Home Entertainment & Technology Resource

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Onkyo TX-NR509 Owners Thread

Discussion in 'Integrated Amplifiers & Receivers' started by gabesosa, Apr 6, 2011.

1. Seejay

Seejay Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Morning all,
    Yesterday I purchased this AV receiver to compliment my new home setup. The shop where purchased was chosen due to their outstanding service and customer support which I have to say, so far, has been excellent, however, either I am exceptionally stupid or there is a problem with my unit. I have been unable to get anything working (audio or video) using the composite inputs (I currently have no HDMI peripherals as still deciding). I'm a little suspicious that the amp may have previously been tampered with as the box appeared to have been opened prior to my purchase.. although all inside appeared in order and in sealed bags. To possibly confirm my thoughts can anyone please provide me with the text displayed on the amp when BD/DVD is pressed on the remote? all but this selection appear to mimic the remote on the amp i.e VCR/DVR etc. etc. but as I can't get anything out of her I'm wondering if I'm chasing a lost cause?
    Any help greatly appreciated.
    Regards
    CJ
    ps. I was told that this unit can upscale a composite games console output which was part of the reason why I decided to purchase. The chap in the shop would know that I will be coming back if this was not the case and reading previous posts I'm now even more confused!

Totally at a loss with the incoming source composite signals so I plugged in the external FM antenna to check the amp was working, it is thankfully so now I'm still trawling the net for answers.
    Last edited: Jul 24, 2011
  2. Bowlo

Bowlo Member

Ratings:
    +0
    So far I have gone through 2 TX-NR509's in the last 2.5 months.

The very same thing happened to the previous (lower end model) Onkyo I purchased. I was assured by the sales staff, when I went to purchase the 509 that it was a fluke and that Onkyo makes great AV equipment. So I bought the TX-NR509. After 2 weeks the HDMI out would transmit the audio and no video. I brought it back and they gave me a new one. For the last month it worked like a charm. Tonight, I walked into the room turned everything on and no video, only audio. To make sure I unplugged the blue ray and the cable box and mainlined them into the TV, I have video and sound.

I have come to the conclusion that Onkyo is garbage....
  3. A8Tony

A8Tony Member

Ratings:
    +2
    @Bowlo - Onkyo have made very good quality equipment for many years. As shoddy an answer as this may be, you could just have suffered with problematic units, rather than the brand being garbage.

I've just purchased a 509 at the weekend, I was like a kid at Christmas when I got it home. The only disappointing thing for me? I couldn't use the remote to control the on-screen menu when setting up the speakers, nor when I connect anything via USB :(

The problem with the USB file system, for anyone having issues, isn't solely linked to Onkyo. I used the same external HDD with a Sony blu-ray player (BDP-S370), and had to format in FAT 32 mode. This is a pain in the bum, as I have some video that is larger than the allowed 4Gb limit. So these will have to be watched using an alternative method. Perhaps through the network connectivity now offered by the Onkyo.

I also purchased a Harmony One remote, and this works a treat with the 509.

So if anyone can advise why the on-screen menu can't be controlled using the remote it would be most appreciated :D
  4. Seejay

Seejay Member

Ratings:
    +0
    The 509 is truly an odd beast, I'm still having problems getting my head around the COMPOSITE inputs... Can anyone offer advice on what the criteria of COMPOSITE input "is" acceptable as for the life of me I can't get them to work on any games consoles or DVD players? Also refereing back to my previous question.. can anyone please let me know what is displayed on their 509 when BD/DVD is pressed on the remote control? Mine says "PC" but I can't but help think this is incorrect and had previously been reconfigured.

Help/advice greatly appreciated.
  5. A8Tony

A8Tony Member

Ratings:
    +2
    SeeJay, have you tried resetting your receiver?

