1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Onkyo HT-S5405 Owners Thread

Discussion in 'Integrated Amplifiers & Receivers' started by dannycorker, May 6, 2011.

1. tiger1310

tiger1310 Member

Ratings:
    +2
    Link to the HT-S5405 Datasheet...thought it would be useful to have on here -

Onkyo HT-S5405 Datasheet

Lots of the specifications for the system are on the handy 2 page sheet.
  2. BrutUK

BrutUK Member

Ratings:
    +1
    Hello been having some fun with the HT-S5405. My problem is loss of picture and sound during films and games @ 1080p. Using number of different hdmi 1.4 cables i get the same problem.

I got PS3 plugged into the AV and then into my Samsung ps51d6900, problem with using the PS3 is i get drop in picture for 3-5seconds but the sound stays fine, this happens during blu-ray films 2D and 3D and games.
    Also picked up new Panasonic DMP-BDT310 blu-ray player and the issues with this device plugged into the AV and then into TV is drop of picture and sound for 3-5seconds.
    Other odd thing is i have Freesat box setup with the AV and that's fine and no real issue, maybe drop in picture now and then.
    I've tried resetting the AV and the PS3 many times and set them up again with no work around, changed setups on various things and used number of different 1.4 hdmi cables and still no joy.
    But if i plug any of my devices direct into the TV and leave the AV to side its perfect and no problems....

Seeing if anyone had idea on the issue or is it common Onkyo problem? and can one download firmware update for this???

Thank you.
  3. windwalker03

windwalker03 Member

Ratings:
    +1
    I would love to help you, but... I haven't got a clue. My idea was to try to swap HDMI cables but you did it already. Has it been like that since you bought t, or it's a new issue?
    Maybe try to ask in the place you bought it. Still got warranty?
  4. BrutUK

BrutUK Member

Ratings:
    +1
    Been like it since i brought @ end of April but just now got everything setup, did email shop but waiting on reply. One other thing when the sound or picture drops the AV receivers display blinks on and off, the listening mode and format indicators section. If that adds anything to the problem.
  5. windwalker03

windwalker03 Member

Ratings:
    +1
    Sorry, but for me it looks like amp problem. If all that equipment works fine when connected straight to tv but fails when it's going via amp, it means that probably it's amp's fail. I hope I'm wrong

Anyone else got an idea?
  6. quantumAV

quantumAV Active Member Assured Advertiser

Ratings:
    +423
    It's a handshake issue between the three bits of kit. We normally find it occurs where samsung or lg tv's are involved. Try setting your ps3 to 1080i instead of 1080p and see if you still get the same issue.
  7. dannycorker

dannycorker Member

Ratings:
    +7
    OK finally got the 5405. Questions! What kind of settings do you all use for diferent media types? There's all Direct, T-D, Multi etc etc, no idea which to use for stereo, 5.1, blu ray etc? :S Also, what about all the settings you can reach through the setup menu?
  8. dannycorker

dannycorker Member

Ratings:
    +7
    Also, any way to speed up the time it takes to change audio formats? Using XBMC, whenever I play a video I miss the first second or 2 of audio because the receiver is busy detecting the new audio format and switching to it?
  9. benjitb

benjitb Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi all. skip to Q below if you like!

I've been looking at the Onkyo HTS5405 for a couple of weeks now (having not listened to it yet). And boy am i glad to have found this thread.

First of all i have a Panasonic TX-32LZD80and a ps3 (not slim).

I've bee looking at getting a headset/headphones for gaming (playing BFBC2...)and it.is.confusing. I've spent the last week on the net researching and have just got more and more confused. I'm no "audiophile" but I'm thinking why not get a set of "cans" that can double up for music as well as work out where those pesky shots are coming from.

Q. Can i use the av receiver as a replacement for something like the the astro mix amp?
    And then plug in a pair of headphones into the avr?

I don't want to spend loads on overpriced "gaming headsets" when it seen i can just buy the onkyo setup with this or better

Sennheiser HD 202 - Mark II Closed Back On-ear Stereo: Amazon.co.uk: Electronics

for game sounds when its late (using a clip on mic with ps3).

Sorry if i've hijacked a thread, just totally baffled by it all.
  10. absami

absami Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Hello I have HT-S5405 connected with Bluray player BDP-S470 and Asus Oplay Mini Media player....when i play movies on media player the reciever shows the sound in red font if its dts, true hd or dd and the same when i play normal dvd movies.....

but the problem is when i play bluray movies weather they are 3d or not it does not show the audio detail in red but it shows pcm instead.....i think the audio from bluray is not being processed properly into the receiver...what to do?
  11. SoulAssassin

SoulAssassin Member

Ratings:
    +8
    I've not tried this yet but a friend of mine says he had the same problem on his ps3. He changed the video options on the ps3 from pcm to bitstream and now they play with the red dts etc. Maybe theres an option on your bluray player to change that output option.
  12. xxmikexx

xxmikexx Member

Ratings:
    +2
    Hi

Any1 know if the 5405 can handle 7.1?
  13. MisterX334

MisterX334 Member

Ratings:
    +4
    The set has an active subwoofer. Does that mean that the subwoofer has its own power supply?
  14. la_guitars

la_guitars Member

Ratings:
    +0
    About to order one of these but could anyone tell me about the speaker cable supplied - will it suffice (rather than bell wire) or should I be looking to order some QED micro as such.

