Home Entertainment & Technology Resource

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Onkyo 875 owners thread *Part 2*

Discussion in 'Integrated Amplifiers & Receivers' started by RottenFox, Dec 19, 2008.

1. namuk

namuk Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +4,010
    Thats the same as my mic just no MIC 5000 showing. what was the model of yam amp you give dad?
  2. Grangey.

Grangey. Active Member

Ratings:
    +782
    Trying to make sure my question doesnt dissapear...?
  3. namuk

namuk Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +4,010
    :rotfl: Bump :thumbsup:
  4. Iron Man 2

Iron Man 2 Member

Ratings:
    +68
    Ive checked that online, mic is totally different. He is going to dig it out for me so I can check but I dont think that is the issue. Im checking all speaker positions (the centre probably wasnt pointing up enough), connections etc and will re run on Saturday.
  5. smitsa

smitsa Member

Ratings:
    +15
    "Official" Audyssey thread. - AVS Forum

Not sure if I'm allowed to post links to other forums but here you go anyway!

Have retested with Audyssey tonight using the recommended oval shape around the main listening position,again it has set my speakers to full range with double bass on,LPF-LFE has been set to 80hz.

Haven't had a chance to listen yet as I'm at work again tonight,still slightly confused over this double bass function,hopefully with a bit more reading tonight I'll have it clear in my head!
  6. namuk

namuk Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +4,010
    Audessy does not alter or touch the LPF-LFE you have to manually set this your self , But it does alter your DB setting :smashin:
  7. namuk

namuk Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +4,010
  8. Grangey.

Grangey. Active Member

Ratings:
    +782
  9. roderick1st

roderick1st Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

Dont know if any of you chaps running a PS3 into the 875 have this problem?

There seems to be yellow banding in the shadows when putting the video through the 875. I have attached pictures here http://www.avforums.com/forums/onky...yo-875-produces-excessive-yellow-shadows.html as it explains what I mean. The are of the PlayTV menu screen, the smooth looking picture was taken with the PS3 directly connected to the TV, the banded picture is taken with the signal going through the 875.

Changing the up-scaling option does not effect the banding.

Any help appreciated.

Rod.
  10. namuk

namuk Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +4,010

Ah right understand, not got sky myself mate:(
  11. smitsa

smitsa Member

Ratings:
    +15

Thanks for the PM,just reading through the posts now,it's certainly becoming clearer now.

I must admit I've run Audyssey umpteen times recently,experimenting with different mic positions etc,speakers are all detected as full range each time but the system sounds much nicer in movies with speakers somewhere between 80-120hz and LPF-LFE at 120 with double bass off.

Will feel more inclined to settle with settings in this area,now that I've read Audyssey Mikes and your recommendations.Cheers.:thumbsup:

Next thing i'd like to do is run REW or CARMA and find out what kind of frequency response I'm getting in my room,especially the lower end,I reckon I've got some peaks as the bass can sound boomy at times.

Thanks again for your help.
  12. namuk

namuk Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +4,010
    no worries i had the same questions here also (and got the link from avf thats how old it is:rotfl:) it is a dam transcript:), one main reason i posted to audessy because there is differant types of audessy versions posted and amps it gets all confuseing, but it is worth saveing or joining that thread with it being so big or even asking :thumbsup:

like you say you have your head around the speaker HZ and doublebass off(when fullband) now all you need to do is find your best speaker HZ setting:smashin: my self in sticking with the 80hz just sounds overall better:) but every system is different.
  13. BigIR

BigIR Member

Ratings:
    +16
    Thats not saying that full band equals a 80hz crossover its saying that the detection is done wrong.

So a speaker that goes down to say 70hz gets detected as being full band, this then means that all frequencies are sent to it which is obviously bad.

Personally I ran the auto setup so as to set the levels and delays and after that manually changed the crossover frequencies according to the speaker specs.
  14. BigIR

BigIR Member

Ratings:
    +16
    I just taught the remote.

Edit. Actually I think I used a code which gave most of the funcionality then taught it what was missing.
    Last edited: Jan 14, 2009
  15. BigIR

BigIR Member

Ratings:
    +16
    The double bass sends "bass" sounds from the the 2 front channels to the sub in addition to the 2 fronts. Although exactly what frequencies are classed as bass I'm not sure.

For example if a source has no sub channel your sub is sitting there doing nothing but with double bass on it will send the bass to the sub also.
  16. Grangey.

Grangey. Active Member

Ratings:
    +782
    Dont suppose you remember which code it was at all??
  17. SoOPersOniC

SoOPersOniC Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    My front speakers response range is set from 55hz-54khz and my rears are 62hz-54khz.

