Home Entertainment & Technology Resource

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

ONKYO TX-NR709 Owners Thread

Discussion in 'Integrated Amplifiers & Receivers' started by whooshavf, Dec 9, 2011.

1. liamt

liamt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,094
    oddly the planet earth BR looks amazing and no ghosting whatsoever. i guess it was skyline that was poor or the planet earth wasnt 24f
  2. jawilson59

jawilson59 Member

Ratings:
    +4
    Down to £550 on richer sounds and superfi now.... Question is, if u dont need two hdmi outs is it worth the extra £170 over the 609...?
  3. liamt

liamt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,094
    i got mine from superfi.

it has superior audysea (? sp) and more power output.

superfi also assured me it used better quality components although im not sure how much that is true. the 709 also has a learning remote. not sure the 609 does.
  4. jawilson59

jawilson59 Member

Ratings:
    +4
    Any complaints about the 709? I take it the standby pass thru of sky hd works no problem?
  5. liamt

liamt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,094
    yes but obviously you dont get volume. i never use my TV speakers so its not something im interested in.

i like the amp. i liked the easy quick selects on my old denon though. seems a bit convoluted on this one. hopefully getting a harmony 1000 tomorrow so i can setup macros then.

edit: pity the USB only does music. it would be nice if it did movies/images too.
  6. jawilson59

jawilson59 Member

Ratings:
    +4
    What do u mean about the volume? In standby pass thru u would control the volume from the tv surely. ....sorry confused slightly.
  7. liamt

liamt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,094
    ah, i have tv speakers off. i dont see the point in HC and then using tv speakers for TV when pro logic iix is so much better.

or are we getting crossed wires? i never use passthrough i always have the amp on when watching anything

when i turn the amp on i get the picture from tivo
  8. jawilson59

jawilson59 Member

Ratings:
    +4
    I think ur confused. Standby pass thru allows u to have the amplifier / receiver in standby and a source such as sky hd to still be shown on the tv. I.e the signal just passes thru the receiver. And the hdmi out between recver and tv carries the picture and stereo sound to the tv. Useful if ur maybe watching sky news first thing in the morning or last thing at night and u dont want the surround sound. So the dolby digital signal carried from the sky to the recver via optical or coaxial is ignored and the hdmi siganls used instead. If u where then to bring the onkyo out of standby the tv sound shut be interupted and the digital signal from the sky hd ouput over ur surround speakers.
  9. DarthPakko

DarthPakko Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Hello everyone! I bought the tx-nr 709 last friday. It is connected to a ps3 slim and to a philips 9000 series. I have realized that the device has problems with the 24fps option. When it's on, i can't see anything, while it's off everything's fine. Is it a firmware problem or is it a model problem? Is there someone else with the same problem or is it just me to be so lucky? :)
  10. liamt

liamt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,094
    have you done the firmware update? it takes ages though

to be honest i stopped using 24hz mode in movies as it gives me some ghosting in some films. it did seem worse with this amp than with my old denon 1910 though.
  11. DarthPakko

DarthPakko Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Yes i've done the firmware upgrade! This is why i was wondering 'bout the firmware problem. Maybe it will be fixed with the next update. How can i be sure onkyo is aware of the situation? Ps: sorry 'bout my english, i'm a bloody italian :)
  12. liamt

liamt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,094
    good point.

Your english is good. better than most English people these days! :thumbsup:
  13. liamt

liamt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,094
  14. DarthPakko

DarthPakko Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I just used the ps3. when it's on 25fps everything's fine. u'r pioneer works with 24fps?
  15. liamt

liamt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,094
    yes, i just get a little bit of ghosting on some movies.
  16. DarthPakko

DarthPakko Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Then it's an issue of the amp combined with the ps3. I hope the next upgrade will fix it. Is there any way i can let onkyo know about it?
  17. liamt

liamt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,094
    the link a few posts above has a link to their forum. they suggest you contact support.

it could be ps3/onkyo issue or just a dodgy onkyo.
  18. whooshavf

whooshavf Member

Ratings:
    +4
    Why has this been moved out of theOnkyo specific forum, is there some issue I have missed?
  19. KUBBY

KUBBY Active Member

Ratings:
    +669
    As a result of an admin directed re organisation, The Onkyo specific forum is no more.

K.
  20. whooshavf

whooshavf Member

Ratings:
    +4
    Last edited: Feb 13, 2012
  21. spencer_uk

spencer_uk Member

Ratings:
    +40
    so are you saying that there is a problem with the ps3 through the amp that produces ghosting? I am thinking of buying one and my primary blu-ray device is a ps3
  22. KUBBY

KUBBY Active Member

Ratings:
    +669
    Sorted,Thanks.

K.
  23. Nilanth

Nilanth Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Hello Everyone
    New user here and requiring some much assistance if possible please.

I've had my 709 for a couple of months now. However, recently on two occasions i have received a no signal message whilst watching sky + HD.

The setup is below as best as i can describe it. the 709 is connected to LG LCD tv with default HDMI connection. Also connected is a PS3 using default HDMI connection and lastly is the Sky HD + box using default HDMI connection to the receiver.

i tried to do some basic troubleshooting and this is what i found. When switching to the PS3 everything works as expected. I took the HDMI cable that was running to the PS3 and used it for the sky + box to rule out the HDMI cable. I dont think the cable was the issue as the no signal message still appeared when i did this.

I then tried assign to the cable/sat HDMI connection to other HDMI ports but still no success.

could anyone pretty please offer some advice?
    Do i have a faulty 709?

: (
    Last edited: Feb 13, 2012
  24. liamt

liamt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,094
    i thought sky couldnt do 5.1 over hdmi? have you tried optical?
  25. whooshavf

whooshavf Member

Ratings:
    +4
    True - Sky does not output dodgy digital over HDMI - only stereo, which does mean an optical connection to amp for this
    However there should still be sound (stereo I think) over the hdmi
    Nilanth - when you say no signal message - is that onthe sky box or the amp?
  26. whooshavf

whooshavf Member

Ratings:
    +4
    My problem :-
    Run Audessy setup quick
    All tones to all expected speakers (7.1)
    Then display on amp says - calculating
    It did not finish - just sat on that display (normally get a line of boxes flash on and off under that, then next steps)
    Went and had tea - still said calculating
    Unplugged Mic - started again - same
    Unplugged Mic - turned amp off/on - started again - same
    Full reset of amp (Doh! - hate that as I have to set all my options again)
    Worked OK
    Latest firmware
    Any ideas?
  27. whooshavf

whooshavf Member

Ratings:
    +4
    Apparently this has happenned to a small number of other people and it can only be resolved by a full reset
  28. geforce189

geforce189 Member

Ratings:
    +0
  29. spencer_uk

spencer_uk Member

Ratings:
    +40
    Hi all, although impressed with the amp am finding it a little quiet. Most of the time I have it cranked up to 60-70% and I have a quite small room. Driving some Kef eggs (2005.2) - my old amp was much better. Does anyone find it quite quiet? Is there some kind of Audyssey setting that can be at cause?
  30. scottthehat

scottthehat Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,228
    if you have run audessey then it is set it up for film refrence so watching a film on bluray if you have the ampe turned upto 0db that is what is ment to be listened to like in the studio,
    tv and music need some volume ading to them so as they have no refrence volume, you can set the intelligent volume for each source by upto +15bd.
    If your not worried about refrence volumes, then go in to the levels as the will probably be set in the minus levels, so you can set them up higher but keep the gaps the same, ut this just means you wont know the refrence level,