1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Onkyo 3008-5008 owners thread.

Discussion in 'Integrated Amplifiers & Receivers' started by aandpwoodley, Oct 29, 2010.

1. Alps

Alps Member

Ratings:
    +57
    First things first; TheBlueFalcon, you make sure you enjoy your weekend to it's maximum before trying to sort out my incompetence. You've been a massvive help ever since I got the amp :thumbsup:

I bought the amp from Superfi. When I was having problems with the HDMI Pass Through issue, I spoke to them and they put me through to a very helpful and knowledgable man at Onkyo. The "problem" was solved within 60 seconds :smashin:

But, to be honest, I wasn't aware that it was the role of the retailer to help with the set up of any product. Yes, if there is a problem, but not otherwise. I have always been under the impression that the retailer's role was simply to sell the product. And, I'm certain that this applies to most retailers out there. I can't imagine many people at the place I bought my TV from being able... or willing.. to help me set up my TV!

I'm going to call Superfi next week and see if they can help me. They seem like a helpful bunch... but also a very busy bunch.

Now, back to my set up debacle :( I used my main listening position as the first set up point. Then the main second position. Followed by the in between position, centre of the room, left and right of centre, front of centre, and finally the sofa to the right of the room.

I also did the set up very late at night so as to minimise road noise.

I was watching Star Trek (the new one) last night. The sound was rubbish. No definition between left and right, hardly any (if any at all) bass. But then the lack of bass may be down to the fact that I think, 2 days after getting my brand new sub back from repair at KEF it's gone again :mad:

Any way, before I ramble on... I think I'll be calling Superfi next week. And blooming KEF - AGAIN :mad:

PS RICKYJ, it's funny you should reply. I was going to contact you yesterday but got sidetracked with work. I want to put down a pre-order on the Xpand Youniversal glasses :smashin:

Finally, thanks again guys :thumbsup::thumbsup:
  2. Rickyj @ Kalibrate

Rickyj @ Kalibrate Active Member Assured Advertiser

Ratings:
    +978
    Alps,

A couple of things.

You did not mention what you are using to hold the mic. A tripod?

Also you say minimize road noise, are you on a main road?

I will send you a PM regarding the XpanD glasses.

Ricky
  3. Alps

Alps Member

Ratings:
    +57
    Unfortunately on a fairly main road. But after 11 pretty quiet :)

As for the mic - it comes already sitting on a stand (of sorts). Would I still need to put it on a tripod? I have one of those small spider leg tripods for my camera. Would that be ok to use?

And looking forward to your PM. The company I bought my TV from chucked in a pair of 3D glasses... which are yet to materialise!!! In the process of contemplating legal action - not just on the grounds of the glasses :lol: But also for selling a used TV as "brand new", not providing warranty paperwork, and possibly selling used speakers as "brand new" (possible reason for faulty sub!).
  4. anavfan

anavfan Member

Ratings:
    +15
    I originally used a camera tripod. However, I think I got a lot better results from using a microphone stand. This allows you to put the microphone exactly in the place where you sit - I find the Audyssey is quite sensitive to changes. I can't find where I bought it from, although it was recommended on the forums so I can dig it out if you need.
  5. TheBlueFalcon

TheBlueFalcon Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +572
    There are some cheap Mic stands available for around £10-£15 - I tried one and it was a pile'o'pap. I recommend the Samson BL3 - which is the same stand that is included in the Audyssey Pro Kit. You also have to buy a connector if you want to screw the Mic on to the end of the boom arm, but a lump of blu-tac is fine - it's cheaper and also helps to deal with vibrations.
  6. Doodler70

Doodler70 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I'm having trouble understanding this Audesy put my speakers at : Fronts 40 htz centre at 50 htz and surrounds
    at 60 htz. The way I understand it is that for the Fronts set at 40 htz anything below 40 htz goes to the sub and anything above 40 htz goes to the front speakers? I think it was Alps who said his Fronts were set at 150 htz? So basically all the frequencys were going to his Sub and maybe that's why he blew the Sub?
  7. TheBlueFalcon

Ratings:
    +572
    Nothing to be concerned about, you are getting great results. Depending on the specs of your speakers I would be quite happy. If you can get every speaker to crossover at 80Hz, then all is fine, any lower than that, then it is up to you what point to crossover at. Raising the crossover point is no problem, but if you have to lower it then you will not get the benefit of XT32.
  8. Wavod

Wavod Member

Ratings:
    +58
    Just after your thoughts/opinion TheBlueFalcon,
    Would you advise leaving below 80Hz where they are then? Personally I set all my speakers (apart from sub is 120Hz) to 80Hz to get as much LFE away from my neighbours wall without compromising the soundstage by going any higher.
  9. Alps

Alps Member

Ratings:
    +57
    Hmmmm! Could Doodler actually be correct with his theory of the Hz setting?

