Home Entertainment & Technology Resource

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Onkyo 3008-5008 owners thread.

Discussion in 'Integrated Amplifiers & Receivers' started by aandpwoodley, Oct 29, 2010.

1. bluenose24

bluenose24 Member

Ratings:
    +95
    makes no odds goes straight into standby mode which is very wierd really!!!
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  2. edbrandrick

edbrandrick Member

Ratings:
    +29
    Have you got another speaker you could try , or try your speaker on another cd system . The speaker maybe faulty.
  3. aandpwoodley

aandpwoodley Active Member

Ratings:
    +461
    Need some help please.

I'm trying to stream music to my 5008, I have opened windows media player and have enabled sharing. I can see 5008 on the network but when I go to the amp and press the net/usb button & toggle to server the amp keeps displaying No server.

Any ideas would be welcome.
  4. CARAVAN

CARAVAN Member

Ratings:
    +5
    So it has one for the front two channels one for the center one for the surr one for the surr back and one for the height speakers and the last one is for the Sub's that makes 6x:) sound awesome.

I have a Denon BD3800 that uses the PCM1796 but only has 1 inside can a signal chip do all channels!!! And when I use the BD3800 for it analog side it blows me out of this world:cool:
  5. CARAVAN

CARAVAN Member

Ratings:
    +5
    How are you liking your 3008 now vs the LX73. Am still waiting on my one:lease: Shop hurry Up.
  6. TheBlueFalcon

TheBlueFalcon Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +576
    The PCM1796 can do a maximum of 2 channels, so if the Denon only has one chip, then it's for the front left and right only.
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  7. CARAVAN

CARAVAN Member

Ratings:
    +5
    So it might use some think different for the rest of the channels.
  8. CARAVAN

CARAVAN Member

Ratings:
    +5
    I just had a look inside my Denon 3800 and it has a PCM1796 Chip for the Stereo 2ch and uses 4 chips for the 7.1 channel. so it has 5 chips inside. so the 3008 Onkyo will be the same. plus one more for the height Channels.
  9. aandpwoodley

Ratings:
    +461
    Anyone please, it's doing my head in.
  10. Rickyj @ Kalibrate

Rickyj @ Kalibrate Active Member Assured Advertiser

Ratings:
    +1,014
    It is not something I have used, but a couple of questions.

Are you able to get internet radio stations to the Onk?
    Have you turned off the Onk (power rather than standby) after allowing the sharing?

Ricky
    Last edited: Mar 6, 2011
  11. Rickyj @ Kalibrate

Ratings:
    +1,014
    Have you checked the cabling. Always good to check this.

Presuming you are using Audyssey, have you rerun the setup, or tried it with Audyssey off?
  12. CARAVAN

CARAVAN Member

Ratings:
    +5
    I have just been comparing the Denon 4311 to the 3008 and inside the 4311 look build down vs the 3008 the 4311 only has one transformer where the 3008 has 4 transformers and the Build Quality look poor vs the Onkyo is it me or do other agree.
  13. aandpwoodley

Ratings:
    +461
    Hi Ricky,

Internet radio is working fine & I've done the firmware update so it's connected to the Internet.
  14. Rickyj @ Kalibrate

Ratings:
    +1,014
    That's good. At least we know it is probably not a network issue.

Probably not what you want to hear after setting up the Onk, but with some of the previous models streaming functions have been started by doing a hard reset. It refreshes the cache and the Onkyo looks for a new server which is should now find....

Other things to check is the permissions on the shares in Windows.

I have got to set up an Onk 3008 in the next few days, so will see if I can provide more help then.
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  15. aandpwoodley

Ratings:
    +461
    Anyone else with any idea on what i've done wrong, could someone who has it working post a step by step guide.

thanks in advance
  16. aandpwoodley

Ratings:
    +461
    I've been told it's the settings on my BT home hub, any idea's on what needs to be chaged.
  17. Stefano1969

Stefano1969 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi. I wonder if anyone can help?
    I have an Onkyo 3008 and have a Playstation 3 connected to it via HDMI and the receiver is connected via HDMI to a Panasonic TX-P50VT20B television.
    I have the resolution setting set to AUTO on my receiver but when I play a Bluray disc the input signal is shown on the receiver as 1080p 24fps but the ouput signal to the television is converted to 1080p 60Hz. I can manually change the output resolution on my receiver to 1080p 24fps and when I do this the signal is output in this format. If I connect the Playstation directly to the television and bypass the Onkyo receiver then the television also receives and displays the picture in 1080p 24fps. Why, when I have the resolution set to AUTO is the Onkyo receiver converting a 1080p 24fps signal into 1080p 60Hz?

Many Thanks.
  18. Pulse1

Pulse1 Active Member

Ratings:
    +252
    Set to "Through" mode on the 3008 and report back.
  19. Stefano1969

Stefano1969 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi.

