of warranty, they are replacing the board for free. But like you, my repaired unit broke again and is back at the repair facility. We shall see...
  22. verve

verve Member

Ratings:
    +0
    even out off warranty there are repairing it lucky you 😊 I'm disappointed that after HDMI board replaced receiver only lasted about Severn weeks before going again, was considering upgrading soon to the TX-nr1008 but now probably demo different makes
  23. marcin1812

marcin1812 New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I have the same (no sound)
    Broken HDMI board - common problem in this model.

But...

You should warm HDMI board and problem go away (to the nex power off amp)
    Warm board by 2 - 3 minutes before turn on amp.
    And after succesfully power on, You can swith off warming device.

My solution is there:

Marcin
  24. Kojack42

Kojack42 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi guys

It is not good enough that a £600+ Receiver should go just over 2 years old, They want just over £300 to fix the problem which is wide spread thats 50% of the total price & by the look of things it only last a few weeks before breaking down again, I never buy an Onkyo product again unless they come to the party with most of the cost of this repair, & i'll rubbish them on every forum on the planet if I have to.
  25. Digistu

Digistu Member

Ratings:
    +0
    My 807 just died this week with no sound output! Everything else works but silent!! Have done a reset without any joy so phoned up and took it into my local Audio T where i bought it 2 yrs 10 months ago. They contacted Onkyo repairers to see if it could be fixed as a goodwill jesture as it is a known fault! Quoted £160+ vat + parts+ postage!! Not very happy as it cost £700 new with a discount and only gets used 3 or 4 times a month!! I didnt expect to get a free repair but at least a discount. This was my third Onkyo over the years and definately my last. Off to Richer Sounds now for cheap replacement and a 5 yr warranty !!!
  26. Kojack42

Kojack42 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Slayerstu Richard Sounds are trying to help me out with the repair as mine was only a couple of months passed its warranty, you have rights under the sale of goods act the Amp is not fit for the purpose it was built for or is not of satisfactory quality, now your rights are with the people you bought the Amp from and the credit card company if you paid by c/c. I would contact the consumer rights people and then go back to the shop and tell them its not good enough and quote the sale of good act. But do make a case with the consumer rights people.
  27. verve

verve Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi slayerstu
    2yrs 10 months and they won't repair free off charge I bought my 807 from richer sounds and when HDMI board went FIRST time I rang them expecting to have to pay as it was 2 yrs and a think 1 month but they said yeah no problem that receiver has a 3 yr warranty so as you can imagine I was over the moon they have got receiver back as HDMI board gone again after just 7/8 weeks since repair...!!! Hope you get it sorted this was my first onkyo product and to be honest have been well happy untill this and probably be wary off purchasing another. The good people at my local richer sounds kindly have loaned me a pioneer vsx-2021 while mind been repaired although cheaper than 807 and not as easy to set-up (in my opinion) I have warmed to to sound not quite as harsh with movies 807 much better for music though
    Rob
  28. Kojack42

Kojack42 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Richer Sounds has loaned my a Sony receiver & isn't a pinch on the Onkyo 807 which up until the HDMI board failing was a great piece of kit, I sold a top of the range but 10yr old Yamaha DSP-A1 which never faulted before getting the Onkyo, I went for the 807 for its 4x HDMI & sound quality which didn't let me down until now. Will see how long it hold ups after the repair.

Also I never buy another piece of Hifi or TV without the 5yr warranty.
  29. Digistu

Digistu Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Cheers for the advice! (changed my name from slayerstu). Tried seeing if Onkyo Europe would help with repair but told if it was no more than 6 months out of its 2yr warranty they would still of helped! As its 10 months out they told me they could fix it but at my expense. Audio T say they can't help either so won't be buying anymore equipment without 5 yr warranty !
  30. Kojack42

Kojack42 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Yep mine was 3 1/2 months over the 2 yrs so hoping to get mine fixed for very little.