Home Entertainment & Technology Resource

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Onkyo 809 Owners Thread

Discussion in 'Integrated Amplifiers & Receivers' started by BenTheBookie, May 25, 2011.

1. Morganwg

Morganwg Member

Ratings:
    +4
    Hi, just set up my 809 on Monday evening, paired with the DALI zensor 5.1 package and it has blown me away with the sound quality!!!

My problem is if I use the amp for regular digital terrestrial tv viewing and set it to Pro logic II I get the squelchy voice problem in the rear left & right speakers (sounds from the centre go the rears and sound like they muddied/underwater. I have done a bit of research (mainly on these forums) and it does indeed seem to be an issue for some receivers over the years, has anyone else experienced this???

It isn't a deal breaker for me really, as you have to put your ear right to the speaker and it only affects the pseudo-surround modes and not all tv channels are affected, it seems to be a combination of poor bitrates or lack of surround encoding from the transmission (ITV1, 2, channel 5 are the worst I have come across) and the amp trying to make a 5.1 signal out of it! My main concern was it damaging the speakers, anyone else out there have any comments on this??

At the end of the day you can overcome it by not using the surround listening modes, proper movie soundtracks are fine, as is music.

:thumbsup:
  2. wl1

wl1 Member

Ratings:
    +94
    I have not heard anything unusual, though I use Sky. What is the connection and set top box you are using? Have you tried the Thx version?

You mentioned centre entering into rear speakers, seems odd to me.
  3. rza1978

rza1978 Member

Ratings:
    +1
    Hi there

I'm thinking of ordering the 809, my current system is

SVS subwoofer cylinder (the beast) 20-39 12"
    DM603 s3 fronts
    DM601 s1 rears
    B&W centre matched with fronts can't remember the model
    Current AV - Yamaha DSP-AX757SE

Would the current speaker system be ok ? Im looking to keep the 5.1 setup and bi amp the fronts

I also have a pair of DM602 s3 not being used, would they be better to use as rears

Last question, I do also play a lot of music, any feedback on how this av is with music ?

Your feedback will be mostly appreciated

Thank you
  4. wl1

wl1 Member

Ratings:
    +94
    It has took me a long time to settle on settings to get Music sounding great. It's down to budget, but Marantz would be worth an audition if you are more critical music than movies.

It's a fantastic AVR though, and your system will be hugely improved. MultEQ XT makes a big difference.
  5. cyberbob69

cyberbob69 Member

Ratings:
    +17
    Right guys got my 809 in place
    But I have a problem, can't get my panasonic blu ray to display a picture.
    I'm outputting all from monitor out on amp to a sd panasonic via a hdmi lead with a dvi adaptor connected to my T.V.
    Amp OSD works fine.
    PC DVI out to Hdmi into amp works fine.
    Blu ray HDMI out to HDMI into amp sound but no picture, tried various settings still no joy..anybody got any ideas?

**Edit*** also if I pull ot my hdmi lead from monitor out on amp and plug that into my blu-ray player I get a picture
    Last edited: Feb 18, 2012
  6. wl1

wl1 Member

Ratings:
    +94
    From a previous post -

2. In the input/outputAssign set Monitor Output resolution to Source. This will mean each input will use the individual inputs resolution setting, ie local, rather than a Global setting for the Amp output
    3. In source setup>picture adjust, use Direct mode if you want to pass the signal straight through unaffected. Custom and ISF reduce light output slightly (can be compensated with settings in Amp), whilst other modes reduce it a lot AND have a serious adjustment of greyscale accuracy. Don't use these. Ie Through, Cinema, Game and Streaming.

What are your settings?
  7. cyberbob69

cyberbob69 Member

Ratings:
    +17
    Tried both of those still no display,
    I only need it for a temp fix until I get my new T.V...But I can't see where the problem is, my blu ray has two hdmi out like the amp...If I run one to the amp and one to my T.v then the dvi converter, I get picture and sound..But I would prefer to run it through my amp. and not have to keep swapping cables
    ...:-(
    Wl1 any setting in particular you after?

Even the wii works component in out through the hdmi no problem.
    Just updated to the latest firmware also
  8. wl1

wl1 Member

Ratings:
    +94
    I just wanted to understand which input your blu ray HDMI goes into, and whether it is is correctly assigned.

Also, do you have Resolution set to Source?
    And your blu ray source input set to Direct?
  9. cyberbob69

cyberbob69 Member

Ratings:
    +17
    Blu ray goes into HDMI 1 and is assigned correctly.