Can't remember off the top of my head, but there's a two-button sequence to do it. This may help :smashin:
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  6. Seejay

Seejay Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Appreciate that (page 59 of manual together with further resets listed on page 57) My dilemma however is that I purchased this receiver "brand new" or thought I did and therefore who knows what else has been tampered with! I enjoy the researching and solving of problems but would at least, in this instance, expect to be working with new equipment. Incidentally, I believe I have found the answers to my original questions which may be of benefit to others reading this thread.. 1. The receiver text should actually display "BD/DVD" when the respective key is pushed on the remote control 2. The receiver is not capable of transcoding the composite and component video signals to HDMI output form. From the research so far I can conclude that 1. My receiver has obviously been pre-used/abused and 2. The chap in the shop either knowingly or unknowingly sold me a product which was not capable of performing as per my requirements. Then again.. I'm happy to be proven wrong :facepalm:
  7. be11aml

be11aml Member

Ratings:
    +1
    That is a strange one, as I recently got a unit from Richer Sounds and it had all the same issues. It did not sit flat on my unit, it buzzed quite loudly at random times and there was a permanent humming. Possibly some poor quality control at Onkyo?

Took it back to RS for a full refund, including the £10 VIP voucher that I used. Bought another 509 from Best Buy for about £245 using codes and Quidco.

Unit still has a constant humming (not as quiet as old Yamaha) but not as bad as the first.

Very happy with the unit, but need to run the auto calibration again.
  8. andytx

andytx Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I bought it too. and I can play music thru USB port direct from usb hdd with mp3 so on. BUT
    It could not decode .dts format music file. just playing with static sound.
    Does it have any solution to solve or never?
  9. mcklane

mcklane Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Onkyo has just released an application for android that lets you fully control your onkyo device via a local network connection, it is very good, it even allows you to play files from the phone (basically the phone acts as a DLNA server).

The app is called "Onkyo Remote"

Onkyo Remote | AppBrain Android Market

I am very happy with the unit and now with this app it's fantastic!

Cheers

:clap::clap:
  10. darkfenny

darkfenny Member

Ratings:
    +0
  11. darkfenny

darkfenny Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I have the same issue my receiver also sets everything to -12db or similar?? I phoned Richersounds and they just said to set them manually. which I have done, but surly the auto set up should not be setting all speakers at around -12db? it kind of defeats the point in having auto calibration.

12. benjibarnicals

benjibarnicals Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I use oRemote by Robert Worne for my iPhone/iPad which is a really good (though a little complex) app, better than the official Onkyo app. Though I wish this had (or the Onkyo app) had audio streaming like on the Android one!

Can't complain though, no other AV reciever I've owned has been this feature rich for such a small price.
  13. benjibarnicals

benjibarnicals Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I had this on mine too, thought it was a little odd, so what I did was increase the volumes of all the seperate channels in sequence so they were still in a "calibrated" setting, just a little louder :) done the trick.
  14. awthunder

awthunder Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I got my 509, 3 days ago and i must say that this post has been very helpful. I have come across a lot of the issues discussed here.

one more thing I'm struggling with is that I keep hearing some noise in the surround speakers. I'm not sure whats causing this noise. I've checked my wires and connections and everything seems fine.
  15. benjibarnicals

benjibarnicals Member

Ratings:
    +0
    In what circumstances do you hear the noises? When the unit is off? When it's on and playing surround track (audio or video)? Does it do this on any input? What's your settings.... If you have the sound output using Audisey/All Channel Stereo, Neo:6, PLII etc then it will also try to use the surround speakers to output what it processes, no matter what the input is (ie if its only a 2ch stereo input it will still output sounds to all speakers).

Are your surround speakers wired correctly and not in contact with any other device/power, for instance the cables aren't being earthed somewhere accidentally?

Try disconnecting all front speakers (and sub and centre), does it still happen? etc...

Sorry I can't be much more at the moment.
  16. mcklane

mcklane Member

Ratings:
    +0
  17. Richard

Richard Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,431
    Mine seems louder since the latest firmware update.

:confused:
  18. djboz

djboz Member

Ratings:
    +2
    I brought my 509 about four weeks ago, and its been a huge improvement on an eight year old Sherwood amp that I had. Loving the sounds from it.

I do have one issue that I find annoying. I have (for television / films) the amp set to 'direct' which is great, normal volume for this will be 35-45 (depending on how much I want to upset the neighbours), now thats fine if the program doesnt have adverts, but as soon as the adverts kick in and the amp clicks over to 'dolby' (or other sound modes, which 20-25 volume level is adequate) it gets a little loud. Is this something I have to live with, or am I missing a setting somewhere?