I will try setting resolution to Through as you suggest but I fully expect it to work and output 1080p 24fps as it will just pass the signal from the Playstation to the TV untouched. I just wondered why the receiver is changing the input signal and outputting 1080p 60Hz. I would have thought that if the Playstation is playing a bluray disc and outputting 24fps then the receiver, set to AUTO would automatically pass the signal to the TV without any additional conversion.
  20. TheBlueFalcon

Ratings:
    +576
    The "Auto" setting is worked out by the Onkyo checking the EDID of your display. So instead of matching the input, it will output at the highest resolution and refresh rate possible.
  21. Stefano1969

Stefano1969 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Bluefalcon.

So if I understand you correctly then 1080p 60hz is a better image resolution than 24fps so the receiver is selecting this automaticaly. It doesn't take into account that the film was shot at 24fps and match the resolution. It upscales it to the highest possible resolution which is 1080p 60hz. If this is the case would you leave the receiver set to Auto so it upscales to 60hz or would you set it to through so it does no upscaling and passes the signal from the Playstation unaltered. Bear in mind that the Playstation is also used for gaming. Would the Playstation just output at the most appropriate resolution depending on the material being played? Finally, just to add, although my TV is 1080p 24fps capable when watching blurry films the image is a lot smoother when the receiver changes the resolution to 60hz. It can be quite choppy at 24fps. Would you let your receiver change the resolution by setting to Auto or have it set to pass through a 1080p 24fps signal?
    Thanks.
  22. TheBlueFalcon

Ratings:
    +576
    The resolution is the same, it's just the refresh rate that is different. In theory 60Hz is better, which is why many "auto" settings on equipment will choose it, but in reality this is not always the case.

Regardless of the image resolution, if the source refresh rate is 24Hz then converting to 60Hz will cause issues. I always upscale the resolution using my Edge VP (if required) but always leave the refresh rate the same as the original.

Setting your Receiver to "Through" is recommended, but doing so will only give you the best results if you make sure your sources are all outputting the optimal resolution at the correct refresh rate for whatever it is playing.
    Last edited: Mar 9, 2011
  23. Stefano1969

Stefano1969 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks. That explains things.
  24. quickgeek

quickgeek Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Greetings. . .
    I just upgraded from a dead HDMI module on a 5007 to a new 5008. My defective HD950 projector (unlucky year),
    was switched to a JVC X7. Both were installed today. The first thing I notice is the image size difference between my HTPC and SKY UK HD. In the past the 5007 would display Sky HD @ 720P and my HTPC @ 1440 x900 with very little difference in size on the projected image (when inputs are switched).
    After hours of testing "through, auto and source" settings on the Onkyo > input output menu, I have crawled here for help.
    What I have tried so far:
    Setting both Sky HD and HTPC to 1280 x 720 - In this config the HTPC image is smaller than the screen but fills the screen on Sky HD. (aligned projected image to screen with green grid brought up by lense function on projector).
    Setting HTPC on 1440 x 900 and leaving Sky on 720p.
    As before the PC image is smaller. . .Adjusting zoom to fit screen sees bleeding of sky on the wall (as expected).

Am I missing smth obvious?
    I hope someone here has a smoother transition than I do. . .any thoughts welcome.
    QG
  25. TheBlueFalcon

Ratings:
    +576
    I'm not familiar with JVC projectors, but it sounds like it's upscaling the 720p image from Sky HD to 1080p, but displaying the HTPC image in its native format.

What happens if you set the HTPC to output 1920x1080?
  26. studionorthuk

studionorthuk Active Member

Ratings:
    +54
    HELP PLEASE, I have New ONKYO 3008, and a toshiba ep-35 hd dvd player, set to 1080p/24hz, I have the hd dvd player connected to the hdmi input, and my epson eh-tw3600 to the main out hdmi of the receiver, if I set the receiver to through, source, auto, I am getting interference on the screen the only best image and stable is at 1080i.
    at 1080p/24 on the reciver there is no interference however the image is not stable it is moving up and down a little.

Baz
  27. studionorthuk

studionorthuk Active Member

Ratings:
    +54
    Hi,

I found a solution to my Problem, by pressing the vcr/dvr button and keeping a hold of it and then pressing the enter button allows you to skip or use the Video Processor, I swiched it of and it worked fine, enabled it again and seess to be working fine.

Baz
  28. quickgeek

quickgeek Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Replied to this yesterday . . . .not sure what happened.

@ 1080p the HTPC image is smallest on the screen with black borders.
    @ 1440x900 and 1680x900 the projector reports a 1680x1050 input feed.
    @ 1776 x 1000 the projector reports 1080p
    All the above are at the "through" setting in source setup on the 5008.
    I cannot see any setting for scaling on the JVC.

Just had a though, I will bypass the onkyo altogether and repot here. . . .
    QG

29. quickgeek

quickgeek Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Eliminating the onkyo has revealed the culprit to be the JVC X7.
    1920x1080 and 1280 x 720 signals are not listed as supported resolutions for HDMI on this projector. It automatically upscales my signal to the nearest native HDMI resolution.
    Currently awaiting instructions from JVC. . . Now I wonder if this is a time to use the scaling properties of the 5008. . .
    QG

30. TheBlueFalcon

Ratings:
    +576
    Wait, what? Surely there is something seriously wrong there. :eek: