Home Entertainment & Technology Resource

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Onkyo TX-NR5007 Audio Problem

Discussion in 'Integrated Amplifiers & Receivers' started by LukeFoster2006, Oct 31, 2009.

1. LukeFoster2006

LukeFoster2006 Member

Ratings:
    +14
    I have had my new Onkyo for just over a week now and I'm having two problems with it.

1. I have a slight crackle from the Surround Left speaker, its really distracting. I've changed the speaker over so it can't be that.

2. When I turn the amp on it doesn't have any sound via an optical cable for my Sky HD until I turn the unit off and on again. Im hoping this is just a setting issue.

If anyone has any ideas id be very please to hear them.

Thanks Luke
  2. NorthStar

NorthStar Member

Ratings:
    +16
    1. Check your speaker's wire (at both ends).

2. Assign the proper input with the proper audio connection.
    * And Disable the Power Control function (CEC-compatible components), if avail.
    Or make sure your Optical cable is in good condition, by not being crushed, entangled or bended.
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  3. bobaudio

bobaudio Member

Ratings:
    +2
    Hello
    I was just checking around to see if anyone had a similar problem.
    I have had my 5007 for about a month. A couple of times when I would turn it on I got no sound and had to turn it on and off. I did the new firmware over the net and it got stuck on 80% I called onkyo tech they told me to wait and if nothing happened do a hard factory reset. I did redie all set up and firmware. Now all the time I have to turn it on and off. They suggest send in for repair. My only concern is that two times I unplugged before going to bed and the next am it wen on okay this morning was one. All other times when it is off for a while I have to do the above. On the AVS form Someone had a similar problem and said in CA the service center said it was a problem with the 007 units and easily fixable but no tech at onkyo has ever heard of this. Any one have any advise or opinions.
    I did do another hard reset and set up. just to see. Usuall a microprocessor works or it does not.
  4. LukeFoster2006

LukeFoster2006 Member

Ratings:
    +14
    I’ve done all of this above from the start, all my cables are terminated with banana plugs, so it can’t be that. Thanks for the advice though.

Hi bobaudio,

Reading your post makes me feel a little sick, I brought this as a replacement for my TX-NR906 that became faulty after 5 months and could not be repaired for another 6 so I got a refund.

If this is the case with this Onkyo I’m giving up with them. I also did the update and then found the fault. If this is an issue with this particular model, how long am I going to be away with it again? I hope this isn’t true, If so I feel foolish for giving them another ago.

Let me know how you get on, if this problem continues il be getting in contact with Onkyo support as well.

Luke
  5. bobaudio

bobaudio Member

Ratings:
    +2
    Luke as you have seen by the post above I found the problem intermittent. I called the regional service center. and went through the whole problem. They think it could be the motorola box from comcast. There is a known issue they will not admit to and there is a firmware update for the box that you have to force out of them. Before going in for service they suggested I disconnect the HDMI from the box to the receiver and see if this stops the problem as if it is the hdmi from the box it could permanantly damage the hdmi connection on the receiver. I will try component from the box to the receiver and optical if this solves the problem I than will work on the comcast issue. if not I will send it in. wish me luck I will keep you posted. What is you r cable sat box and company this might be the issue. well see
  6. LukeFoster2006

LukeFoster2006 Member

Ratings:
    +14
    The receiver Im using is a Samsung HD Sky box and my 40gb PS3. So I doubt its related to your one box but I could be wrong. I have now also emailed Onkyo support so il let you know what they have to say.

Luke
  7. bobaudio

bobaudio Member

Ratings:
    +2
    Luke
    I disconnected the HDMI from my dvr to receiver I connected it to the receiver via component and my HDMI to DVI to tv using the optical for audio so far today when I turn it off an hour or more than back on it works without problems. I also spoke to comcast cable. and found and engineer who said it is a handshake issue and there is nothing they can or want to do about it as it will work with component . I guess if it still works tommorow morning after being off all night that would be the issue. well see.
  8. LukeFoster2006

LukeFoster2006 Member

Ratings:
    +14
    If that is the case there must be a handshake issue with Samsung Sky HD and PS3 aswell. I can't try my HD box without HDMI as it doesn't have component out.

As far as Im concerned its Onkyos problem due to the same Sky HD box and PS3 working fine on my old NR906 until it broke.

Il have to see what customer service's have to say. Hopefully something very useful as I've only had it a week. Hope you get yours sorted bobaudio :thumbsup:.

Thanks Luke
  9. bobaudio

bobaudio Member

Ratings:
    +2
    So far so good. Sorry about your connection. According to the reg serv center it is the cable co responsability and some receivers various handshake issues. If you have an analog imput you might want to try it to see if it is the sammys issue. I did try an elite SC-27 and there were no issues in that area. But I do like the 5007 enough if this continues to work this way I will keep it. Also there is a newer box available I might try that one also.
  10. bobaudio

bobaudio Member

Ratings:
    +2
    Well it definately was the HDMI handshake issue not the receiver in general. I have a Motorola 6416III box and it just seem incompatable with the 5007 enough to cause the lack of audio and occasional drops. The service center said if i keep it connected to the box it could eventually blow the HDMI circut. Just a FYI to anyone having problems. I currently have my Cable box connected Component and Optical. All else HDMI. I the receiver still is HDMI to tv.
  11. LukeFoster2006

LukeFoster2006 Member

Ratings:
    +14
    As much as id like to believe it's an issue with your particular box I can't at the moment. As I have now had the problem with my Sky HD, PS3 and HP laptop with HDMI out. All of these pieces of equipment worked fine with my old Onkyo TX-NR906. All of my HDMI cables are the same ones I used before and are all specification 1.3a.