Reason I ask is that 2 days after receiving my repaired sub from KEF it has broken again! The cracking sound is back.

I was watching The Hurt Locker yesterday and everything was fine for a while. I was though a little underwhelmed by the bass levels when there were explosions that I'm certain demanded bass. But maybe my last amp settings were a tad off and I'm with that.

But a while into the film the crackle was back.

Could I be damaging the sub due to my Fronts being set to 150hz?

To say I'm peed is an understatement.
  10. TheBlueFalcon

Ratings:
    +572
    My advice is to set them to what works best for you.

There are a few things to consider. If the speakers can handle the bass within their specs, then there is nothing wrong with having them crossing over under 80Hz, but it is usually better to let the subwoofer do the work if it's a decent one. I've heard the benefits of crossing over lower for music, but 80Hz for movies is usually the best option for most systems. The higher the speakers cross over, the less work the amps (driving the speakers) have to do - which can potentially improve things in a few ways. It does then mean that the subwoofer's amp has to work a little harder, but a good one will not have any problems as long as it's used within it's spec.

Many people will be fine with crossing over at 100Hz or even 120Hz, but it will depend on the quality of the sub and it's placement - as well as the point at which each person will start to hear where it is coming from. For me it's 100Hz, so I set all mine to 80Hz, even though my speakers will go much lower.
  11. TheBlueFalcon

Ratings:
    +572
    Alps,

Sorry to hear that you're having trouble with the replacement. Which model subwoofer is it?
  12. Alps

Alps Member

Ratings:
    +57
    Hey TBF. The sub is a KEF HTB2SE.

The retailer has been conniving since I first walked into their shop. I spoke to them about this problem again and told them that as it has reoccurred within the space of a day I'm going to return the whole package as I'm totally fed up with the whole situation. But they aint having none of it.

Now going to look into my statutory rights. Fingers crossed.
  13. TheBlueFalcon

Ratings:
    +572
    If you had over-driven the subwoofer, then you would be partly to blame. But as you have run the calibration of the Onkyo, I doubt that you would be running it at levels it should not be capable of. The specs state it is good right up to 250Hz, so crossing over at 150Hz will not have caused any problem at all.

You are within your rights to return it and get your money back. They have no right to deny a full refund.
  14. Alps

Alps Member

Ratings:
    +57
    Alas, I didn't hook the speakers up until I got the 3008. So it has now been a month and half since I bought them so they're standing their ground on the 14 day money back principle :(

But, just to make sure this isn't a problem of my making; when I used Audyssey, one of the first things it asks is for me to set the sub to 75db. Due to the KEF sub not having a manual setting, the Onkyo raises the bass itself and then I have to press Select on the remote to set it. BUT it raises the bass a little too quickly so most times I it goes just past the 75db to approx 76 - 80db. Could this little increases be the problem to the sub crackling?
  15. TheBlueFalcon

Ratings:
    +572
    You are entitled to a full refund if you have problems within the first 6 months, so the 14 day money back thing means absolutely nothing at all. They have no right to refuse a refund if the goods are faulty.

The initial 75dB setting is just to get it to roughly the right level before running the calibration. It's not necessary for it to be exact and having it at 80dB is not an issue at all. After the calibration your Sub was set to -6dB, which adjusted the volume to the correct level.
  16. Alps

Alps Member

Ratings:
    +57
    Thanks TBF. I was quite certain the 80db wouldn't have been the issue but just wanted to be certain.