I have the crossover for my fronts and centre to 60hz and for my rears at 70hz

Is this right ?

And should my sub lpf-lfe be set to 120hz ?

Please advise

Thanks
  18. namuk

namuk Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +4,010
    LPF-LFE yes 120hz (in amp settings) before you run audessy, as for speakers if audessy picked them up as that not sure mate , if you do not trust the HZ get on to the speaker manufactures and ask them your HZ range of the speakers..
  19. SoOPersOniC

SoOPersOniC Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks namuk. the speaker hz ranges were at the top of my last post.

My fronts and centre go down to 55hz (dc4t's and dc4lcr) and my rears go down to 62hz (dc4's).

Front amp crossovers are set to 60hz and rears 70hz

I set these manually and just want to makesure im not damaging my speakers.
    Things are certainly sounding abit better than before because the fronts were set to full range with double bass on.
  20. namuk

namuk Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +4,010
    Not really for me to say mate, i would ask the manufacture this, i did email tannoy about my center they get back within 24 hours also:thumbsup:Welcome to Tannoy

After audessy was ALL speakers fullBand? if so leave them on 80hz..
  21. SoOPersOniC

SoOPersOniC Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    No just the two fronts, the center was set to 80hz and the rears were set to 70hz. with double bass on.

i guess if audessy can set the rears to 70hz, then what is the harm in setting the fronts to 60hz.

The system now has a warmer/fuller sound with my settings, although the sub definately needs some sorting and audessy running again.

thanks for the link :)
  22. namuk

namuk Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +4,010

I would leave them as audessy set them, because once audessy sets your speakers to whatever HZ you can raise them but not lower, if you do it will only roll off to the audessy set crossover.
    Also doublebass is for FullBand and audessy does not set this on or off.. leave it off.
  23. SoOPersOniC

SoOPersOniC Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    So why does Audyessy let you review the crossover settings before saving the configuration ?

It seems strange that Audyssey does this if you cannot go lower. Another thing to note is that the sound has definately changed since moving the crossovers down :confused: there is more depth/scale now.
  24. Iron Man 2

Iron Man 2 Member

Ratings:
    +68
    Ive turned the Equalizer to Off.

Just turned on Reign of Fire on Fox HD and the speakers are nearly coming off the walls:devil:

Overall the system sounds so much more powerful (more bass grunt through the fronts) than with Audyssey on. Centre sounds warmer. Before with it on, dialogue sounded very thin almost tinny.
    Last edited: Jan 15, 2009
  25. Grangey.

Grangey. Active Member

Ratings:
    +782
    I found the exact same thing with my 806. I havnt setup my 875 yet but Id be interested to see if my Audyssey setup makes it better, or makes my B&W603s sound like satelite speakers again!
  26. Iron Man 2

Iron Man 2 Member

Ratings:
    +68
    I almost bought a new XTC centre speaker at the weekend thinking my speakers were powerful enough:eek:Its clearly the amp.

Going to play around with it at the weekend to see what improvements i can achieve with Audyssey off. If not satisfied, then I will start saving for a new amp:eek:
  27. Grangey.

Grangey. Active Member

Ratings:
    +782
    Honestly I thought the exact same thing when I first used my 806. Turn off all equalizers and Im sure you will be suitably impressed... then fine tune the frequencies and youl be laughing. Im sure theres nothing wrong with the amp mate, think of all of the very happy owners and awards it got, Im sure we wouldnt have been the only people to notice this if it was an actual general problem with them.

Let me know how you get on :thumbsup:
  28. Iron Man 2

Iron Man 2 Member

Ratings:
    +68
    Yes, and having raised the crossover on the satellites to 120Hz, is helping also, even with Audyssey back on. Need to pack the wife and kids off shopping tomorrow to do some proper testing.:D
  29. matrixsc

matrixsc Member

Ratings:
    +17

Any chance you could help me please i can't seem to get multi chan on my amp with my ps3.

I have it linked up Via HDMI from the ps3 to the amp and while i was playing Rambo which says 7.1 i was only getting 5.1dts?

I was messing with the listening modes but couldn't get Multich 48khz?

Please could you help me?

Thanks.
  30. Grangey.

Grangey. Active Member

Ratings:
    +782
    Read the sticky at the top of this forum. You need to tell your ps3 to output over LPCM not Bitstreadm, if you were outputting over LPCM it would not tell you its dts 5.1 and as you are sending via bitstream, the max the ps3 will put out is 5.1.

Let me know how you get on.
    • Thanks Thanks x 1