Home Entertainment & Technology Resource

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Onkyo NR515 and RPi - No HDMI output

Discussion in 'Integrated Amplifiers & Receivers' started by Joost, Nov 25, 2012.

1. Joost

Joost Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Dear all,

I'm having problems with a brand new Raspberry Pi, running Raspbmc (compile date Nov 20th). When connected to my one month old Onkyo TX-NR515 AV receiver, HDMI output stops working for about 1 second when the video output changes (update of the clock, navigating menu's, etc).

The Onkyo receiver is connected through HDMI (ARC and CEC is enabled) to a Philips 42PFL7606H from last year. Connecting the RPi directly to the TV gives no problems, however pass-through DTS audio etc. does not work in that case.

My 2008 MacBook Pro is also connected with the Onkyo receiver, from Mini DisplayPort to HDMI. This has always worked fine, and it still does.

I have tried every HDMI input on the receiver, all with the same problem. Different HDMI cables don't matter either. Changing various HDMI compatibility settings on the RPi doesn't help either (I might miss something here, of course!).

Searching for this problem has not given me any solutions. Even if searched without mentioning Onkyo and RPi for the most general results, no solutions.

I updated the Onkyo to the latest firmware version, didn't make any difference. I'm really puzzled what to do next, I feel like I've tried everything and that the Onkyo might be broken or malfunctioning at least.

I appreciate any help and new insights into solving the problem. If any more information is required, I'm able to provide all info.
  2. Joost

Joost Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Here I am again. I just found out that there was one port left on the NR515 which I hadn't tried yet. The AUX HDMI port on the front.

Guess what, it works!

This also leads me to believe that my main HDMI board is faulty (or a problem with NR515 models, maybe even NRx1x in general). I will contact Onkyo support about this issue to see if they can offer any solutions.
  3. dante01

dante01 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +4,645
    I doubt it an issue with your main HDMI board because you say other devices work perfectly in conjunction with thw rear HDMI inputs. Thew issue appears to be specific to you RPi and not the amp?
  4. Joost

Joost Member

Ratings:
    +0
    But how can you explain that it does work through the front AUX HDMI input?

I really don't know what is going on here. I've tried many of the RPi's HDMI output settings, none of them work.

The only thing I haven't tried yet is a clean Raspian install to see how that works.
  5. goujam

goujam Member

Ratings:
    +143
    I'm sure you can boost the hdmi output not sure on the command but you could.try that !
  6. Joost

Joost Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Yes you indeed can, and I have already tried with maximum HDMI boost (config_hdmi_boost=7). Didn't work.
  7. goujam

goujam Member

Ratings:
    +143
    I've only ever tried mine on the front hdmi of my onkyo 609, and it works fine on my Yamaha amp ! Have you tried the command that means the pi powers up even.if there is no display connected on the hdmi ?
  8. Joost

Joost Member

Ratings:
    +0
    You mean hdmi_force_hotplug=1, yes I have tried that ;) It does detect video input, as I have video signal if the video output from the RPi is static. As any change occurs to the video output from the Pi, the signal from the Onkyo receiver is interrupted and comes back when the video signal from the Pi is static again.
  9. goujam

goujam Member

Ratings:
    +143
    Bit of a long shot but have you tried disabling the cec ?
  10. Joost

Joost Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for your reply, disabling CEC both on the Pi and Onkyo did not make any difference however. Also I enabled HDMI through and put the receiver in standby, which resulted in the same problem.

I also compared the EDID profiles from the AUX port and the ports on the back of the receiver, they are exactly the same apart from the VSDB physical address.
  11. goujam

goujam Member

Ratings:
    +143
    You have got me stumped, have you asked on the raspberry pi forum? Maybe someone else has had this problem
  12. keenanj

keenanj Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I am having the ecact same issue did you find a fix?
  13. Joost

Joost Member

Ratings:
    +0
    The problem is still there. I've had the logic board of my TV replaced because of unrelated video input and ARC issues, but the problem persisted.

During the repair I had a replacement Philips 37PFL9604H which had the same problems as well. Hooking the AVR up to a Samsung UE46D5000 does not suffer the problems with the HDMI ports on the back.

I'd say it's a compatibility issue between the AVR and Philips TV's. I recommend using the AUX HDMI output on the AVR. It ain't pretty but gets the job done.
  14. Joost

Joost Member

Ratings:
    +0
    As unbelievable as it is, I just found the problem and solution. One and a half years later, ahum.

During the last couple of weeks my Pi started losing its Ethernet connection every now and then, but it became more regular over time. This week it already failed after a couple of seconds.

Searching the internet I found that this is likely due to low voltage over the Pi. I tried several power supplies but to no avail. Every single one of them resulted in ca. 4.2V which is far below the minimum of 4.75V. I learned that the F3 polyfuse may be causing voltage drops as a precaution to guard against too high amps. I measured the voltage before the polyfuse and it was around 4.6V, still on the low side, but a lot better. Then I learned about powering the Pi through its normal USB ports, known as back-powering. This way all security against flaky PSUs is bypassed. I am aware of the consequences of this.

I hooked my Pi up with a double-male USB cable to the same power supply I have always been using, and it worked flawlessly, showing a steady 4.93V over the Pi. This made me curious if the HDMI flickering issue would also be gone now, so I tested one of the back ports of the Onkyo and alas, no problems at all.

Everyone always says that the power supply is likely not capable enough when the Pi shows problems, and this is again an example of such.