Still no reply from Onkyo support, id like to think their looking into it. But I doubt it. Just a little annoyed that after spending a lot of money on this receiver one of its main features doesn’t work correctly.

Luke
  12. go7blue

go7blue Member

Ratings:
    +13
    Have you spoken to the shop you bought the 5007 from ? As they`ve got your money I`d would expect them to be sorting your problem out , especially as there might be a chance you might want your money back.! Just a thought .Good luck anyway.
  13. bobaudio

bobaudio Member

Ratings:
    +2
    Hello:

Believe it or not as soon as I stopped using the box all issues and problems stopped., Even the Comcast engineer admitted that HDMI compatability between different sources and receivers is an issue. I had a denon 4806 no problems I had a Denon 4308CI a couple of dropouts a day. I tried the Pio SC-27 no HDMI issues whatsoever just did not like the receiver (my personal opinion only) Now the Onkyo to me the greatest of them all I had the issues I described in the above posts. I eventually will badger the comcast people fot a supposedly available firmware up date or at least a newer box. I just am so pleased that it was not a faulty unit. I do understand your issue and if you are not satisfied than definately return it and got for something else while you have the chance. But believe it was a compatability issue with the box. With mine anyway.
    Good luck.
  14. LukeFoster2006

LukeFoster2006 Member

Ratings:
    +14
    Well I'm glad you got yours sorted anyway audiobob. Onkyo support have told be me take it to a service centre, think il wait for the company i brought it from to get back to me first.

Luke
  15. bobaudio

bobaudio Member

Ratings:
    +2
    Luke:
    Sound like overall your problem could be different. Mabey while you are contacting your vendor you should at least call a regional service center and discuss that problem. I followed Onkyos suggestion to call them I did and that is how my HDMI issue originally was discussed. She suggested I change the connection and see if it worked. It did and still is. Good luck with yours. I definately would move soon as long as you are still in the return period. At least mabey exchange it for a new one.
  16. indus

indus Active Member

Ratings:
    +124
    Sorry to hear about your problems guys. Nobody seems to be immune from them, the Arcam av888 at twice the cost seems to have even more.

Anyway, I'm wondering how you guys feel about the sound quality of the NR5007, for movies and 2ch stereo? I'd also like to know what you upgraded from and how it compares to that.

I'm actually thinking of buying the sc pro version, but am presuming the NR is pretty similar.

Thanks
  17. bobaudio

bobaudio Member

Ratings:
    +2
    First to answer your question I have had many separates and receivers. Recently came from a Denon 4806CI than 4308CI both very good receivers and great sounding but I choose to use a B$K 2 channel amp for the front mains. I recently had a Pio Elite SC27 bought at bb so I could just try it out. Did not like felt too light but nice . I was looking at an integra 9.9 about to pull the trigger when I saw the 0007 Onkyo's announced and was fasinated by the PLIIz and DSX. I was asking about an int 80,1 when I got a good deal on the 5007. I really like the sound both Multi even gave up the B&K. Just has some issues and I keep zeroing in on the culprit as the Comcast Motorola box. I reset the box and reconnected all HDMI all Running well for now. Really like the sound of this unit and its bells and whistles as long as they work. I am running 11.2 system only can use 9.2 at a time with this unit.
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  18. auteur

auteur Member

Ratings:
    +0
    from what i have read at avs forum, the problem with the audio dropouts seems to be when the 5007 plays Dolby Digital..
    so do you guys have audio dropout at your dvds, since that almost all dvds has a Dolby Digital soundtrack.

have you tried it with mkv files and ps3?
  19. bobaudio

bobaudio Member

Ratings:
    +2
    I have no problems with dolby digital right now min problems. Do not use ps2 or mkfiles. Just Elite 23bd, elite 58av comcast motorola box tosh Xa2 hd-dvd. Ipod with a1 adapter from onkyo. Had one issue this week only.
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  20. Sam Ash

Sam Ash Member

Ratings:
    +18
    Have the problems with the 5007 been fixed ?

Anyone out there who is experiencing any other problems. Am looking at this amp but don't want to buy a system that is problematic.
  21. LukeFoster2006

LukeFoster2006 Member

Ratings:
    +14
    The problems I experienced turned out to be my own fault for not reading the instruction book :oops: and having two blown speakers. So apart from that I haven’t been having any problems at all, it’s a great unit. I’m just looking into pairing it with some bigger speakers.
  22. Sam Ash

Sam Ash Member

Ratings:
    +18
    From doing a bit of research on the net, I've come to know that the 5007 does have problems. I am looking at getting this amp, has Onkyo sorted out the problems ?
  23. LukeFoster2006

LukeFoster2006 Member

Ratings:
    +14
    Can i ask what problems you have found out about Sam? The audio problem i had was down to two of my speakers being blown, not sure how that happened though. I also have a fault that causes my projector to flash when i use HDMI Sub but its fine on the TV so i put this down to the projector.

Thanks Luke
  24. Sam Ash

Sam Ash Member

Ratings:
    +18
    Hi Luke, I am interested in the 5007 and do not own it yet. A friend who is an installer mentioned the fact that I should be cautious about rushing out to buy one because he had heard people complaining about HDMI problems.