Thanks for advice :)
  15. SoulAssassin

SoulAssassin Member

Ratings:
    +8
    Active Sub means it does have a seperate power supply.
    The cable, in my opinion is pretty much bell wire Im afraid. Its all I am using atm and it still sounds great though. Let us know if a cable upgrade sounds any better.
  16. absami

absami Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Figured out! BD Audio Mix Setting has to be turned of in audio settings of the Blue Ray player so that receiver could recognize the original sound format of the movie i.e DD, DTS etc....
  17. MisterX334

MisterX334 Member

Ratings:
    +4
    Ok, I just bought this amazing set. While I was hooking the set up I noticed something strange. The set comes with pads to put onder the speakers and sub. But the strange thing was the pads meant for the sub don't have any glue attached to them. The other pads , for the speakers, did have glue attached to them. Was this also the case with your sets?
  18. xxmikexx

xxmikexx Member

Ratings:
    +2
    This is a question to owners of this set, how does the sound of the supplied speakers sound? Are you already thinking of upgrading these tiny speakers?
  19. SoulAssassin

SoulAssassin Member

Ratings:
    +8
    The pads with no glue are to put your Sub onto, obviously you wont want them glued to your floor. As the sub vibrates a lot (as all subs would) the pointed feet could end up scratching the floor assuming its not carpet.
    The supplied speakers are excellent imo, if you're going to buy new speakers anyway why not just buy an amp and speakers seperately instead of the HT-S5405 package?
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  20. pr1vate piles

pr1vate piles Member

Ratings:
    +6
    some brilliant info on this thread and the sky and ps3 settings will be very useful when i purchase this awesome device. Trying to keep exposed wires to a min and gonna run as much thru wall as possible. If i run cable thru ready for when i buy the kit, can i just solder the speaker wire to the rear speakers easily or do i need some sort of plug and socket?
  21. RockyEd

RockyEd Member

Ratings:
    +12
    Re wires. You can either solder/tape or (as I do) use an electrical connection strip (cost buttons from B&Q). Question guys, having owned an older version of this (18 months) ago, does the subwoofer pop at all ?
    • Thanks Thanks x 2
  22. MisterX334

MisterX334 Member

Ratings:
    +4
    I set my ps3 slim to output in bitstream. But my receiver still doesn't show the sound format I'm playing. It just shows PCM. Any solutions to this problem?
  23. cdmasters

cdmasters Member

Ratings:
    +7
    Thanks for starting this thread, it has proved very useful. With regards to using a Harmony remote, the 5405 is now on the Logitech database. Just search for ONKYO HT-S5405.
  24. stuw

stuw Member

Ratings:
    +14
    I am about to buy a HiFi system and the best i have seen for my budget and needs is this one. I have a few questions before i buy the system however.

1) does it support 7.1 if another pair of speakers are added?

2) can you play multiple inputs at once?

3) are the speakers upgradeable?

4) can you get video through the HDMI but audio through analogue audio for the same input?

Any other advice for a newbie to HiFi or anything else i should know before i buy?

Thanks to you all,

Stuart
  25. 3D 4EVER

3D 4EVER Member

Ratings:
    +1
    I am just about to buy an Onkyo HT-S5405b but want to know that if i connect all my kit up , if i leave the receiver in standby , will I still be able to watch all of my av through the normal tv speakers ie sky etc . I thing it is called passthrough but im not sure .
    Can anyone help as the wife just wants to come down in the morning and turn the tv on for the kids without all the cinema gear having to be switched on .
  26. ccox11

ccox11 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I've recently bought this package to run my PS3 through for watching films and gaming. When it is working the package is superb but I do have an issue with it at present.

When Im watching some films on DVD or playing some games the screen and sound turn off for a few seconds. When this happens the HDMI symbol on the display flickers and when it comes back on the speakers make a "pop" noise. I've tried a new HDMI cable and it had no effect. The PS3 is a slim design and I have the sound turned to BitStream. Are there any other settings on the PS3 that I have missed?

Also I heard someone say that there could be interference between the PS3 and the reciever if they are to close together, is this correct or BS?

Thanks
    Callum
  27. windwalker03

windwalker03 Member

Ratings:
    +1
    @3D 4EVER
    If your amp is off it's not processing at all so your TV will be without any sound but it has got some nice modes like DYNAMIC VOLUME or NIGHT MODE so it'll keep your speakers and sub bearable for kids and wife :)

@ccox I don't know if it help but on PS3 you should turn all the sound options on, even 7.1
    I've got it all on and it's ok. And also my PS3 is something like 20 cm from amp and there is no interference.
  28. Woolie8

Woolie8 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    @3D 4EVER

If you have your SKYHD or Freesat box connected to the amp you can still watch whilst its in standby with sound through your TV.
  29. chrisro

chrisro Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Just got that system up and working in Romania, got it for 399eur in MediaMarkt Austria :)

It's my first ever HT system, and it really sounds very nice. At first, I was thinking at a stand-alone receiver + speakers (5.0 with tall fronts), but than I saw this system, and I must say that it's doing a great job in a 20sq meters rooms.

For the moment, I've connected my Humax HD STB receiver and AC Ryan mediaplayer, it reads the both of them very well (Dobly, DTS, DTS-HD). The only thing I have to do in order to be 100% satisfied is to find a way to match the remotes, they are killing me...remote for Onkyo, remote for Humax STB, remote for mediaplayer, plus a remote for my 42'' Sammy plasma TV :)

Any ideas?

Cheers, Chris.
  30. thestig230

thestig230 Member

Ratings:
    +106
    :hiya: Excellent website you guys have here, loads of great info.

I'm planning on buying one of these set-ups in the next couple of weeks. Seems to have all the features I require for a good price.

Only question I have is can this system be updated to 7.1 surround in the future if I wanted?