And thanks for saving me the trouble of Searching my statutory rights :thumbs:

The speakers will be going back next week. A touch gutted as I'd wanted the 5005's since I first saw them years ago :-(

So, now, what speakers would you all advise for around the £800 mark? Second hand is no problem.
  17. TheBlueFalcon

Ratings:
    +572
    If you like the speakers then I would say stick with them, but get a better subwoofer. A BK XXLS400 or an MK VX850/VX860/VX1250 would be a huge improvement over the HTB2SE.
  18. Wavod

Wavod Member

Ratings:
    +58
    ......... Or if you're feeling really cheeky, a BK Monolith :devil: (check out the BK Electronics website).
    I love KEF speakers with a passion,and have had many through the years, but I find subs are their weak link IMHO (No offense KEF :rolleyes:)
    Apart from fulfilling all your bass needs the Monolith is a lovely piece of furniture...given you've got the space.... for a very reasonable price for what it is!! Maybe check out the BK Monolith threads as well?? :smashin:
  19. Alps

Alps Member

Ratings:
    +57
    Nope. Out of principle the 5005's are going back. The retailer has taken the piddle - and still is - beyond belief!

If I can get something more suitable at roughly the same price then it makes sense. If not, I'll get the 5005's from a decent retailer.

My thinking may sound odd (cutting the nose to spite....) but really it's not. I'm still fighting for my 3D glasses, which are even on my receipt, my warranty paperwork... and possibly a new TV, as it was supposed to be.

Wavod, I did read about the Monolith a while back but didn't really pay much attention. Will do now though :D
  20. Wavod

Wavod Member

Ratings:
    +58
    Sounds like you've had a really bumpy ride of late :(
    Hopefully you are on the audio road to recovery from now on :thumbsup:.
  21. TheBlueFalcon

Ratings:
    +572
    I totally agree. When I said about sticking with the Kef speakers, I meant from another retailer. :)

From what I understand, the Monolith will go a bit lower than the XXLS400, but the 400 will give a better performance higher up the frequencies. I've never heard either of them, so I can only go on what others have said.
  22. Alps

Alps Member

Ratings:
    +57
    So for the £800 range the KEF's would be the best choice? I was contemplating facing the wrath of my wife and opting for some not too big floor standers ;-)
  23. Wavod

Wavod Member

Ratings:
    +58
    Depends......If you listen to music a lot floorstanders would be the way to go IMO.
  24. Charlts

Charlts Active Member

Ratings:
    +287
    Take your wife along and audition some good looking floor standers, Mrs C told a mate off this morning for putting a beer ontop of mine while the Rugby was on. You've got a decent avr, do some research and treat it to some decent speakers,:smashin:
  25. TheBlueFalcon

Ratings:
    +572
    You would really have to up your budget considerably to go with a 5.1 (or 7.1) system with decent floor standing speakers for the fronts.
  26. Wavod

Wavod Member

Ratings:
    +58
    Sounds like you've got a goodun' there. My missus would also show visitors the error of their ways too!!
    The kids are fully trained in the art of putting cds away after use-without touching the playing side of course ;)
    These sort of life skills are invaluable lessons for the future. Less important things like doing well at school etc. will come later :laugh:
  27. Alps

Alps Member

Ratings:
    +57
    Or go second hand ;)

There seem to be some good options in the Classified section on here or eBay.

So, guys, please give me some recommendations - baring in mind I will hardly ever listen to music on them.

My wife won't mind bigger speakers so long as the bigger speakers sound a lot better than the 5005'd... and don't cost a lot more.

I'm hoping there won't be a fight returning the KEF's for a full refund. If there isn't then I'll be wanting replacements ... or otherwise the same... very soon.
  28. TheBlueFalcon

Ratings:
    +572
    I don't really see the point in going for floor standing speakers if you won't be listening to much music. You will be better off looking at discontinued/clearance or 2nd hand Sub/Sat packages. Maybe the Kef 6000's, Monitor Audio Radius, or some MK stuff.
  29. Alps

Alps Member

Ratings:
    +57
    In that case, so longer as floor standers won't give me any better quality over smaller speakers, I'll look into the others, or else just stick with the 5005's :D

Thanks for the first set of suggestions TBF :thumbsup:
  30. Alps

Alps Member

Ratings:
    +57
    Just been doing some research and looking at B&W 602's and 686's.

What do you guys think about these for fronts and backs?

Or can you suggest any other B&W's?