My resolution was orginally auto but now is source and my blu ray source input is set to direct..:-(
  10. wl1

wl1 Member

Ratings:
    +94
    When you say "SD Panasonic" - what resolution is it able to display?

When osd works, what does the tv report is the input signal ?

And what does the info/display button report on the video input/output when blu ray should be working.? Is this readable on osd or just 809 display.?

You could try a 809 reset.

Using a different HDMI source input.

Change HDMI leads.

But the best is probably least practical, another display without dvi.
  11. wl1

wl1 Member

Ratings:
    +94
    Forgot to mention, whilst in Direct mode, can you restrict you BR Plsyer output to a lower resolution to see if that works. (fault finding only).
  12. rza1978

rza1978 Member

Ratings:
    +1
    Thank you for ur feedback, I've placed my ordered and should be with with early next week
  13. rza1978

rza1978 Member

Ratings:
    +1
    How is the 809 when playing blu rays with slim ps3, can u get the HD sound via HDMI?
  14. wl1

wl1 Member

Ratings:
    +94
    Yes, it won't be a problem

Either decode in the 809 (bitstream) and enjoy the correct display info, or decode in the PS3 (PCM) and get Multichannel come up on the display.

Either one is identical.
  15. rza1978

rza1978 Member

Ratings:
    +1
    Thanks, the AV arrived this morning but got work now so will be setting it up later. Can you please let me know how to enable the av to encode instead of the ps3?
  16. wl1

wl1 Member

Ratings:
    +94
    It's a setting within the PS3. Bitstream or PCM. Can't remember the menu, but you will find it.
  17. rza1978

rza1978 Member

Ratings:
    +1
    I take it selecting bitstream will be the correct one if i remember right
  18. wl1

wl1 Member

Ratings:
    +94
    :)
  19. rza1978

rza1978 Member

Ratings:
    +1
    do have the 809 wl1? and how is the sound compared to av's like pioneer and yamaha?
  20. wl1

wl1 Member

Ratings:
    +94
    Yes, I have an 809 and I have had Denon & Yamaha a few times before. It's the first mid range avr I have had though, but is by far the best and most impressive.

I did consider Pioneer, as it has a few cool features (iPad app is impressive), but I always wandered where the missing 6kg went.

You certainly get a lot of features for the money. But it took a steep learning curve to get the best from it.
  21. rza1978

rza1978 Member

Ratings:
    +1
    Thank you wl1 for the feedback - looking very forward to setting it up tonight (late one for me) :)

Will let you know how it goes and what I think tomorrow.
  22. rza1978

rza1978 Member

Ratings:
    +1
    Spent a few hours last night setting the 809, great build and have to say it is fantastic. I could hear a massive difference when playing music through the fronts and sub on direct stereo the DM603 S3 sounded completely different to before (did bi amp them)

Need to get hold of a sound meter and spend some time freq's including the sub. How can you get the pink noise other than the speaker level menu, want to brench mark my max volume level before I level the speakers?
  23. cyberbob69

cyberbob69 Member

Ratings:
    +17
    Just a quick question guys since I'm at work and the wife is at home. The wife switched the amp on this morning. And all she is getting is a clicking noise, no display or anything. I know it's something to do with protection..all I did was unplug my Blu ray from the amp last think last night...any ideas?
    Thanks guys
  24. scottthehat

scottthehat Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,230
    Any of you the other zones haven't been activated have they.
  25. cyberbob69

cyberbob69 Member

Ratings:
    +17
    Don't think so.
  26. wl1

wl1 Member

Ratings:
    +94
    "Direct" and " Stereo" are different listening modes - which one are you referring?

Have you run Audyssey yet? You should let that take care of your speaker levels, distances, room correction etc.
  27. wl1

wl1 Member

Ratings:
    +94
    Could be a couple of things, Pure mode clicks and removes the display? Blue led light on?

Did you disconnect HDMI with power to either unit?

I would ask her to unplug and leave off until you get home. A reset may be in order.
  28. cyberbob69

cyberbob69 Member

Ratings:
    +17
    No lights at all,
    No the blu ray was powered off and the amp.
    Going to pop home lunch time to see if there is any shorts.
  29. cyberbob69

cyberbob69 Member

Ratings:
    +17
    Tried everything now, not one thing plugged in.. Can't even reset it... Just clicking as soon as I power it up...look like ringing panasonic....:-(
  30. scottthehat

scottthehat Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,230
    Why Panasonic.