Boz
  19. jvg

jvg Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi, I recently purchased a Sony 5-cd SACD player. To take advantage of the multichannel playback, I need to connect 6 analog audio cables to my Onkyo tx-nr509 receiver. Any idea where I can connect those cables? thanks!
  20. Alex1990

Alex1990 Member

Ratings:
    +2
    Jvg unfortunately you can't connect analogue channels individually.
  21. jvg

jvg Member

Ratings:
    +0
    true.. go myself a tx nr 709. it has multichannel input... plus a phono input for my turntable, missing in the 509
  22. SabreCus

SabreCus Member

Ratings:
    +3
    I also fell for this one – kinda wish I'd paid a little more and got the 609 now. It's not too much of an issue, but it would have been nice to have the option of making a few cables redundant.
    There is one benefit from still running all the video sources through the receiver – you benefit from the on-screen displays from the receiver. This is something that my Denon AVR-1509 didn't do and with the unit being installed out of sight, it was a pain to setup (and you couldn't “see” what volume you were on)
  23. SabreCus

SabreCus Member

Ratings:
    +3

I've also found this quite annoying!
    Seems to be that if I'm watching a film, the levels are really low... but then if I switch to Internet radio, it's twice the volume! I've woke the wife up a couple of times due to this :mad:
  24. SabreCus

SabreCus Member

Ratings:
    +3
    Am I correct in understanding that the 509 will decode to 7.1? I only require 5.1 in my current house, but if we move I would like 7.1.
    I see that it has Surround Back pre-outs - if I were to connect a pair of speakers to these outputs via a power amp, would I then get 7.1 without changing the amp for a 609?
  25. KuMa88

KuMa88 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Just recently bought the 509, and I'm new to the whole av reciever scene. Got it all set up and everything seems fine, although whilst watching a film on the PS3 the video cut out for a few seconds leaving the sound on. But the main issue im having at the moment is my xbox 360 elite just doesnt work with it at all. ive got it plugged into a samsung tv, and tried turning Anynet+ off and on with no success, ive made sure im on the right source channel, made sure the HDMI is in. bought a new hdmi cable tried changing the resolution of the xbox and im just having no luck please can anyone offer any words of wisdom. It's got to the piont where i presume im overlooking the most basic thing :| cheers.
  26. Pedrosanchezo

Pedrosanchezo Member

Ratings:
    +12
    Hey, I have xbox 360 as follows and get full surround.
    Hdmi from xbox to receiver.
    Hdmi (tv out) from reciever to tv.

If you bought another cable you should have one spare to work it this way. :)

Also you may have to go into the receivers set up to set hdmi pass through etc but it's all pretty easy going. Any probs just repost.
  27. KuMa88

KuMa88 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Hey thanks for your reply, but, thats how its set up already and im sure ive set it up as HDMI THRU, ive pushed in the cables to make sure there definitly in and also jiggeled them too whilst everything is on, but ive had no success. I've made sure the port ive put it into is set to GAME but nothing happens. If i have my PS3 plugged in, if i then take the HDMI out of the PS3 then immediatly plug it into my xbox the screen just comes through on the tv as "No Signal".
  28. Pedrosanchezo

Pedrosanchezo Member

Ratings:
    +12
    Is the tv accessible? Can you try hdmi straight into tv to see if it works this way? Just to rule out xbox fault. If it does then you should be able use it this way with anynet+ set to on. In theory the sound should go from tv to receiver anyway. Keep posted. :)
  29. KuMa88

KuMa88 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    :) ive plugged the xbox straight into the tv and it works perfectly fine as usuall...
  30. Pedrosanchezo

Pedrosanchezo Member

Ratings:
    +12
    Has to be either a setting in the receivers set up or a faulty hdmi cable. Can you try narrowing it down by testing both cables if you haven't already. If they both work then try switching the hdmi input you use to rule out a faulty connection in the receiver.
    In the set up menu make sure the hdmi (game) is selected correctly and hdmi through is on.
    If all this is correct and the ps3 works through the same inputs and cables then for some reason the xbox can't pass through the receiver. I can't think why that would be the case. It's simply a bypass. Older xbox??