Onkyo 3008-5008 owners thread.

If it was me, I would try REW first. Although it will take more time/effort, it's the cheaper than spending money on something that may not be needed. If money really isn't a problem then there's possibly another option on the way, but not available right now - unless you want to replace the 5008 with a 5508 and Power Amp.

The only way to find out for sure if there could be any further improvement over XT32/Sub EQ HT is to measure what is going on in the room. If there are any excessive peaks then an Antimode should help, but if not, then it's not likely to make any difference at all. Unless things can be measured and compared, then you have to pay out to take chances on the possible options and trust your ears/brain to work out if it's an improvement or not.

Just one other thing, why would consider an AS-EQ1 when the 5008 has the same technology onboard?

I thought the AS-EQ1 was more tweakable (nice word) than the 5008, & gave better results but I guess I could be wrong.

Anybody fancy a house sub party & help me get my head around rew, I'm not even sure if my mac has a sound card. Im a new mac user.

Last edited:
Just a possible feature coming to the Onkyo 3009 and 5009. It hasn't been confirmed yet, so may never happen. We will find out when Onkyo release the final spec.

I thought the AS-EQ1 was more tweakable (nice word) than the 5008, & gave better results but I guess I could be wrong.

Anybody fancy a house sub party & help me get my head around rew, I'm not even sure if my mac has a sound card. Im a new mac user.

I'm not sure about the options for the EQ1, but the Pro calibration of the Sub EQ does give some options, yes. In fact, the Audyssey Sub EQ would be the better option over the EQ1, if money isn't a problem. ;)

If you invite the right people, you could do a "bring a gadget party" and test out the possibilities as well as learning REW. :laugh:

If you invite the right people, you could do a "bring a gadget party" and test out the possibilities as well as learning REW. :laugh:[/QUOTE]

Great idea, :devil:

Sounds like a plan forming! :-D

How about it then fellow Onkyo owners, Is anyone interested in having a gadget party.

I'm happy to host it and will supply refreshments, the idea is you bring a AV gadget such as a SMS--1 or antimode, we try it out and take it from there.

I would really like to learn about REW and EQ for my sub. :lesson:

I'm based in Oxford but it doesn't have to held at my place, I'm happy to travel.

Well, over to you, if we get a few people interested could be a cracking evening or full day.

Andy.

How about it then fellow Onkyo owners, Is anyone interested in having a gadget party.

I'm happy to host it and will supply refreshments, the idea is you bring a AV gadget such as a SMS--1 or antimode, we try it out and take it from there.

I would really like to learn about REW and EQ for my sub. :lesson:

I'm based in Oxford but it doesn't have to held at my place, I'm happy to travel.

Well, over to you, if we get a few people interested could be a cracking evening or full day.

Andy.

I'm game for that, REW is something I'd like to learn more about. I have an anti mode I can bring along and could easily stretch to some biscuits!:smashin:

That's one then, we maybe on to something here, anyone fancy coming and showing us how to use REW.

Andy

Just got my new PB Ultra today, currently running XT32, will let you know how I get on.

I have got my new Boom stand so should get better results this time.

Room EQ Wizard,

It allows you to see the sound waves created buy for speaker, a tool which helps you to improve your sub performance.

Just found out that the 5009 and 3009 are listed on the Canadian web site and I just ordered the 5008
On Aug 11 I believe and still haven't got it.

I recently gave up the bi-amp facility on my 5008 in favour of rear surrounds. I don't want to give up the rear surrounds, but need a solution to bi-amp my fronts once again. In short I want the best of both worlds, but this can't be done with the 5008. I am confused as to the best way forward, and what kit should I use that would be a good match??

Just got my 5008 today. Hope to have it hooked up by next Friday as I don't
Know how to hook it up myself. It will be a 5.1 speaker setup using Energy
Veritas speakers. Will keep you posted when everything is set up.

Just got my 5008 today. Hope to have it hooked up by next Friday as I don't
Know how to hook it up myself. It will be a 5.1 speaker setup using Energy
Veritas speakers. Will keep you posted when everything is set up.

What u mean by I dont know how to hook up it?? u dont know nothing at all? or u have problem with something particularly?

I have been taking a look at the 5009/3009 and I must say they look pretty well specd but I am interested to find out if owners of the previous models had any issues with them? By this I don't mean hardware that was simply faulty I mean issues with firmware that don't get fixed or random quirks. It would be nice to know what issues there might be before I consider getting a demo.

Can some one explain to me what speakers A and speakers B mean? I am running a 5.1 home theatre all speakers
are in one room.?

Got my 5008 all hooked up and running but haven't run Audessy yet, still waiting to replace a speaker wire and
Then I will give it a go.

Got my 5008 all hooked up and running but haven't run Audessy yet, still waiting to replace a speaker wire and
Then I will give it a go.

What are your impressions so far? What has it replaced?

I missed your previous question about speakers A and B. You may have already found the answer by now, but if not then it is usually when the main Left and Right outputs can be shared between two sets of speakers - which is basically like having a built-in 2-way speaker switch box.

What are your impressions so far? What has it replaced?

I missed your previous question about speakers A and B. You may have already found the answer by now, but if not then it is usually when the main Left and Right outputs can be shared between two sets of speakers - which is basically like having a built-in 2-way speaker switch box.

From what I have heard the Onkyo 5008 is very good, however I have
Never personally owned a receiver speaker setup in my life but I have heard
A few.

Just purchased one of the last Onkyo 3008 receivers brand new for £1,100.00 including delivery.. I think its a good price? I am upgrading from the Onkyo 608 and the main reason was due to Audyssey XT32 and Sub EQ also the fact that I think this will serve my B&W CM9's , CMC2 centre and the M1' as surrounds better. I am expecting delivery tomorrow. Any tips or comments or advice would be appreciated :)

Just purchased one of the last Onkyo 3008 receivers brand new for £1,100.00 including delivery.. I think its a good price? I am upgrading from the Onkyo 608 and the main reason was due to Audyssey XT32 and Sub EQ also the fact that I think this will serve my B&W CM9's , CMC2 centre and the M1' as surrounds better. I am expecting delivery tomorrow. Any tips or comments or advice would be appreciated :)

Would like to try the Audessy with my 5008 but haven't done it yet. From what the forum says it works pretty well. Let us know how well yours went
when you run it.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom